Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (813186 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:11pm On Sep 12, 2007
@shidigi and temmie10

thanks for the updates,

i would take positions in wema and crusader soon,

Pls does anybody an idea when the certificates for oceanic bank would come out and what price do u think it would stabilise at?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:25pm On Sep 12, 2007
folargbite, its a hold hold, if u want to jump in, maybe u should wait till about february or april and take position from then.
tmoni, im not sure when oceanic will be out. but i hope really soon. it should stabilise at 35 naira by november or december but if there is bonus issue(unlikely) who knows lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geebaba: 1:08pm On Sep 12, 2007
hi guys, u guys have been very wonderful. pls does anybody have anynews about equity assurance
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 1:49pm On Sep 12, 2007
Its being rumoured that First Bank IPO of N100b was oversubscribed to the tune of N500b. First Bank will keep N120b and return about N380b to investors.

Now, that should be fantastic news for investors as all that money should eventually flow back into the stock exchange and give a mega boost to activities in the secondary market, right?? WRONG!!

REASON: There is also a rumour that the likes of GTB, PHB, Sterling and other banks are going to come back to the market with IPOs to mop up all those funds!!!

I think IPOs have depressed activities on the secondary market for too long, especially bank IPOS. In my own humble opinion, these banks are just mopping up funds without having any effect on the real sector. They wont give out loans to manufacturing and other companies to operate and when these companies go to the stock exchange for funds, they are starved because the banks are there mopping up funds with their IPOs!!!! One of the reasons why everything in Nigeria is imported is because manufacturers do not have the funds to improve!!!!!

Banks have recapitalised, most to the tune of well over N25b. What are they doing with all that money?? Its still not showing in the economy!! Let them give good rate loans to the manufacturers so we can see some productivity in the economy. The NSE is not a fund guzzling party to see who swallows the most funds!!!

I think SEC, NSE and other regulators should peg certain time intervals within which banks can go for IPOs. They're choking the economy and can eventually crash the market.

We don't want the stock market bubble to burst!!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 2:32pm On Sep 12, 2007
very insightful. Nigerian Banks have to relax their lending guidelines otherwise they will stunt their growth.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2007
bros marrisa,

abeg is WEMA coming to the floor soon? let us know and prepare for them oo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 2:57pm On Sep 12, 2007
Tmoni:

bros marrisa,

abeg is WEMA coming to the floor soon? let us know and prepare for them oo

When will IBTC come out ohhhhhh angry

I don tire to dey wait oh
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 4:46pm On Sep 12, 2007
Folks,

If anyone has wire instructions to CASHCRAFT from the USA please post here. It is difficult to get through to speak to someone, no response to emails.

Much Appreciated!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by forexgiude: 5:11pm On Sep 12, 2007
BETTER TO LEARN BEFORE INVESTING

GET YOUR FOREX LESSON CDs

SIX CDS FOR ONLY 3K NAIRA (EACH CD CONTAINS ABOUT 600MEGA BYTE OF INFORMATION). FULL AUDIO AND VIDEO, FULL STEP BY STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO TRADE FX.

TO ORDER SEND EMAIL TO :bitterstone1@yahoo.no
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ess: 7:36pm On Sep 12, 2007
Na wa o! They don come o polluting this our nice blog. Please we dont need adverts here, there are other rooms for them on this forum. Keep on the good work guys esp Temmie10, easimoni, wanajo,shigidi, frankriri etc.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 9:05pm On Sep 12, 2007
Please, what is the buying and selling commission for Amyn Investments & Cashcraft?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 10:59pm On Sep 12, 2007
Re: Contacting cashcraft. I earlier placed the e maiil of one of the staff at Abuja Office.
eliakim.uzamere at cashcraft.com. He said to ease funds transfer to buy uniondiagnostics u will need to use a relative or friend u trust in Nig. who will help wit the transaction. Any way still contact him.

@ advertisers of get rich quick schemes. I think this is not d right place to advertise ur wares.

Thanks to d whole house for making it real on nairaland
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:09am On Sep 13, 2007
@all
I just saw nahco's prospectus and i am not impressed o.
is there something i am missing?
shigidi et al, what do you think?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 1:21am On Sep 13, 2007
Ess:

Na wa o! They don come o polluting this our nice blog. Please we don't need adverts here, there are other rooms for them on this forum. Keep on the good work guys esp Temmie10, easimoni, wanajo,shigidi, frankriri etc.

seconded wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 1:45am On Sep 13, 2007
drdaniel:

Re: Contacting cashcraft. I earlier placed the e maiil of one of the staff at Abuja Office.
eliakim.uzamere at cashcraft.com. He said to ease funds transfer to buy uniondiagnostics u will need to use a relative or friend u trust in Nig. who will help wit the transaction. Any way still contact him.

@ advertisers of get rich quick schemes. I think this is not d right place to advertise your wares.

Thanks to d whole house for making it real on nairaland

@drdaniel

Thanks for the info. I would have done the relative thing but this time it is not convenient. It will surprise me if a brokerage firm the size of Cashcraft does not have a facility to receive funds from the west with all the money pouring in from abroad. Other brokers do. Na wa.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 1:47am On Sep 13, 2007
I have not had time to really gothru it but it appears to be ok. I like the fact that thier 2007 PE is below ten and their trailing PE is about 11.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 1:57am On Sep 13, 2007
frankiriri:

I have not had time to really gothru it but it appears to be ok. I like the fact that their 2007 PE is below ten and their trailing PE is about 11.

Something's amiss.
eps for 2007 is 0.74, 0.92 for 2008 and 1.39 for 2007

Have a look at page 7 of http://cashcraft.com/NahcoProspectus.pdf
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 3:53am On Sep 13, 2007
hi guys, i must really state here you all have influenced my financial habits positively. I bought Acen Insurance stocks yesterday, i would like to know if i did the right thing its not too late to amend my ways
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 4:07am On Sep 13, 2007
Yes because the stock is on bid and it is very likely the price rise up in the near future although Accen is not a liquid stock
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:45am On Sep 13, 2007
frankiriri:

I have not had time to really gothru it but it appears to be ok. I like the fact that their 2007 PE is below ten and their trailing PE is about 11.

That was definetly an error!!!!

The offer is not attractive at least in the short term. It is clearly over valued. The only attraction is that the shares on offer are quite small (120m units). That means the scarcity of the shares will persist. Dangote flour looks more attractive.

Let's wait for Japual's prospectus to pick the best out of the lot!!!!

With this new propsectus, Access Bank is looking like a bargain.

With everyone coming to the market now, it is pretty obvious that the market is over valued hence the rush by everyone to partake. A correction is definitely in sight. At the very least, expect a modest rise in index for 2008!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:47am On Sep 13, 2007
bibiking1:

hi guys, i must really state here you all have influenced my financial habits positively. I bought Acen Insurance stocks yesterday, i would like to know if i did the right thing its not too late to amend my ways

Are you sure that Accen met the consolidation criteria? I know that their merger with NEM collapsed!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enolase(m): 8:05am On Sep 13, 2007
All these banks that are just coming out to mop up funds and depress the secondary market.

Meanwhile, they don't give the kind of loans they ought to be giving. They have drastically cut down the amount of funds that are available for use by Small and Medium scale Enterprises.

A have friends who tried to access the mandatory 20% profit after tax money CBN mandated them to keep aside to give out loans to SMIEES. Nasty stories all the way. Staff at the bank look at them practically as beggars, and treat them as such.

My take is that before a bank comes to start pandering about public offers, they have to show their intention to make loans accessible to those who want them. If they can't, then they should be stopped from depressing the secondary market in the name of public offers.

Perhaps Nigerians should stop buying public offers altogether in protest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:10am On Sep 13, 2007
frankiriri:

nah Frankriri i dont think that`s right though. Should the trailing PE not be the PE for 2007 or are you making reference to forward PE in which case it would be for 2008? From what  i have seen the DPS does not seem to correlate with the EPS  or ami  talking gibberish here? Someone needs to have a look again at the prospectus
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:44am On Sep 13, 2007
RoughCut:

nah Frankriri i don't think that`s right though. Should the trailing PE not be the PE for 2007 or are you making reference to forward PE in which case it would be for 2008? From what i have seen the DPS does not seem to correlate with the EPS or ami talking gibberish here? Someone needs to have a look again at the prospectus

There is an error in the 2007 PE figure contained in the propsectus. The EPS for 2007 was was right but the PE was wrong. Material error if you ask me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 10:25am On Sep 13, 2007
wanaj0:

There is an error in the 2007 PE figure contained in the propsectus. The EPS for 2007 was was right but the PE was wrong. Material error if you ask me.

Material error which is capable of swinging people into not buying grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 12:04pm On Sep 13, 2007
To the Gurus in the house,

[size=12pt]IF you buy a share in the secondary mkt assuming this week, can you possible sell it say next week without any bottleneck beuacracy. Secondly how much would be the total deductions. (Tax,commisions e.t.c.)[/12]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:59pm On Sep 13, 2007
KnowAll:

IF you buy a share in the secondary mkt assuming this week, can you possible sell it say next week without any bottleneck beuacracy. Secondly how much would be the total deductions. (Tax,commisions e.t.c.)

If all goes well, you can sell 4 business days after you buy. Recently, I made a big error (didn't do my homework) and sold a week after buying so I know it's possible.

Most brokers charge commissions based on the size of your transaction. The lower the value of the transaction, the more they charge. I typically pay ~2.4% (incl SEC, NSE fees) to buy and ~ 2.6% to sell. But talk to your broker for the exact figures.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 4:49pm On Sep 13, 2007
@Temmie 10 and easimoni,

Whats ur top 5 insurance stocks and what do u think of Accenis(Accen insurance)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by deezzle(m): 5:02pm On Sep 13, 2007
@easimoni
please, wats d minimal amount i can go to a stockbroker with?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 5:45pm On Sep 13, 2007
@Temmie 10 et al
Do you guys have a position in Union Bank? What is your feeling about their prospects as to matching 1st Bank's performance. Also if you had over 30% of your portfolio in the bank would you divesting of some shares and use the proceeds in a more aggressive company.
Thanks for the input.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:29pm On Sep 13, 2007
RoughCut:

nah Frankriri i don't think that`s right though. Should the trailing PE not be the PE for 2007 or are you making reference to forward PE in which case it would be for 2008? From what i have seen the DPS does not seem to correlate with the EPS or ami talking gibberish here? Someone needs to have a look again at the prospectus
The trailing PE should be computed using the last declared EPS. SInce the results for the year 2007 have not yet been declared any PE computed with it would be forward.
I noticed the error in the EPS calculation. Instead of stating the EPS in kobo as 30k they stated it in naira terms as 0.3.The parties to the offer really goofed, in that no one noticed the error.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by texas543(m): 9:58pm On Sep 13, 2007
Thank God we dont have to wait forever again after IPOs and POs.

In a bid to improve the efficiency of the Nigerian Capital Market, the regulatory authorities - The Nigerian Securities & Exchange Commission and The Nigerian Stock Exchange; held a meeting with stakeholders (Issuing Houses and Stockbroking Firms) in the market today and the following decisions were AGREED UPON:

1. Henceforth, all public offers would be alloted via electronic means into Investors' CSCS account, this presupposes that before investors apply for public offers they are expected to have brokerage account with a stockbroking firm.

2. Certificates would ONLY be issued if investors fail to supply their CSCS account details on the application form.

3. Central Bank of Nigeria will no longer have to go through the verification process before allotment of the shares as was the case in previous offerings. This has been a bottle neck in allotments for previous public offers because of the beureaucracy involved. However, if there is any need to verify or investigate any application this would be done after the shares has been alloted.

The above decisions have thus been taken to strengthen investors confidence in the market.

Proshareng

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.