Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps (5443 Views)

"It Can Never Happen!...Tinubu Cannot Make His Lagos Boy My Governor" - OBJ / Senators Reject Buhari’s Emergency Powers Bill, Say It’ll Turn Him Into A Tyrant / Agatu Massacre: Victims Accuse Buhari’s Govt Of Insensitivity - VANGUARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 5:11am On May 27, 2016
ABUJA—THE Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, vowed, yesterday, that no hoodlum or group of people will overrun the country or illegally occupy any part of it under his watch as the chief police officer.

Arase made this vow while answering questions from lawmakers at a public hearing on the “influx of herdsmen to Benue State and the clashes among Tiv, Agatu communities and Fulani herdsmen” put together by the House of Representatives Committee on Police Affairs.

He further explained that the force prioritised the protection of lives and properties of Nigerian communities, adding that “every life lost diminishes humanity as a whole.”

Arase said: “I have taken an oath to effectively police and protect every security space in Nigeria and I will continue to do that within the ambit of the law and to the best of my ability and that of my officers and men. And I make bold to say that the Nigerian state cannot be overrun by hoodlums; I can assure you.”

Earlier, the Deputy Governor of Benue State, Mr. Benson Abonu, told the committee: “There appears to be a systematic move to annihilate the people of Benue State to establish a kingdom or some kind of rulership.

“It has taken a national dimension. They want to weaken Benue, and then cross over to other parts of the country. Right now, they have their presence in Kogi, they have attacked Ekiti, Oyo and still counting. We have made this known to the Army and other security agencies.”

In their presentation earlier on Wednesday, the Tiv communities, led by President General, Mr. Edward Ujege, recommended that N100 billion compensation be paid to assuage the loss of lives and properties as well as total eviction of herdsmen.

On the way forward, the Tiv communities said: “Ranching, as the only way out of this crises, should be established and run by individuals.
“They are not government’s cattle and so government has no business providing ranches. The establishment of ranches should be done up-north, where there are vast expanse of land.”

Herdsmen shun hearing
However, the umbrella body of Fulani herdsmen in Nigeria, Miyetti Allah Cattle Rearers Association, again stayed away from the public hearing, despite receiving invitation, thrice, to appear at the hearing from the committee chairman, Haliru Jika.

The Department of State Services, DSS, told the committee it would make its written presentation in camera, as information at its disposal were sensitive.

“We have put in place strategic initiatives. The President gave a directive that I go in there and see how I can restore nomalcy and bring back peace in Benue state. I had a town hall meeting with stakeholders in Benue, where each of the parties presented their positions verbally and in writing.

“It was a very protracted argument. But before leaving, I was able to come up with some strategies as to how to mitigate this crisis, which I presented to the governments of Benue and Nasarawa states.”

Tiv youths
Tiv youths also made their presentation, saying “there was never a clash. They were calculated and well planned attacks aimed at occupation our land. There is an established vision on the pattern of attacks, which occurred on mostly coastal communities along the River Benue and River Buruku.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/agatu-massacre-itll-never-happen-igp-assures-reps/

1 Share

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by HungerBAD: 5:23am On May 27, 2016
Following.

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by inkon: 5:34am On May 27, 2016
His promises are as worthless as the scum of sea.

Under your watch sir, thousands were killed and their homes taken by the same culprits.

under your very watch teenage girls were forcefully taken from their parents and given out for marriage. When those parents cried to you for help, you said it was beyond you.

Under your own watch sir, baby crimes have grown into abomination.

So....why would anybody believe you now?

We sure know the purpose you are serving.

9 Likes

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 5:36am On May 27, 2016

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by DaBullIT(m): 6:03am On May 27, 2016
And that's why i always call for total annihilation for every terrorist cell in the country

And i expect sane people to understand that , not those who will come here and tell me ND avengers or the brotherhood that followed are not terrorists

iLegend:
In a lawless country saying something will not happen again is like challenging the perpetrator.

Example: Niger Delta Avengers and Boko Haram.

The more you blab the more actions they take.
Take action, but don't talk actions.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by YoursGEJ(m): 6:45am On May 27, 2016
Shouldn't he be arresting the perpetrators? Or has he met with them to know that they won't do it again.

Yesterday, he hosted PDP warring factions to settle their quarrel...a private matter.

This man deserves to be fired
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 8:24am On May 27, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by chikel2000(m): 8:24am On May 27, 2016
Amen I pray it doesn't. Any ranch or grazing reserve. Should be in the north not south. Dis guys hv vest land mass
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Lajilajo(f): 8:25am On May 27, 2016
Stories that touches my abdomen
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Sunnycliff(m): 8:25am On May 27, 2016
Where were you guys when it happened once, twice and even the third time
Trust NPF at your own peril!

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 8:26am On May 27, 2016
Ok nah.

You mean it will never happen in Agatu but can still happen elsewhere in Nigeria.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by ORACLE1975(m): 8:33am On May 27, 2016
Are u sure Mr arase
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Sirheny007(m): 8:36am On May 27, 2016
I believe he will have a smart excuse to give when next it happens again.....
In Nigeria, promises dont mean nothing..
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 8:38am On May 27, 2016
Incompetence
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by amazingspiderma: 8:47am On May 27, 2016
Yes he is right but this time people are ready to defend themselves and no one is counting on him.

Henceforth there will be no massacre,it will be a battle, and he is right again.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 8:51am On May 27, 2016
Ok. Even buhari gave many assurance, bt nw wot is happening?
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by leoebhos(m): 8:52am On May 27, 2016
Oga, me and u no say NPF have been making empty promises since 1000000bc, so quit whining.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by lekjons(m): 9:10am On May 27, 2016
does that mean he'll resign if it happens againundecided
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Wolf06: 9:10am On May 27, 2016
This reminds me of that joke the guy told the girls father he will not disvirgin his daughter again.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by abimic(m): 9:22am On May 27, 2016
But for real, y would the fulanis not make appearance at the committee level!? ... It sounds like they're in support of the perpetuated killings of innocent people. Arase speaking with all sides of his mouth.... He had to wait for killings in more than like 3 states to make this hole filled assertions as if he truly meant it.

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 9:52am On May 27, 2016
inkon:
His promises are as worthless as the scum of sea.

Under your watch sir, thousands were killed and their homes taken by the same culprits.

under your very watch teenage girls were forcefully taken from their parents and given out for marriage. When those parents cried to you for help, you said it was beyond you.

Under your own watch sir, baby crimes have grown into abomination.

So....why would anybody believe you now?

We sure know the purpose you are serving.

IN NIGERIA. TALK IS ENOUGH! ACTION IS SECONDARY.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Nobody: 10:10am On May 27, 2016
The only way to prevent a re-occurrence is to be preemptive. The police must improve on their intelligence gathering and have a rapid response team that would act quickly to nip any attack in the bud.
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by nbright: 10:12am On May 27, 2016
Wash
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by Amanwulu1(m): 10:37am On May 27, 2016
Is it in keeping with the govt of d day, or, has he taken any concrete step to forestall future occurence? D govt has filled d land with cheap talk. God help us. Amen
Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by freeze001(f): 10:45am On May 27, 2016
Shebi this same idiot had prior warning before attacks at Enugu? He went to Makurdi and said he didn't count up to 300 corpses and that next time when fleeing from attacks they should submit corpses at police stations for census n verification before burial.

What has he done to dislodge illegal fulani occupants and see to the resettlement of the natives? Is it not the same dog that said the release of a minor from a muslim rapist is dependent on the intervention of a mere Emir?

If it is IPOB protest he will not need any directive to go a-shooting! All these public officials that elevate the interest of one group over others, u and ur families will suffer forever with the slowest and most painful of diseases.

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by igbeke: 10:59am On May 27, 2016
Aranse, you mean this will not happen again?
May you roast in hell.

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by okuneddie(m): 11:04am On May 27, 2016
HungerBAD:
Following.
where have u bin bro, its bin lng I saw ur post

1 Like

Re: Agatu Massacre: It’ll Never Happen Again, IGP Assures Reps by everozone: 1:43pm On May 27, 2016
Arase,you had said that before and it didn't change anything.Only action can bring these killings to a halt and not too much talks.Arase act now.

(1) (Reply)

Police Arrest 50 Suspects In Connection With UN House Bombing / Amaechi Loses As Supreme Court Upholds Disqualification Of All Rivers APC Candid / Umar Sanda: Bauchi Lost ₦1.062 Billion To Ghost Workers, Pensioners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.