Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,819 members, 7,827,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815638 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:35am On Sep 08, 2007
@ easimoni
If I remember correctly the preference share were issued to foreign partners and they are entitled to 6% diviudend per annum. They are even going to be represented on the board. I think the fact that they are non cummulative simply means that in any year when they are not paid due to losses, the dividends will be forfeited. Where Preference shares are cummulative the holders will be entitled to be paid to be paid preference shares for previous years before other share holders get dividend for the current year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 12:48pm On Sep 08, 2007
For those of us who are based outside Nigeria , my broker is from cashcraft , so i called her up last night and asked how i should go about buying the Unione D offer as am not based in Nigeria and she asked to wait so she could ask from her senior co0s she was in their ikoyi head office when i called , after a minute she came back online to say i can print the form , sign it and scan it to them .
Then i asked how i should go about the payment , she said there two ways, either she gives my family ( they handle my payment to cashcraft) cashcraft bank account or they can go to any intercontinental bank and pay for the my offer .
Now i asked her what about some kind of receipt, that their should be some kind of document to be issued to my people after the payment, she said there is none there is none , that it would be updated to my online brokerage account with cashcraft , this is the part that i am slightly concerned as i would like to have some receipt acknowledging that i paid for the offer .
I then asked her what about others who want to buy the offer but are not cashcraft clients, you sure have to issue them some receipt as they are not having online account with cashcraft,she said they would create an online account with cashcraft for anyone that buys the offer , so i would like to know for those that have bought this offer , did you have to register an account with cashcraft for you to be able to buy it ? or those this affect only those that want to buy from cashcraft directly like in my case ?
I have printed , filled , scanned and emailed the form to my cashcraft broker , am sure i will be getting reply from them on monday and i will let you guys know what they say , but so far i think its pretty easy to buy the offer even if you are based outside the country .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 3:13pm On Sep 08, 2007
Interesting article I stumbled across about high P/E ratios and how they mislead us.

http://www.cabotwealth.com/2007/09/08/debunking-three-investing-myths/
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 4:48pm On Sep 08, 2007
@Tmoni
yes wema is planning a po. i feel you, value stocks respond over time and many times are not usually the most fashionable but in the long run, they have been shown to perform better,

@jehosaphat
Thers's diff schools of thoughts on investing, one school is value investing which summarily believes that one should never pay too much for a stock and will be happy to buy predominantly undervalued stocks, low PE's, Low price to book ratio, good dividend payout ratio are welcome in value investing. Buffet is the king of value investing.

The other school is growth investing which basically seeks companies with the highest expected earnings growths and prospects, and tries to position themselves so that they benefit from the expected high earnings growth. They usually would not mind buying a company with a high PE, PEG is more important in such a case,

There's variations and in most cases, people apply a mix of both. In a bullish market, growth managers will smile more in most cases, in a bear market, more often than not the value investors are the ones that get burnt much less because they bought stocks at a margin of safety.
I subscribe more to value investing, though i obviously am not averse to sticking my head in when i sense good earnings growth. Thats how i ended buying insurance stocks, and besides, who no want be like Buffet? grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:54pm On Sep 08, 2007
Does anyone know of valueline securities limited.How is their services like and can they meet up the new capital base.

How is cashcraft services like and their acct openin procedure

Does anyone know of valueline securities limited.How is their services like and can they meet up the new capital base.

How is cashcraft services like and their acct openin procedure
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:57pm On Sep 08, 2007
@ Temmie,

Btw japol oil n union diag,where will you stick your neck?

How much do u advise should be invested in union diag pp?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 5:03pm On Sep 08, 2007
@enurayce
I am not sure you want to go to cashcraft o except you know somebody there .
Their execution of deals is slow.
I am not too sure about Valueline, dunno anything about their capital base.

I have not seen japaul's prospectus but the current price of 6.02 is currently fair as their eps is 30k so the 3.95 is an obvious discount of about 35%.

Union Diagnostics's forecasts are ambitious BUT i expect that there's a good chance that they'll meet the forecasts.
If a company makes a forecast in the 3rd quarter of 2007 about 2007 results, then i would think the forecasts are based largely on some already achieved results in the last 2 quarters.

So thats it, you will make money on both of them. The rest of the decision on money allocation is yours o.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 5:14pm On Sep 08, 2007
@ temmie,
thanks a great deal n keep the good work on
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 8:08pm On Sep 08, 2007
Great Job Temmie 10. So Dangote might not be such a bad deal after all. The crowd likes it so ama go wif the flow. feel me?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 8:15pm On Sep 08, 2007
Speaking of Japaul, whats the deal with them? Is the offer still on or suspended or what?

Temmie 10. I have a special question for you. How does one identify companies that will pay reasonable-fantastic dividends even if the share price does not necessarily appreciate? Like Microsoft remaining at ($27-$28 ) for a long time but I hear the dividends are not bad at all. Like DanSug or BCC. Is this strictly a Dangote trait or what?

There is this milk company WAMCO ( Dutch dairy company). Has anyone heard of them? How does one access their shares?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 8:34pm On Sep 08, 2007
WAMCO is not quoted on the stockexchange.I think they are still a private company,not yet public
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 8:49pm On Sep 08, 2007
Whatever the fears about DANGOTE FLOUR here, expect this stock to get to 30-35naira by feb.2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alliednetw(m): 8:51pm On Sep 08, 2007
Whatever the fears about DANGOTE FLOUR here, expect this stock to get to 30-35naira by feb.2008
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by chokit(m): 9:19pm On Sep 08, 2007
@Egoldman
@Enalose
The whole thing about the application and submittion of union daigo. looks pretty confusing to me.No 1 i am not with cashcraft No 2 my broker is not ready to handly this for me so i have to do it myself.The question is can i scan the copy of the form directly to cashcraft and ask my sister to pay into inetercontinetal but how will it reflect that i payed when the form and the money is going 2 different ways.Or do you know if it is possible to pay and subimt the form together at intercontinental.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2007
chokit:

@Egoldman
@Enalose
The whole thing about the application and submittion of union daigo. looks pretty confusing to me.No 1 i am not with cashcraft No 2 my broker is not ready to handly this for me so i have to do it myself.The question is can i scan the copy of the form directly to cashcraft and ask my sister to pay into inetercontinetal but how will it reflect that i payed when the form and the money is going 2 different ways.Or do you know if it is possible to pay and subimt the form together at intercontinental.

I think you should just call cahcraft or send an email asking for the best way to do it.
see www.cashcraft.com since it is a PP it has not recieved enough publicity which costs money. But like others have suggested Union diag is long term buy. I also suggest you fill the form using a nigerian address so the certificate will be sent there then ask whoever is paying the money to put your name. Get the teller no and other detaisla nd give that to the cashcraft person, guess deal is seal, Good speed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 11:22pm On Sep 08, 2007
egoldman,
When i first read your post it seemed quite straight to me even though you seemed confused about the payment angle but with chokit's post, i'd like you to please clarify on your post.
If one is paying into intercontinental bank, i'd assume there's an arrangement for the bank to collect monies and as such the payment teller should just do the trick with respect to evidence of payment or am i getting something wrong.
Also, would i be correct to assume intercontinental bank as a recieveing agent thus i can pay and submit my form to the bank. Your response would be highly appreciated. By the way, nice post.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 11:31pm On Sep 08, 2007
Shigidi,
You don't have to change your CSCS number. Just take note of it and inform the new brokers that you already have a CSCS number when opening an account with them. The only thing that will change will be your account number.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:30am On Sep 09, 2007
thanks alot temmie,
i would definitely buy into WEMA and wait for the result,
at least a buck here or there would be a lot better than the prevailing interest rates,
bout hw much do u think would be resonable enough to be good yet safe in it
this champooo goes to u,
sterling goes to easimoni

@ all other nairalanders,
any other reasonable not too far fetched stocks,
cheers

PS- who has heard anything bout oceanic bank certs
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Vitastraka(m): 3:10am On Sep 09, 2007
For me the problem with Dangote Flour is how much to buy without risking them keeping and then later returning my money.

When they are looking for people to return money back to, what formula do they use?

Is it people who bought big that will get not get full allotment (therefore money returned) or is it the small buyers like

myself who will end up with returned money?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 3:28am On Sep 09, 2007
the company selling the shares would have draw up a quota system whereby a certain level of investors would get their full subscription given to them (usually below 50,000 units)

the rest above are now given in different ratios
eg as in dansugar, i applied for 100,000 and was given 88,000
so someone who applied for 200,000 might have been given 150,000 and so on

sort of system to make us feel among too i would advise you to overapply and when they do their quota stuff, u still come out tall
i hope i sort of made sense cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by goldenson(m): 4:32am On Sep 09, 2007
chokit:

@Egoldman
@Enalose

Hey this is how I did it : I filld out my form and scaned it to a friend and also paid money into his account. He then took the form to Cashcraft office in osborn Ikoyi. When he got there , they broker told him he can pay with his cheque and he was asked to write my name in the back of the cheque and also state that payment was for the PP. Mind you , my broker is Zenith Securities and i dont have any account with Cashcraft.

So you can have your sister take the scanned form and payment to any of their office and pay there too. Good luck
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by GBGHOSTBOY: 6:38am On Sep 09, 2007
goldenson (m)
Hey this is how I did it : I filld out my form and scaned it to a friend and also paid money into his account. He then took the form to Cashcraft office in osborn Ikoyi. When he got there , they broker told him he can pay with his cheque and he was asked to write my name in the back of the cheque and also state that payment was for the PP. Mind you , my broker is Zenith

BRO, can one pay cash or only by cheque? Is it possible to fill up the form,lodge and pay in any intercontinental bank nationwide?

kindly advise.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by goldenson(m): 11:22pm On Sep 09, 2007
GBGHOSTBOY:

goldenson (m)
Hey this is how I did it : I filld out my form and scaned it to a friend and also paid money into his account. He then took the form to Cashcraft office in osborn Ikoyi. When he got there , they broker told him he can pay with his cheque and he was asked to write my name in the back of the cheque and also state that payment was for the PP. Mind you , my broker is Zenith

BRO, can one pay cash or only by cheque? Is it possible to fill up the form,lodge and pay in any intercontinental bank nationwide?

kindly advise.

I am not sure about cash. but instead of cash why not buy a bank draft with your cash fram any bank and pay with it. That way you proff of payment. you dont wana be giving nobody u dont know cash in nigeria. I called a contact in Intercontinental bank and she told me that they are selling the Union Diag PP. So u can go to the bank and submit and pay there also.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 1:49am On Sep 10, 2007
So when will SKYE REIT be listed? Does anyone know?
Access too.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Opomulero1(m): 4:23am On Sep 10, 2007
egoldman:

For those of us who are based outside Nigeria , my broker is from cashcraft , so i called her up last night and asked how i should go about buying the Unione D offer as am not based in Nigeria and she asked to wait so she could ask from her senior co0s she was in their ikoyi head office when i called , after a minute she came back online to say i can print the form , sign it and scan it to them .
Then i asked how i should go about the payment , she said there two ways, either she gives my family ( they handle my payment to cashcraft) cashcraft bank account or they can go to any intercontinental bank and pay for the my offer .
Now i asked her what about some kind of receipt, that their should be some kind of document to be issued to my people after the payment, she said there is none there is none , that it would be updated to my online brokerage account with cashcraft , this is the part that i am slightly concerned as i would like to have some receipt acknowledging that i paid for the offer .
I then asked her what about others who want to buy the offer but are not cashcraft clients, you sure have to issue them some receipt as they are not having online account with cashcraft,she said they would create an online account with cashcraft for anyone that buys the offer , so i would like to know for those that have bought this offer , did you have to register an account with cashcraft for you to be able to buy it ? or those this affect only those that want to buy from cashcraft directly like in my case ?
I have printed , filled , scanned and emailed the form to my cashcraft broker , am sure i will be getting reply from them on monday and i will let you guys know what they say , but so far i think its pretty easy to buy the offer even if you are based outside the country .

I've bought virtually all my POs through InterCon, and I find the system pretty transparent. I always pay by cheque, even when I have the cash on me, I first deposit it (I have an account with them) - just so as I have a solid paper trail. But, they already have their own paper trail. Once you pay in at the counter, you take your teller and the PO form to the customer service desk, where they register it in a book, with your personal details, phone number, number of shares paid for, etc. They then photocopy the form and the teller, retain the original form with a photocopy of the teller, and return the teller to you with a photocopy of the form. It can be a bit cumbersome, especially on days when there are lots of people waiting at the CS desk, but I always leave satisfied that I have proof that I bought into an offer. I'll be using the same procedure for Union Diag, even though CashCraft have an office in Ibadan - I'd rather deal with my bank than a broker with an increasingly bad rep!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 6:20am On Sep 10, 2007
Its 10.55 am here and still too early in Nigeria , i will be calling my cashcraft broker later in about three hours from now and will update you guys on what she says, i have already sent the scanned copy of the form (Union D offer ) that i filled on Friday night , so i guess she would see them this morning .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:00am On Sep 10, 2007
I practice growth at a reasonable price strategy. That involves buying growth stocks at periods when they are low in price ( relatively)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:31am On Sep 10, 2007
To all those who are offshore and want to invest in Union D you can email the scanned completed application form to a relative or trusted fellow in Nigeria and either get the recipient in Naija to write a cheque crossed made payable to "Union Services Private Placement" your details on the back of the cheque same as in the app from or if paying cash pay into any branch of Intercontinental bank into Account number 0046001000062199. The app form can be taken to any branch of Cashcraft or Intercontinental bank
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pinokio(m): 6:04pm On Sep 10, 2007
ANY INFO ABOUT PARTNERSHIP INVESTMENT, AS PER RELIABILITY AND SPEED OF TRANSACTIONS? LEMME KNOW SHARPISH, THANKS FOLKS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by otokx(m): 7:01pm On Sep 10, 2007
This union diagnostics guys, is there any relationship between them and union bank? am having a serious suspicion about this whole presentation. What if people don't get sick? How are they going to make their money? How many people really can afford such services?
I think we better re-examine some of those facts again?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 7:34pm On Sep 10, 2007
otokx:

This union diagnostics guys, is there any relationship between them and union bank? am having a serious suspicion about this whole presentation. What if people don't get sick? How are they going to make their money? How many people really can afford such services?
I think we better re-examine some of those facts again?

That's just like saying dont buy Dangote Flour because what if people never get hungry. If u nor wan buy no pour sand for their garri.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 10, 2007
Results and Recommendation for FCMB, Unity Bank
http://www.wikifortio.com/674766/Company+news+and+results+FCMB%2C+UNITY+BANK++Plc+10-09-07.pdf

and click here for IBTC Marketwatch
http://www.wikifortio.com/856970/IBTC+MarketWatch+10+September+2007+Volume+9+Issue+2.pdf

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.