Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,199 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815817 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:52pm On Sep 04, 2007
@ temmie10,easimoni, WAPCO is another great one. lowest pe ratio in the building sector by far. lowest projected pe ratio too. eps of 4.7 is forecasted
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:59pm On Sep 04, 2007
Wapco is like the classic value stock, its had good indicators all year but it has remained at the same level,
its a good stock but by no means, short term
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 3:52pm On Sep 04, 2007
Temmie10:

Wapco is like the classic value stock, its had good indicators all year but it has remained at the same level,
its a good stock but by no means, short term

Check where WAPCo was some 24 months ago and you will appreciate how much it has moved. Yes it rose to 80.00 level this year because of bonus expectation. Now it is fairly valued. Compared with its peers it is relatively cheap.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2007
between 24 months ago and now, almost every stock on that exchange looks like a champion, 98% of all insurance companies have outperformed wapco easily in that period, almost all banks too have outperformed wapco in that period

Wapco is still cheap, just not short term,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2007
Quote from: alliednetw on Yesterday at 06:16:12 PM
Their is no point being defeatist about DANGOTE IPO.You may be surprised to get full allotment.I suspect where you buy may influence level of allotment.
Buying from a Stockbroker to the offer seems to give an edge,if that particular firm does not oversale

Once you buy above 30,000 units for Dangote Flour, expect part of your money to be returned. The hype will make it over subscribed. They are also going for preferential allottment

The info out there leaves no room for surprises. It is said that 60% of the public offer of 1.25 billion shares of Dangote Flour Mill IPO is going to be preferentially allotted to identified investors, probably Dangote's friends. So what's actually being offered publicly is 5OO million shares. With the hype and hope that this IPO will be as successful as it's predecessor from Dangote Group, over subscription seems inevitable. Being cautious to apply for a modest number of units is the way to go.

Let me give you a little food for thought: if there were only 25 thousand people wanting 20,000 units of those shares, that is all the number required to guzzle the public offer. With this offer giving off aroma like something from a bakery you can be sure that people are going to flock in hoping for a big bite. But the thing is, Dangote isn't offering much. From the readings I've done, it seems the offer is only a prerequisite for the business tycoon to achieve his desire to be listed on the Nigerian stock exchange.
I recommend individuals buying no more than 10-15k units. If you want more, consider applying with partners like spouses, friends, brethren and sisters etc.
Just an advice.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2007
Temmie10:

between 24 months ago and now, almost every stock on that exchange looks like a champion, 98% of all insurance companies have outperformed wapco easily in that period, almost all banks too have outperformed wapco in that period

Wapco is still cheap, just not short term,

When WAPCO was coming out of debt last year, it was THE champion. I bought at N18, sold at N70. Bought back in at N65 (in April) and I've been sulking since. It's a solid company but seems to be facing pedestrian profit growth due to increased competition and power concerns (the MD was in the news saying NEPA cost them ~N1B in profits over the 1st 6 months).

It has good value and shouldn't fall far but I think it's days of being a champion are behind it, even if they solve the power problems.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2007
Anyone with the Nahco and dangote flour mills prospectus kindly forward to my email address or provide a link here.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 9:35pm On Sep 04, 2007
MEEEN
The bears are slowly sliding home and the bulls gradually slapping in.Seems we are going to have a market turnaround sooner than expected.

MY EYES ON DN MEYER
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 9:53pm On Sep 04, 2007
hA hA hA Transcorp is on a downward spirallllllllll!
When will this end?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:24pm On Sep 04, 2007
alliednetw:

hA hA hA Transcorp is on a downward spirallllllllll!
When will this end?

Last time they lifted the suspension, it dropped 5% a day to 7.40 until they "re-suspended " to 9.71. My bet is on N5 this time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by abocana: 10:51pm On Sep 04, 2007
sup!dude, I will like to know when Nahco will be out till when, how can i download the form?

Is it gonna be a good buy?

Kindly let me know,please.

Thanks guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 8:49am On Sep 05, 2007
easimoni:

When WAPCO was coming out of debt last year, it was THE champion. I bought at N18, sold at N70. Bought back in at N65 (in April) and I've been sulking since. It's a solid company but seems to be facing pedestrian profit growth due to increased competition and power concerns (the MD was in the news saying NEPA cost them ~N1B in profits over the 1st 6 months).

It has good value and shouldn't fall far but I think it's days of being a champion are behind it, even if they solve the power problems.

WAPCO did a right at less than 10.00 about 2 years ago and went as high as 80.00. Only NAHCO and to some extent BCC has had such crazy returns within that time frame.

As per those that bought when it was high, too bad.

Fundamentals still support WAPCO doing well going forward. Price drop was due to the poor dividend policy. Well, they wanted to pay off some debt. As usual, the shareholders expected a bonus which the company did not give hence the company was punished for it.

They do have problems with energy (not necessarily power) due to the gas supply disruptions. This affected turnover.

The upside for WAPCO is that the plants were just refurbished, they have restructured their debts, they are on a cheap source of energy (gas) and they have a good management. They are the only company in the sector that is not witnessing a drop in profit. The PE also look attractive. I will wait till November to buy anyway.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by senetee(m): 10:22am On Sep 05, 2007
Kudos to all contributors to this thread. Gd bless y' all
@wanaj0 why are you picking November as the investment time for WAPCO? Please enlighten me. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by marjson(m): 3:09pm On Sep 05, 2007
wanna ask that is international breweries i.p.o a best buy, somebody pls tell me
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kabirat(f): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2007
:Dguys,

Transcorp finally released their certificates.

I hope this would be an upward turn for them

grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2007
I am starting to have a change of mind,
It seems Transcorp will do well afterall

WHY?

They have the most optimistic shareholders ever!
Even when there is no good news, they will create one!

If this freefall continues, i will consider entering at a relatively safe price,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:16pm On Sep 05, 2007
I think if the shares can go as low as 3-5 Naira, it may (operative word) be a good time to take a long term position, but I am not a believer yet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by realdosh: 7:46pm On Sep 05, 2007
please someone tell me where and how i can buy stocks that are privately placed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 10:42pm On Sep 05, 2007
@ ALL,

SUMMARRY ON THE OUTLOOK OF DANGOTE FLOURS:

Opening date----- 6th september 2007

Closing date----------27th september 2007

Offer price---------- #15.00 per share

Shares on offer----- 1.25bn ord shares of 50k each

Offer size---------#18,750,000,000.00

Minimun offer--------- 1000 units

Market cap (post offer)----------#75,000,000,000.00

Forecast EPS(2008)-----------#1.49

Forecast DPS(2008)---------#1.20

Forecast PE Ration (2008)------------ 10.09

Forecast ROE (2008)--------------31.5%

So what do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by marjson(m): 10:23am On Sep 06, 2007
grin IF I NO BUY THIS DANGOTE FLOUR THAT MEANS SAY THE WORLD DON DEY DO ME BE THAT, cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by question(m): 12:59pm On Sep 06, 2007
Zenith registrars are still holding my Dangote Sugar share certificate and dividend warrant of 2006 IPO.
Is this happening to anyone else?
Can someone help me out on how to get in touch with them - (email or phone number).
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:32pm On Sep 06, 2007
looks solid to me. forecast eps of 1.5 this should double in the next six months then another solid one from aliko himself.
that is of course if these forecasts are met.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chukkie(m): 1:44pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ question, the contact info 4 zenith registrar is

Zenith Registrars Limited
1, Prince Ade Odedina Street
Victoria Island Extension
Lagos, Nigeria

Tel: 234-1-2708930-4

E-mail: enquiry@zenithregistrars.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:08pm On Sep 06, 2007
@All

Have you noticed that for for the past 3 days, almost all insurance companies have been clocking 5% upwards, some like cornerstone has gone 5% for 5 days,

I suspect that those recapitalization funds will be released soon,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 2:31pm On Sep 06, 2007
Temmie10
Have you seen the Dangote prospectus? please lets know whats your 2 cent on it
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:33pm On Sep 06, 2007
@Shigidi, stanchuks n all

Dangote's Flour should do well, especially with scarcity and sentiment on its side
However, it is not fantastic when we consider the fundamentals.
The current eps is 0.55 which means if it was on the floor, it would trade at a fair price of 11-13.3 naira (pe of 20-24).
So it is not being offered at a discount to its current value (today's value), rather at a premium, maybe thats why sec had issues with pricing initially, who knows?
If a company trading at 12 naira wanted to come to market at 15 naira, would you buy? grin

However the 3 naira premium is for projected eps of 1.49, the aliko dangote name, scarcity, retained profits (07) and speculator rush amid a huge chance of oversubscription so it should do well.

here's the link to prospectus: http://www.zenithsecuritiesng.com/admin/upload/Dangote%20Flour%20Mills%20Plc%20IPO%20Prospectus.pdf
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:05pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ Temmie, Shig et al,

Actually, Dang Sugar Trailing EPS is only 42K and at the offer price, that's a trailing PE of 35.7 In today's market, this stock is worth N10 at best. 55k EPS is for FY 2007. Aliko is squeezing us this time! No wonder the NSE didn't want the offer at N15.

Buy this company only if you are willing to hold till 2009 at the earliest. That's when the EPS (FY 2008) will have adjusted to N1.50 and the investment will start to make sense.

Don't buy on sentiment o! And don't borrow money.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 3:13pm On Sep 06, 2007
@ All
@ Easimoni,

Share reconstruction:When is it better to buy?Before or after the reconstruction.
How long does it take a certificate to be issued when u buy during a private palcement
Any info on international brew yet?

How long does it take a certificate to be issued when u buy during a private palcement

i mean union diagonistic and clinical services

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 3:31pm On Sep 06, 2007
@all
union diagnostic prospectus is here: http://cashcraft.com/uniondiagnosticpropectus.pdf

@enurayce
the gist is that union diagnostic will be listed before the end of this year.
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=87957

When will u get the certs?, depends on the company, you can ask your broker

And about share construction,
As long as its you are in a good position i.e. you buy at a bargain, pre or post reconstruction, you will profit, if you are in a bad position (buy at an overvalued price), then you can lose either way too
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 3:42pm On Sep 06, 2007
@temmie10, ure right, there seems to be an unexplained boom nin the insurance sector cos there are no fundamentals to support this.
personally, i wanted to wait till christmas b4 taking position in mbenefits and putting more in crusader,
do u think thats a good time to wait cos im not sure this bull run is gonna last
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 06, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 3:55pm On Sep 06, 2007
shigidi:

@temmie10, ure right, there seems to be an unexplained boom nin the insurance sector because there are no fundamentals to support this.
personally, i wanted to wait till christmas before taking position in mbenefits and putting more in crusader,
do u think thats a good time to wait because im not sure this bull run is going to last

To give you a fully fledged answer would be tantamount to predicting the future grin grin grin
In any case, year ends for most insurance companies in march so now is actually a good time to take position (6 months).
MBenefits should be paying some interim dividends now or december, can't remember.

Right now its risky tho because i am not sure whats happening exactly,
market is hard to call in very short terms, its been depressed for about a month and those are the times when buy decisions are easiest and most obvious as far as i am concerned but people dun see it that way, when they start moving up, buy becomes a more difficult decision

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.