Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,817 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act (19217 Views)

Osinbajo Appoints Chairman, Members For Code Of Conduct Bureau / Saraki At The Code Of Conduct Tribunal For False Asset Declaration (photos) / Saraki Loses As Code Of Conduct Tribunal Refuses To Quash Corruption Charges (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by midolian(m): 5:39pm On May 31, 2016
The House of Representatives has considered and passed an amendment to the Code of Conduct Bureau and Tribunal Act

The Act makes it mandatory for the bureau to ensure that any one who is deemed to have breached the provision of the act is given the chance to explain before such a case is referred to the tribunal.

the amendment to Section 3 of the Act now includes a paragraph (e) which says “upon complaint(s) of any breach or where it appears to the Bureau that there is a breach of the provision or this Act, the person concerned shall be given particulars of such non compliance or breaches to explain before any reference to the tribunal”.

Section 4 (2) was also amended to substitute the word “President” with “the National Assembly” as the one to appoint members of staff of the Bureau and exercise disciplinary control over them.

about a month ago, the Senate suspended the planned amendments to the CCB, CCT Act due to public outcry of Civil Society Organisations.

At the time, the Senate passed it for second reading, the presiding officer, Deputy Senate, Ike Ekweremadu had stated that the amendment had nothing to do with the ongoing trial of Senate President, Bukola Saraki at the CCT.

http://www.channelstv.com/2016/05/31/house-amends-code-of-conduct-bureau-and-tribunal-act/

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Dannyset(m): 5:43pm On May 31, 2016
Chai.......Saraki working assiduously to reduce his jail term.
If he escaped in Nigeria, we will send him to Senegal to partner the Chad Dictator that was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Crazy set of people in our Legislative arm!

11 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by midolian(m): 5:45pm On May 31, 2016
As long as the amendment won't halt Saraki's trial, I am satisfied.

10 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by lwise(m): 5:46pm On May 31, 2016
There is God ooo ,chai
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Firefire(m): 5:49pm On May 31, 2016
Please where is the fight against corruption in this amendment ? angry

“upon complaint(s) of any breach or where it appears to the Bureau that there is a breach of the provision or this Act, the person concerned shall be given particulars of such non compliance or breaches to explain before any reference to the tribunal”.

This is nonsensical. undecided

15 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by midolian(m): 5:55pm On May 31, 2016
Firefire:

“upon complaint(s) of any breach or where it appears to the Bureau that there is a breach of the provision or this Act, the person concerned shall be given particulars of such non compliance or breaches to explain before any reference to the tribunal”.

To me, this is no biggie. Its just the way its supposed to be. It doesn't mean the person concerned can't be referred to the tribunal after his/her explanation.

This is how I see it..."Firefire, you took what does not belong to you..you better return it b4 I take you to court..and then you explained what happened in a defensive manner..if I am not satisfied, I may still choose to take u to court."

I just see this as a way of telling the suspect to get ready for the tribunal.

25 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Flexherbal(m): 6:03pm On May 31, 2016
These politicians will always bend laws to their favour.

4 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Nobody: 6:03pm On May 31, 2016
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT OOOOOH.. STUPID CORRUPT ILLITERATES
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by harrysterol(m): 6:05pm On May 31, 2016
E don happen
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 31, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by texazzpete(m): 6:06pm On May 31, 2016
midolian:
To me, this is no biggie. Its just the way its supposed to be. It doesn't mean the person concerned can't be referred to the tribunal after his/her explanation.
This is how I see it..."Firefire you took what does not belong to you..you better return it b4 I take you to court..and then you explained what happened in a defensive manner..if I am not satisfied, I may still choose to take u to court."

you must be joking.

This whole act is geared towards crippling those institutions (or at least ensuring that the Senators and Reps escape any censure by the CCB.

I hope Buhari vetoes this

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by worlexy(m): 6:06pm On May 31, 2016
Good move. This will reduce the witch-hunting power of the Executive on their "enemies"

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by mikolo80: 6:06pm On May 31, 2016
Firefire:

shebi dem go give buhari sign.calm down.there are other ways to fight corruption

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by tchaik(m): 6:07pm On May 31, 2016
It is high time. I guess the Saraki situation made them to sit up. Even the so called amendment is not complete yet. The Tribunal should totally be under the Judiciary and not the Presidency.

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by mikolo80: 6:08pm On May 31, 2016
Flexherbal:
These politicians will always bend laws to their favour.
why you should vote for better politician

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by khadaffi(m): 6:08pm On May 31, 2016
This is the height of madness displayed by so called honorable men

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by eke96: 6:09pm On May 31, 2016
Maka Saraki?
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Thescienceprof(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2016
Substituting the word "presidency" with "the National Assembly" is going to raise a lot of dust. The president will definitely not give his assent to this amendment

7 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by olarhtunji(m): 6:09pm On May 31, 2016
k

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Firefire(m): 6:13pm On May 31, 2016
midolian:

You should know Nigerians better, I supposed, corruption is endemic and probably inscribed in our genes.

I can tell you, with this amendment, the official of the Bureau will continue to collude with politicians to quickly correct their fault(s) and get a pat on the back. undecided

The 80-10-10 rule or 20-60-20 rule of fraud comes to mind. undecided

- 10 percent of people are honest and loyal and will not steal under any circumstances, even if there was a guarantee they would not get caught.
- 10 percent of people will steal, given any opportunity, (or they will look to create an opportunity) with very little motive or even need.
- The other 80 percent of the population is on the fence and, if the opportunity and need arise simultaneously, would rationalize the theft and be tempted to steal.

We should all rise with one voice against the code amendment.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by 8BitGee(m): 6:13pm On May 31, 2016
The CCB must not be under National Assembly. Those guys are crooks. Mr President please veto this nonsense!

3 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by la1(m): 6:16pm On May 31, 2016
texazzpete:

you must be joking.

This whole act is geared towards crippling those institutions (or at least ensuring that the Senators and Reps escape any censure by the CCB.

I hope Buhari vetoes this

he most certainly will, the idea is to remove executive oversight of the CCB and pass it to NASS control, this is where they goofed, had they suggested the NJC for instance it would have appeared more altruistic , as the judiciary can and should exercise censory oversight in this case.

5 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by lagosrd: 6:18pm On May 31, 2016
Changing the goal post in the middle of the game....apc change
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 31, 2016
Story for the gods, Kwontinue the Saraki trial abeggi.
FP dedicated to Kafy mcKoe

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Topiipii(m): 6:20pm On May 31, 2016
8BitGee:
The CCB must not be under National Assembly. Those guys are crooks. Mr President please veto this nonsense!
It's better we start shouting now on social media so that he vetoes the bill, not hoping he will because we think so.

5 Likes

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by shamsuRana(m): 6:25pm On May 31, 2016
Saraki cannot fall under the category of those to benefit from the amendment Jor! Gate don close for am.
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by ayindejimmy(m): 6:29pm On May 31, 2016
midolian:

This is how I see it..."Firefire you took what does not belong to you..you better return it b4 I take you to court..and then you explained what happened in a defensive manner..if I am not satisfied, I may still choose to take u to court."

In a matter of law like this, tell me where else will one explain his side of the story if not in the court.
That means if the police catches an armed robber he should be allowed to explain why he is robbing b4 being drag to court?
If the common man is not given these privileges, why should politicians be given?
For the Buraeu to drag you to the Tribunal in the first place that means a crime had already been committed.

So, what's sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander again?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Newbiee: 6:31pm On May 31, 2016
I remain with Buhari

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Emmaoga: 6:34pm On May 31, 2016
SAFARI'S CASE WILL LAST TILL I BECOME A SENATOR..

PMB AND FGET SEEKING FOR SOFT LANDING....BECAUSE HE IS NEXT AFTER HIS TENURE....

IMAGINE SINCE 2007 HE SAID HE HAD ONLY 150 COWS.....THE SAME 150 COWS IN 2011...... THE SAME NUMBER IN 2015.....

MY QUESTION IS WHETHER YOUR MALE COWS ARE HOMO.....

COME TO THINK ABOUT IT.....HOW CAN OUR ECONOMY GROW WHEN THE NUMBER OF HIS COWS ARE NOT GROWING.

ZOMBIES CAN BE THE JUDGE NOW.

1 Like

Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Firefire(m): 6:35pm On May 31, 2016
ayindejimmy:

In a matter of law like this, tell me where else will one explain his side of the story if not in the court.
That means if the police catches an armed robber he should be allowed to explain why he is robbing b4 being drag to court?
If the common man is not given these privileges, why should politicians be given?
For the Buraeu to drag you to the Tribunal in the first place that means a crime had already been committed.

So, what's sauce for the goose is not sauce for the gander again?

That is what Sin-ator Bukola Saraki has being clamoring for, 'give me opportunity to explain myself. This is DAYLIGHT robbery against the Nigerian people.
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by Emmaoga: 6:38pm On May 31, 2016
SARAKI'S CASE WILL LAST TILL I BECOME A SENATOR..

PMB AND FG SEEKING FOR SOFT LANDING....BECAUSE HE IS NEXT AFTER HIS TENURE....

IMAGINE SINCE 2007 HE SAID HE HAD ONLY 150 COWS.....THE SAME 150 COWS IN 2011...... THE SAME NUMBER IN 2015.....

MY QUESTION IS WHETHER YOUR MALE COWS ARE HOMO.....

COME TO THINK ABOUT IT.....HOW CAN OUR ECONOMY GROW WHEN THE NUMBER OF HIS COWS ARE NOT GROWING.

ZOMBIES CAN BE THE JUDGE NOW.
Re: House Amends Code Of Conduct Bureau And Tribunal Act by demarc001: 6:39pm On May 31, 2016
For their good I guess

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibrahim Idris Visits Defence Headquarters / FAAC: FG, States, Lgs Share N668.89b After Deadlock / UN Urges Investigation Into Shooting Of Peaceful Protesters At Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.