Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,001 members, 7,835,377 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816579 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2007
aksance:

peeps, anybody know anything new going on at dunlop?

just saw that the price rallied by 4.88% today. i've been interested in this stock because of its monopoly in the sector (with exit of michelin) however, its debt situation is terrible,

i'm just thinking, with
* the success of its public offer, raising N9.2bn rather than the projected N5.5bn (http://www.dunlopng.com/subscription.html)
* revenues from the new ASRT factory being reflected this year.

has dunlop turned the corner (i don't want to miss another wapco!! grin)??

Dunlop should turn corner next year. However, if the rail system is fixed, it will potentially affect the revenue.

Dunlop at 3.00 is a good stock.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aksance: 2:35pm On Aug 29, 2007
@easimoni
Standard Alliance = 3.47B
Sovereign Trust = 3.51B

easimoni, other gurus, i'm trying to profile insurance stocks.

abeg can you confirm the ff figures for total shares outstanding (post public offer and rights issues):

cornerstone 8.25
crusader 3.03
wapic 2.25
niger ins 4.66
aiico 5.00
unic 4.36
prestige 1.96
law union 5.23
lasaco 4.97

thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aksance: 2:36pm On Aug 29, 2007
wanaj0:

Dunlop should turn corner next year. However, if the rail system is fixed, it will potentially affect the revenue.

Dunlop at 3.00 is a good stock.

thanx
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:10pm On Aug 29, 2007
askance,
of the insurance companies you quoted, here are the ones I have info about.

Company Shares (B)
Cornerstone 5.06
crusader 3.256
wapic 4.23
niger ins 3.951
unic 2.582
prestige 1.72
law union 3.074
lasaco 7.407
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aksance: 5:18pm On Aug 29, 2007
@easimoni
thanx. the nos are so different!! shocked

find attached how i came about my figures. note:
* i assumed that all the figures posted on the NSE website are pre-public offer figures.
* i factored the subscription rate of the POs in my calc

maybe that is where the difference lie.

pls can we compare notes - as in how you came about the figures?

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:48pm On Aug 29, 2007
askance, on the NSE website, some alloted shares are already listed so you can't add them again. e.g Cornerstone.

But it is a mess and some of my numbers are based of MD speeches and the like. The whole sector is a mess.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jungle700: 8:25pm On Aug 29, 2007
Hi Guys,

I heard Sterling Bank is coming to the market to raise about N100b. Is this a good time to buy into the company? I am in for the short term. The share price is currently trading around N8.2. Pls advice as I am planning to call my broker tomorrow. I am looking for at least 25% increase, i hope am not being too greedy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:10pm On Aug 29, 2007
jungle700:

Hi Guys,

I heard Sterling Bank is coming to the market to raise about N100b. Is this a good time to buy into the company? I am in for the short term. The share price is currently trading around N8.2. Please advice as I am planning to call my broker tomorrow. I am looking for at least 25% increase, i hope am not being too greedy.

whats your investment time frame? if close to or more than 6 months, you might be on the right track, interesting things lurking around on this stock.

you have to know when to get out, and even tho i see the rationale, there's a risk because sterling will rise on other forces rather than fundamentals,
proposed share reconstruction should also boost the value of the shares
i bought some sterling bank earlier tho, when they were much cheaper, and i am still holding,

if u time your purchase well, you might get sterling at less than 8 naira tho
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 9:56pm On Aug 29, 2007
@Temie,
Pls can you tell me in clear term if i should call to purchase mbenefit and C$ I now. Remmember i also sent you a mail which you never replied.Teejay(Qaishat@yahoo)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Okiki: 11:02pm On Aug 29, 2007
@Easimoni, @Temmie10
Bought some crusader at lower price at the beggining of the month when the price was falling before they release the interim result. But I'm begining to think about why the interim result was soo good. If you remember as stated in their website[ http://www.crusaderplconline.com/about.htm], they acquire about 4 insurance companies.

My question is whether the merger/acquisition will have any effect on the shares outstanding I remembered that UBA made some acquisitions without any impact on the shares outstanding.

I hope is the same for crusader. Wapic will be a very good buy at 5 naira, it is the best insurance for me, trust what Erastus can do. They have started opening new branches all over the places and also in Ghana. For MBenefit, I was encouraged by the profiles of their directors and it aid my decision for the stock
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 29, 2007
COMPARE the following stocks

Security Price Projected PAT Projected EPS(k) Projected PE
Zenith 41.33 26,500,000,000 18.06 228.81
Intercontinental 23.50 23,285,730,160 19.09 123.09
GTbank 28.32 19,000,000,000 20.64 137.18
Oceanic 2860 18,500,000,000 18.00 158.91

Source: IBTC ASSET MGT

I think for the medium term, Zenith should be a good stock to invest in since their public offer will not likely be this year.
Opinions are welcomed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rdokoye: 1:55am On Aug 30, 2007
for all your stock marketing needs:

http://www.insightempire.com/stockmarket.htm
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 8:35am On Aug 30, 2007
@okiki
Crusader listed their extra shares in May. Nothing was said about adding extra shares via the acquisitions.
I will however check to see if i can find anything

@ Emma
those numbers you posted look a bit weird, and i dun mean that as an insult or anything. projected pe for zenith is 228?
pls can you give us a link to the report?

@chokit
i just sent u an email
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:24am On Aug 30, 2007
Temmie10:

@okiki
Crusader listed their extra shares in May. Nothing was said about adding extra shares via the acquisitions.
I will however check to see if i can find anything

@ Emma
those numbers you posted look a bit weird, and i dun mean that as an insult or anything. projected pe for zenith is 228?
please can you give us a link to the report?

@chokit
i just sent u an email

Crusader listed shares from the public offer. However, once the merger is completed, they will have to issue new shares to the owners of the merging partners thus increasing the number of outstanding shares. That's why calculations of PE and EPS are so difficult when you don't have the FULL information.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:51am On Aug 30, 2007
The story of the NSE

obviously eps and pe calculations are difficult cause to get an audited result takes like forever.
And when u do get it, u'll need mo answers to your mo questions, all u need to do is look at access' audited reports
if and when you do get the answers, the cat has moved, the market has acted and you may not be able to take advantage of your total due diligence.

this is naija and as u know, our problem is information disparity especially regarding our market.
Most companies release half year unaudited result for june in august, audited only comes next year at the time of the company's choosing.

we cannot make 100% calculations or predictions then but the best i feel is to act even with the incomplete information, take a calculated risk and still profit. we can at least say with some level of clarity, which company's figures look more attractive within the realms of available information., afterall thats why we share views, not that we have the fuller image but we complete our views to the best of our abilities

i am not saying its wrong to get audited reports, i am just highlighting the flaws in our system.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oluoginni: 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2007
who knows what is happening to first bank since it was marked down for bonus and dividend it has been on a downward spiral
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 2:52pm On Aug 30, 2007
Temmie10:

The story of the NSE

obviously eps and pe calculations are difficult cause to get an audited result takes like forever.
And when u do get it, u'll need mo answers to your mo questions, all u need to do is look at access' audited reports
if and when you do get the answers, the cat has moved, the market has acted and you may not be able to take advantage of your total due diligence.

this is naija and as u know, our problem is information disparity especially regarding our market.
Most companies release half year unaudited result for june in august, audited only comes next year at the time of the company's choosing.

we cannot make 100% calculations or predictions then but the best i feel is to act even with the incomplete information, take a calculated risk and still profit. we can at least say with some level of clarity, which company's figures look more attractive within the realms of available information., afterall thats why we share views, not that we have the fuller image but we complete our views to the best of our abilities

i am not saying its wrong to get audited reports, i am just highlighting the flaws in our system.
temmie10, very well said.
whatever the case may be with crusader and the acquired coys., i know it is one of the power houses of the insurance sector. will stick with it, what u think
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 3:03pm On Aug 30, 2007
jehosaphat:

@ All the gurus in the House
We are missing frankiriri, dollypcute, windywendy and others, abi because them don get investment club them don dey shun person grin grin grin

Not so o my brother, I've not joined any investment club oh, and I no dey shun person. Windywendy just had a baby -- a lovely little girl, with oh so cute and kissable pink little feet -- and has been a very busy new momĀ  smiley smiley But from time to time sha, I'll find time to post . . .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 3:09pm On Aug 30, 2007
windywendy, congratulations on ur bundle of joy, may she give u all the happiness ur heart can desire grin grin grin
pls post often cos ur opinions r always very much appreciated grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by fineass: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2007
Congratulations Windywendy. grin Guys where is the crystal Ball man Bigboylary aint heard(His posts) frm him in a while too.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:52pm On Aug 30, 2007
Wendy, congrats!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dwonder(m): 4:03pm On Aug 30, 2007
CHECK OUT DETAILS @

http://dwonder..com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 4:14pm On Aug 30, 2007
@windywendy,

Congrats on your bouncing babe girl we go drink champeooooo!!!!!!!!!

@ Tmoni,
i beg no vex text me we need to hook up,lost my phone got back the sim .

@ ALL,

NICE JOB. cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 4:16pm On Aug 30, 2007
@wendy
congrats o

@shigidi
when i turn my back on any of the stocks i have commended, you will be the first to know,
For now, i dey kampe, grin
Crusader's net profit ratio and turnover growth rate still remains very healthy.
Though for this period, i would recommend you have some small cash available, some stocks will get even more attractive, lets jus say, cash is not trash for now, i feel patience will even lead to better deals in the coming days.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pinokio(m): 4:22pm On Aug 30, 2007
how about unity bank shares?, i'm stuck with them and they seem 2 be going no where, should i sell and then buy sterling bank, or wait and pray for sunshine?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2007
Congratulations on the new arrival and all the best with motherhood.
We missed your incisive posts and once more accept my congratulations.
When we go wet the baby`s head like oyinbo man dey say on nairaland?.-)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 4:34pm On Aug 30, 2007
pinokio:

how about unity bank shares?, i'm stuck with them and they seem 2 be going no where, should i sell and then buy sterling bank, or wait and pray for sunshine?

what price did u buy?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akangbee(m): 5:01pm On Aug 30, 2007
@windywendy
Congrats ! congrats!! congrats!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akangbee(m): 5:07pm On Aug 30, 2007
@windywendy
Congrats ! congrats!! congrats!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 30, 2007
Posted by: bug79x
don't mean to be rude though ,
lets try and avoid including any company's name, to a wrong report, don't think its fair.
ibtc stock report 28th august
to find thid this go to ibtc website, click on asset management &stock brokering, then scroll down and click on research (highlighted in blue), look at the right corner of that page while scrolling down ,click on the item ibtc stock select report 28th augustand alllow to download,

Click Link here
http://www.wikifortio.com/228376/IBTC_STOCKSELECT++28_August_2007.xls

Scroll to the projected earnings, PAT and PEO Ratio

Dont jump to conclusions and need your replies.

Wrongly placing the PAT, PE Ratio and EPS doesn't mean it is wrong.

Need an apology

Take care Temmie10 and Bug79x
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 30, 2007
Thanks.
Hope no problem again Ba!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 7:32pm On Aug 30, 2007
@ fineass,

Congratulations Windywendy. Guys where is the crystal Ball man Bigboylary aint heard(His posts) from him in a while too.

MY CRYSTAL BALL HAS TAKING ME TO STUDY THE ABUJACOMEX, it will return full force shortly just take a look am unfolding the new way of money making stocks info in Naija after gains and burns of NSE. cool cool cool

AS I OPEN MY CRYSTALL BALL I SEE BEFORE ME ANOTHER WAY TO MONEY MAKING:
Trading will commence soon and i think this is another avenue we should look into to add to our stocks portfolios, the on line trading will soon begin i have join in the train so why not, So far, the exchange has traded a cumulative value of about N40 million in 2,112 contracts since its inception in July 2006,I love my fatherland GOD BLESS NAIJA.

THE ABUJA SECURITIES & COMMODITY EXCHANGE (ASCE)
( www.abujacomex.com )

The Abuja Securities & Commodity Exchange(ASCE) was originally incorporated as a Stock Exchange on June 17, 1998. It commenced electronic trading in securities in May 2001 and was converted to a commodity Exchange on August 8, 2001 and brought under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Commerce. The conversion was premised on the need for an alternative institutional arrangement that would manage the effect of price fluctuations in the marketing of agricultural produce which has adversely affected the earnings of farmers since the abolishment of commodity Boards in 1986. Attempts to establish a Commodity Exchange and Futures market in the country dates back to 1989 when an Inter-Ministerial Technical Committee was set up at the behest of the Central Bank of Nigeria to look into how a Futures Exchange for agricultural commodities could be established to address frontally the agro-commodity marketing problems.

The Exchange will be of immense benefits to farmers, agro-commodity processors and merchants, as it will serve as a veritable platform for them to mitigate the inherent risks in agricultural production and marketing. The enlarged market for agricultural produce, which the ASCE will engender, shall promote commercial farming and the growth of the agricultural sector. The Exchange will start operations in spot and forward markets and gradually introduce trading in warehouse receipts and eventually evolve into a futures market trading commodity futures and options. It will trade contracts in agricultural produce, solid mineral products, energy, financial indices and currencies. The Exchange will commence spot trading on agricultural commodity contracts in July 2006 and later in the year launch spot trading on solid mineral contracts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.