Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,862 members, 7,817,547 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? (14954 Views)

Daily Pay Menial Jobs For Short Time Purpose / In Awka Anambra State, Need To Do Some Menial Jobs / Expatriates, Some Semi-skilled, Take Over Even Menial Jobs From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by mayordee(m): 12:04am On Sep 08, 2009
MrCrackles:

Are you mad?
Who told you i know about hustling? grin
U must be out of your pants and off your brain
grin ;!
I dont know about hustling but big ups to ya all who have to do it. . . . Its a different ball game for me no disrespect!

grin grin grin grin
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by ashington1: 12:51am On Sep 08, 2009
Dont waste your time looking for menial jobs in the UK for the following reasons,
1. Wolverhampton, the destination of choice is not exactly the buzzing commercial centre that London is.
2. Even the indigenous people cannot get menial jobs. The Polish and Romanians have got them!!!
3. People are looking for ways back to Nigeria to escape the desert-like arid conditions which best illustrates the UK jobs market. It is really dry

The UK is highly indebted/overtaxed society that provides a great illusion through the strength of its currency. But once on the ground things could not be clearer. However, don't take my word for it do your own research, check out [url]http://www.ashingtononline.com/ASHINGTON/Blog/Entries/2009/8/3_Here_is_something_to_think_about_for_those_of_you_in_the_diaspora, html[/url] and [url]http://www.ashingtononline.com/ASHINGTON/Blog/Entries/2009/8/24_Global_Downturn_speeds_up_Nigerias_Brain_Gain_(Yes%2C_Brain_Gain_not_Brain_Drain.).html[/url]

Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by 3doorsdown: 1:08am On Sep 08, 2009
Guys, I've not lived in UK but have spent many years in N. America. Over here, you have to have some sort of legal immigration status to even get a menial job. How come none of you have mentioned this to the poster, don't you have to have a legal status to get a menial job in UK? From my experience, this is even a bigger challenge than the amount he'll get paid doing the menial job.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by MT: 1:50am On Sep 08, 2009
ericko2k2 captured everything perfectly.

@poster, follow your heart.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by FBS: 7:38am On Sep 08, 2009
Miz4oxley August 26, 2009, 01:30 PM :
Hi nairalanders in the UK,I will like to know more about getting a job or menial job as a student in the UK, Or a preferred location where you can get a better one kindly reply this post.I hope to read your replies cheers,

Alikote:
hi guys am a civil servant in nijia having  like 900 k savings and my ride like 700k and some parental support got an admission for msc computer sci from the university of wolverhampton would you advice me to leave my permant pensionable federal govt job am still new 1 year  and am 28 yrs old for the u.k in the recession and lay off i watch on CNN in u.k,are job easily secured after graduation not menail jobs hoo!!

I also agree to the fact that staying at home is very good. You have your job, friends and family around you. No question of racism, where to sleep, what to eat etc but then, there is absolutely nothing wrong in enrolling for MSc and at your age you still have the energy to combine working and studying. Remember, it is for your own self advancement in life.
One question, for those saying that “it is not easy”, tell us one country where it is easy.
If you are determined, hard working and (like someone earlier said) you do believe in God, surely you can DO it.
From personal experience, yeah, you “may” find it rough but it is doable. I did it and graduated and see no reason why you or any other person cannot.
Agreed travelling to the UK for hols is good, question, will he not spend money for the trip? Mind you, it ain’t cheap.
A fellow already mentioned it here that the major thing is to organize your finances. And in fact I will only add that you already have your first year (and if possible for the whole period of study) tuition ready. That way, any extra cash you make doing “other” jobs goes directly into your pocket and if you are diligent and disciplined enough, you might even end up having some good savings. Again, I repeat, it is DOABLE. Forget the east Europeans et all, there is competition every where . . .even in the white house.

Yes, you may have to forget about using a car for sometime (you mentioned you have one) and maybe as well do without some other things we consider luxuries but the long term goal is what matters. In a couple of year’s time, you will be a Masters Degree holder. How sweet!!! Then you can tell your kids stories about how you did it. Believe it, yes you can do it.
Keep your mind open that there is no job awaiting you after you must have finished and except you enroll at some “5 star” Business school where the fees are way up there.
Some of us had it rough but we are thanking God today for everything He did, is doing and will do.

PS: Remember that no one else can make that decision for you but yourself. Good luck and God bless.

My 0.2 kobo
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by galatico(m): 9:18am On Sep 08, 2009
You guyz have said it all!!!
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by kadman(m): 9:24am On Sep 08, 2009
@ FBS thank you so much for driving all the points home,these people act like it's not English I'm writing.
Of course as a student it's not easy (it's still a lot better than being a student in Nigeria anyway),but an Msc is just a year,and after the degree it's worth it. One poster said how can he leave his job - hmm so he should stay at the same job for years on without trying to futher his education and advance his carrear ? I laugh because workers with foreign degree would come into that same company and would be promoted over him. It's not easy but as long one is focused. No one is telling him to move there to hustle e.t.c,but to futher his education. Simple.

1 Like

Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by Nobody: 9:49am On Sep 08, 2009
All I can say is Nothing good comes easy!!
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by Nezan(m): 10:53am On Sep 08, 2009
Like working in a morgue?
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by Beaf: 12:03pm On Sep 08, 2009
Menial job ke! shocked Winter will kill you (except you work as a carer. . . a no no).

If you must, then do menial work for a very brief period only, but it is best left to those without education; you can work in a bars, pubs or nite clubs to get by and get integrated. After that, you could seek admin work in the public sector.

You will need strength for your studies in the UK, it's not like 9ja; here they drain your blood with assignments, so you need to be smart about job selection.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by emmanuelb: 12:14pm On Sep 08, 2009
To the guy that wants manial jobs while studying, forget it. Bad planning.

Now, post here has been entirely pessimistic. I left Naija to do PG some 10 years ago. I am not a son of politicians etc. I was actually living on less than £1 a day. But with good grades was able to get assistantship to do PhD. I have since worked in several countries in about 3 continets. Now I am in the UK and when they say recession, I ask, what recession ?

My point is, to the guy that seem to have family support for his MSc Computer Science, I will say go for it; that is if you have full support as you will run into problems trying to do manial jobs and do an MSc at the same time.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by howfar2: 12:54pm On Sep 08, 2009
@emmanuelb

Ten years ago, a masters degree in an average UK school for international students was 3500pounds. 2007 it was 8950 pounds and 2010 fee is 9500pounds (Based on the Uni I went to in Leicester)

There is no way that you wont feel the recession either directly or indirectly. For Woolworth, Adams and the rest to have closed then forget about your say.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by DisGuy: 1:47pm On Sep 08, 2009
moved to jobs section

why do you want to work in the #Uk after you MSc Nigerian companies are paying millions
with little tax, fresh fish, family etc

smiley
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by busybody20: 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2009
MrCrackles:

Are you mad?
Who told you i know about hustling? grin
U must be out of your pants and off your brain!

I dont know about hustling but big ups to ya all who have to do it. . . . Its a different ball game for me no disrespect!

houchhhhhhh! It hurts

I cant help myself but laugh. . . . . . . grin grin grin
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by onijogbon(m): 4:30pm On Sep 08, 2009
@ remoranger and people who [b]made shots at [/b]me,you guys are the reason everything / everyone in Nigeria is half baked.

@ kadman, ol' boy u r full of shit o! you can dish out shit but you can't take it!

no be u first start the grammar correction galore or amnesia don catch u?

when somebody else come give u a taste of your own medicine, u come dey whine dey stereotype every naija person. . . ode buruku!

by the way olodo, the expression is to "take a shot at" (in this case, it will be took shot at me) and not "made shot at" like you stated. 

***hisses***

1 Like

Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by ayomidej(f): 4:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
I would say that you need to think carefully about it , its not that bad in the UK but jobs are limited.

There are more opportunties in Nigeria but it comes down to who you know and for the UK is by the favour of God.

Nigerians are still getting good jobs with Masters or not, it depends on which field you are in.

And hardly any naija does early morning in the UK. grin
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by kadman(m): 6:45pm On Sep 08, 2009
oníjògbòn:

@ kadman, ol' boy u r full of shit o! you can dish out shit but you can't take it!

when somebody else come give u a taste of your own medicine, u come dey whine dey stereotype every naija person. . . ode buruku!

by the way olodo, the expression is to "take a shot at" (in this case, it will be took shot at me) and not "made shot at" like you stated.

***hisses***

Guy,is that the best you could really come up with ? Made/ take shots ? Idoit ! Go to a corner and put your dunce cap on
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by kadman(m): 7:16pm On Sep 08, 2009
n
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by mayordee(m): 8:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
ayomidej:

I would say that you need to think carefully about it , its not that bad in the UK but jobs are limited.

There are more opportunties in Nigeria but it comes down to who you know and for the UK is by the favour of God.

Nigerians are still getting good jobs with Masters or not, it depends on which field you are in.

And hardly any naija does early morning in the UKgrin
grin grin, true yarns
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by erico2k2(m): 9:50am On Sep 09, 2009
@Mr crackles,
ahI thought you where a hustler,anyway thanks for putting me straight lol,
I remind us all to note that things aint that easy in the Uk,going to school and working at same time is a bad plan but if you got support then its a good idea to school here as there are better standards and life is full,but on the downsides, you will have to find out for yourself
@ Kadman, most people I know are selling thier houses after living here for 20 years to go invest in Nigeria as we speak Im in Nigeria now lol
Hustling and working in Nigeria is free for all,I wish I could say thesame for the developed countries, it aint free for all.I always tell people there are two boks abroad, the Old and new testerment,the New one is when you just got in and happy you got your VISA and its like you are going to Heaven, the Old one is when reality sets in and thats is usually in the region of 3-5 years in the Uk lol grin
@Mr Crackles,I know what to do to you just wait and see shocked shocked,
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by OluMike2: 1:09pm On Sep 09, 2009
Quote from: oníjògbòn on Yesterday at 04:30:42 PM

***hisses***

Guy,is that the best you could really come up with ? Made/ take shots ? Idoit ! Go to a corner and put your dunce cap on

@Kadman
Why are you now rattling, thought you are a professor of english. Yeye.

@erico2k2
Thank you. point made.
Nobody says anyone should not go to uk and study if u can afford it. but if you must resign your comfortable job, sell your properties and all put together not enough to pay your tuition and you have to hustle (doing menial jobs with limited time) to pay d tuition balance, accomodation and your feeding, You can do it if you want, but count your cost. look b4 you leap. we are only expressing the fact that its more difficult by d day. But then the choice is yours, if you are determined and rugged enough, please jump in. Eru o ba odo.
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by r231(m): 11:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
Dis Guy:

moved to jobs section

why do you want to work in the #Uk after you MSc Nigerian companies are paying millions
with little tax, fresh fish, family etc

smiley

true
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by Abatakan: 11:34am On Sep 10, 2009
Sometimes, we lose sight of the problem and resorts to insult, the guy asks for help in getting a menial job fair enough, l take it the guy is a new arrival in UK, the problem it`s looking for a menial job, Nigerians went for menial jobs thinking we will not get a job in the corporate world despite coming to UK armed with all the best qualification (for the uninitiated, when l left Naija, to get a course for UI or any Uni., averages 250 points out of 400 and yes Maths, English compulsory plus your 2 subjects specification) l`m sure most people here in UK will identify with me, it saddens that when you get on a bus in the morning and all you see is black faces.
The guy needs to survive hence the menial job question, but from my experience the higher you go the less he will be question (l`m thinking about papers)
Why London anyway ,God! Can`t believe l used to live in that town?
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by Biatide1: 11:54am On Sep 10, 2009
@ Olu-mike

True talk jare, Kadman is obviously one unintelligent day dreamer
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by erico2k2(m): 12:24am On Sep 11, 2009
London= Owa Owa grin grin grin
Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by otunbaneyo09(m): 7:54am On Apr 23, 2013
FBS:

I also agree to the fact that staying at home is very good. You have your job, friends and family around you. No question of racism, where to sleep, what to eat etc but then, there is absolutely nothing wrong in enrolling for MSc and at your age you still have the energy to combine working and studying. Remember, it is for your own self advancement in life.
One question, for those saying that “it is not easy”, tell us one country where it is easy.
If you are determined, hard working and (like someone earlier said) you do believe in God, surely you can DO it.
From personal experience, yeah, you “may” find it rough but it is doable. I did it and graduated and see no reason why you or any other person cannot.
Agreed travelling to the UK for hols is good, question, will he not spend money for the trip? Mind you, it ain’t cheap.
A fellow already mentioned it here that the major thing is to organize your finances. And in fact I will only add that you already have your first year (and if possible for the whole period of study) tuition ready. That way, any extra cash you make doing “other” jobs goes directly into your pocket and if you are diligent and disciplined enough, you might even end up having some good savings. Again, I repeat, it is DOABLE. Forget the east Europeans et all, there is competition every where . . .even in the white house.

Yes, you may have to forget about using a car for sometime (you mentioned you have one) and maybe as well do without some other things we consider luxuries but the long term goal is what matters. In a couple of year’s time, you will be a Masters Degree holder. How sweet!!! Then you can tell your kids stories about how you did it. Believe it, yes you can do it.
Keep your mind open that there is no job awaiting you after you must have finished and except you enroll at some “5 star” Business school where the fees are way up there.
Some of us had it rough but we are thanking God today for everything He did, is doing and will do.

PS: Remember that no one else can make that decision for you but yourself. Good luck and God bless.

You have said it all thanks.I have been trying to go on visting I wish I could work for atleast 3 months if God at my side .

My 0.2 kobo

Re: How To Get Menial Jobs In The Uk? by otunbaneyo09(m): 8:07am On Apr 23, 2013
FBS:

You have said it all thanks.I have been trying to go on visting I wish I could work for atleast 3 months if God at my side .

My 0.2 kobo

u have said it all .I'm trying get to dat place with visiting visa. how I wish I can work for at least 3 month if God be at my side ,I know it is illegal to work with visiting visa but will help me to secure one before my visa will expire. So can any one tell which area I can secure one menial job in UK? pleAse don't make jest of me please.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How A Nairalander Was Scammed By A "Nigerian Defense Academy Staff" / First Bank Is Recruiting Tellers!!!!!! / Employment Opportunity In Days Hotel Montreal Canada!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.