Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,957 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (79) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (813180 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 10:15pm On Sep 13, 2007
I heard a rumour of union bank giving bonus of 3:1. Gurus in da house plz confirm.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 10:22pm On Sep 13, 2007
@akin
an aggressive company is also a more risky company. I am not asking you to shun aggressive companies, rather i am asking you to understand the risk fully, that way u are prepared for whatever outcome. I would.

I have been hearing rumour of union bank for a while, one fellow even said they are merging with gtb. We have not heard anything from the bank itself but it is not impossible that union bank give a bonus especially with their miserly performance in recent years

@all
One sure sign of an overvalued market is one with lots of rash low quality public offers. Yes! low quality offers and that is what we have in the market right now.
These offers need the market to remain hugely bullish to justify a good performance. INtl breweries has not paid any dividend over the last 5 years and they dun expect to pay any in the next 3 even by their own ambitious forecasts, and the offer is overpriced jus like the other ones in the market currently

Be careful what you buy at this time.
Having said that, Cornerstone is back on my buy list. Its not 3 months tho but its very promising.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 10:57pm On Sep 13, 2007
union bank to merge with GTB, disaster!?!?! shocked GTB is pure quality!

Nevertheless, one begins to wonder why the shares of Wema Bank PLC have been in an up trend since January 2007 if they were no financial statements made available to the market? How have investors been able to determine the credit worthiness and sustainability of the bank if there were no financials to rely on? I have spoken to several investors lately who claim to be fundamental traders. If this is the case, how can these fundamental traders explain why the shares of a bank that has not released any financials statements in the last 2 years is moving. . .
proshare

they should make this illegal as well!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:25am On Sep 14, 2007
Dis Guy:

they should make this illegal as well!

True That!
enurayce:

@Temmie 10 and easimoni,

Whats your top 5 insurance stocks and what do u think of Accenis(Accen insurance)
In no particular order; Mutual Benefits, Crusader, Standard Alliance, Wapic and Niger.

I have no info on Acen. It seems to have been on suspension for a long time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by forexgiude: 7:15am On Sep 14, 2007
as for insurance:

i would list nem, crusader, prestige.

about acen:

merger btw: nem + acen insur + vigilant insur= resultant company nem insurance

nem insurance ,which is my number 1 pick on the insurance stock to buy .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:25am On Sep 14, 2007
forexgiude:

as for insurance:

i would list nem, crusader, prestige.

about acen:

merger between: nem + acen insur + vigilant insur= resultant company nem insurance

nem insurance ,which is my number 1 pick on the insurance stock to buy .

Acen was not part of the merger. Only NEM and Vigilante merged.

Though the (new) NEM quarterly result was impressive. I will be wary until all figures as per success of the rights issue, share exchange for Vigilante is out.

For now, the information available on insurance companies are so scanty and unreliable that it is difficult to make reasonable deductions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:28am On Sep 14, 2007
I hope people just know how useless most of the offers are. Even with the ambitious profit forecast, can't see the attraction. Most are getting carried away that any offer/placement will always turnout good. It was not like that before in Nigeria and it will not continue to be like that. Before, after an offer, prices actually come down because of the increase in outstanding share.

The margin facility being granted by banks is distorting the market. The pension funds with the dearth of where to invest is also distorting the market. The reality is that SOON things will shape up. All those buying 'useless' stocks will surely get their fingers burnt. Then people will know that you don't forever have a BULLISH run!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by UDK(m): 8:02am On Sep 14, 2007
Guys, you have all been doing a great job! Cant quantify how much positive influence  your different analysis have influenced my investment decisions, pls keep it up. First am I right in assuming that trading on access bank will resume say 12th sept, i.e. two wks after closure the PO. Secondly in my portfolio I have 50K units of Access I bought in March @11.05 naira and during d PO I did not have spare cash and had to borrow to buy 70K units with d mind of selling my old stock to pay my loan within two months so my question is what will be a good price to sell when trading resumes? (I am looking at 25naira). Lastly I have 50040 units of Dangote sugar of which my broker (Leads Capital)has dropped my certificate with d registrar for verification since Aug 8th and yet d verification is still pending. Does it take this long to verify certificates? Thanks once more!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 9:35am On Sep 14, 2007
@UDk, nice question,

what price do u guys ACCESS would climax at, if N25
i did not buy the PO, was not just feeling it,

when is the closure of union diagnostics offer and GTA
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by UDK(m): 10:01am On Sep 14, 2007
@Tmoni

Union diagnostics offer closes today.

I bought into the Globe Reinsurrance PP would want to know if anyone knows when they will be listed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iyken(m): 10:17am On Sep 14, 2007
Globe RE has been slated to hit the market next Month (all things being equal), same goes for the long awaited IGI.
Lets watch and Pray this happens.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enolase(m): 10:59am On Sep 14, 2007
Given the court injunction obtained by Barr. Jimoh Ibrahim preventing NAICOM from carrying out a re-certfication of NICON Insurance and Nigerian Re-insurance (which has a substantial stake in Globe Re-), it may be wise to actually carry out a check to know how the whole affair will affect Globe Re-Insurance, viz-a-viz listing, etc.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 12:02pm On Sep 14, 2007
Whats up guys, I've noticed the NSE website says closed and reflects yesterday's date. . . Is there no trading today? or is there a public holiday today
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 12:04pm On Sep 14, 2007
Wonderful!!! grin grin grin

Throughout today, its been saying Closed, and at 12:11pm i decided to try again, and it now say open. . . NNNAAAIIIIJJJJAAAAA!!!!!! grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:21pm On Sep 14, 2007
@ wanajo, pls do u have any info about boc gases and university press limited they seem to have low pes.
and what is ur forecast on beta glass?
reply will be much appreciated.
thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:18pm On Sep 14, 2007
UDK:

Guys, you have all been doing a great job! Cant quantify how much positive influence your different analysis have influenced my investment decisions, please keep it up. First am I right in assuming that trading on access bank will resume say 12th sept, i.e. two wks after closure the PO. Secondly in my portfolio I have 50K units of Access I bought in March @11.05 naira and during d PO I did not have spare cash and had to borrow to buy 70K units with d mind of selling my old stock to pay my loan within two months so my question is what will be a good price to sell when trading resumes? (I am looking at 25naira). Lastly I have 50040 units of Dangote sugar of which my broker (Leads Capital)has dropped my certificate with d registrar for verification since Aug 8th and yet d verification is still pending. Does it take this long to verify certificates? Thanks once more!

You'll have to watch trading carefully to know when the buying momentum ends. I expect it'll get to 25 but it could easily do 30 based on the amount of time it's been on net bid in the secondary market. Once it does not gain 5% on a trading day, you know the momentum is over.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 3:31pm On Sep 14, 2007
we are patiently waitng for it to hit its peak,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:35pm On Sep 14, 2007
easimoni,

I was looking at your insurance spreadsheet again, I am trying to understand the how to compare the current PE and projected PE.

Some of the companies has reduced projected PE while some have increased projected PE, what does this mean ? is that the stock becomes cheaper at a future date or more expensive at the future date.

I have done the ratios for a few companies, but I cant seem to intepret the ratios to determine a good buy or the best price to take a position - kindy provide more insight.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 3:53pm On Sep 14, 2007
Just checked Nigerian Bottling website. They are proposing a 1:2 bonus issue. NICE!!!!!!!!!
s

Sorry I thought I was on the Nigerian site but I was wrong, wishful thinking on part
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:56pm On Sep 14, 2007
NBCThe price will hit the roof. 1 for 2,

I wish I had funds to buy some, those are shares for keeps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:58pm On Sep 14, 2007
duplicate oops
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:17pm On Sep 14, 2007
shigidi:

@ wanajo, please do u have any info about boc gases and university press limited they seem to have low pes.
and what is your forecast on beta glass?
reply will be much appreciated.
thanks

Well, depending on your definition of low PE.

BOC was facing serious competition hence decline in profitability. However, they're consistent in paying dividends/bonus. From the interim result, they seem to be doing far better this current financial year. The year end is September and the result should be out next year January/February.

ON UPL, good stock. Not liquid. Flunctuating results depending on government intervention in education. They got huge contract from ETF at a point. Steady growth is expected. The rights issue may have distorted the EPS and PE a bit. Fundamentally sound company though.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 4:21pm On Sep 14, 2007
akininNC:

Just checked Nigerian Bottling website. They are proposing a 1:2 bonus issue. NICE!!!!!!!!!

For which year? That cannot be true!!!!!!!!! Cehck your facts very well!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:58pm On Sep 14, 2007
yodiyokun:

easimoni,

I was looking at your insurance spreadsheet again, I am trying to understand the how to compare the current PE and projected PE.

Some of the companies has reduced projected PE while some have increased projected PE, what does this mean ? is that the stock becomes cheaper at a future date or more expensive at the future date.

I have done the ratios for a few companies, but I can't seem to intepret the ratios to determine a good buy or the best price to take a position - kindy provide more insight.

The current PEs in that sheet are trailing PEs (calc. by FSDH) based on NSE shares. My projected PEs includes my estimate of shares that are yet to be listed thus they may be higher than current PEs even as PAT grows! If you include the new shares and the forward PE is less than 20, I'd call it a buy unless there's some ambiguity about the recapitalization exercise.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by windywendy(f): 7:25pm On Sep 14, 2007
Temmie10:

@Easimoni

I was reading yesterday that Crusader's asset base is 13 billion naira,
For a company whose current market value is 16.2 billion naira and with forward eps of 0.36, i still think its a hot bargain.

Anyone knows how we can obtain the financial statements of Crusader? If anyone can scan and post here, that'll be great, so that we can do some number crunching and investment analysis smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by texas543(m): 9:10pm On Sep 14, 2007
windywendy:

Anyone knows how we can obtain the financial statements of Crusader? If anyone can scan and post here, that'll be great, so that we can do some number crunching and investment analysis smiley

Go to crusaderplconline.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Folake81(f): 8:56am On Sep 15, 2007
Hi everyone!, I want to invest in my motherland(say 5000 dollars). I have been reading alot on investing at home but I've lost my Nigerian Nationality and I don't reside in Nigeria. Is it possible to still open a domicilliary account with internet access and deal with nigerian shares. I do go homeonce a year though. Do the Gurus on this Forum have any Tips on stockbrokers or banks which offer the best services. Sorry that the Question is a bit off topic. Thanks in advance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Folake81(f): 8:57am On Sep 15, 2007
Hi everyone!, I want to invest in my motherland(say 5000 dollars). I have been reading alot on investing at home but I've lost my Nigerian Nationality and I don't reside in Nigeria. Is it possible to still open a domicilliary account with internet access and deal with nigerian shares. I do go homeonce a year though. Do the Gurus on this Forum have any Tips on stockbrokers or banks which offer the best services. Sorry that the Question is a bit off topic. Thanks in advance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by folargbite(m): 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2007
Union Diagnostics PP ended yesterday. I managed to squeeze in some cash and took a position. Can some one tell me why VONO is so undervalued price wise despite the assets base compared to vitafoam
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by folargbite(m): 1:38pm On Sep 15, 2007
I believe that Access should peak between 25 and 35 Naira, by february my prayer is that certificates be issued within time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijaking1: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2007
Speaking about certificates; anybody knows when UBA certificates are coming out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2007
hi guys! really at a cross road now concerning this Acen insurance stock i would like to know if it is wise i keep faith and wait or should i rather stay safe?

And where would anyone here recommend i go for FOREX trade learning. I am tired of seeing all those other posts that are quite fraudulent. Seems there are serious people in here so i chose to ask you guys.
Thanks
Hope to hear from you guys ASAP

(1) (2) (3) ... (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.