Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,838 members, 7,828,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815652 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2007
People will always get sick. People will get pregnant and the well to do will also do medical check ups whether or not they are sick. In fact because of my recent ill health I have decided to be doing mini check ups every 6 months. It is better to nip any thing in the bud before it has a chance to do any damage to the body
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2007
hello guys,how do i transfer my shares portfolio from one stockbroker to another

stockbroker,need ur reply.mail to; adeagbo_seun@yahoo.com

THanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dearstan(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2007
i can't keep repeating myself about posting your emails on public forums.
@last poster. now you would regret what you just did because your box is now a target to spammers

@all
if you must post your email, try to break it with space or change the @ to {at} .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 10:49pm On Sep 10, 2007
Its been a busy past few days for me but i thot i'd just leave some comments here tonite:

The market is looking very interesting: Insurance funds will be released for real soon. Those spiraling upwards are probably because of insider information. In any case, some exposure to insurance at this time is very healthy for those looking at good gains.

Dangote Flour is so different from dangote sugar. dangote sugar is a monopoly, dangote flour is not. Dangote sugar was offered at a discount, Dangote flour is being offered at a premium. Dangote sugar was offered at a trailing pe of 10, it was undervalued even if the company did not produce any sugar again after the po, Dangote flour is being offered at a trailing pe of 35, it is not a monopoly and any figurative chance of profit depends on the company's aggressive growth plan working out very well, but it does carry some sentiment if that counts for anything.
Verdict: It will do well but not as good as dangote sugar, give this consideration especially in the amount you expose yourself to.

I cannot remember who asked me about unity bank last week, IN any case, get out now. The figures for the bank are BAD. except there is a takeover, foreign investor or speculative madness, i dun see much upside. It is at 6.6 now and that is grossly overpriced. Some insurance companies have much much better earnings per share than unity, looks like they are being listed in the wrong category to me.

Diamond,Intercontinental, wema are also looking very healthy, FCMB's public offer is a good one by the way.

Hope this helps someone grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 10:56pm On Sep 10, 2007
@ Temmie 10

You are Da-bomb!!! Thanks for the informations it really help a brother to make a better decision.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 1:24am On Sep 11, 2007
@ Temmie 10.
Bros answer me na?? how does one identify companies that will focus more on returning value to investors by way of dividend than by increasing share price without any side dividends. I know share price increase is good but one or two cash return from time to time no bad at all.

Where BIGBOYLARY dey na? Abi u don sell ur "crystal ball" take buy Dangote?? grin grin grin. Abeg which juicy stocks dey on the horizon

Where easimoni? U don make the money finish
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 1:29am On Sep 11, 2007
Very well analysed Temmie10.
Even dangote sugar was only 130% subscribed. Despite monopoly and the hype.
No doubt Dangote Flour will gain after listing but not comaparable to Sugar.
There are so many other stocks demanding our Naira.
Will likely give this a miss or put a token amount.
cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pangolo: 3:27am On Sep 11, 2007
even the DanSug sef person nor make money like dat. By the time when the thing reach 50-something come down certificate neva enter. DangFlour is depending a lot on sentiment more than fundamentals. If you must have a stake in Flour look into Flour Mills. They are going strong and not showing signs of stopping. Look where "sentiment" carry Transcorp owners go land. If Transcorp ever shows signs of taking off I'll jump in for the ride but meanwhile my money has made me profit else where. Transcorp was a great IDEA but when rubber hit the road it didnt work out as planned. Too much "ego fights", political involvements etc. Before u know dem don sack Bernard Longe of FBN, before you know dem don enter huge debt, before you know Head of NSE who is also a director at Transcorp put the company on "hibernate". See as "sentimental" buyers dey dump de shares now. Make e drop small make I enter sef grin. All that DangFlour has to do is miss one bonus or one dividend or something little, then una go see as sentiment dey sour like bad milk. I now see why the SEC was trying to protect us; that thing is too HIGH!! Goodness, If I wanna put my hard earned money somewhere, give me FUNDAMENTALS first then SENTIMENT next and we are good friends.

Nuff Said

Abeg how far with Japaul, are they still offering or has it been suspended indefinitely?

Abeg where den dey sell CRYSTAL BALL make i for purchase one, i need to see better stocks. BIGBOYLARY, where you take buy ur crystal ball abeg? Online?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shogbenga: 7:19am On Sep 11, 2007
dear wanajo

i am new on this forum, could you please make available your e mail address. i will like to contact you and if possible your phone no. thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by marjson(m): 7:48am On Sep 11, 2007
Good Day,
Please i need the I.P.O Application form of International Beweries and their bankers Name where i can submit the Forms after getting it
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:34am On Sep 11, 2007
to all those who are new to this forum and looking for stocks to buy, just read the last 8 pages of this thread and i guarantee u all ur answers are there, any good stock right now is mentioned in these last pages.
a big thanks to temmie10,easi, wanajo, frank for their patience and understanding.
so welcome to nairaland ,and just read those pages wink wink wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:48am On Sep 11, 2007
well, im free right now so what the hey!!!
as per the banks, intercont., oceanic, FBN and UBA, diamond are all looking very juicy right now, these have the lowest forward pe ratios.
all the pos should be good in this sector the rate at which all these banks are growing.
however pls note that i think Fidelity's p.o price is been sold at a small premium cos i think its fair value should be about 9.50k, unless their year end result is fantastic.its forecast eps is 0.32.
FCMBs po is very solid. especially with the first quarter result released yesterday.
also watch out for two other aces in this sector, skye and wema. skye is slowly creeping up in price and its year end is round the cormner, it should be on par with fcmb or just slightly below in terms of eps so watch out for sky,e, its also floating a po of its own in Q1 of 2008 and there is even a bonus rumor or at least a good dividend by the time its year end is released.
as per the insurance, the major guys are wapic, mbenefits, crusaderand standard alliance. their fundamentals are looking solid and dont forget wapic is backed by intercont.

in other sectors, the stocks with good fundamentals are flour mills, wapco, nigerian-german chemicals, dangote sugar.
also there are good growth stocks like japaul oil, c&i leasing, university press, these are more long term stocks but they are not doing badly.
so best of luck and God bless cool cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dearstan(m): 12:03pm On Sep 11, 2007
@everybody

Watch the Money Show on AIT every week day from 10a.m-12pm

It would help you in making better decisions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:11pm On Sep 11, 2007
jehosaphat:

@ Temmie 10.
Bros answer me na?? how does one identify companies that will focus more on returning value to investors by way of dividend than by increasing share price without any side dividends. I know share price increase is good but one or two cash return from time to time no bad at all.

Where BIGBOYLARY dey na? Abi u don sell your "crystal ball" take buy Dangote?? grin grin grin. Abeg which juicy stocks dey on the horizon

Where easimoni? You don make the money finish

Nestle pays good dividends and won't split the stock often. The downstream oil companies also pay great dividends relative to price. FSDH securities' daily report includes a % dividend yield. You should sign up.

Easimoni is on a 2-week vacation and will check in from time to time. You are in good hands though!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 2:16pm On Sep 11, 2007
@Easimoni:

So Aiico has declared dividend? You're supposed to be the deejay of the insurance sector so pls dont be stingy ohhh grin

Give us the gist grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:29pm On Sep 11, 2007
jehosaphat:

@ Temmie 10.

Where BIGBOYLARY dey na? Abi u don sell your "crystal ball" take buy Dangote?? grin grin grin. Abeg which juicy stocks dey on the horizon

Where easimoni? You don make the money finish

the question on dividend is very subjective. In theory, a company should only pay dividends if there are no projects that will give the shareholders a better return. Its all about company culture and dividend payout policy.

Some companies pay out most of their earnings (this makes sense if its a monopoly and there's very little threat to income, also real estate companies would normally payout most of their earnings as dividends)
Some other companies pay out very little  dividends (this makes sense for insurance companies because of the nature of the business tho there have been exceptions in recent times, Crusader paid 15k in May, )

@Easimoni
enjoy your break,
we'll be waiting for you when u come back sha o grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2007
whitelexi:

@Easimoni:

So Aiico has declared dividend? You're supposed to be the deejay of the insurance sector so please don't be stingy ohhh grin

Give us the gist grin

AIICO did a 1-for-6 with no dividends after the last year-end results. Temmie answered you well. Insurance companies should not be paying dividends since the PAT growth rate is v high. They should be re-investing that money in their money-spinning business.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nossycheek(f): 3:01pm On Sep 11, 2007
I learnt Japaul and NaHco POs are out. Pls can someone post the application forms online for us to download or direct us to their sites?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 4:39pm On Sep 11, 2007
This is an open question to any stockbrokers in the house. I inherited some stocks from my father a couple of years ago. I started the transfer process in June 2005. I have a young stockbroker working on my behalf but I wonder if the process would be faster if I moved it to a bigger house. Has anyone gone thru the process and if so tell how long it took to accomplish the transfer.

@ Temmie10
Are you still bullish about Crusader?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 8:09pm On Sep 11, 2007
akinnNC, i can chance temmie10, crusader is still strong, shouldbe between 7.5-9naira by march, that is without the released funds. very high turnover.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:05pm On Sep 11, 2007
Shigidi is spot on. Even though i would bail out if crusader goes around 8 this year (except of course our darling cbn funds are released tongue).
I do have some questions about the capital structure.
But the profit attributable to shareholders is still very mouthwatering.

Btw has anyone noticed that transcorp md has been talking up the company a lot in recent weeks, every other day, there's an article about how trashcorp will be great, even as the company's shareprice is having a freefall, ?
Someone please tell that man that he needs to do more than pr and talking up, The company should get to basics, by last count they had over a quarter of a million shareholders. I think those ppl deserve more than hype.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by akininNC(m): 11:33pm On Sep 11, 2007
Thanks for the info guys. Are u planning on getting into Wema @ a certain price? Any other insurance "hotpicks"
AkininNC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 11:41pm On Sep 11, 2007
Net Bid as at Sept. 11 from NSE
Access -12.32m
Ibtc -9.06m
Nahco -6.49m
Wapic -5.23m
Japauloil -5.07m
IkejaHotel – 4.76m
IntBrew – 2.69m
AirService -1.90m
AccenIns -1.32m
C&I leasing -0.429m

Net Offer
Transcorp -34.94m
FCMB -11.25m
Afribank -7.69m
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 11:52pm On Sep 11, 2007
Temmie10

Must admit to buying a substantial amount of Transcorp at the private placement.

I believe in the ideal of a megaplayer owned by rank and file Nigerians and not by fronts for government officials and politicians.

The company has been plagued by ruthless opponents determined to undermine "Obasanjo's creation" and by those within whose self-interest runs contrary to Transcorp.

This new guy has done a lot in the short time he has been at the helm, not least the restructuring of the management and raising the money to reposition Nitel and Mtel.

It is a buy and hold stock and I may buy some more if the price continues dropping.

There is a part of Atlanta inhabited by early investors in CocaCola. They are called CocaCola millionaires. Someday there will be Transcorp billionaires and I intend to be one of them.

Samstone4 cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:07am On Sep 12, 2007
@samstone4
Trust me, i am not anti-transcorp at all, i dun love companies and i dun hate them. Peformance is all i care about.

Since you bought private placement, you are at an advantage. Most Nigerians bought at a much higher price.
Besides, i am sure CocaCola had a much better corporate governance than Transcorp

And on buying more shares if it drops, i would be happy to consider buying shares of any company that is grossly undervalued. Transcorp, my friend is not yet undervalued, not at this time.
If that money was used to buy an insurance po last september, we'r talking at least 500%, if it was a banking stock a la fidelity, intercontinental,wema, ibtc, afribank, fcmb etc, you'd still have made at least 400%. Why tie your money down unnecessarily?

The duration of the time when your money was locked in Transcorp, you could have invested the money elsewhere, multiplied it many times and still come back to buy many more units of Transcorp even cheaper when you so decide.
You can be a your own billionaire not necessarily a Transcorp billionaire.

@Akin
Wema is a buy, 10 naira is still a very good price
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 6:17am On Sep 12, 2007
@Temmie10

Was not accusing you of being anti-transcorp but saying things like the new MD is all hype and by implication no action was incorrect.

I agree there was a lot of sleek presentations prior to his arrival. These make people like me very suspicious but then almost all the banks have been doing the same thing. You may say "but the bank shares have been going up" and would be right if you want to buy, make a quick profit and get out but certainly can't rest easy with your money in some of these banks stocks.

Nitel, Mtel and SAT3 are all money spinners that have been allowed to waste due to the incompetence and corruption of our leaders. Transcorp looks like putting things right. Bet you would have wanted to be an investor in MTN nigeria when they first came here. Why do you think they have not floated on the NSE? They talked about it for years.

In a short while with the finance already arranged the Transcorp franchises will take off. Meanwhile many people are hoping for the price to crash so they can get in. We will wait and see.

Samstone4 cool cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:57am On Sep 12, 2007
Temmie10:

@samstone4
Trust me, i am not anti-transcorp at all, i dun love companies and i dun hate them. Peformance is all i care about.

Since you bought private placement, you are at an advantage. Most Nigerians bought at a much higher price.
Besides, i am sure CocaCola had a much better corporate governance than Transcorp

And on buying more shares if it drops, i would be happy to consider buying shares of any company that is grossly undervalued. Transcorp, my friend is not yet undervalued, not at this time.
If that money was used to buy an insurance po last september, we'r talking at least 500%, if it was a banking stock a la fidelity, intercontinental,wema, ibtc, afribank, fcmb etc, you'd still have made at least 400%. Why tie your money down unnecessarily?

The duration of the time when your money was locked in Transcorp, you could have invested the money elsewhere, multiplied it many times and still come back to buy many more units of Transcorp even cheaper when you so decide.
You can be a your own billionaire not necessarily a Transcorp billionaire.

@Akin
Wema is a buy, 10 naira is still a very good price

Ask yopurself who are those selling Transcorp now? Did they make a loss?

Remember, some people bought the private placement at N1.00. Others at N6.00. They've benefitted from a stock split. Those are the ones selling at huge profit. For those that bought the IPO, that was a rip off!!!!!!!! They cannot sell now. They will have to hold on.

That said, Transcorp has a lot of value. They've faced a lot of challenges. For me, I think the worst is over for them. If it dare drop to 3.00, I will swoop on it!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dwanna1(m): 8:41am On Sep 12, 2007
why work for money wen ur money can work for u. think shares and grow rich.
but if u cant manage ur shares or the technicalities involved, then wait for our mutual fund.coming soon and duly registered.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by folargbite(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2007
It has been great looking in and assimilating the progressive contributions of members of the forum. I want to know the takes of the informed members on Union Diagnostics private placement. Also any indepth analysis of the ADR of Guaranty Trust will be appreciated  smiley cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2007
folargbite, do u mean GDR of guaranty trust. well i think its a long term investment, it has lowered the eps of gtb which right now is simply a good HOLD. it should start paying off from next year, GTB has a lot of sentiment attached to it and they also give bonus once in a while.
expect a very good result announced by next year end.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by folargbite(m): 11:25am On Sep 12, 2007
It takes a lot to design an investment strategy that will yield good value for the stakeholder. Give it to the new Transcorp MD. He is focused on the strength of the Coy. Communication and Tourism. I believe that with the relegation of the egoistic midwives of the Company. The present bearish run will pan out. I am buying more of transcorp for the 3-5 year portfolio whilst my quick turn around funds goes elsewhere that is  more profitable.

POSER
Is it better to subscribe to mutual fund than manage your own portfolio? smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by folargbite(m): 11:29am On Sep 12, 2007
@shig
thanks it is GDR , I am used to Americans Depository, Is it hold and buy or hold hold

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.