Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,442 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. - Science/Technology (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. (105182 Views)

See Power Innovations That Can Solve The Electricity Supply Problem In Nigeria / 10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / Scientist Have Found A Way To Recycle Sunlight — Good News For Solar Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Im2Busy2Bother: 8:10am On Jul 15, 2016
1kinggy:

I live in South West, Nigeria. We have abundance of sunlight, but some cloud during rainy season (March - october) and dust during our dry / harmattan season. On the average, 6 -7 hours of good sunlight. (Between 830am - 4 pm, local time).

As for market, power generation and distribution is unreliable and a lot of home users are going off grid or adding alternative sources to supplement. So the market is big and still growing if your products are good and affordable

@bolded >>>>>>Very important
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 8:45am On Jul 15, 2016
Good morning,

here are some results. For the calculation I took Lagos as the reference location.
Global insolation for Lagos is 1.648 kWh/m2 per year.
Min. temp. 20°C and max. temp. 34°C (this is important for the solar cell efficiency and energy production.)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 8:52am On Jul 15, 2016
Scenario system setup:
PV-Modules: 2 pcs., 270 Watts(peak) each, polycristalline
Total PV: 540 Watts(peak)
Setup: 10° inclination

Battery storage: yes, let's assume "big enough" 2,5 kWh (in theory.)
System efficiency: 84% (loss is due to MPPT charger, inverter, cable loss, ambient temperature, heat of battery)

Estimated solar energy production: 735 kWh per year, i.e. 735 kWh / 365 days = 2,01 kWh per day.

If you use PWM charger, the production is less.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by obuksjr(m): 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by MontyNG(m): 12:38am On Jul 21, 2016
Following!!
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Cargoed: 10:28am On Jul 21, 2016
@john quote us a 10kw/kva system what price in total. You will quickly see that it is people like you that is stopping the mass adoption of Renewable energy. I will suggest you generate and send to the grid instead as your tech, does not fit micro economics.

We are quoting, 10kw for just N1.3m and 3yrs guarantee. 10-25yrs warrantee. So Mr john give me your quote.

You can't make solar only for the very rich it defeats the purpose. And please don't reduce us to solar lamps. thks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2016
@ Cargoed: I am sorry, IF I insulted anyone. But I do not think that I have insulted anyone?!

I think, in general it is good that many people think of energy-efficiency before making a purchase of any electronic devices.

I would like to share my knowledge, solar experience of several years and access to some simulation software.
In the beginning, obviously I made not so good solar designs, but after implementing real-world applications over several years, I hope to share my lessons learned with the house.

Of course, there is a reason why there is a market segmentation.

And I do agree that it is not fair that many people need to work their butt off, just to have some basic comfort, when light is off,
whereas it's the government's task to provide for the basic infrastructure, including light. (But this is a political issue, and I do not want to get involved in that!)

I prefer suppliers who provide 2 or 5 years of warranty AND who do not disappear after making the purchase.
But this is everyone's decision.

sunny regards,
John
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by spyglaxx: 6:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
Sir i have a challenge with the CM3024Z SOLAR CONTROLLER.It stops charging whenever the battery is full and will not charge again till batteries almost down. What can i do?
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 9:32pm On Jul 21, 2016
Cargoed:
@john quote us a 10kw/kva system what price in total. You will quickly see that it is people like you that is stopping the mass adoption of Renewable energy. I will suggest you generate and send to the grid instead as your tech, does not fit micro economics.

We are quoting, 10kw for just N1.3m and 3yrs guarantee. 10-25yrs warrantee. So Mr john give me your quote.

You can't make solar only for the very rich it defeats the purpose. And please don't reduce us to solar lamps. thks

10kw is not for the poor, in fact, it's more than the load of an average household. Much more.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 9:36am On Jul 22, 2016
@spyglaxx:
Do you have a voltmeter? Can you double check the voltage on the battery?
Can you tell us the voltage of the different states.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Cargoed: 6:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
@john and tofakay
The reason I went for that high standard is because many people don't yet care of using energy efficient devices. so I throw at them excess power. Just like NEPA unfortunately NEPA cuts off any day any time. in my case you spend once that is it.

But you see customer side issues play a huge roll in implementing renewable energy.

My solution for the poor or very mobile clients is to give them distributed energy within their home.

So Solar freezer N150k. Solar Iron with 7bulbs N70k. Solar T.V N150k. Solar water pump N120k.

We are a very practical company you can grow as you earn. If you don't distribute it like that most people will kill their battery within 6mths and our hot climate will destroy inverters within 8months.

If you search online now you will see many second hand repaired inverters for sale being flooded back into the market to unsuspecting customers destroy the idea that your investment in solar makes sence.

so you can reach me 07063578028
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by timifakay(m): 12:43pm On Jul 23, 2016
Cargoed:
@john and tofakay
The reason I went for that high standard is because many people don't yet care of using energy efficient devices. so I throw at them excess power. Just like NEPA unfortunately NEPA cuts off any day any time. in my case you spend once that is it.

But you see customer side issues play a huge roll in implementing renewable energy.

My solution for the poor or very mobile clients is to give them distributed energy within their home.

So Solar freezer N150k. Solar Iron with 7bulbs N70k. Solar T.V N150k. Solar water pump N120k.

We are a very practical company you can grow as you earn. If you don't distribute it like that most people will kill their battery within 6mths and our hot climate will destroy inverters within 8months.

If you search online now you will see many second hand repaired inverters for sale being flooded back into the market to unsuspecting customers destroy the idea that your investment in solar makes sence.

so you can reach me 07063578028
Can you give me details of the set up with the water pump capability? My whatsapp number is on my signature if you don't wanna discuss it here. Thank you
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2016
Do you mean this?

iLoveTheSun:
Here is a 2 x 270 Watts(peak) off-grid garden project to power a waterpump (1000 W) and handtools to work.
QCells (Made in Europe) in series.
Batteries VRLA from Fiamm (Italian) 12 x 40 Ah(c10) = 480 Ah
Inverter (Danish/German) 1,6 kVA
Charger (Danish/German) 100 Volt, 15 Ampere
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:58am On Jul 24, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
@1kinggy: May I ask, where you are located?
This is John, residing outside of Nigeria, but I am eager to learn the regional environment, i.e. climate conditions, solar insulation, and to understand the market needs. I have access to a solar insulation simulation software. I've been in the solar business for the past 9 years in Europe. Hopefully, I can give you some advice.
Do you have more data on your batteries?

My personal advice: get high-quality solar modules. A 12 years product warranty, or 25 years performance warranty is nothing, if the manufacturer/importer goes bankrupt, that happened to most European manufacturers by the way.
For my first commercial solar installation (28 kWp), I chose the "cheapest" module available from a brand manufacturer: 160 Watts(peak) Sharp, but for my 2nd solar installation (24 kWp) I took US Sunpower with 305 Watts(peak) per module. Now, in Europe I only sell QCells (German), LG (Korean) and BenQ (Taiwan) with Sunpower cells. The biggest problems we had are with small manufacturers who simply disappeared from the market.
Good modules have an annual degradation of less than 0,5%. Bad modules

regards,
John
p.s. this is my very first post on nairaland. Don't know how I landed here, but this is quite an interesting thread!
Hello bro. pls how can I reach you. Its urgent.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 9:10am On Jul 24, 2016
[quote author=Cargoed post=47748534]@john quote us a 10kw/kva system what price in total. You will quickly see that it is people like you that is stopping the mass adoption of Renewable energy. I will suggest you generate and send to the grid instead as your tech, does not fit micro economics.

You can't make solar only for the very rich it defeats the purpose. And please don't reduce us to solar lamps. thks[
/quote]

10kw is different from 10kva.
Thanks
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 9:22am On Jul 24, 2016
Hello Experts,

I run a 24V 1.5kva Inverter with (2) Battery banks consisting of 4 units 12V 200AH batteries. I do use the inverter to charge both battery banks but heard from my installer that I should get an external charger as I could damage the Inverter.

Question

How true is the notion that I could damage my inverter due to long charging hours. i.e Same Inverter charges Bank 1 and Bank 2
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by iLoveTheSun(m): 11:53am On Jul 24, 2016
@guitarlife: send me a private message with your request.

@shamecurls: I did not know that an inverter can be used for both directions: DC in, AC out and AC in, DC out?

Anyway, I'd recommend a smart battery charger with three phase/stage charging and <20 Amp (less than 10% of AH value) It takes longer to charge, but you don't stress the battery and have a longer battery life (i.e. more cycles).
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 11:57am On Jul 24, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

@shamecurls: I did not know that an inverter can be used for both directions: DC in, AC out and AC in, DC out?

Anyway, I'd recommend a smart battery charger with three phase/stage charging and <20 Amp (less than 10% of AH value) It takes longer to charge, but you don't stress the battery and have a longer battery life (i.e. more cycles).

Thanks alot for the insight. But am I not in anyway stressing my inverter itself? We have light for 15 hrs every 2 days which can charge both banks optimally. So i guess I dont need a smart charger.

Thanks #Appreciate
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 24, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

Done bro.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by chris81964(m): 1:49am On Jul 25, 2016
shamecurls:
Hello Experts,

I run a 24V 1.5kva Inverter with (2) Battery banks consisting of 4 units 12V 200AH batteries. I do use the inverter to charge both battery banks but heard from my installer that I should get an external charger as I could damage the Inverter.

Question

How true is the notion that I could damage my inverter due to long charging hours. i.e Same Inverter charges Bank 1 and Bank 2

I guess the manufacturer of the inverter must know less than your installer. Why else did they put a charger in it? It is called an Inverter charger for a reason. He can come clean and tell you that he sold you suspect equipment and the only way to prolong it is to use an external charger. Outback, Victron, Magnum, Schneider Electric and SMA have Inverter chargers and they recommend that you charge your batteries with the inverter charger. In regards to the banks, the worse that could happen is an imbalance due to cable length, resistance and stuff like that.

4 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by chris81964(m): 1:51am On Jul 25, 2016
iLoveTheSun:

That is why they are called bidirectional inverters. They convert AC to DC and DC to AC.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by shamecurls(m): 8:59am On Jul 25, 2016
chris81964:

I guess the manufacturer of the inverter must know less than your installer. Why else did they put a charger in it? It is called an Inverter charger for a reason. He can come clean and tell you that he sold you suspect equipment and the only way to prolong it is to use an external charger. Outback, Vitron, Magnum, Schneider Electric and SMA have Inverter chargers and they recommend that you charge your batteries with the inverter charger. In regards to the banks, the worse that could happen is an imbalance due to cable length, resistance and stuff like that.

Thanks!

Very Informative

Appreciate!
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darediamond(m): 11:54pm On Jul 25, 2016
mukhcech:

Pls show us the picture of your setups. Thanks
I have th time today to show you my mini Solar Gen. As you can see in the shots, it is a small panel which I refuse to upgrade because I will soon Forget TOTOLLY ABOUT SOLAR GENERATOR LET ALONE THE ALL TIME USELESS GOVERMENTBSUPPLIED POWER VIA another useless vendor name P.H.C.N

The machine with which I am making my new Free Energy Coils is the Distinct fourth.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darediamond(m): 12:05am On Jul 26, 2016
olabakefish:

Can you please share the picture so that we can see it

I have just replied to a Thomas like you.
Find the reply.
I am advancing away from Solar to become totally indepent in Power Generation.
Attached is an Homemade Machine which fabricated myself and which is meant to make Special Concentrated Flux Electromagnetic Radiant Energy Producer.

Think differently to get Civilised Positively
The dynamical Nature Of Life Brigs about Positive Advancement To The Who Tuned Themselves To It.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 3:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
Advancing away from solar to concentrated electromagnetic flux? What a joke! U want to create a perpetual motion machine? cheesy grin grin grin grin
darediamond:

Find the reply.
Attached is an Homemade Machine which fabricated myself and which is meant to make Special Concentrated Flux Electromagnetic Radiant Energy Producer.

The dynamical Nature Of Life Brigs about Positive Advancement To The Who Tuned Themselves To It.

1 Like

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 3:02pm On Jul 30, 2016
Free energy coils?looool. What a nice wiring!
darediamond:

I have th time today to show you my mini Solar Gen. As you can see in the shots, it is a small panel which I refuse to upgrade because I will soon Forget TOTOLLY ABOUT SOLAR GENERATOR LET ALONE THE ALL TIME USELESS GOVERMENTBSUPPLIED POWER VIA another useless vendor name P.H.C.N

The machine with which I am making my new Free Energy Coils is the Distinct fourth.

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by ceaser: 3:45pm On Aug 01, 2016
DMerciful:
Free energy coils?looool. What a nice wiring!

Please let's not condemn or discourage him. To some extent, I think some conspiracy theories on power generation may actually be true - like killing the electric car years back in order to strengthen concentration on fossil fuels because of the returns. Battery tech was well developed back then to establish electric vehicles and some dudes had successful projects of theirs but decided to keep it underground. Years down the line, the government is right now strongly pushing the "never workable" concept of electric vehicles to move away from fossil fuels. Millions of Americans this year alone pre-ordered the new Tesla S all electric vehicle. Mercedes Benz has promised its own all electric full sized SUV to break the 500 mile per charge record.

Perpetual motion machine: Hmmm. Several theories have been proposed and a few is just logical. I give kudos to the poster because he has taken the gut to go that far in establishing the workability of that concept. If it works and if I were him, I'll likely keep it close to my chest for now.

I have though about doing some projects like such too, though with a different, more logical concept of "self-driving dynamo-motor arrangement" in which you use the left over power from the arrangement to your devices while the generator runs itself perpetually, at least until you stop it. I haven't had the time. Heck, I haven't even taken the simplest step of sourcing the materials yet even though I have the template already perfected and mapped out. That is why I give kudos to the poster for having gone this far. I will not mind him carrying me along honestly if he succeeds, not to steal his idea but it may encourage mw to start on my own quest.

OP, carry me along with your project, If you don't mind. But publicize it less because expectedly and rightly so, people express a lotta doubt about "free-energy concepts", so you can't make lotta disciples even when you have a working concept. It's the way the curriculum is programmed. So I don't blame anyone for expressing their doubts.

The system teaches you that energy is not destroyed, but converted from one form to another,yet they also contradictorily posit that you can NEVER attain a self-driving arrangement in machine even when backed with verified theories of physics.
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by graciousme(f): 3:59pm On Aug 01, 2016
Genetically modified crops in Nigeria? Have your say by participating in the survey below. Click on the link. It takes few minutes of your lovely day. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLvbgIbUnannWQCz01AW8FIVT1aq4JCba1ki6lQV84QAcKBQ/viewform?c=0&w=1
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by DMerciful(m): 11:36pm On Aug 01, 2016
Guy, a perpetual motion machine of the first kind is impossible. Do u see free energy in nature? Even the sun consumes its nuclear material to produce energy. Why not channel you energy to more productive venture? Don't mean to discourage anyone but perpetual motion is like saying there is not friction cos for a machine to work perpetually its moving parts must be 100% frictionless
ceaser:

Please let's not condemn or discourage him. To some extent, I think some conspiracy theories on power generation may actually be true - like killing the electric car years back in order to strengthen concentration on fossil fuels because of the returns. Battery tech was well developed back then to establish electric vehicles and some dudes had successful projects of theirs but decided to keep it underground. Years down the line, the government is right now strongly pushing the "never workable" concept of electric vehicles to move away from fossil fuels. Millions of Americans this year alone pre-ordered the new Tesla S all electric vehicle. Mercedes Benz has promised its own all electric full sized SUV to break the 500 mile per charge record.

Perpetual motion machine: Hmmm. Several theories have been proposed and a few is just logical. I give kudos to the poster because he has taken the gut to go that far in establishing the workability of that concept. If it works and if I were him, I'll likely keep it close to my chest for now.

I have though about doing some projects like such too, though with a different, more logical concept of "self-driving dynamo-motor arrangement" in which you use the left over power from the arrangement to your devices while the generator runs itself perpetually, at least until you stop it. I haven't had the time. Heck, I haven't even taken the simplest step of sourcing the materials yet even though I have the template already perfected and mapped out. That is why I give kudos to the poster for having gone this far. I will not mind him carrying me along honestly if he succeeds, not to steal his idea but it may encourage mw to start on my own quest.

OP, carry me along with your project, If you don't mind. But publicize it less because expectedly and rightly so, people express a lotta doubt about "free-energy concepts", so you can't make lotta disciples even when you have a working concept. It's the way the curriculum is programmed. So I don't blame anyone for expressing their doubts.

The system teaches you that energy is not destroyed, but converted from one form to another,yet they also contradictorily posit that you can NEVER attain a self-driving arrangement in machine even when backed with verified theories of physics.

2 Likes

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 8:53pm On Aug 07, 2016
Make your summer count
A bi-monthly interactive  and engaging training session for budding designers  and  technicians.
The course will take you through the ;
* Process of designing using Corel Draw and Photoshop software.
* Computer architecture ( Pc assembly,Troubleshooting, Repairs & Maintenance)
* Security & Surveillance Installation system (CCTV)
* Power generation using Renewable Energy (Power & Solar Inverter)

For more Info:

Mail: digitechsl@yahoo.com

Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by Yemmyteespeed007(m): 7:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
darediamond:

Find the reply.

GO ON BRO.!
ILL LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT IT
Re: Thread For Solar System/Electricity Owners in Nigeria. by darocha1: 12:55am On Aug 10, 2016
1.4kva Sukam Inverter for sale @ 35k
Working perfectly & ready for use.
Reason : Client bought it during his 1month stay in Nigeria & he us set to return to his base abroad.
call/whatsapp 0137539988
P/S
If you know so well about inverters, you will appreciate this product.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (29) (Reply)

Sloth Caught In My School Today / World’s Largest Crab That Feeds On Birds And Breaks Bones (Pictures) / Prepaid Meter Codes| How To Recharge & Check Balance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.