Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,225 members, 7,842,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (85) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817575 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 25, 2007
NSE BID/OFFER Positon of selected stocks at close of trading on 24th September 2007

Net Bid/Demand
ACCESS 17.25m
IBTC 11.14m
NAHCO 8.57m
JAPAULOIL 5.52m
INTBREW 3.95m
LENNARDS 0.903m
IKEJAHOTEL 0.554m
UNIC 0.313m

Net Offer/Supply
FCMB -8.90m
AFRIBANK - 3.44m
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nateevs(m): 10:11am On Sep 25, 2007
Does anyone have an idea when the shares certificate of Oceanic Bank will be out?

@Easimoni,

Do you have any reliable and more importantly very updated sources of company results and fundamentals even if it means subscribing?

I have subscribed to many and always had to cancel it because no one seems to have updated news and fundamentals of any company in Nigeria except Last traded price and Volume.

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:38am On Sep 25, 2007
Tmoni:

haba roughcut, wanjo, easimoni, temmie, shidigi, frankiriri et a

plswhat is your opinion on shorting stocks in the nigerian stock exchange,
some city boys have made a killing on northern rock in the UK,

i have asked this question before about "shorting shocks"
Yes u r right some people have made money by `shorting` but unfortunately a lot of people have now been left with a stock that is now worth 60% less and no buyer in sight for northern rock and the best case scenario is for the potential buyers to buy bits of the bank`s business and the mortgage book component will eventually be worthless due to the exposure of the sub-prime credit fallout in the US. the moral of the story is while peeps make money by shorting there has to be some on the other end who will lose out heavily.
For more on `shorting` you can look up -------http://www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/shortselling1.asp
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:05am On Sep 25, 2007
@Tmoni
Shorting is very easy here in uk because of the very sophisticated market and presence of a lot of market makers.
The case in naija is different, things like short selling, options, stocklending are still a far cry.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 11:58am On Sep 25, 2007
@temmie and roughcut,

thanks for the replies and anwsers,
it has awoken my interest and lets prepare so when the niaja market is ready for it, we would be there to optimise profit,

key word-optimise so as to reassure roughcut that irrespective of the money to be made, we would be humane
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sobola75(f): 12:36pm On Sep 25, 2007
will,

I advised my cousins in UK to invest in Nigerian stocks which he asked me to help him research on how he could go about it, how he would be monitoring it from UK and sort of. Could you please help me out. you could contact me through (sob_babatunde@yahoo.co.uk)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:40pm On Sep 25, 2007
temmie10, nice of you to let us know the koko behind japaul, i was wondering why it was pfferd at such a huge "discount"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 12:52pm On Sep 25, 2007
@ easimoni,
where can i get information on companies like their number of shares and all, the one i use is IBTC stock select and it doesnt cover all stocks, plus the fsdh update isnt always accurate .
and which magazines do u advise to read concerning news of companies listed on the NSE.
thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 12:57pm On Sep 25, 2007
shigidi:

temmie10, nice of you to let us know the koko behind japaul, i was wondering why it was pfferd at such a huge "discount"

Thanks for pointing this out shig, but i'd still like temmie10 to fully explain the major discrepancies he noticed. I am pretty concerned about this one because i am planning to go head, heart and body into it with a huge capital outlay!
What are the issues exactly, how do they affect the figures we all have been misled into believing? How do you think your figures can help convice or shed light into our investing if you treat it only topically? Please share the knowledge, i'd really appreciate a breakdown of figures or perhaps a copy of the propectus. you can mail me on whitelexi@sky.com

Many thanks as u do that
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sobola75(f): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2007
Members in the house,

Is it advisable for me to buy Japaul. This will be my first time of buying shares. Please, I'm waiting for your response.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:04pm On Sep 25, 2007
sobola, the best thing for you to do is calm down till we can fully analyse the prospectus then you wil know better. just chill for a while and keep ur eyes on this thread. shocked
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dwanna1(m): 1:11pm On Sep 25, 2007
at last people are now waking up to know that the easiest and coolest way of making money is thru the stock exchange.
for financial independence and slavery of ur work place bro and sis they buy shares based on performance,dividend payment history,earning per share ratio. novice ask for more explanation from ur stock brokers or throw the question to the house.we will be glad to reply
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sobola75(f): 1:16pm On Sep 25, 2007
Thanks Shigidi,

What you are saying now is that I can still buy it but I should wait till you come up with market analysis. You could pls keep me posted via this add sob_babatunde@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:19pm On Sep 25, 2007
no problem but also monitor this thread a lot. the offer lasts for six weeks so thers plenty of time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 1:20pm On Sep 25, 2007
Hey gurus in the house, no one has said anything about the NAHCO offer which closes this week. What is you take, to buy or not to buy,

Basically I am interested in medium to long term.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:23pm On Sep 25, 2007
today was a very very bearish day. almost all blue chips lost. all banks lost. incredible day.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dwanna1(m): 1:32pm On Sep 25, 2007
NACHO is a good stock for medium and long term basis.they have a good earning per share and a better prospect for growth.within five years it rose from #5 to #69 before dropping back to #22. we know why cos of the bonus issue
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2007
Thanks d-wanna.

But it seems we are not excited about the NAHCO offer here on nairaland.

You said most bank lost today, how much did WEMA close? And does anyone have an idea when Union bank will release their overdue resuls?

Temmie just sent you an email please could you reply, thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2007
Shigidi,

Just finished looking at it myself,

Very bearish indeed - Even crusader insurance went below 4.50,

Most of the losing stocks closed at the day lows. September indeed has proven once again to be a bearish month.

Will this trend continue till the end of the week?

Kenjo,

Check cashcraft.com - but I think wema closed at 9.49
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sobola75(f): 1:39pm On Sep 25, 2007
Shigidi,

Thanks for the info
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 1:48pm On Sep 25, 2007
Thanks Yodiyokun
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 1:57pm On Sep 25, 2007
I think its good to have some bearish periods, it only gives ground for bullish growth.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 2:04pm On Sep 25, 2007
Gurus, NAHCO or DF which would you buy, I have read all that has been written about DF on this thread, but my broker still insist its a good buy. I'm leaning towards NAHCO, I am very much a novice so this is not based on any fundamental analysis.

Replies much appreciated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 2:13pm On Sep 25, 2007
Kenjo:

Gurus, NAHCO or DF which would you buy, I have read all that has been written about DF on this thread, but my broker still insist its a good buy. I'm leaning towards NAHCO, I am very much a novice so this is not based on any fundamental analysis.

Replies much appreciated.

From what i see, DF seems to have the ability of faster returns, but NAHCO will get there, only its likely to take a bit more time.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2007
I bought 10,000 units of both NAHCO and Dangote Flour, lets see what will happen
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:34pm On Sep 25, 2007
@Kenjo
even though i am not a big fan, i'll go with Dangote Flour ahead of nahco.

@all
Those that wanted to take positions in fundamentally sound zeniths, gtbs, mbenefits etc, Hope you are watching the market now,
Prices are looking more attractive everyday
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 2:37pm On Sep 25, 2007
Temmie10:

@Kenjo
even though i am not a big fan, i'll go with Dangote Flour ahead of nahco.

@all
Those that wanted to take positions in fundamentally sound zeniths, gtbs, mbenefits etc, Hope you are watching the market now,
Prices are looking more attractive everyday

NAHCO is over valued!!!!! Don't see how they will be able to satisfy shareholders. The only attraction is the small quantity of outstanding shares. This will surely drive the price up with people looking forward to a repeat of the N5.00 to N70.00 capital appreciation of even the 3 for 2 bonus.

For me, one should take a break from the banks now. Apart from Oceanic, very few of them really looks attarctive.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2007
EVEN THOUGH WE GO THROUGH THE BEARISH PERIOD, WE WOULD HOLD ON AND REMAIN STEADFAST BECAUSE THE BULLS IN THE RING WOULD BE OUT SOON,

is it advisable to go long diamond,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 2:44pm On Sep 25, 2007
wanaj0:

NAHCO is over valued!!!!! Don't see how they will be able to satisfy shareholders. The only attraction is the small quantity of outstanding shares. This will surely drive the price up with people looking forward to a repeat of the N5.00 to N70.00 capital appreciation of even the 3 for 2 bonus.

For me, one should take a break from the banks now. Apart from Oceanic, very few of them really looks attarctive.

Wanaj0,

OK so Banks are not looking attractive, what else is out there? Let us know your thoughts - Because I am still ruminating on what instructions to give my broker today.

I am seriously looking at crusader ,law & union and wema - let me have your suggestions for /or against.

I think Wema is still O.K though, if you are ready to wait for 1 year be4 you see any appreciable gain.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:46pm On Sep 25, 2007
@ Shigidi,
You mentioned both my primary sources of outstanding shares. I tend to use the NSE website to fill in the blanks and run web searches to see if the company has issued new shares in the last 2 yrs (may not have made it to the NSE website if so). Ultimately, you need to keep your own records until someone develops a comprehensive/accurate website.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 2:48pm On Sep 25, 2007
yodiyokun:

Wanaj0,

OK so Banks are not looking attractive, what else is out there? Let us know your thoughts - Because I am still ruminating on what instructions to give my broker today.

I am seriously looking at crusader ,law & union and wema - let me have your suggestions for /or against.

I think Wema is still O.K though, if you are ready to wait for 1 year be4 you see any appreciable gain.

I vote Crusader in spite of the merger gist. the growth rate is phenomenal.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 3:06pm On Sep 25, 2007
Thanks Wanajo and Temmie, your inputs are well noted

(1) (2) (3) ... (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.