Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,855 members, 7,851,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:11 AM

Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi (5676 Views)

Emir Lamido Sanusi At The Hajj Pilgrimage In Mecca (Photos) / President Jonathan Visits Emir Of Kano, Lamido Sanusi (Photos) / I am Now Sarkin, Not Emir Of Kano - Sanusi Lamido (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by blesdman(m): 6:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
On this particular scenario, I do really think that all should watch as events unfold, we should be looking at the next 1 week.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by biina: 7:23pm On Aug 26, 2009
I find it amusing (and a quite disappointing), that not one of the anti-Sanusi poster has proclaimed the innocence of the sacked executives. Rather they are focused on speculating as to the ulterior motives of the action.
If said executives are indeed guilty of malpractices should they not be sacked? undecided

Sanusi (and anyone that has been a top executive in the banking sector for a substantial time), has a good idea of who the main culprits are of banking malpractices. The audit only serves to confirm suspicion and thus would have started from the most suspicious banks. To start otherwise, or waste time in taking action, is to lose his advantage and possibly the opportunity.

For those that argue of a northern buyout, Sanusi sacked the executive and not the shareholders, and so I dont see what is stopping same shareholders from appointing new executives. It only becomes an opportunity for a takeover, if the shareholders cannot put forward credible executives, and thus decide to pull their funds from the bank on the grounds that their interests cannot be protected. In which case, it is good riddance to bad rubbish.

If indeed Sanusi is simply protecting Northern interests, can same not then be said of his predecessor protecting southern interest (afterall no one was brought to book when Soludo was in office)? If Sanusi weeds out the southern bad eggs and ignores the northern ones, do we not only need to wait for a southern CBN governor to cull the remaining Northern weeds?

I am all for kicking out any bad eggs in the sector, and would rather we focus on suggesting policies that would ensure that the decay is not repeated, than speculate as to the ulterior motives of Sanusi or some phantom northern oligarchy.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2009
Biina Welcome back

the issue is if Sanusi wants to protect Northern Interest he can simply do that by granting licences to Northern Business men
He does not have to forcefully takeover existing banks

We do not want to cultivate a cycle of Bank takeovers each time there is a new CBN Governor, that is capable of destroying the Financial Sector itself. So Sanusi can not hastily take over 5 existing banks and before we know it he is already plotting to sell them off.

That is ill-productive and all fair minded Nigerian, North and South should oppose it.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by Jarus(m): 7:40pm On Aug 26, 2009
biina:

I find it amusing (and a quite disappointing), that not one of the anti-Sanusi poster has proclaimed the innocence of the sacked executives. Rather they are focused on speculating as to the ulterior motives of the action.
If said executives are indeed guilty of malpractices should they not be sacked? undecided

Sanusi (and anyone that has been a top executive in the banking sector for a substantial time), has a good idea of who the main culprits are of banking malpractices. The audit only serves to confirm suspicion and thus would have started from the most suspicious banks. To start otherwise, or waste time in taking action, is to lose his advantage and possibly the opportunity.

For those that argue of a northern buyout, Sanusi sacked the executive and not the shareholders, and so I dont see what is stopping same shareholders from appointing new executives. It only becomes an opportunity for a takeover, if the shareholders cannot put forward credible executives, and thus decide to pull their funds from the bank on the grounds that their interests cannot be protected. In which case, it is good riddance to bad rubbish.

If indeed Sanusi is simply protecting Northern interests, can same not then be said of his predecessor protecting southern interest (afterall no one was brought to book when Soludo was in office)? If Sanusi weeds out the southern bad eggs and ignores the northern ones, do we not only need to wait for a southern CBN governor to cull the remaining Northern weeds?

I am all for kicking out any bad eggs in the sector, and would rather we focus on suggesting policies that would ensure that the decay is not repeated, than speculate as to the ulterior motives of Sanusi or some phantom northern oligarchy.
What a fine input, especially the bolded!
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by biina: 7:43pm On Aug 26, 2009
@Mikeansy
Thanks

The question is 'is there any evidence of a takeover or just speculation?'
I am not advocating that bank ownership to revolve with the CBN governorship, but rather that there is no permanency in the action if it is confirmed true. Thus, to use it as an excuse to let wrongdoers remain in office is poor judgment.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by naijaking1: 2:14am On Aug 27, 2009
biina:

This thread is about Sanusi, so please don't confuse the issue. The culpability or otherwise of the sacked CEOs are already before the courts.

Just like Sanusi, these bank CEOs have a discretion on management issues. To disagree with them about their style is one thing, but to criminalize their style simply because you disagree is quite another. Bye the way, Sanusi's tendency to squash the opposing view is evident in the manner he fired the 2 deputy CBN governors who opposed his unorthodox style. Somebody ought to teach Sanusi that there's some degree of democracy in the boards of banks and parastatals.

You have forgotten that Sanusi did not have time to consult the shareholders in this case. Infact, he announced replacement of the CEOs without any reference to the people who have money in the bank. He didn't only replace CEOs, he even dissolved the board of directors.

With time Sanusi's long term goal would become apperent no matter how much he want to confuse and obsfucate. It's no secret that like many other northerners, he wants more control of the banks. At the moment, he was quoted as looking to have Asians buy into 2 of the dissolved banks. Whether it's a backyard approach to handing control of these banks to northerners, time will tell. The truth is that more southerners put their money in these banks, so why the surprise that they control most of them?
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by biina: 2:51am On Aug 27, 2009
naijaking1:

This thread is about Sanusi, so please don't confuse the issue. The culpability or otherwise of the sacked CEOs are already before the courts.
Are you not questioning his objectivity? and if said CEOs are indeed guilty, where then is the lack of objecvtivity?

Just like Sanusi, these bank CEOs have a discretion on management issues. To disagree with them about their style is one thing, but to criminalize their style simply because you disagree is quite another. Bye the way, Sanusi's tendency to squash the opposing view is evident in the manner he fired the 2 deputy CBN governors who opposed his unorthodox style. Somebody ought to teach Sanusi that there's some degree of democracy in the boards of banks and parastatals.
Doctoring accounts is not 'discretion on management issues'.
Any organizational head is justified to relieve of his position any subordinate that is deem not doing enough to fulfill his duties. I doubt you raised an eyebrow when Soludo sacked Wahir Mshelia.

You have forgotten that Sanusi did not have time to consult the shareholders in this case. Infact, he announced replacement of the CEOs without any reference to the people who have money in the bank. He didn't only replace CEOs, he even dissolved the board of directors.
The CBN has appointed interim CEO/MDs along with injection of funds, which I believe is fair enough and fully within its capacity as the apex bank. He also did not dissolve the entire board, but only removed executive directors. The shareholders still own the bank and have the right to appoint executives once the interim period is over.

With time Sanusi's long term goal would become apperent no matter how much he want to confuse and obsfucate. It's no secret that like many other northerners, he wants more control of the banks. At the moment, he was quoted as looking to have Asians buy into 2 of the dissolved banks. Whether it's a backyard approach to handing control of these banks to northerners, time will tell. The truth is that more southerners put their money in these banks, so why the surprise that they control most of them?
Why don't you wait till then, instead of making unsubstantiated claims as to a planned takeover by a phantom Northern oligarchy undecided
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by naijaking1: 4:21am On Aug 27, 2009
biina:

Are you not questioning his objectivity? and if said CEOs are indeed guilty, where then is the lack of objecvtivity?
Doctoring accounts is not 'discretion on management issues'.

Nobody is holding brief for any corrupt CEOs, but they must be given due process, whether you like it or not.

Any organizational head is justified to relieve of his position any subordinate that is deem not doing enough to fulfill his duties. I doubt you raised an eyebrow when Soludo sacked Wahir Mshelia.

Is it pay back time? I beg, people money are on the line in many of these banks.

The CBN has appointed interim CEO/MDs along with injection of funds, which I believe is fair enough and fully within its capacity as the apex bank. He also did not dissolve the entire board, but only removed executive directors. The shareholders still own the bank and have the right to appoint executives once the interim period is over.

So-called injection of 400billion into 5 banks worth more than 1 trillion hardly justifies as an excuse to nationalize the banks. Sure the shareholders still own the banks, but that's to the extent that the new board will not hopelessly dilute their share strenght.

Why don't you wait till then, instead of making unsubstantiated claims as to a planned takeover by a phantom Northern oligarchy undecided

At least we agree on one thing, wait and see.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by biina: 4:40am On Aug 27, 2009
naijaking1:

Nobody is holding brief for any corrupt CEOs, but they must be given due process, whether you like it or not.
and what is the due process that is lacking?

Is it pay back time? I beg, people money are on the line in many of these banks.
Nobody said it was pay back time. You raised the point of the deputy governors that were sacked by Sanusi as if it should be an issue of concern. I only pointed out that they are not the first (and likely) wont be the last to lose their jobs. Hence no need to try make a mountain of a mole hill.

So-called injection of 400billion into 5 banks worth more than 1 trillion hardly justifies as an excuse to nationalize the banks. Sure the shareholders still own the banks, but that's to the extent that the new board will not hopelessly dilute their share strenght.
The CBN provided funds to shore up their capital base. No shares have been bought and no nationalization process has been initiated. Again, wait for evidence before spreading doom and gloom.

At least we agree on one thing, wait and see.
We differ on approach, as I do not approve of your approach of crying 'wolf' when there is none.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by naijaking1: 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2009
@biina
You're the one crying wolf, otherwise how do you support Sabusi against the 5 CEOs? If you and Sanusi had not cried wolf, maybe someone would have been more objective in evaluating and correcting any percieved shortcomings in our banking sector without resorting to this crude, brutal, and illegal way of changing the banks' ownership.

Meanwhile, every new available evidence pulls the rug off Sanusi's feet, and yours too.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-315416.0.html#top
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by biina: 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2009
naijaking1:

@biina
You're the one crying wolf, otherwise how do you support Sabusi against the 5 CEOs? If you and Sanusi had not cried wolf, maybe someone would have been more objective in evaluating and correcting any percieved shortcomings in our banking sector without resorting to this crude, brutal, and illegal way of changing the banks' ownership.

Meanwhile, every new available evidence pulls the rug off Sanusi's feet, and yours too.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-315416.0.html#top
Is it that you do not get the meaning of the phrase 'to cry wolf'? undecided
You are the one crying wolf by spreading news of an impending takeover of the banking sector by the north, without any hard evidence to support it. and I dont get the point of the article you referenced.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by naijaking1: 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2009
I beg open your eyes, or close it as the case maybe.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-315531.0.html
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by rhymz(m): 9:43pm On Aug 27, 2009
rhymz:

Just like I have been arguing since Lamido for reasons best known to him rushed to anounce the sack of these CEOs and further plunge into details of how insolvent thier banks were and almost even declared them bankrupt,obviously,this decision does't look like it was well thought out.Now there are reports that these 5 banks might need up 1trillion due to thier indebtedness both to the CBN and other banks.The question that comes to mind is,what if they discover at the end of the audit exercise that more banks are deeply insolvent?Yes,he was able to decipher the insolvency symptoms from these five banks due to the fact that they accounted for more than 80% of the EDW and the inter-bank market but are these enough guarantees to conclude that the remaining 13 banks won't throw up another shocker?He must have underestimated the extent of the problem to think that anouncing the overhaul of the managements and injecting a mere #400bill into these 5 banks will solve the problem,I guess he now realizes that the problem goes far beyond risk management.For instance,according to report,one of the banks almost immediately exhuasted it's own share of the #420bill,it was reported that the said bank was owing CBN #60bill and other banks #70bill,one just wonders if sanusi and his team did a thorough audit of these banks before rushing out cos obviously they ve been caught unawares.Another question which many of us re not asking is where are these funds coming from?I mean this is a government that is still deadlocked with ASUU over funds talking about saving 5 privately owned banks with #1trillion.Besides,does the national assembly know about this?Is this mystery money coming from Yaradua's or Lamido's pockets?If it's from our reserves then I want to believe it's not a CBN solo project,the merits and demerits of releasing this huge amount will ve to be debated at the national assembly and this might take time,my gues is the banks will have to wait.
I believe Sanusi should ve been a bit patient and do a thorough auditing on all the 23 banks,work out less fatal modalities for solving this problem especially in these areas:formulate laws that make it almost impossible to indulge in bad corporate governance etc,root out the bad eggs in the CBN that ve hitheto given pass marks to these banks even when it was glaringly clear that they were gravely distressed,go after the crooks that have collected huge non-servicing loans from these banks without making any attempts to pay back,evaluate the actual extent of the problem so as to know how much fund to be mobilised to solve the problem and then finally, systematically depose of the management team of the failing banks.This way,his sanitization exercise will be more effective and ppl won't ve any insinuations but with his present mafia style,which makes the situation more about him, there's so much to read into it and they re very strong arguements.God help this country,Sanusi to me,does luk like he has the wit of a CBN governor,he thinks he can be successful without the same ppl he is tryin to fight.The guy is not thorough at all.Rist mgtment my ass.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by bolido: 10:01am On Sep 02, 2009
I think a lot of people here are actually quite ignorant. In this age of instant information over the internet, the least you can do is research. I am a yoruba guy, so I'm not trying to support Sanusi as a matter of tribalism.

1. Sanusi is not a tribalist. If he's participating in a Northern agenda then he is not knowingly doing it. This man has written articles, as far back as 2000, criticising the interpretation of Sharia law and some eminent Northern Islamic scholars. He is an intellectual who tries to reason from a grounds up level. His articles can be found on the internet if you do a google search of his name - I didn't make it up.

2. He is a radical who believes in changing systems to make them more efficient. Whether he's going about this particular issue in the right manner or not remains to be seen.

3. He has visited London since these announcements to pacify foreign investors that the economy is in good shape. He has explained why he took his actions. Even though S&P downgraded Nigeria, Fitch has maintained a halt on our ratings.

4. He has explained that the reason his actions were carried out suddenly was because of the element of surprise. We all know the Nigerian system. As soon as the 'big men' get wind of an impending strike against them, they will employ all manner of political maneuvers to derail the action.

5. The 5 banks had an enormous amount of debt on their books. They were on their way to failing. The only thing that could save them was Government injection of funds (which they had been getting for several months anyway). Sanusi felt the CEO's had acted irresponsibly. It is a lesson for the future - no one is too big to be touched. He has the power to remove the CEO's otherwise he wouldn't have done it. As he rightly said, the debts were not being paid, the banks were going to fail, and that would have had an impact on the economy anyway. So why not take pro-active action now and minimise whatever impact it may have on the economy?

6. Someone ridiculously asserted that Sanusi lied about his age because he would have graduated at the age of 19 which was improbable considering his tribe. That is balderdash and tribalism of the highest order. In the 80's when the University system was still sound, entering University at the age of 15 / 16 was no big deal (I did in 1992). You can finish a 4 year course by the end of your 19th birthday / beginning of 20th birthday. And Sanusi is an intellectual. By the way, he got his B.Sc Econs from ABU before he did Islamic studies in Sudan. He lectured in Economics at ABU and has worked with several banks including international banks.

7. He has volunteered to resign if anyone can fault the basic fundamentals behind his decision making. That sounds like the statement of a honourable man.

I will stop here for now. Give the man a chance. Just because Soludo is a professor does not mean he's a better CBN governor. Professors are well known for pontificating but being very inept at carrying out the job. The fact that Soludo did an okay job is an exception to the rule. The next year shall reveal to us whether this man is on the right track or not.
Re: Questions For Sanusi Lamido Sanusi by 1stdon1: 11:11pm On Sep 07, 2009
i dont want sanusi to bring islamic banking or wateva he cals it. he shud not impose islamic rules on us. because not all of us are muslims.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Five Nigerian Men Arrested In Dubai For Robbing With Toy Guns ( Photo ) / What Was Paid To Some States In Nigeria In 2013 Ws More Than The Budget Of Ghana / What Is South Africa Doing Right, That Nigeria Is Failing To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.