Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,878 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (105231 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 3:41pm On Jun 08, 2016
superbouck:
Where can I get inverter in ibadan (just for a room)
Show the light... At Oke Padre (close to Salvation Army), actually there are several shop that deal in solar installation components on that street
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by superbouck(m): 5:00pm On Jun 08, 2016
timifakay:

Show the light... At Oke Padre (close to Salvation Army), actually there are several shop that deal in solar installation components on that street
pls like how much can I use to power my room
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 9:39pm On Jun 08, 2016
superbouck:
pls like how much can I use to power my room

What's the proposed load and runtime?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 10:42pm On Jun 08, 2016
I have luminous inverter batteries 200Ah/12v for sale @ 42k. Battery last 4hrs.

call/whatsapp 08137539988
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by carik(m): 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2016
darocha1:
I have luminous inverter batteries 200Ah/12v for sale @ 42k. Battery last 4hrs.

call/whatsapp 08137539988

Isn't that too expensive

I actually need a 100Ah/12V battery
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by superbouck(m): 10:07pm On Jun 09, 2016
timifakay:

What's the proposed load and runtime?
one fan,one plasma television and one bulb one dvd/decoder:
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by frank045(m): 7:32am On Jun 10, 2016
Looking for a reliable solar and inverter company Lorenzo power limited z d answer. We have a very quality and affordable solar and inverter wit one yr warranty. Our office is at Elime plaza by ebeano turnel Enugu, or U can call us on 08060234463. Our website www.lorenzopower.com. Quality z uncompressed, always go for quality
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by frank045(m): 7:41am On Jun 10, 2016
[quote author=Flips post=46305413]
Please I will like to buy a solar inverter (3.5kvA) + 4 batteries. Do you know a reliable seller(s) in Lagos?
Where did you get yours if I may ask?[/quote
we R d most reliable source, Lorenzo power limited z d answer call or whatsap us @ 08060234463
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 7:53am On Jun 10, 2016
superbouck:
one fan,one plasma television and one bulb one dvd/decoder:

Plasma television or LED? Cause plasma is energy consuming, try checking the Watt rating on the labels of those items, tat will give a more specific result.
Is the fan that big industrial OX or a small fan? But I'm guessing 1.5kva would be enough. How many hours daily do you want to run each item too, that will determine battery bank size.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by xxgig(m): 12:27am On Jun 11, 2016
donxab:

This is huge!
We did a similar project in SHESTCO Abuja some years back!
93,000W is really huge! Did u use string inverters for this project?
I WANT TO LEARN HOW THIS THING IS INSTALLED AND SET UP. I WAS ASK TO BRING 20K. DO YOU THINK ITS WHAT IT? WHATS IS THE PROSPECTS FOR A CARRIER IN THIS FIELD. BYE THE WAY I READ CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 11, 2016
xxgig:
I WANT TO LEARN HOW THIS THING IS INSTALLED AND SET UP. I WAS ASK TO BRING 20K. DO YOU THINK ITS WHAT IT? WHATS IS THE PROSPECTS FOR A CARRIER IN THIS FIELD. BYE THE WAY I READ CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
20k is well worth it if your tutor is a professional! Because there are many quarks around that who perform blunder all in the form of installation, I went to check a clients solar system some months back only to discover six batteries connected in series-parallel and only four were actually connected. Solar is the next big thing, so a carrier is very valid.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by xxgig(m): 8:16am On Jun 11, 2016
donxab:

20k is well worth it if your tutor is a professional! Because there are many quarks around that who perform blunder all in the form of installation, I went to check a clients solar system some months back only to discover six batteries connected in series-parallel and only four were actually connected. Solar is the next big thing, so a carrier is very valid.
THANKS ALOT.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 8:42am On Jun 11, 2016
donxab:

Dont ever discredit your colleagues job in public. People make mistakes, people learn in the job.
You can nust make your point on the quality of training and value of the money without discredit.
Thanks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 8:48am On Jun 11, 2016
xxgig:

My co-engineer, i will like you to drop the mindset of whether you studied chemical or mechanical. Ask yourself if its worth learning? After learning can you get jobs & handle on your own? Can you source for contracts & monitor site technicians to deliver a good job?.
If you are able to satisfy yourself with this answers then, you know the next step to take.
As for the amount, price varies on quality of training. Na you reach thete, so only you can tell if the shop/office/company can deliver what you want.
But of course that will be after you have asked yourself the initial questions on what you want.
I studied elect/comp engineering & am the principal consultant of an ICT firm, so calling u co-engineer no be NL gig.
Thanks
08137539988 , feel free to communicate
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:59am On Jun 11, 2016
darocha1:

Dont ever discredit your colleagues job in public. People make mistakes, people learn in the job.
You can nust make your point on the quality of training and value of the money without discredit.
Thanks
Oga did I mention any name?
Or am I advertising?

I was just using an example to explain what the man should be conscious about if he will pay such amount

5 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by humblemind007: 12:03pm On Jun 11, 2016
@lanjonath installed my solar system, his firm is very reliable, they give warranty on everything Nd round the clock support. His email add z all ovr the thread. @frank045

[quote author=frank045 post=46436257][/quote]
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by xxgig(m): 1:23pm On Jun 11, 2016
darocha1:

My co-engineer, i will like you to drop the mindset of whether you studied chemical or mechanical. Ask yourself if its worth learning? After learning can you get jobs & handle on your own? Can you source for contracts & monitor site technicians to deliver a good job?.
If you are able to satisfy yourself with this answers then, you know the next step to take.
As for the amount, price varies on quality of training. Na you reach thete, so only you can tell if the shop/office/company can deliver what you want.
But of course that will be after you have asked yourself the initial questions on what you want.
I studied elect/comp engineering & am the principal consultant of an ICT firm, so calling u co-engineer no be NL gig.
Thanks
HMMM! wise words. thanks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by kauskey(m): 10:49am On Jun 13, 2016
Darocha1, Nice contributions and good insights! keep it up. Other gurus in the house I hail ooo.
I also have an engineering background and planning to go fully into this solar/inverter biz. I am still updating myself behind the scene. Could any be kind enough to recommend a reliable place in portharcourt where one could have hands-on-training in this biz?
darocha1:

Thanks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Muoweta: 7:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
Solar technology hmmmm who no go no know. Too many fraud stars in this biz everybody claiming to be nice and a guru. When ur money enter their hand stories begin ranging from
1.exchange rate
2.tendency of supplying substandard batteries at the expensive rate
3. You pay for mono solar panel they supply poly panel
4. They say mono 300w n supply 270w or less
The list is endless, before you bash me please ask yourselves why Govt solar projects don't last long?? it requires a very sincere person to do a nice job but believe me you will definitely learn from mistakes.

Beware of those who will choose to bash me they might just be guilty

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 7:36pm On Jun 13, 2016
Muoweta:
Solar technology hmmmm who no go no know. Too many fraud stars in this biz everybody claiming to be nice and a guru. When ur money enter their hand stories begin ranging from
1.exchange rate
2.tendency of supplying substandard batteries at the expensive rate
3. You pay for mono solar panel they supply poly panel
4. They say mono 300w n supply 270w or less
The list is endless, before you bash me please ask yourselves why Govt solar projects don't last long?? it requires a very sincere person to do a nice job but believe me you will definitely learn from mistakes.

You were making good sense till the point you had tpo compare a private project to govt (idk) project
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Donaldomo(m): 10:16pm On Jun 13, 2016
You have shown ur skills truly! First, majority of present day easily affordable small house hold fridges don't have power above 200W and so are likely to powered effectively by a 2.4 kva inverter. And did u notice the word "some" in my comment!? I would on the other hand agree that to have a better and more reliable system, it is better to go for a higher type of inverter. Even 1.5kva system carry some fridges,not to talk of a 2.4kva type.
Tbillz:
fridge of 300 to 330W? Including a fan of maybe 80W? Lol you must be joking. Only the surge power of the fridge might break down the 2.4kva Inverter. But recent fridges are energy saving ones. My dear user for better life span dont put your fridge on it.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by ceaser: 11:06pm On Jun 13, 2016
chinebu:
I will need to power 5 2hp air conditioners. One big fridge and one freezer. 2 tv sets. 7 ceiling fans. 2 big halogen bulb security light and pumping machine. Occationally using electric cooker in the kitchen.

I just need a practically workable advise even if it needs shading some of load from my needs.

Frankly, I think you are expecting too much from a modest system.

First, you shouldn't really toy with the idea of putting a hot plate/electric cooker on a solar system. A properly sized one can work, yes, and probably if we are a lot closer to the sun than planet venus, but that'll be great disservice to other important, less power guzzling equipments in your home that'll benefit from your harnessed power.

Second. I wonder why peeps keep talking of filament bulbs or energy saving bulbs (CFL) when talking of solar systems in this age. CFL bulbs are of course energy saving and also JUST OKAY for solar systems but hey, what happens to the ever efficient, more energy saving LED bulbs? You can get as much as 4 to 10 times very low wattage LED bulb from your CFL and about 20 to 30 times of same from your halogen lamp and guess what, you get the same lumen (light) output.

As for the fans, there are 12 volts DC ceiling fans that you can get installed for cheap. You connect them to the 12 volt output of your existing solar charge controller or they can have their own dedicated low wattage solar panel, do fine on PWM charge controllers and a few mah battery. This way, you put less pressure on the Alternating current generation of your inverter, hence longer power available for you per charge.

Your pump can be powered by solar energy depending on the capacity of the inverter, but you may need to shed loads for the duration of use of your pump. A Solar operated pumps would have been a good option, but that can cost an arm and a leg.

I'm not sure if there are people who have placed air conditioners on a modest solar energy set up, but perhaps some peeps here can provide an insight into that.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by ceaser: 11:21pm On Jun 13, 2016
mercifull:
I use the mtn solar panel. Comes with 2 bulbs and a fan for 30k.plus I can charge my phone, tab and mini laptop. And I recharge 3 K monthly. That's just OK for me for now cos I live in a small apartment.

Can you tell us more about that offer from MTN?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 11:55pm On Jun 13, 2016
ceaser:

First, you shouldn't really toy with the idea of putting a hot plate/electric cooker on a solar system. A properly sized one can work, yes, and probably if we are a lot closer to the sun than planet venus, but that'll be great disservice to other important, less power guzzling equipments in your home that'll benefit from your harnessed power.

Even at the said location, the temperature will reduce panel efficiency... lol
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by bobojoshua(m): 12:25am On Jun 14, 2016
ceaser:

Second. I wonder why peeps keep talking of filament bulbs or energy saving bulbs (CFL) when talking of solar systems in this age. CFL bulbs are of course energy saving and also JUST OKAY for solar systems but hey, what happens to the ever efficient, more energy saving LED bulbs? You can get as much as 4 to 10 times very low wattage LED bulb from your CFL and about 20 to 30 times of same from your halogen lamp and guess what, you get the same lumen (light) output.

As for the fans, there are 12 volts DC ceiling fans that you can get installed for cheap. You connect them to the 12 volt output of your existing solar charge controller or they can have their own dedicated low wattage solar panel, do fine on PWM charge controllers and a few mah battery. This way, you put less pressure on the Alternating current generation of your inverter, hence longer power available for you per charge.

Your pump can be powered by solar energy depending on the capacity of the inverter, but you may need to shed loads for the duration of use of your pump. A Solar operated pumps would have been a good option, but that can cost an arm and a leg.

I'm not sure if there are people who have placed air conditioners on a modest solar energy set up, but perhaps some peeps here can provide an insight into that.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 2:50am On Jun 14, 2016
Hello Guru`s

Will a 12volt 1.5KVA inverter be able to charge a 4x12 volt battery bank

Picture below

Note- I will be using point 2 and 7 as charging point

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 7:47am On Jun 14, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Guru`s
Picture below

Yes it willl. connect 2 in series then parallel it
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
Lanjonath:
Yh, you should add Solar to the mix, you won't regret it. It'll be a hybrid system that uses all three sources to run your home and if incorperated properly, you'd probably touch your gen. once every few months

Please how can I know if my solar panel is actually charging my battery looking at the display page of my charge controller. No sign indicates charging. Just noticing this.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by akbahbah(m): 12:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
Lanjonath:
Yh, you should add Solar to the mix, you won't regret it. It'll be a hybrid system that uses all three sources to run your home and if incorperated properly, you'd probably touch your gen. once every few months

Please how can I know if my solar panel is actually charging my battery looking at the display page of my charge controller. No sign indicates charging. Just noticing this.
timifakay:

Even at the said location, the temperature will reduce panel efficiency... lol

Bros how can I know if my solar panel is charging my battery looking at the charge controller display page. Nothing seems moving here. No arrow indication from panel to battery.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Guru`s

Picture below

The diagram will result in a 24v system, your batteries should be 12v because your inverter also is 12v
Note: I could be wrong

akbahbah:

Bros how can I know if my solar panel is charging my battery looking at the charge controller display page. Nothing seems moving here. No arrow indication from panel to battery.

I assume your charge controller should have an indicator LED
Or the display should show battery State of charge.
Those buttons should help you navigate and view different information, try and go through the manual, it will help you figure out the operation and various display options of the charge controller.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 8:40pm On Jun 14, 2016
This connection is confusing. Connect all in parallel that's it.
shamecurls:
Hello Guru`s

Picture below

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Lanjonath(m): 9:11pm On Jun 14, 2016
That's the challenge with PWM controllers, most of them don't clearly state the State of Charge of the batteries. But going by the Charge Controller display, you have a 12V system installed, you'll have to look for the display that shows current going from the solar panels to the batteries and it should read 12.4V+

akbahbah:

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

Sloth Caught In My School Today / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.