Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,360 members, 7,812,017 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. (73049 Views)

Complete List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Of Nigeria Where They Live / Nigerian Tribes And States Where They Live / Tribes And Their Best Occupation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by hmuhammad(m): 9:19pm On May 31, 2016
Nupes can be found in kogi, niger and kwara
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Sikariyelwa: 9:21pm On May 31, 2016
BABUR AND BURA ARE THE SAME LANGUAGE PLEASE. IT'S THE LANGUAGE I SPEAK
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by efechris(m): 9:21pm On May 31, 2016
Is your Okpe not part of Urhobo?

donsteady:
Your list is not complete without my tribe.
Please include Okpe.... Delta state

Click like if you are from Okpe Kingdom let's see how many okpe we have here

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by spawnx: 9:21pm On May 31, 2016
This list is not extensive!!!
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Bonaventura(m): 9:22pm On May 31, 2016
I did not see my beloved Orri[b][/b](Korri)[b][/b]. They are found in Ebonyi and Benue
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Hilaskee(m): 9:22pm On May 31, 2016
This list is incomplete. How will you not include Ikwerre which is the most populated in Rivers State?

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by DRCIC(m): 9:23pm On May 31, 2016
@Op nice job, but the list is incomplete. More so number 138, Gokana n khana are local government areas in Rivers State not tribes, they are the Ogonis.
Ogoni comprises of 3 local government areas, the 2 mentioned above and Tai LGA.
Ikwerre, the biggest tribe in Rivers State is omitted.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Ahmedhussain3463: 9:25pm On May 31, 2016
whirlwind7:
Fulani is not in the list, so how come they are one of the major tribes in the north?
Did you omit it?

Bubu will not be happy about this.
lol ,wht bring babu here nw?bt any way hausa fulani are d majority tribe in d north
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by grace008: 9:25pm On May 31, 2016
Nice and I can speak all grin
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by fratermathy(m): 9:28pm On May 31, 2016
donsteady:

Thanks bro, the trust is, I don't know anything about my kingdom. I can't even speak

Okpe kingdom is one of the highly revered and respected kingdom in Urhobo land. The Orodje of Okpe is a First Class monarch and one of the most influential monarchs in Delta State. Okpe people speak a distinct dialect of Urhobo that has striking similarities to Isoko. Their dialect is almost unintelligible to other Urhobo speakers but the average Okpe man can speak and understand central Agbarho Urhobo. Okpe kingdom encompasses Orerokpe, the traditional headquarters, through Amukpe and Aghalokpe, to Sapele, the commercial city of Okpe kingdom! Other major towns include Okuokoko and Osubi which are in the Warri Metropolis, Oha, Okuodiete, etc.

Ask me what you want to know about Okpe people if you are interested cheesy

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Ahmedhussain3463: 9:29pm On May 31, 2016
abuayman:
Hmmmm. Like seriously shocked shocked shocked
Who be hausa/fulani??
they are d majority tribe in nigeria
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by shallom88(m): 9:29pm On May 31, 2016
igede is also in cross river (Gabu precisely- dats my tribe)
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Fash20: 9:30pm On May 31, 2016
GossipHeart:
The most successful, most educated, the tribe with the highest number of millionaires, the most peaceful tribe.

Guess what tribe

Ibos
most educated and most successful... I laugh in KANURI

What's your own measure of success.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Drbarmes(m): 9:32pm On May 31, 2016
This guy try o
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by fratermathy(m): 9:33pm On May 31, 2016
DRCIC:
@Op nice job, but the list is incomplete. More so number 138, Gokana n khana are local government areas in Rivers State not tribes, they are the Ogonis.
Ogoni comprises of 3 local government areas, the 2 mentioned above and Tai LGA.
Ikwerre, the biggest tribe in Rivers State is omitted.

What of Eleme LGA? Are the people there not also Ogoni?

Ikwerre is an Igboid group hence its omission. However, it is the major group in Rivers State and they have always maintained their distinctiveness from Igbo by virtue of self-determination and thus, they deserve a separate mention!

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by martha89: 9:34pm On May 31, 2016
fratermathy:

Urhobo is Edoid no doubts but your postulation on coming together with Bini and Esan may not work for various reasons.

For one, these languages, apart from Urhobo and Isoko, are mutually unintelligible in EVERY WAY. We don't greet the same way, we dont share similar words, we dont have similar sentence structures, etc
These languages, apart from Urhobo and Isoko, are culturally divergent. Esan and Bini subscribe to the Oba of Benin while Urhobo and Isoko only recognise his power but do not subscribe to him in any way. Culturally, as well, we dont have the same beliefs, common folklore, common modes of dressing, common religions, etc.

So, like I said, it would be like lumping in the tower of babel populace and forcing them to be one if Urhobo, Esan and Bini are to become one. However, Urhobo and Isoko can do this due to their striking similarity in language and cultural homogeneity. In this regards, I always argue that Urhobo and Isoko, rather than divide and become minorities, with Isoko being a micro-minority, should harmonise themselves and gazette their harmony so that they can become a formidable force in the South-South!

Esan has his own king,please only speak what you know. All the five local government of the Esan tribe has a king
Esan migrated from Benin kingdom just like your Urbhobo etc the only different yours is in Delta while Esan is in Edo state.
My 2kobo!

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by lovebird65(m): 9:35pm On May 31, 2016
Wack
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 9:36pm On May 31, 2016
Good work but incomplete. No Anoicha, no Ika etc
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by chubbygal(f): 9:37pm On May 31, 2016
Where is MGBOWO from Agwu LGA Enugu state

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by fratermathy(m): 9:38pm On May 31, 2016
martha89:

Esan has his own king,please only speak what you know. All the five local government of the Esan tribe has a kings

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Esan kings are ONLY Dukes (Enogies) and Reagents (Odions) to the Oba of Benin undecided ?

This is a common trend to all the tribes in Edo State. The former Benin Empire made sure of this hegemonic system.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by martha89: 9:40pm On May 31, 2016
fratermathy:

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Esan kings are ONLY Dukes (Enogies) and Reagents (Odions) to the Oba of Benin undecided ?

This is a common trend to all the tribes in Edo State. The former Benin Empire made sure of this hegemonic system.
the Urbhobos ones might be a duke not Esan.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esan_people
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by donsteady(m): 9:41pm On May 31, 2016
fratermathy:

Okpe kingdom is one of the highly revered and respected kingdom in Urhobo land. The Orodje of Okpe is a First Class monarch and one of the most influential monarchs in Delta State. Okpe people speak a distinct dialect of Urhobo that has striking similarities to Isoko. Their dialect is almost unintelligible to other Urhobo speakers but the average Okpe man can speak and understand central Agbarho Urhobo. Okpe kingdom encompasses Orerokpe, the traditional headquarters, through Amukpe and Aghalokpe, to Sapele, the commercial city of Okpe kingdom! Other major towns include Okuokoko and Osubi which are in the Warri Metropolis, Oha, Okuodiete, etc.

Ask me what you want to know about Okpe people if you are interested cheesy
Thanks. Please check your gmail.com
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by tylerbraid(m): 9:42pm On May 31, 2016
Educative... Nigeria is a continent mehn
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 31, 2016
GossipHeart:
The most successful, most educated, the tribe with the highest number of millionaires, the most peaceful tribe.

Guess what tribe

Ibos
Ehehn

Tell us more

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by fratermathy(m): 9:43pm On May 31, 2016
martha89:
the Urbhobos ones might be a dukes not Esan.

Urhobos don't subscribe to the Oba of Benin so we dont have dukes. We dont even have Enogies or Odions in Urhoboland. I told you this before.

Mind you, all ENOGIES and ODIONS are subject to confirmation by the OBA!!! Ask your elders for your tradition. Dont make me teach you online.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by TheArchangel(f): 9:44pm On May 31, 2016
YourNemesis:

The list is just poo.
But you know there are two Egbemas, one is an Igbo tribe, the other one is Egbema Ijaw grup.
Ne kwanu anya. Egbema of Imo and Egbema of Rivers which was separated by an imaginary line because of oil.

Abeg no make I vex for you sir. Which kain Egbema ijaw? What the fvck.

4 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by daddyiel(m): 9:44pm On May 31, 2016
Op where is Ohafia, Abia state on that list?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by fratermathy(m): 9:46pm On May 31, 2016
martha89:
the Urbhobos ones might be a duke not Esan.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esan_people

In that same wiki link you posted, you forgot to read this:

Esan kingdoms had a varying degree of autonomy, but were ultimately controlled by the Benin Empire. The Oba approved the Enogie of Esanland, and Esan kingdoms paid tribute to Benin.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by YonkijiSappo: 9:48pm On May 31, 2016
TheArchangel:
Ne kwanu anya. Egbema of Imo and Egbema of Rivers which was separated by an imaginary line because of oil.

Abeg no make I vex for you sir. Which kain Egbema ijaw? What the fvck.

you are just a very dumb bimbo.
There is Egbema Ijaw tribe in Delta and Bayelsa.
You Ibos can be so irritating ...jeez!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by martha89: 9:50pm On May 31, 2016
[quote author=fratermathy post=46153657]

Urhobos don't subscribe to the Oba of Benin so we dont have dukes. We dont even have Enogies or Odions in Urhoboland. I told you this before.

Mind you, all ENOGIES and ODIONS are subject to confirmation by the OBA!!! Ask your elders for your tradition. Dont mak me teach you online.[/quote bye you refused to learn and focus on your urbhobos and mind your business since you dont want to learn. How are you going to tell me about my tribe. I am from Irrua and my king have never have to go the Benin's for anything. The urbhobos have no king and all they have is a dukes.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by OmoIgala: 9:50pm On May 31, 2016
Igala: Kogi, Enugu, Anambra, Edo, Delta.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tribes And The States Where They Live. by AnanseK(m): 9:50pm On May 31, 2016
whirlwind7:
Fulani is not in the list, so how come they are one of the major tribes in the north?
Did you omit it?

Bubu will not be happy about this.

See 119

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Origin Of Various Igbo Clans / Ooni Ogunwusi And Silekunola Moronke Naomi's First Outing (Picture) / 4 Northern Nigeria Elites Whose Daughters Don’t Wear Hijab (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.