Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash (14977 Views)

Body Of Hadiza, Sule Lamido's Daughter Arrives Nigeria For Burial / "FG Let Igbos Go": Northern Youths Call ECOWAS, AU, UN For Hastened Referendum / Patience Jonathan Storms Skye Bank For Cash Withdrawal After Account Unfreezing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by ijustdey: 5:56am On May 27, 2016
The President of ECOWAS, Mr Marcel De Souza, on Thursday, expressed frustration over the paucity of fund being experienced by the commission.

De Souza, a Béninoise, was speaking in Abuja when he led a delegation from the commission to a courtesy visit on the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Mrs Khadijat Abba-Ibrahim.

He appealed to Nigeria and other member states to rescue the commission by paying up their outstanding levies.

“We have certain challenges that we are facing. The first is our financial situation that has become quite precarious.

“The situation is tied to the economic condition in the member states and the fact that the price of oil has dropped.

“The community levy which represents 90 percent of our funding is no longer regularly paid by most member states; Nigeria is not alone in this regard, also Cote D’Ivoire,” he said.

He said that Cote D’Ivoire, Cape Verde and Senegal were major defaulters, but the greater challenge was Nigeria.

“We see that the greatest challenge lies with Nigeria. The arrears that Nigeria is owning is 694,000 dollars because there was no payment made between 2015 and 2016.

“Because of the debt burden it carries, ECOWAS is now losing its credibility,” the president said.

According to him, Transcorp Hilton where meeting of all Heads of State was held in 2015 had not been settled by the commission.

He added that the bills of peace building troops sent to Guinea Bissau and Mali were yet to be paid, stressing that peace would always come with a cost.
“So, we wish to see our credibility restored. We appeal to Nigeria that the outstanding bill between 2015 and 2016 be paid.

“Without Nigeria and without Nigeria’s contribution we will not be able to sustain our activities neither we will be able to restore our credibility,” he said.

The minister congratulated the president on his appointment, stressing that his vast experience would help in addressing the challenges of the commission.

She said that the issue of finance raised should be brought before President Muhammadu Buhari in as much that ECOWAS delegation would visit him later.
She said that other issues raised would be discussed in due course.

The minister said that she would discuss the issue of accommodation raised earlier by the ECOWAS leader with her counterpart in the Federal Capital Territory.
She pledged to assist the commission to secure a guest house for its president through the FCT minister so that it would not incur further hotel bills.

According to her, the issue of security is a thing of general concern and that it is necessary that troops are paid on time to give them the incentives to fight terrorism.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2016/05/26/ecowas-broke-begs-nigeria-for-cash/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Agbalanze(m): 5:57am On May 27, 2016
Hmmn..ok
Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Kondomatic(m): 5:58am On May 27, 2016
Oga nah Nigeria owe them money

6 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:00am On May 27, 2016
Hummm.... I wonder if Kanu would ever get justice with d way things are right now

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:12am On May 27, 2016
Africans have money problems generally always spending never resourceful.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by DaBullIT(m): 6:19am On May 27, 2016
Wwhat justice ??

When he was asking for massacre , killings was he doing justice to the Nation ?
Nyerhovwo101:
Hummm.... I wonder if Kanu would ever get justice with d way things are right now

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Burger01(m): 6:19am On May 27, 2016
Nigeria is also broke...no thanks to thieving Jonathan and his yam eaters. undecided

Btw, Buhari will try and pay the 2015-2016 outstanding arrears...I'm sure of that. smiley

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by NSNA: 6:26am On May 27, 2016
ECOWAS can make money from ideas. TAX governments, tax airlines, tax people traveling to ECOWAS countries and don't spend more than you make.
O pari

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by wxyz1: 6:27am On May 27, 2016
i did not wash any of these write up in any nation television neither did i here it from any credible news media. Pm news my foot. Kanu will get justice if that is what the writer would want us not to believe

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:28am On May 27, 2016
DaBullIT:
Wwhat justice ??

may I ask u what killing has taken place as a result of his utterance?

8 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by YoursGEJ(m): 6:28am On May 27, 2016
I thought they wanted to listen to Nnamdi Kanu's case. They should go and ask Togo and Benin for money grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:31am On May 27, 2016
This is bad and one problem with Africans, we lack sportsmanship and unity. who are those advising the president that up till now Nigeria still owe ecowas thousands of dollars, this is one of the many things a President must look into and tackle if elected into power.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by DaBullIT(m): 6:32am On May 27, 2016
Nyerhovwo101:
may I ask u what killing has taken place as a result of his utterance?

The Abia / Aba mass graves and coverup by the Abia state government is still fresh in our memories , Your people actually killed Police, Navy and buried them in mass graves, and that's not all , Kanu Boasted about it in one of his broadcasts

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:36am On May 27, 2016
This coming just a day after news broke out that Nigerian government has stopped funding ECOWAS in order to hamstring them on the Nnamdi Kanu's trial makes me want to read between the lines.
Nigeria sef is broke, all man to himself

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 6:39am On May 27, 2016
DaBullIT:

The Abia / Aba mass graves and coverup by the Abia state government is still fresh in our memories , Your people actually killed Police, Navy and buried them in mass graves, and that's not all , Kanu Boasted about it in one of his broadcasts
lol.... My people u say? Well for ur information am not an igbo before u turn this into ethnic bigotry issue... U Make me laugh though because I wonder at ur source of information

20 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by goodlifehyd(m): 6:48am On May 27, 2016
DaBullIT:
Wwhat justice ??

You got time replying that dude, Kanu himself knew he chewed more than he could swallow. When the e-goat was arrested I thought they said Buhari just played into his well written script... Lol going to a year now the script never turn movie

22 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by ItsMeAboki(m): 6:57am On May 27, 2016
Nyerhovwo101:
My thoughts exactly: he who pays the piper dictates the tune; Dilector has no chance of the ECOWAS court siding with him or enforcing anything in his favour against the Nigerian government.
LOL, he should therefore expect more time in Kuje prison and a diet of watery beans.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by superstar1(m): 7:09am On May 27, 2016
This is the same Ecowas Our Dilector, the toothless sheep and shameless ipods are using to threaten Nigeria.

You are still Learners, with capital "L" dangling on your neck.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 7:14am On May 27, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

My thoughts exactly: he who pays the piper dictates the tune; Dilector has no chance of the ECOWAS court siding with him or enforcing anything in his favour against the Nigerian government.
LOL, he should therefore expect more time in Kuje prison and a diet of watery beans.
this was d exact Line of my thought when one so called Dabulllt choose to turn it into ethnic issue.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Goke7: 7:23am On May 27, 2016
superstar1:
This is the same Ecowas Our Dilector, the toothless sheep and shameless ipods are using to threaten Nigeria.

You are still Learners, with capital "L" dangling on your neck.

Even dasuki own don finish, those advising these fellows to go to ECOWAS courts ain't helping their matter.

5 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by teemanbastos(m): 7:25am On May 27, 2016
9ja sef broke

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Blizzy9ja: 7:26am On May 27, 2016
if them beg us na who we go beg

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Firefire(m): 7:26am On May 27, 2016
Nigeria also is broke. Sorry!

In fact, APC is planning to declare bankruptcy for the party?

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Nobody: 7:26am On May 27, 2016
Beg.....beggar......beggest.....

Which one is Nigeria,and which is ecowas.
Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Integrityfarms(m): 7:26am On May 27, 2016
ECOWAS is dreaming, when we don't have enough and they are trying to levy us!

I doubt if our Zombie in Chief who likes globe trotting won't give in to their appeals just to seek for a cheap political stunt so that he can always have a reason to continue his junketing around the world!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Pavore9: 7:27am On May 27, 2016
I am just reeling in laughter!

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Lajilajo(f): 7:28am On May 27, 2016
Money no dey, now move ahead

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by StepTwo: 7:29am On May 27, 2016
i hope ecowas wakes up soon to realise that Nigeria needs help more than Somalia and Zimbabwe.
Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by Dollyak(f): 7:29am On May 27, 2016
The first African country to break free off poverty would control and rule Africa. Nigeria is missing a great chance of putting herself in a stronger posting Germany is to Europe. With a big enough economy Nigeria could literally make Naira the official currency in Africa

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by sayyid(m): 7:29am On May 27, 2016
Ecowas should just look for money in another country because as it is now Nigeria self needs a lot of help.Nigeria self needs money to keep the country running we taught that once the project is approved things will change but it's nowhere near that.
God help Nigeria
God help her people

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by blackpanda: 7:30am On May 27, 2016
This is the major problem. Why are we paying ecowas levy in dollars?? Is this not modern day slavery of the region

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash by chimaobinelson(m): 7:30am On May 27, 2016
U brokeU dissolve dat sHit ,cos nija is super broke

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Receives Julius Maada Bio, President Of Sierra Leone (Photos) / 2023 Presidency: North’s Four-Year Claim After Buhari Can’t Stand – Afenifere / COVID-19 Affected My Fight Against Corruption, Insecurity – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.