Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,857 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account (8933 Views)

How To Link Your BVN To Your UBA Account Without Going To The Bank / Staff In Nairalander's UBA Account-Issue Sacked! / My ATM Card Was Stolen And Money Was Withdrawn Within Hours - Advice Needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by compgeek(m): 1:06pm On Aug 21, 2009
Hi everyone,
Please please N please I dont know what to do. I had N174,800 withdrawn from my U.B.A account in bits. ( Apparently it was by an ATM card) but my ATM card didnt go missing, I stay alone and I have different pins for all my 3-ATM cards.

I reported to the bank and they said I should give them 10-working days which I did and now they declined my plea. Please I dont know whom to turn to.

The mini-statement I got from the ATM machine on the 9th of August showed that money was withdrawn on the 10th of August. WHen I got to the bank on the 10th, they said all weekend transactions are dated on the first working day of the week. PLEASE HELP!!!! embarassed
Anyone please!! embarassed embarassed
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by candylips(m): 1:28pm On Aug 21, 2009
hmm this is serious o undecided
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by SMSguru(m): 3:04pm On Aug 21, 2009
My brother, the situation you are in now is an unfortunate one but I don't think there's anything the bank can do about it. cry
Wonders will never cease! sad
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GboGboAye: 5:55am On Aug 22, 2009
i dont think u should give up like dat. Push for answers. The bank has an obligation to u, the client. If u can, take the police with u to threaten to arrest the manager. I swear.
Deactivate ur card and get another one. uj must have used it in a atm machine that had a copier that fraudsters put in there. The way to tellif the card receiver is fake is when it moves when u put ur card in it.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by donsilas(m): 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
I know someone who lost over a million naira frm ATM fraud.

I advise u dnt leave more than 15k in your account. Put the balance in Fixed Deposit - no matter the rate so far as you are just safeguarding your money. Collect the Phone number of your Account Officer in the branch. Call Him/Her when you are on your way to the bank to Liquidate the Fixed Deposit.

I'm telling you guys what i do.

I CAN'T STAND LOSING A KOBO - Imagine getting a debit alert of N10k when one is on Third Mainland Bridge that u just bought Plaintain Chips in Silverbird galleria of The Palms! grin

Be Wise Nairalanders!
God Bless us all!
And may He save us from Fraudsters!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by dinggle: 10:13pm On Aug 24, 2009
I have said it before Nigerians should revert to the old sch of paper checks or withdraw slip, see what ATM card has caused u! because if 419ers dont steal from u, bank insiders will especially now that they CBN is after them. Until banks will guarrantee insurance repayment for ATM fraud i will stick with paper check syndrome.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by MrCrackles(m): 10:16pm On Aug 24, 2009
Poster
Looks like your bank card has been cloned and used to withdraw funds from your account
Take it up to the bank and see what options are available
They should be able to refund it if it was fraudulent!
U wont get any help here so you need to speak to your bank
Goodluck
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Dynamiq(m): 2:17am On Aug 25, 2009
Hello all. It is a very sad news and it seems to be all over the place. I have experienced it twice at Bank PHB and they end up never refunding my money. What I have done to resolve it is to stop using ATM card.  My own investigation reveals, rather sadly, that unknown to many Nigerians, ATM technology in Nigeria is still bedevilled with many important flaws and loopholes but the banks will give you the impression that they have perfected it. It all boils down to one thing: while making the withdrawal of cash faster and more convenient, ATM compromises the safety of your money as its safety is no longer totally within the apparently more guaranteed security system of your bank. And so this gives the banks the excuse to blame other factors that are external for the lose of your money. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong, but it seems to me that many banks now capitalise on this to avoid accepting responsibilty for these growing incidents of loss of money from people's account. If you are still using ATM and nothing has happened to your money, you are simply being lucky, because in the process of trying to find 'better' banks, I discovered that many customers of other banks complain the same thing. I know many people who got into this mess even while using the ATM machines domiciled in the bank branch where they opened their accounts, so it is not a guarantee!!!
We just have to accept that we in Nigeria have not yet gotten to the promised land as far as ATM technology is concerned, and if you take into consideration the fact that these sorry incidents have dramatically increased since the inception of ATM technology in Nigeria, people who are so used to the use of ATM need not be told what to do now.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by otokx(m): 3:03am On Aug 26, 2009
Use your ATM cards in the ATM machines of the bank branch your account is domiciled.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kshow1(m): 12:18am On Aug 29, 2009
Why are you guys jumping into conclusion .
What if the guy is trying to defraud himself by withdrawing or sending someone to withdraw on his behalf and now claiming there was a fraudulent withdrawal from his account via ATM.

Let us think outside the box.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Cooleasy(m): 3:48am On Aug 29, 2009
As a banker and having seen the different views, I must confess that Dynamiq's analysis is realistic and to a large extent it speaks the truth of the situation, which most of us in the sector may officially not admit. Our sister banks all record such problems in their logs but the seriousness varies from bank to bank, but banks are really working hard to make sure that it becomes a thing of the past. It will become a thing of the past in the not too distant future. Share my optimism. Shalom!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Seun(m): 2:44pm On Aug 29, 2009
Close all your accounts with them and let them know the reason for it.

They should at least be able to supply you with a picture of the person that withdrew your cash.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Rikimaru: 2:57pm On Aug 29, 2009
CALM DOWN!! BREATH!!! Don't worry, the same thing happened to a family member of mine. You will still get your money back. First thing you need to do is deposit 3 letters, one letter with EFCC, one letter with CBN, and one letter with your bank. Explaining everything in detail of what happened. Eventually, if they cannot catch the crook, they will still pay you your money. This has happend to my father several times and he always regained his money back. Ummmmm, but in my situation the crooks withdrew money with false checks that's why it was so easy to catch the idiots, if they used an atm with a cloned card, it might be a little more complicated.

Let us know when you get your money back.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by BankoleO1: 3:11pm On Aug 29, 2009
REPORT THE CASE TO EFCC AND ARREST THE BANK MANAGER SIMPLE 100 and WHAT!!!! F***K YOU R WEEPING INSTEAD OF JAILING OR CRACKING DOWN THE BASTARD THAT STOLE YOUR MONEY!!!

Man samething that almost happened to me at gtbank in my own case 2k was withdraw every 1wk, I just stormed into the bank and emptied my account on my way out a regular assistant asked why I did such I told her give me my bank statement of account and asked for a red pen I underlined all the 2k that was withdrawn from my account and even asked her when last she saw me enter the bank because everytime I get to the bank and I see a crowed I just whisper to her to give me help to avoid joining the line, she her self was confused and was surprised.  I just left 1k for them till date if they like let them take the 1k bloody animals  grin grin grin grin

Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by larryshow4(m): 3:25pm On Aug 29, 2009
@poster and all other NL.

Your card has been "cloned card". I read into that and discovered that what they (ATM FRAUDERS) do is stay close to you while you using your ATM card and they get to study your PIN and they need to know the bank you using the ATM card, they already know the other numbers and i guess they need the last 6 or 7 number, not too sure, so for you that print your receipt copy and drop it on the floor. Bad for you. and also with the expiring date, they have a machine that clones the card and they have a copy of that kind of card. Once the Card is Slinde though the machine, it reads all info on that card to the Cloned card and they take this to ATM machine far away from where they stay and withdrew your money. That simple. But there is only one Solution for now. Go to your bank and get the New ATM that has the "VISA" Logo on it. That can't be cloned for now cause its a SIM like form. unlike the old ones. for those of you that are still using the old Kind. Don't let people get close to you at the ATM machine and always take away your Receipt. I really wish your bank can do something about this but i am 80% sure they can't do anything.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by galatico(m): 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2009
Chei!!! E bi like say I go go withdraw all my money for UBA account I no want story!!!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by kauza: 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2009
i think uba need to work on their softwares,its really a pity that these hackers have also gotten into their sms alert stuff.i sometimes get an sms alert that their is a deposit into my account and when i get to the bank ,i get to find out that it isnt so.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by beewhyfocs(m): 3:48pm On Aug 29, 2009
Im still wondering if this claim is true. It sounds someone is  cooking up something for casual discuss. I dont think you will loose such money without making proper complain that can repay your money back.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by oge4real(f): 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2009
Although I dont like UBA, I know that this ATM fraud is not only peculiar to them.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by axeman85(m): 4:14pm On Aug 29, 2009
@poster

sorry to hear that its very sad to hear

and those that are asking if it is true or not. yes it is true in countries like the uk all you have to do is go to the bak branch and query it and they will give you a form to fill out and immediately you are refunded back your money and the bank will query it by looking at cctv footages of the cash point becos all points has cctv in the uk, so its easy to identify who took paymnets but in nigeeria thats not the case. its all just pathetic. i have told my wife not to use my card in any atm if she does and my money goes missing, she will refund it. lol
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by koolchicco: 4:50pm On Aug 29, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by GeorgeD1(m): 5:21pm On Aug 29, 2009
you seem to be a victim of atm fraud. sorry about this but you can still get your money back
by following the proper channels through your bank customer complaints desk.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by axeman85(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2009
even if he compalines to the complaints desk nothing will be done and even if something is done it will take time and you must keep hounding them or else they wont even look at your comlain.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by ichommy(m): 5:47pm On Aug 29, 2009
chei god ooo  i just dont know why i hate UBA so much  shocked rubbish UBA KO  ABU NI
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Donvilo(m): 6:02pm On Aug 29, 2009
Na only baba God knows wetin happen for dat money. shocked
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by SamMilla1(m): 6:10pm On Aug 29, 2009
why 3 ATM cards for one bank account?
what are your chances of securing their pin numbers from everybody that stays around you?
I hardly believe you anyway
no hard feelings
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by rickie4us(m): 6:53pm On Aug 29, 2009
well, Nigerians are very innovative people. I learnt that there are some people whose jobs now is to look for the number of the ATM Card and expiry date.
One strategy they use is that , they queue up behind u when you are trying to withdraw money with your ATM Card. They try to spy the last few digits of your card and the expiry so that they can clone another one. Also, if you are unlucky, they get to know your PIN no since it is just 4 digits by watching the sequence of the numbers you press on the ATM. So, my advice is that you should never allow anyone see your card, the number and the expiration date, especially your PIN. It is really easy to clone ATM Cards.
My advice also goes to the guys that want to impress their girlfriends by giving them their ATM cards to make withdrawals. They may have some of these yahoo yahoo boys as friends and give them your card details and PIN no and your money will just disappear. So, the bank is not to blame in many of these cases.
Thirdly, there has been some phony sites coming up especially fake MTN websites. These fraudsters send you a text message saying that you have won 1million naira and that you should enter some details in their website. Of course, the text message is sent in such a way that you will believe it is from MTN since they will use the MTN ID to send you the text message. I have received such phony text messages and of course, I knew they were fake. They directed me to yellofifa.com , The site opened and it was very similar to the regular mtnonline.com , what was different about it was that when you click on any link, it takes you back to the home page.
Well, they asked me for some details like the winning code that was sent to me and my phone number. I put in those and they said congratulations, my number is confirmed. They also asked me for more details like my bank account so that they can pay money in. I gave them fake names and fake bank account and then, I was taken to another page again for another verification of my ATM card , they need my ATM no, expiry date and pin to confirm that I am real and not a fraudulent person who wants to steal another person's money ,
Anybody here in nairaland who has had a similar experience? , waiting for your response all ,
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by emmajaci: 7:21pm On Aug 29, 2009
Every one should switch to verve cards. if u are still using the magnetic stripe atm cards, you are prone to atm fraud. Demand that your banks switch to verve cards as mandated by cbn. We should commend INTERCONTINENTAL BANK, SKYE BANK, F.C.M.B that have already complied.
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Igwe9(m): 7:38pm On Aug 29, 2009
Seun:

Close all your accounts with them and let them know the reason for it.

They should at least be able to supply you with a picture of the person that withdrew your cash.
That makes little sense, but come to think of it, are all the ATM machines equipped with security cameras?
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Nobody: 7:55pm On Aug 29, 2009
Karma's a bleeping bitch aint it.
When Nigerians were defrauding the west, using credit cards to order shit over the internet, people claimed ignorance
Now Nigerians are being defrauded and we're now making noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by pizonewave: 7:56pm On Aug 29, 2009
Well i understand your grief, and its quite sad. but if your claims are genuine, then your case can be solved quite easily. the ATM machine is equipped with devices that can trace every transaction done on it and by whom. also from your bank statements it can be revealed which ATM machines all your money was withdrawn from. so my dear, UBA can still do alot in verifing your claims and taking action vis a vis reversals. always remember that your funds/deposits are supposed to be covered by NDIC in a case of theft. Good Luck!
Re: Please Everyone: Help! N174,800 Was Withdrawn From My UBA Account by Chrisbenogor(m): 8:32pm On Aug 29, 2009
A-town:

Karma's a bleeping bitch aint it.
When Nigerians were defrauding the west, using credit cards to order shit over the internet, people claimed ignorance
Now Nigerians are being defrauded and we're now making noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats bull crap if you aint got nothing to say shut it!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CBN Injects $388.66m Into Foreign Exchange Market As FCMB Increases Sales To / FIRS, NIPOST Battle Over Control Of Stamp Duties Funds / My Debit Card Is Retained In Atm Machine.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.