Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari (39042 Views)

Northern Elders Shock Buhari, Call For Immediate Break-up Of Nigeria / My Biggest Challenge As Governor- Peter Obi Reveals. Photos / "My Biggest Sin Is That I Talked Too Much Before We Came Into Power"- Lai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by dre11(m): 5:51am On May 27, 2016
......tell me if I should change ministers

The biggest shock he had during the past year as President was the realisation that Nigeria had over the years squandered all its precious foreign exchange on the importation of food items and other frivolous items including tooth picks, President Muhammadu Buhari said in Abuja yesterday. He spoke to editors and newspaper executives in a brief interview to mark the administration’s first year in office.

President Buhari said last year, when oil prices fell to $40 per barrel, he summoned Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria [CBN] Godwin Emefiele and asked to see what it was that Nigerians were buying with foreign exchange.

He said to his greatest shock, he found that most of the imports were food items. Nigeria, he said, discovered too late that it was over dependent on a mono-economy.

He said, “Up to 2013 we were earning on average over $100 per barrel from oil but by fabulous coincidence, it went down to about $30 per barrel when we came in. There was no money to import food. For me it was the biggest shock.”

He said in the course of its history Nigeria became an oil economy and “we left agriculture and solid minerals and everyone went to the city to look for oil money.”

Buhari also spoke at length about his opposition to naira devaluation. He said when he was military Head of State in 1984-85, World Bank and International Monetary Fund [IMF] experts advised him to devalue the naira and remove subsidy on petrol and flour. He said even though they pressed him hard, he did neither of the two.

He said this was because countries that benefitted from currency devaluation were developed countries that produced more products after devaluation and were able to export more because their goods became more competitive.

He was told, Buhari said, that Nigeria’s petrol was being smuggled out to neighbouring countries because it was very cheap but he countered that what our neighbours consume is only about one large Nigerian city’s supply.

President Buhari also said, “When I was removed [as military Head of State] in 1985 the dollar was one naira fifty kobo. Now naira is 350 to the dollar. Tell me the benefits we derived from that. How many factories were built in those years? Economists are not able to explain this to me. I am still waiting for economists to tell me why we should continue to devalue the naira. However, I don’t rule the country alone, so we must accommodate the economists.”

Buhari also said contrary to what observers think, he believes in privatisation of state owned firms. “It is much more efficient,” he said. He however said NNPC’s four oil refineries must be revitalised before they can be sold because he will not agree to sell them as scrap. He recalled that as Federal Commissioner for Petroleum Resources in General Obasanjo’s military regime in the 1970s, he signed contracts to build Warri and Kaduna refineries and to expand Port Harcourt refinery as well as build the depots and pipelines.

He said, “Should we sell them as scrap? We cannot spend so much of our national resources to develop infrastructure and then sell them a scrap. We must first take into consideration our state of development. We must repair them first so we can negotiate with the buyers from a position of strength.”

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/one-year-in-office-my-biggest-shock-by-buhari/148606.html

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by YourFatherYansh: 5:52am On May 27, 2016
The one thing Africans and its leaders/rulers lack is foresight. We only dwell in the now and damn the consequences of what ever the future holds..4getin that that future is 2day's inputs.
Greed is also one of our greatest undoing as a race, until our government begins to build institutions that will outlast them as well as have a positive multiplier effects on generation unborn, Africa will still remain in poverty maybe till eternity.
Partisanship and discontinuation of preceding government policies have stagnated the continent as an entity. No rapid progress comes from setting completely new agenda by every successive government...That's why the African race still battles with fundamental problems as electricity , portable roads, adequate housing, polio etc in the 21st century.

80 Likes 10 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Pidggin(f): 5:54am On May 27, 2016
So world bank adviced him to remove subsidy in 1984, but he stated clearly that he has never heard of subsidy when asked in 2014.

The issue of smuggling PMS is not new, all previous administrations have dealt with this issue effectively till date. If PMB cannot handle this, he should humble himself and seek solution from OBJ who is now a fellow party member.

You don't have to place the burden of your incompetence on us sir, please seek solution from those who have done it before.

135 Likes 7 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by ebamma(m): 5:57am On May 27, 2016
See who is talking,

Many were even trying to manufacture many things here in Nigeria before you got elected,

Since you got elected many companies have closed shop due to your policies.

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by ibkgab001: 6:00am On May 27, 2016
BUhari no travel again

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Kondomatic(m): 6:06am On May 27, 2016
Pidggin:
So world bank adviced him to remove subsidy in 1984, but he stated clearly that he has never heard of subsidy when asked in 2014.

The issue of smuggling PMS is not new, all previous administrations have dealt with this issue effectively till date. If PMB cannot handle this, he should humble himself and seek solution from OBJ who is now a fellow party member.

You don't have to place the burden of your incompetence on us sir, please seek solution from those who have done it before.
Mind what you say.

Buhari doesn't tell lies.

grin

36 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by socialmediaman: 6:08am On May 27, 2016
Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Nobody: 6:09am On May 27, 2016
so why his he telling us as at now when the economy is almost down? is it to seek pity or for Nigerians to hail him. well i agree with him concerning Nigerians running to the city to pursue oil money but one thing he failed to do is to invest in our Agricultural sector, since he realised that Nigerians are importing food, why not focus more on Agriculture instead of preaching corruption for a year now and nobody has been arrested, the money and the time used in travelling and fighting corruption should have been centered in Agriculture and other sector of the economy. that might have return made Nigeria export food rather and in return put money in national purse. he can face corruption later but definitely not now. the economy needs to be stable.

30 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Aliyeous(m): 6:13am On May 27, 2016
So wat now

1 Like

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Lionhearted: 6:14am On May 27, 2016
Pidggin:

Hmmmmm...

Perhaps a slip? But the truth.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Inspectahdeck(m): 6:15am On May 27, 2016
Please leave your ministers for now. It is to early to appraise their performance. Also, they just got their budget to work with so time will time.

Sack fashola after 2 years if he can't come up with innovative ideas to energy other than gas. A region should never hold a nation to ransom. Also, carry all stakeholders in the energy sector along e.g. generator sellers, diesel seller etc. If not they will keep sabotaging your effort.

Nigerians are generally lazy and greedy people, we want fast money. surprisingly, unavailability of raw materials, lack of energy, machineries, staff know-how discouraged local investors from manufacture.

the greedy marketers took control of the industry, killing every production company and potential ones. They buy cheap and substandard products from China and sell at high prices to us, thereby controlling the market.

Like the sustainable economist said on channels daily yesterday, we Nigerian like to artificially create inflation and scarcity to enrich a few. He mentioned the fuel issue, diesel (went up immediately form 125 to 142), food stuffs etc.

We are our problem, not the government per say.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Kastonkastroll(m): 6:16am On May 27, 2016
PDP are thieves, dangerous pen-robbers and heartless evil criminals. undecided

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by ORACLE1975(m): 6:19am On May 27, 2016
Good morning NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by DaBullIT(m): 6:21am On May 27, 2016
Simple request , offer your opinion

goats and pigs are not offering anything

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by vedaxcool(m): 6:24am On May 27, 2016
PMB underscores a serious problem with our economy the lust to taste foreign goods eventually leads to depletion of scarce resources and a wobbly economy

3 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Bari22: 6:24am On May 27, 2016
Pidggin:

Only the children of hate will fall deep ears to the president's explanation, please read it well you will surely understand if you are not .....

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by zelexotunla(m): 6:48am On May 27, 2016
Mr President,there is disdain among your cabinet and this can not help d turnaround we expect as long your ministers are not on the same book with you. We have not feel any roll out of government programmes on agriculture. The only advantage your government is enjoying is majority of Nigerians have faith in you atleast to set things on the right parts.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by idupaul: 6:54am On May 27, 2016
I can't believe I voted for this man ..well the way I see it Nigerians should be ready to queue for food by 2017 ..this man is just an orders and fiat man and not a visionary and wisdom lead leader..My apologies once again

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by SleekMallam: 7:10am On May 27, 2016
Buhari would've been fantastic as Efcc chairman and not as president of a united Nigeria.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by 989900B: 7:13am On May 27, 2016
While all those 'silly items' are wrong, they account for less than 20% of our Forex demands.

Repatriation of funds and other 'technical items' (according to CBN), accounts for 30%-40% demand.

Imported refined fuel accounts for 30-40% (Which is the real travesty!).

What measures have the past governments since 1999, done to arrest the importation of agric. products, while we have arable lands and excess supply of manpower?
Where are the single digit soft loans, where are the campaigns, the programs to encourage able bodied men and women to make us not only producers/consumers, but net exporters of these items?

Did we also comatose the refineries?

Or prevented government from building new ones either by PPP, or any other means?

Are we also responsible for not checkmating cross-border smuggling of fuel, and other diversion/fraud of imported fuel which accounts for roughly 30% of the 40m litres of PMS alone that we pay for on paper according to Kachikwu (I don't understand the 'dust' Buhari is 'yarning' up there)?

Stop blaming the people for failures of the government!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by otukpo(f): 7:39am On May 27, 2016
And the blaming continues.

2 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Akshow: 7:44am On May 27, 2016
Ogbeni baba sofoo, the country is not smiling. Leave all this long tale.

5 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by eph12(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2016
Who didn't know that Nigeria is a 100% import country? Why is he sounding confused or surprised? I don't even have to be in government to know that. The question is that since he left government what has he done to improve the country? Nothing. Even his state zero. He couldn't influence any deal, private investors etc as government or ordinary citizen and he is complaining. Mstchewww

9 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by YoursGEJ(m): 7:44am On May 27, 2016
Thanks to the IB and fake promises. 2nd Niger bridge, improved electricity, working refineries were all a dream.

3 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by demarc001: 7:44am On May 27, 2016
We hear thee
Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by IllegalMoney: 7:45am On May 27, 2016
grin grin
Shock ko, Absorber ni
Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by kaziblake(f): 7:45am On May 27, 2016
SAINTSAMURAII:
so why his he telling us as at now when the economy is almost down? is it to seek pity or for Nigerians to hail him. well i agree with him concerning Nigerians running to the city to pursue oil money but one thing he failed to do is to invest in our Agricultural sector, since he realised that Nigerians are importing food, why not focus more on Agriculture instead of preaching corruption for a year now and nobody has been arrested, the money and the time used in travelling and fighting corruption should have been centered in Agriculture and other sector of the economy. that might have return made Nigeria export food rather and in return put money in national purse. he can face corruption later but definitely not now. the economy needs to be stable.
For once I agree with you

2 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by CUM4WHAT(m): 7:45am On May 27, 2016
otukpo:
And the blaming continues.

3 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by APCcrimes: 7:46am On May 27, 2016
Gboy ninu rolls Royce...

Buhari na confirm Gboy!

But he be like the type wey dey pay maga instead of make maga pay am...

Bubu has gone mad finally...

3 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by chikel2000(m): 7:47am On May 27, 2016
See dis Buhari o, all I find in APC is just blame dis, blame dat. So Buhari has heard of subsidy but he was against GEJ in removing it?. Our leaders sef

6 Likes

Re: One-Year In Office: My Biggest Shock - Buhari by Nobody: 7:47am On May 27, 2016
kaziblake:
For once I agree with you
ALL glory to GOD.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Boko Haram Sets New Conditions To Free 83 More Chibok Girls / Aisha Buhari Spotted Campaigning For Her Husband In Daura / Teslim Folarin Allegedly Shot (Wife Of Oyo State Governorship Aspirant)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.