Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,996 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts (28194 Views)

Dogara Reacts To The Death Of Tinubu's Son, Jide Tinubu / Osinbajo Reacts To Sharia Bill In The Senate / Dogara Pushed Sharia Bill Through Second Reading Quietly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by plaetton: 9:41pm On May 28, 2016
snailspeed:
He has just confirmed the existence of the bill. That's the real issue not whether it was sneaked in

And Nigerians, especially the fanatic defenders of this Buhari regime, needs to explain to Nigerians, tens of millions of us who don't give a fxxx about Sharia law, and want nothing to do with it, whether this is part of APC change manifesto.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Kingspin(m): 9:42pm On May 28, 2016
What is the content of the bill? Before another rumor.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by plaetton: 9:45pm On May 28, 2016
agabusta:

There is no big deal with its existence. You guys are unnecessarily being petty.

Even you too can write your own bill on worshiping snake, they will pass it to a committee who will look at its merit and finally present it to the house for debate or throw it into the trash.

That is the the the beauty of democracy; every voice should be heard, but majority will have their way. Simple.

That they received it does not mean it has been passed. I already stated it yesterday that a lot of Christians are already being paranoid over non-existent islamization agenda.

Who sponsored the bill?

On bills touching on Constitutional matters, isn't it normally prudent for the President to let his people know where he stands on the issues ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by codedguy1(m): 9:55pm On May 28, 2016
The question is why do we need to amend the constitution to adopt a criminal aspect of Sharia law. Are the extant laws not enough? Does it now mean those that worship Ifa and amadioha can also agitate to pass an aspect of their criminal law if they have one to the constitution.

Is Nigeria not supposed to be a secular state, not exactly recognising any religion as official religion. If this is passed, will it now be translated to mean that since an aspect of sharia criminal law is in our constitution then Nigeria is More of an Islamic state.

Na we southerners dey do ouselves.

5 Likes

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Nobody: 10:01pm On May 28, 2016
Pidggin:
Christian senators should pass their own religious bill, let us Christianize the South and FCT, no time for siddon look.
You mean the SS and SE ? I strongly support you on that.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 28, 2016
codedguy1:
The question is why do we need to amend the constitution to adopt a criminal aspect of Sharia law. Are the extant laws not enough? Does it now mean those that worship Ifa and amadioha can also agitate to pass an aspect of their criminal law if they have one to the constitution.

Is Nigeria not supposed to be a secular state, not exactly recognising any religion as official religion. If this is passed, will it not be translated to mean that since an aspect of sharia criminal law is in our constitution then Nigeria is More of an Islamic state.

Na we southerners dey do ouselves.
There are sharia courts in some developed countries,like in the UK.So what about them?

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by codedguy1(m): 10:13pm On May 28, 2016
crusadistic:

There are sharia courts in some developed countries,like in the UK.So what about them?

We also have sharia courts here.

Then why another bill to amend the constitution to adopt some sharia criminal aspects into the constitution that supposedly binds us together as a secular sovereign state.

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by sunnymaja(m): 10:17pm On May 28, 2016
I hope pdp will not divide this country. Dogara is a Christian, so how will he smuggle sharia law into the house. Bunch of confused opposition
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by babestella: 10:23pm On May 28, 2016
Why do we even have sharia law when we already have a Nigerian constitution?
What the heck is going on with Nigeria and the northerners? Haba

2 Likes

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Iboboiz93(m): 10:42pm On May 28, 2016
Ewizard:
Who can help me wit dat pic of buhari's where he stated somfin like.. " god willing we will see to d total implementation of sharia his death. Inshi allah!!

angry undecided

3 Likes

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by AnanseK(m): 10:44pm On May 28, 2016
brayan:
Why do I get the feeling Dogara might be a sneaky fella....Nigerians are watching

Dog area is a far better Christian than you.

And obviously a better Nigerian too, because he doesn't deal in malicious rumors and incitement.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by hansad: 10:50pm On May 28, 2016
Most Nigerians from the south don't even understand the ugly implications of any part of Nigeria using sharia criminal laws.

They don't even understand the implications of having sharia criminal laws incorporated now into the constitution.

ANY part of Nigeria using sharia criminal laws is like that part has ceased to be part of Nigeria's constitution.

Having Sharia Criminal laws in the constitution of Nigeria makes Nigeria a purely Islamic country.

Buhari's religious ambition is enormous.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by olagamalin(m): 11:06pm On May 28, 2016
Ewizard:
Who can help me wit dat pic of buhari's where he stated somfin like.. " god willing we will see to d total implementation of sharia his death. Inshi allah!!

angry undecided

Go and sleep ...nobody will help you torment unnecessary trouble.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by coolplanet: 11:09pm On May 28, 2016
agabusta:

What is the essence of this long, idiotic post u went to search for just to try & sound intelligent?

You still lack basic comprehensive skills I repeat. Dogara stated that this particular bill is different as it has the implication of amending a constitutional provision and so has to go through this route.

I also stated that "not all bills go directly to the house for debate". Pls stop demonstrating foolery based on religious intolerance in public.

Oga go back and do more research on the process used for bills seeking to amend a constitutional provision.

Now run off & do the assignment I just gave u.

Mr man,the guy get sense pass you.where is your source letus see.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by olagamalin(m): 11:11pm On May 28, 2016
agabusta:

I'm tired of your garbage. You are the one who is seriously confused.

Constitutional amendment only came into the talk when it was discovered that some aspects of the bill will conflict constitutional provisions.

Hence, the bill cannot be treated like other bills but was referred to the committee on constitution amendment.

I will leave you to continue wallowing in your ignorance, intolerance and paranoia.

Sometimes you guys behave as if you are more 'Christian' than others. But your actions portray your hypocrisy. Because they are actually fuelled by bigotry and not actually love for christ.

You should be given a medal or something. I cringe at the bigotry expressed by fellow Christians...always feigning to be more Catholic than the Pope. They just jump right into conclusion.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by olagamalin(m): 11:14pm On May 28, 2016
plaetton:

Who sponsored the bill?

On bills touching on Constitutional matters, isn't it normally prudent for the President to let his people know where he stands on the issues ?
You mean President Buhari...really . So the part of the President's job description is to monitor the daily workings of the National Assembly, making peremptory statements on inane issues. You people truly need Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by GWMI(m): 11:15pm On May 28, 2016
Dogara is a green snake in a green grass.God will forever be disgrace shame on him.Thanks.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by plaetton: 11:24pm On May 28, 2016
olagamalin:
You mean President Buhari...really . So the part of the President's job description is to monitor the daily workings of the National Assembly, making peremptory statements on inane issues. You people truly need Jesus.

A Constitutional amendment dealing with something as contentious as Sharia law is an Inane issue in your universe? shocked

Every legislation proposed or presented to National Assembly is the President's business. Daahhhh!! undecided
Government 101. sad

Amazing that Buharism has become a fanatical religion where irrational thinking is the Order of the day.

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by plaetton: 11:27pm On May 28, 2016
olagamalin:

Yes sir. It is part of the President's job.
That's why he has well paid legislative liaison officers in cabinet.
Daahhhh !!

You need more than geezus, you need an education.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by olagamalin(m): 11:38pm On May 28, 2016
plaetton:

Yes sir. It is part of the President's job.
That's why he has well paid legislative liaison officers in cabinet.
Daahhhh !!

You need more than geezus, you need an education.

Clown ....you expect the Executive President to make a robust statement on a bill that won't leave committee stage. Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the concept of Separation of Powers. Cos I see no reason y'all are making a fuss about nothing. The speaker is a devout Christian himself ....needless paranoia when there are germane issues.

As for Education .... grin I sympathize with you .... I schooled at a place you dreamt to visit. Peace cool
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Lordxeer(m): 11:39pm On May 28, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:
Sharia Law is responsible for at least 50% amputation among northerners.

Further strengthening Sharia's power to try criminal cases doesn't sound like a great idea to me oooooo.

Or did I miss something?
Amputation you said! Hmmm, the stance of your hoaxes and fabrication is overwhelming! There is only one record of amputation in zamfara state during the tenure of Sanni Yerima. As a matter of fact, sharia law isn't as barbaric as we are made to believe. Just carry out ur research without bias about sharia and u will be convinced its probably the only set of laws that can save our cruel cruel country!
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by 1miccza: 11:51pm On May 28, 2016
I've just observed that a large part of us on Nl and indeed Nigeria as a whole exist and thrive on sensationalism
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by plaetton: 11:53pm On May 28, 2016
olagamalin:

Clown ....you expect the Executive President to make a robust statement on a bill that won't leave committee stage. Perhaps you should acquaint yourself with the concept of Separation of Powers. Cos I see no reason y'all are making a fuss about nothing. The speaker is a devout Christian himself ....needless paranoia when there are germane issues.

As for Education .... grin I sympathize with you .... I schooled at a place you dreamt to visit. Peace cool
Lol.
A refund of your very high school fees might be in order then, because you have failed to comprehend my simple point.

First, who sponsored the bill ?
Secondly, Why would a President of a secular , multi religious, multi ethnic nation like Nigeria be deafeningly Silent on a proposed Constitutional amendment dealing with the contentious issue of Sharia law ?

Dogara's religious belief is immaterial to my query.
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:08am On May 29, 2016
Lordxeer:
Amputation you said! Hmmm, the stance of your hoaxes and fabrication is overwhelming! There is only one record of amputation in zamfara state during the tenure of Sanni Yerima. As a matter of fact, sharia law isn't as barbaric as we are made to believe. Just carry out ur research without bias about sharia and u will be convinced its probably the only set of laws that can save our cruel cruel country!

Did U know that Under Sharia law, THEFT is punishable by amputation of the right hand?

Did U know that Under Sharia law, ROBBERY is punishable by amputation of the right & left hand if only property has been taken?

Are U trying to tell me that only 1 thief has been judged by Sharia law in the History of Nigeria?

Are U trying to tell me that NO ROBBER has been judged by Sharia law in the History of Nigeria?

Are U believing the lies "THEY" told BBC or U are just being bias?

Reference
The Reintroduction of Islamic Criminal law in Northern Nigeria: A study conducted on behalf of the European Commission. A study by Prof. Dr. Ruud Peter
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by Eluwilussit(m): 12:51am On May 29, 2016
pedrilo:
Dis speaker tinks he is smart, amidst all d problems facing dis nation at d moment, u r there discussing sharia. SMH

You dey mind the idiiots. That's how they wasted our time and money, talking about lowering the age of marriage to 1yr. Now it's sharia. Foo.ls. instead of thinking of how to make our lives better, na irrelevancies them dey waste their time on. Nigeria is doomed with this type of leaders. cry
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by just2endowed: 1:47am On May 29, 2016
Firefire:
Nigeria is a secular state, hence, no religion should be promoted over the other.

Church Suggests Way Out of Sharia Crisis

Panafrican News Agency, 15 September 2000

Lagos—A group of Nigerian Christians has asked the federal government to review the country's constitution to make it truly secular as a way out of the Sharia crisis in the nation.

There should no longer be room for special provisions for any religion within our constitution,‘ the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN) said in a three-page communique issued Friday after a five-day conference in Kaduna, north of the country. ’”

Though the constitution prescribes secularity for the country, its ambiguity on Sharia has been capitalised upon by advocates of the Islamic legal code, which has been introduced in at least six of states in the predominantly-Moslem northern Nigeria.

The adoption of the religious law has pitched Christians against Moslems in multi-ethnic, multi-religious Nigeria, made up of 36 federated states.

A plan to introduce Sharia in Kaduna state, also in the north, led to clashes between adherents of the two main religions in February and May, causing hundreds of death and destruction to property.

“We call on government to address the Sharia issue with the seriousness and sense of urgency that it deserves with a view to finding solutions that will bring the nation back to unity and harmony,‘ the statement said. ’”

“Government should desist from favouring one religion over others,‘ it said. ’”

The bishops said reports they obtained from the states that have adopted Sharia were contrary to claims that the Koran-based law would not affect non-Moslems in such states.

“Now, from reports reaching us and from what we have been able to observe, it is sad to have to say that our original fears were well founded. ”

“The reality on the ground in the states that have adopted the Sharia shows clearly that non-Moslems are being negatively and unjustly affected,‘ the clerics said, adding: «They (non- Moslems) are being unjustly deprived of their legitimate means of livelihood. Fanatics are being encouraged to molest law-abiding citizens without cause.« »»’”

The government has consistently said that the Sharia issue would soon blow over, and has largely remained ambivalent on the issue so as not to be accused of favouring one religion over another.

But the bishops disagreed, saying while the Sharia crisis lasted, “there are Nigerians suffering and wondering if the state is interested in the welfare of all citizens. ”

“We cannot continue along these lines and still pretend that we want a united, peaceful and prosperous nation,‘ they added. ’”

Sharia has emerged as the most divisive issue in Nigeria since its return to civil rule 29 May 1999, with many opposed to it even calling for a break-up of the country.

But Moslems have maintained that the adoption of the law is in line with the tenets of their Islamic faith.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/34a/079.html

You want some crazy sharia mod to ban u?

Maybe nairaland too has given sharia people preference too. Ask Seun and his mod team

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by samoney: 2:47am On May 29, 2016
It is in one of my post check my profile ttp://www.nairaland.com/2149629/please-what-take-headlinesv
Ewizard:

angry undecided

1 Like

Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by discusant: 3:50am On May 29, 2016
Nigerians are now meant to debate having sharia criminal codes in the constitution, instead of govt telling people how it can provide them with constant electricity, good education facilities. good roads, reduce poverty, etc.

This Change has turned sour.

Do these sharia-mongers understand that Nigeria is a country nearly equally divided between Christians and Muslims?

Do they not understand that having sharia criminal laws in Nigeria's constitution must amount to disintegration of Nigeria?

Has Nigeria not completely gone to the dogs?
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by 2n2k(m): 4:04am On May 29, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.
A refund of your very high school fees might be in order then, because you have failed to comprehend my simple point.

First, who sponsored the bill ?
Secondly, Why would a President of a secular , multi religious, multi ethnic nation like Nigeria be deafeningly Silent on a proposed Constitutional amendment dealing with the contentious issue of Sharia law ?

Dogara's religious belief is immaterial to my query.

Why are you tenaciously holding on to the wrong end of the rope? The guy and some knowledgeable posters up there have lectured you on process of constitutional amendments.

If you wake up today and send a proposed amendment to the constitution to the National Assembly that any poster on nairaland should be paid by government, the house cannot debate or reject it, it will be passed to an adhoc committee on constitution amendments which will filter through all garbage received in the name of proposals and recommend what it consider reasonable proposals to the house as a bill. It is then that the whole legislative process of passing a bill will start including public hearing. The senate will also do its own passing, then at least 24 states house of assembly. That is what Dogara was explaining about the difference between a bill to amend the constitution and ordinary bill.

Why do you expect the president to comment or take side on a mere proposal? There are supporters as there are opponents for such proposal you know.

If that proposal ever scale through as recommendation from the adhoc committee, gets 2/3rd majority of the senate and the house, 2/3rd majority of 24 out of 36 states in Nigeria to become part of our constitution, then it is the will of vast majority of Nigeria and neither your opinion nor that of the president on it will matter any longer.

By the way, do you doubt which way the houses of assembly of 12 states in the SE and SS will vote?
Re: Sharia Bill: Speaker Dogara Reacts by pinkyliceous(f): 4:35am On May 29, 2016
I read every aspect of the article he posted and I love it so much. You too can learn from it. Thanks.

agabusta:

What is the essence of this long, idiotic post u went to search for just to try & sound intelligent?

You still lack basic comprehensive skills I repeat. Dogara stated that this particular bill is different as it has the implication of amending a constitutional provision and so has to go through this route.

I also stated that "not all bills go directly to the house for debate". Pls stop demonstrating foolery based on religious intolerance in public.

Oga go back and do more research on the process used for bills seeking to amend a constitutional provision.

Now run off & do the assignment I just gave u.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Rivers APC: Supreme Court Strikes Out Three Other Pending Appeals / India's Minister, Abbas, Visits El-Zakzaky To Facilitate His Treatment (Photos) / Tinubu Pictured With Godswill Akpabio At Abuja Airport.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.