Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (105229 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by modik(m): 10:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
davodyguy:
Its really interesting.

We just commissioned a mega gas station adjacent to Lagos Business School in Ajah and it is fully solar powered

No single electricity from the national grid.
All ACs, pumps, lightings and equipment all get fed from the solar panel.

It cost is millions of naira

We have 48 *3 batteries. Installed i.e 144 200Ah batteries and 93KVA total power available at the station

What is the precise cost implication ie. Installation and periodic maintenance costs?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 10:43pm On Jun 05, 2016
You need to get an mppt charge controller! The one you have there is not OK. You can get the epsolar 40A of fangpusen from aliexpress.com. That mercury inverter is a disaster wrt the charger. Get any of the Indian inverters like sulkam or get an external smart charger. Your solar, is it 200w or 1200w? If its 200w, the voltage may not be able to charge d batteries...you need two in series.
inception101:
Hi, nice thread. I had mine recently installed. 2.4kva with 2 btl sollar batteries and 1_200wats solar panel but the truth is i'v never enjoyed it since day one as I stay in d east and I paid for for transportation and installation all d way from ibadan and yet the thing has been a real pain and regrets ever since. Imagine leaving d house since morning and coming bak and d so called solar doesn't last 30 minutes with ma laptop, ceiling fan, ps4 and one or two bulbs on(with out load, it reads 12.7 and when fully charged with gen it reads 13.1 but as soon as u power anything it goes down to 12.5 and below drastically). It's so disheartening. Pls what's d way forward

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by davodyguy: 10:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
modik:

What is the cost implication ie. Installation and periodic maintenance costs?

This is over 5million naira, but can link you up with the people that fixed for is at our gas station
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by inception101(m): 10:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
Donaldomo:
With the picture u posted, I bet say that you work lacks d perfect touch of an expert. On d other hand, d nature, type and no of batteries used may have contributed to ur predicament with d system. So I urge u to contact a correct expert to look at the system properly for accurate diagnosis. So can work well in Nigeria.

It's btL solar batteries, even when fully charged with gen_load on it last 3 to 2:30 before ma game goes off and on light bulbs alone it can go All day. I can't even make use of my laptop,game, and TV at d same time let alone freezer

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by mikoy1(m): 11:03pm On Jun 05, 2016
is it a must to use battery when using solar?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by tunero1010(m): 11:17pm On Jun 05, 2016
I have been using Nigerian branded BUDTRON inverter for the past 3yrs and my sister 2yrs 2mnths,my dad 1yr without issues the only problem was the battery but their inverter is very rugged over charge n under charge control with LCD display.I think its the best cos it is built in Nigeria and for Nigerians. you can call them 08023015163

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by viewflux(m): 11:18pm On Jun 05, 2016
Booking space for feature reference.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Bishops10(m): 11:24pm On Jun 05, 2016
babosky2008:
psychophantic goat
Who
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Bishops10(m): 11:28pm On Jun 05, 2016
DzTzl:
Adebuhari omo oluwamuhammadu eeyan olufashola grin

[size=25pt] Let me just forget about this river Nile name you wrote here.....Ma'am is that you@Dp [/size]
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:36pm On Jun 05, 2016
Cherishing:
Oga you forgot to your contact Abi you no wan sell market

I didn't come here to sell bro.. Just want to help myself out and also help would be solar system owners.. Thank you..

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 11:39pm On Jun 05, 2016
Yes...same way you must use a water pump with a tank for storage. You cannot just connect the pump to ur house grin
mikoy1:
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:40pm On Jun 05, 2016
Flips:

Please I will like to buy a solar inverter (3.5kvA) + 4 batteries. Do you know a reliable seller(s) in Lagos?
Where did you get yours if I may ask?

Got it from Alaba but when it comes to guarantee, I don't think the person that sold to me can give you that.. He will tell you 6 months but may be able to change only the controller or other cheaper stuff like inverter.. Told him about my battery issues and he talking crap. Would be going to Alaba soon to go look for some other dealers tho. Whenever you ready, you can holla at me and I meet you up at Alaba if you're ok with that..

Although the man kinda tried when I upgraded from a 12V system to 24V system. He took back the inverter I bought from him and gave me a larger capacity one and I had to balance up. Same thing was done with the charge controller. But in the case of the solar panels, he deducted 5k each from the amount I bought the panels before taking them back, his reason was that I've damaged the wire that came with the panels.

If you can make him keep up with guarantee, he will not be bad to deal with tho.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:41pm On Jun 05, 2016
kekakuz:
was about to but the mtn inverter until I heard it can't even power a laptop

Which one is MTN inverter?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
Kelechi2020:
Following strictly....i would love to know the cost implications though...

The inverter I bought was for 46k in January. Surprisingly, it is 48k now.. While I bought my first 200Ah battery on 1st Jan for 48k, bought the second one for 55k and switched my 850va inverter for the 1,600va inverter (balanced up payment afterwards). Now these same batteries goes for 80.something thousand naira. It's really shooting up, along with solar panels.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Emeka71(m): 11:48pm On Jun 05, 2016
We use up to 24 solar panels with Trista Inverter and 6 batteries . I shall snap them tomorrow .
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:51pm On Jun 05, 2016
Emeka71:
We use up to 24 solar panels with Trista Inverter and 6 batteries . I shall snap them tomorrow .

How long have the batteries lasted? What brand of batteries and do they deliver to the stated capacity?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Emeka71(m): 11:52pm On Jun 05, 2016
mikoy1:
Can you use laptop without battery ?

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 11:54pm On Jun 05, 2016
promisengr:
Nice thread
I'd like to know, how many typical household appliances and a panel power.

Any appliance can be powered by your inverter. But the thing is, you have to get the right capacity of inverter that can power such stuff. Also, you need to have enough batteries and panels to enable you enjoy enough charge/current for each particular day.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by YoursGEJ(m): 11:56pm On Jun 05, 2016
DMerciful:
Alternative power sources like inverter/batteries and solar are for powering light load esp for convenience. They cannot economically replace public power supply when the load becomes large. For 3 bedroom flats , 5 energy bulbs is enuf at any particular time, 1 freezer is enuf to run for 5hours per day, 1 led TV and prob 2 rechargeable fans(they are more energy efficient). A 300w* 4 solar panels, 40a epsolar charge controller, 1.5kva sulkam inverter, 4*200AH batteries and you're good. If you need specifics...hala me

Would the setup you recommend here be suitable for a 4 bedroom house with one 50 inch LCD TV, one fridge, 8 bulbs, 2 laptops, charging 8 mobile phones?

I would like to be completely off-grid (24 hours) so I'm thinking I could get a 2kVa or 2.5 kVa inverter instead of a 1.5kVa.

Also, can you suggest what each of these components should cost? I no want make them cheat me grin
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:00am On Jun 06, 2016
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:09am On Jun 06, 2016
YoursGEJ:

Would the setup you recommend here be suitable for a 4 bedroom house with one 50 inch LCD TV, one fridge, 8 bulbs, 2 laptops, charging 8 mobile phones?

I would like to be completely off-grid (24 hours) so I'm thinking I could get a 2kVa or 2.5 kVa inverter instead of a 1.5kVa.

Also, can you suggest what each of these components should cost? I no want make them cheat me grin

For the items listed, even 1.5Kva will do the trick but I will always advice people to go for higher inverters in case they'd wanna increase load in the future. Your TV should not be more than 350w, if the bulbs are energy efficient then let's peg their total wattage at 40w (some bulbs are as low as 3w), laptops usually are rated about 50-70w. Let me peg yours at 70 each, means total will be 140w for two laptops. Modern fridge should not be more than 300-400w. Total power rating is about 940w, let's say, max of 1,000W (1KW). Dividing this value by 0.8 will convert the Wattage to Va. This equals to 1,250Va (1.25KVa). Adding 20% for surge, we will have 1,500Va (1.5KVa)

In terms of battery capacity needed, will get back to you..

For cost..

Batteries cost between 70something to 100K for Indian products but will cost higher for American brands.
Inverter (2.5KVa) will cost about 60 - 90K
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by ranktzy(m): 12:20am On Jun 06, 2016
ekpotek:
Got one installed in December 2015. Cost me N250K including installtion. Consist of
130watt mono x6 panels N120,000
35Amp solar charger controller N15000
200Amh deep cycle batteriea x2 N100000
3KVa modified sine wave 12v inverter. Systems still workiing and powers my big fridge. Get up to six hours of power supply after sunset. Saves me about 10 litres of petrol everyday for my generator.

You didn't state the cost of the inverter, how much did it cost you.. Did you install it yourself?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:25am On Jun 06, 2016
petekayo:
Where can I learn solar panel installation?

I learnt mine from the internet and by practice bro. You can also do same yourself..

Perfecttouch:
nice thread but analyzing with price attached will have helped greatly. Pls do that for would be buyers like me cos I need to be convinced really cos I still don't believe in this solar thing.and if am to use it with 1hp air condition,what and what will u recommend? Pls explain in a lay mans term

sEGXY2:

How much would everything amount to?

ibietela2:

How much did it cost

Inverter = 48K
First battery = 48K
Second battery = 55K (within same month I bought the first one and note that these batteries goes for 70something K and upward now)
Panels= 49k * 2 = 98K
50Amps charge controller = 35K
Flexible wire = 10 yards for 7k
Bought 3 rechargeable fans during that time but didn't think to include the prices.

Bought steel materials and constructed the solar rack myself
Did the installation myself but I however, used the help of an electrician that did some wiring works to go with my inverter system. He's a friend so I gave him just beer money (1K). Mind you, this was the first installation I've ever done. Learnt from the internet and did it myself.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:27am On Jun 06, 2016
Lanjonath:
If I may ask sir, how many solar Panels do you use with the charge controller?

I use 2 of 300W solar panels with a 50Amps charge controller
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:28am On Jun 06, 2016
sadediji2:

sadediji2gist this is very interesting

Thanks a lot.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:32am On Jun 06, 2016
dljbd1:
@ SycophanticGoat
Please you didn't tell us the appliances your inverter successfully powers.
Thanks.

The inverter can power TV, ceiling fan, standing fan, laptop, charge phones etc. But I'm a very conservative person so I use it with fan, laptop and charging only.. I love the batteries lasting till morning without me sweating and that was the purpose/essence of buying the whole thing in the first (during this January period when it seemed Nigeria was closer to the sun than any other part of the world).. cheesy
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:37am On Jun 06, 2016
manmidtexy:

What is Price of 300W/24V solar panel dat time?

What is the Brand or Manufacturer ?

Can you give Merchant or seller info & location?

biodun@manmid.com

300W/24V panels was 49K as at ending of Jan this yr.

I'm not really trying to market anyone and I hope you don't put the responsibility of any fault on me.. His business name is Ezi Blessed Nig. Ltd. Location is Ojo Alaba and mobile number is 08039644115

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:46am On Jun 06, 2016
darediamond:
First thing first, when choosing your Solar Panel, if you can not get 3-junction PVC , then buy only Monocrystaline Panels.

You need not to spend so much to get Solar Generator to Power your Electronics.

Original Mercury Deep Cell Battery made in Korea works well for me.

Unless you need power in the evening, you can preferably buy Grid-tie Inverter which is always all in one as it as been integrated with Maximum Power Point Tracker Controller to enable you get the most out of your Solar Panels. BuybMonocrystaline Panels always only.

You can still use battery with a grid-tie inverter mind you. Butbif you are on rigth budget, then G.T inverter will save you cost at the expense of no night power.

MPTT controller integrated in grid tie inverter makes sure that if your Panel is rated at 300w for example, you will at least be getting a minimum of 250 Watt of Power from your panel during the daylight.

Make sure the inverter you will buy have proper copper wound transformer and is as well integrated with Overload Protection, Short Circuit Protection, battery Low Voltage Protection.

I bougth my Panels from China as well as my Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Pure Sine Wave Inverter is what you should always go for to keep safe your electronics from possible malfunction and fault.

You can buy your Pure Sine Wave inverter on Aliexpress. Mine is name I power. It is built to withstand Overload, reverse Polarity etc.and I have tested all this Protection levels and it works fine. No damage at all. When you mistakenly overload it for example, instead of it to affect it internal component like MOSFET, the inverter will Shut down on it own. Immaginne that!

You can buy your Panels from Chinese on Alibaba.com

Just negotiate with the sale rep per watt starting fro say 10Watt. But prepare he or she ahead to agree to the fact that the more wattage you buy, the lesser the price.
But presently, most manufactures are selling Monocrystaline Cellers per Wattage between 30cent to 55cent.

Solar Business is the next big highly lucrativevBiz you can go into now. You justvhave to avoid greediness in the biz to make it big time or do I say attract people at large to buy from you.

One Package you can bring in now is 120Watt Folding Monocrystaline Panel with 150W Pure Sine Wave Grid Tie Inverter with 5V 2A USB port. This Package is for Students.

You can even remove the inverter and go straight for Integrated Universal Laptop DC to DC Charger of 150. The integration therein implies that the DC to DC universal Laptop Adapter will have on it board MPTT Circuit which will be feeding the main Circuit of the Universal Laptop Adapter Circuit.

So Buyers of this Package will need no Battery at all to use the folding 120watt Monocrystaline Panel to get there Laptops Charged during the day anywhere they are.

The panel will have a shock absorbing carrier bag to ensure Smith mobility. It Advance universal adapter will have the major tips of Laptop brands like Accer, Samsung etc.

You can get electronics engineering company to newly manufacture this type of laptop adapter for you.

The adapter can also be made to have 2 USB output of 5v/2A each for fast charging assurance.

If you have the money go into this Biz now forget electronics as people lacks constant power supply to power there phones let alone other bigger ones.

Be wise. Be a problem solver not Problem creator.

Lovely contribution and well appreciated. In my case, I'm looking for faster stuff. Can't go for importation presently because my uncle asked that I come up with the price of what he needs in his home. I need to get prices of good brands that I can table to him.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by YoursGEJ(m): 12:55am On Jun 06, 2016
SycophanticGoat:

For the items listed, even 1.5Kva will do the trick but I will always advice people to go for higher inverters in case they'd wanna increase load in the future. Your TV should not be more than 350w, if the bulbs are energy efficient then let's peg their total wattage at 40w (some bulbs are as low as 3w), laptops usually are rated about 50-70w. Let me peg yours at 70 each, means total will be 140w for two laptops. Modern fridge should not be more than 300-400w. Total power rating is about 940w, let's say, max of 1,000W (1KW). Dividing this value by 0.8 will convert the Wattage to Va. This equals to 1,250Va (1.25KVa). Adding 20% for surge, we will have 1,500Va (1.5KVa)

In terms of battery capacity needed, will get back to you..

For cost..

Batteries cost between 70something to 100K for Indian products but will cost higher for American brands.
Inverter (2.5KVa) will cost about 60 - 90K

Going with your calculated load of 1000W, does that mean I need 250W*4 solar panels? Looking forward to hearing about the batteries also
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:56am On Jun 06, 2016
inception101:
Hi, nice thread. I had mine recently installed. 2.4kva with 2 btl sollar batteries and 1_200wats solar panel but the truth is i'v never enjoyed it since day one as I stay in d east and I paid for for transportation and installation all d way from ibadan and yet the thing has been a real pain and regrets ever since. Imagine leaving d house since morning and coming bak and d so called solar doesn't last 30 minutes with ma laptop, ceiling fan, ps4 and one or two bulbs on(with out load, it reads 12.7 and when fully charged with gen it reads 13.1 but as soon as u power anything it goes down to 12.5 and below drastically). It's so disheartening. Pls what's d way forward

I think the problem is with the batteries. I've had issues with my battery too but I decided to run it flat and charge it well enough yesterday, now it has gone back to how it was before I had that issue with one of it.. I think it's best we make enquiries before going solar, especially when buying batteries. Also, are you sure your panel produces as much as 1,200W? I asked because I can't fathom how you'd be using that much panel for only 200Ah (100Ah each connected in series to give a 200Ah battery bank) battery capacity. I use only 600W (2 of 300W panels) for my two batteries (200Ah each but connected in parallel to give a 200Ah battery bank).

You need to change those batteries I suppose...

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 12:57am On Jun 06, 2016
YoursGEJ:

Going with your calculated load of 1000W, does that mean I need 250W*4 solar panels? Looking forward to hearing about the batteries also

That will then depend on the number of hours you will like to power each of your appliances pa day. State the number of hours and I will go further with my calculations..
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by SycophanticGoat: 1:03am On Jun 06, 2016
sjahdey:
Very interesting topic.

How much power do you generate?

What electrical appliances do you power with your system?

Well, I don't like overworking my batteries so that it powers all my fans throughout the night. My inverter can power most appliances apart from those that rate high (like iron, AC, etc) but I bought it specifically to combat heat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Sloth Caught In My School Today / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.