Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,228 members, 7,833,025 topics. Date: Sunday, 19 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War (1185 Views)

This Is What American Government/White House Said About Igbos During Civil War / Pictures Of Onitsha Before The Civil War / "They Tricked Us Into Fighting Igbos During Civil War" - Middle Belt Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by deflover(m): 10:18am On Jun 06, 2016
yesterday I had a confrontation from an igbo man and the topic was how Niger deltans betrayed the biafran struggle
I was in shock as the lies been told
ojukwu conquered Benin without a single shot fired and the need for a governor/administrator came..major banjo wanted a native from any of the conquered tribe while ojukwu rooted for a proper igbo man....for three days they argued till ojukwu throwing caution to the winds and appointed a certain okonkwo as governor/administrator of the midwest...this made our finest senior officers to revolt and our people began to feel they would be made slaves in their lands and this gave birth to the amphibian force that lead the federal troops through the creeks and that was how asaba and onitcha fell to the federal troops.
today we still has some igbos saying they don't need us
that's why if a break comes I think the Niger delta republic will be a better option for us.

please read the link to clear the air
we Niger deltans were betrayed by igbos and not the other way round..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest_Invasion_of_1967
Re: Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by Noneroone(m): 10:20am On Jun 06, 2016
Divide and rule thread keep off my pple!
Re: Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 06, 2016
its normal for some people to scream divide and rule.
yes it all started with crude oil, the minorities(especially ijaws) in the southsouth were shortchanged due to the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the Niger Delta areas which benefitted mainly from d Eastern region with capital in enugu.led by adaka boro they believed that the people of the area deserved a fairer share of proceeds of the oil wealth. He formed the Ijaw Volunteer Force , an armed militia with members consisting mainly of his fellow Ijaw ethnic group. They declared the Niger Delta Republic on February 23, 1966 and gallantly battled the aguiyi ironsi Federal forces for days but were finally routed Federal government. Boro was jailed for treason. However,Gowon granted him amnesty on the eve of the Nigerian civil war in May 1967.
he fought gallantly and helped in the chasing of Biafra forces out of the Niger Delta. even after the war,the minorities in the Niger Delta region declared IBO properties abandoned and they took control.

1 Like

Re: Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by calaway: 10:28am On Jun 06, 2016
There is so much love between the Niger delta and our Igbo brothers....it is the others we are weary of.
Re: Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by waxxydude: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2016
calaway:
There is so much love between the Niger delta and our Igbo brothers....it is the others we are weary of.
But you live in lagos? please speak for yourself & family.

I'm from the ND, i've lived in abuja currently in lagos, it's only when i come on here (nairaland) i see so many tribalistic bigot. My whole life I mixed with major tribes and i've lots as friends not just IGBOS.

Infact here feels like a different country/place entirely cause folks here seems to be eaten up by hate & resentment; something i hardly see in the real life!

1 Like

Re: Did The Niger Delta Betray Igbos During The Civil War by calaway: 10:56am On Jun 06, 2016
waxxydude:
But you live in lagos? please speak for yourself & family.

I'm from the ND, i've lived in abuja currently in lagos, it's only when i come on here (nairaland) i see so many tribalistic bigot. My whole life I mixed with major tribes and i've lots as friends not just IGBOS.

Your point is?
Infact here feels like a different country/place entirely cause folks here seems to be eaten up by hate & resentment; something i hardly see in the real life!

(1) (Reply)

Reuben Abati: Theresa May, Dino Melaye And The Leader’s Wife / Breaking News!!!..united States Payed 2 Billion Dollars For Turkey Coup / PHOTOS: US Consul General, F. John Bray Visits Pdp Candidate, Pastor Ize-iyamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.