Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,720 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account (8956 Views)

How To Link Your BVN To Your UBA Account Without Going To The Bank / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! / My ATM Card Was Stolen And Money Was Withdrawn Within Hours - Advice Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kok(m): 1:53pm On Aug 31, 2009
It is obvious that U compromised your ATM card information through the internet because this is the only way these fraudsters operate successfully without having your ATM card physically. I have had people receivel text messages from "MTN N" id congratulating them that they 've won certain prize, and directing them to a website, there you would be requested to enter your ATM card information that your account will be credited through it. I am sure this is what might have happened in your case. If only you can tell us (NLs) what actually happen.

Your case as it is in the nigerian situation is a kinda hopeless one. I dont think there is anything u can do about that.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 3:57pm On Aug 31, 2009
this may be an insider thing.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by utotomixxx(m): 1:12pm On Sep 01, 2009
@poster update us on your status
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by compgeek(m): 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2009
Thanks all for the concern. I spoke with someone in their head office and I wasked to write an appeal letter which I've done. and I was asked to give them another 10-working days from today - The 1st of September. so hopefully on the 10th, I'll hear the outcome again. embarassed

Looks like there's just stalling me. Please is there anyone I can reach in the media (The newspapers) maybe they'll take me more seriously cry

I can even attach d crazy letter they sent. and NO, I did not reply to any scam e-mails. For crying out loud, I studied information programming in school, I know what hackers are capable of cry cry

The most annoying part of their letter was a line that said I "UNWITTINGLY GAVE MY PIN OUT"

Imagine that, Insult!! on top of my money

Someone should please just hook me up with anyone in the media embarassed
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GurusForum: 10:07pm On Sep 01, 2009
Let me tell you the truth of the matter. ATM cards can be cloned
- especially Magnetic type - and that is the reason InterSwitch
is working on chip type.

Also, if a fraudulent person got the number on your ATM card,
they can use a software online to decode your pin. So, your pin is
useless if your ATM card no. has gone out. Those hackers will use
your ATM card details to buy recharge cards online, print it and
sell at a very price to vendors.

Howe do they get such info?

It might be from an insider in the bank or your relations.

They clone websites of banks and send email to you claiming
your account is problematic. You will be asked to fill a form
whereby your ATM card number and pin are revealed.

You are sent a text message from MTN, Glo, Etisalat, Zain or even
from your bank that you won a prize. To claim your prize, you should
text your ATM card pin and number. They may even ask you to go to a
cloned website.

My sincere advice:

If you are opening a bank account, open a fresh email account and
never use it to send email to anyone or post something online. Then,
use such email address when filling your bank account forms including
other online accounts like Liberty Reserve, PayPal, etc. This will
make it impossible for your email address to be extracted with email
extractor so that they can send rubbish email to you. If you don't
post online, how can someone send email that your account is problematic
to you? It's impossible.

Activate sms alert on your account. At least, if you don't authorize
any withdrawal, you can see the sms alert and rush to your nearest
branch to disable your ATM card.

If you ever receive text message or email that your bank account is
problematic, please don't reply or go to any website. Just rush to
your bank branch and confirm. Or if it's prize money from MTN, Zain,
Glo or whatever, please go to their nearest office to confirm or call
their customer care center.

Be wise.

I rest my case.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Amjustme: 12:05pm On Sep 02, 2009
UBA has always been a no-go area for me. They cheat everyone from their staff down to the customers. I hate UBA though i think their bad luck started after they joined with Standard Trust.

They steal alot esp thru their ATM machines, whether u their customer or not.

Which anyone who takes his money their or decides to use their ATM.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by candylips(m): 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2009
Am just me:

UBA has always been a no-go area for me. They cheat everyone from their staff down to the customers. I hate UBA though i think their bad luck started after they joined with Standard Trust.

They steal alot esp thru their ATM machines, whether u their customer or not.

Which anyone who takes his money their or decides to use their ATM.

undecided
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 03, 2009
A friend of mine also had the same experience with GTBank, a sum of 100, 000 was withdrawn frm her account in abeokuta, mean while she was in lagos when she got the debit alert on her phone and her ATM card was intact, d person withdrew d money 5 times 20 000 per withdrawal at fcmb i believe her card was cloned, could u believe dat till today d money was not paid back by GTB, though they were able to get d picture of d person who withdrew d money cos all Atms have cameras. Ensure dat dey produce a picture of d fraudstar he or she might be some one you knw. and if after trin all other suggestions given to u on nairaland and they still dont refund your money jst take heart and close ur account wit d UBA its a stupid bank anyway and open an account wit one of d first generation banks. ur money is safer there.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by daniy2k(m): 1:50pm On Sep 03, 2009
i swear,
today make it one year and three month that UBA atm did the same thing to me,though mine is smaller copare to the amout you lost to this God forsaken uba bank,i think the efcc should look properly into this issue before they send some one to untimely death, i lost 16,000 naira to UBA ATM AT LASU campus ojo only to tell me to wait for 6 working days only to decline my claims on the seventh day.now tell me isnt it safe to keep money at home when UBA as a bank wount stop using cutomers money to balance thier account.pls the efcc should look into this shamefull act.
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Brucekoko: 1:56pm On Sep 03, 2009
Hi, brother this is a serious case, but all the same you should give thanks to God, 4 once in a man's life there is bound to be a challenge, so take care my brother.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 8:59pm On Sep 03, 2009
the learn learnt is this; stop using bank atm cards that have only the magnetic tape.
patronise only those with enhanced security features like computer chip. simple!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by candylips(m): 10:07am On Sep 04, 2009
magnetic tape undecided thats like stone age technology
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by jepawski: 10:13am On Sep 04, 2009
I understand yoiur pain. It has happened to me before and to tell you the truth there is no way in knwoing who is actually responsible for this-  the crooks in the bank or the ones outside! In my case it was the bank crooks.

I band with UBA and to tell you the truth they have the most unprofessional staff you can get. They do all sort of wonders with your account. One Saturday last year I gor notified of  a series transactions on my account. the next monday  went straight to my account officer and raked1 Behold I was told it was a system malfunction and my money was quickly refunded. Some guys in there might have taken your money in the name of system malfunction!

Sorry but we have crook masquerading as bankers.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Druss(m): 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2009
I know two people that this has happened to at First Bank. I suggest getting a Savings account that isnt linked to a Current account and doesnt have an atm card. When you need to use money transfer money to the atm account and use it. That is what I have done since 2000. Had my first problem then - luckily I was at Natwest then and they refunded everything after I got a police report.

Most of the time - it is actually insider staff as well. Luckily I keep a very mobile account.

Banking in Nigeria is not as safe as it should be. Sometimes the best method is to store the cash in your house but that has its own pecularities.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 4:50pm On Sep 04, 2009
candylips:

magnetic tape undecided thats like stone age technology

yes, painful but true. a good number of banks still use that 'stone age' technology
as you call it. any wonder we're having these increasing cases of atm frauds?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by lala101: 12:20am On Sep 06, 2009
GUY TAKE HEART, THE MONEY NO TOO MUCH, JUST DEY Sope Tie.
PEOPLE DEY WEY DON LOOSE PASS THAT ONE, ok
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2009
so?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ohisng(m): 1:22pm On Sep 07, 2009
Hi,
na so these banks be. Same thing happened with me at First Bank at Siluko Road, Benin City. My card was always with me and no one ever sees it. Its a collaboration between banks and these fraudsters
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 6:34pm On Sep 07, 2009
did you say first bank? and were you using a first bank atm card or card from
another bank?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ohisng(m): 8:06am On Sep 08, 2009
Hi,
yes i meant first bank at siluko road, benin city!! Someone withdrew SIX times (N20, 000) each from my account on sunday and on monday and first bank sent me THREE (instead of six) alerts on TUESDAY (instead of monday)!!
Why did they send me THREE alerts when SIX withdrawals were made?
Why did they send me the alerts 24hours AFTER the withdrawals were made?
My advice:
FLEE FIRST BANK!!!
did you say first bank? and were you using a first bank atm card or card from
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 6:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
now, that's very serious. used to think first bank was one of the most reliable
banks in terms of atm transactions.

did you complain to their customer help desk?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ohisng(m): 8:40am On Sep 09, 2009
I did and as usual, they said i had compromised my pin code (their usual story). How come they sent me the sms ONE DAYY AFTER the fraud? How come they sent three sms instead of SIX?
FIRST BANK- truly the first in fraud!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ohisng(m): 8:43am On Sep 09, 2009
I did and as usual, they said i had compromised my pin code (their usual story). How come they sent me the sms ONE DAYY AFTER the fraud? How come they sent three sms instead of SIX?
FIRST BANK- truly the first in fraud!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by candylips(m): 9:08am On Sep 09, 2009
lol
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
sorry. i think it's an insider job. you should not lie low about it.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by nostopping: 12:59pm On Sep 24, 2009
@Comp geek

This should help out.

Send an email to cic@ubagroup.com - the UBA Group Customer Service team would proactively take this issue up.

You can also go to the link  http://www.ubagroup.com/contact/contact - this is the online complaint form of UBA Plc.

Kindly complete it giving the details in the body of the message box. These details would include: the account number and branch (if you are a UBA customer), the dates and exact times of the withdrawals/notifications, the amounts, your ATM card number.

The team would investigate asap and revert to you.

The UBA Group is engaging customers online as part of its service excellence drive and welcomes all feedback.

UBA Group has an active social media presence on:

Twitter - http://www.ubagroup.com/twitter

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/UBA-Group/86946405652?ref=ts

and

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/ubagroupvideos

Complaints sent via Twitter and Facebook have been satisfactorily addressed (from the customer's point of view). See the Twitter and Facebook pages.

The issue can be promptly investigated and resolved but you would need to get in touch with the Customer Service Group. The telephone number is +234-1-2808822.

All the best.

Just helping out
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ohisng(m): 2:58pm On Sep 24, 2009
First Bank, in Benin did same thing with my N120, 000!!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 6:10pm On Sep 27, 2009
really? that's very shocking ooooo! shocked
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Excellent7(m): 12:38pm On Nov 15, 2009
I hope you have blocked your ATM cards while pursuing the matter?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 10:46am On Nov 18, 2009
that's very important smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Voluntary Assets And Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDS): What You Need To Know / Enugu Market Fire: Traders Commend Fire Service, Government's Benevolence / China, Nigeria, Others Push Global Debt To A Record High Of $217 Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.