Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,797 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! (11450 Views)

Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / FG Slashes Civil Servants' Salaries Weeks Before Christmas Pix / FG Slashes November Salaries, Civil Servants Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by TAVOX: 7:17am On Jun 13, 2016
Hm
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Exponental(m): 7:20am On Jun 13, 2016
Most recruitments are political which causes overpopulation. However government can give directives on balancing the system. Secondly, when a government is focusing on a certain agenda, he leaves many redundant. Ministry of works in Lagos may not be as busy as those in Ogun state. Electrification in Ogun may not be as busy as Lagos, and the likes. Idleness makes them look lazy. Since they are employed, give them tasks and see if they will perform or not. As for late coming, I don't support that.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by defash8: 7:23am On Jun 13, 2016
That is part of the change I am expecting from Buhari/APC, not until our civil service becomes productive before we can move forward as a country. A situation where most of our budget takes care of less than 10million civil servants (FGN, states & LGAs) out of 170million people is not acceptable.

3 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Laredojohn(m): 7:28am On Jun 13, 2016
Op you might be true with some points, but definitely not all , the time of resumption, quite true, not as early as the private sector peeps, I work @ Lagos State, Ministry of Finance, the attitude to work is quite different at my end, where u find most of the old women and men, their attitudes are quite different from where u find the more younger generation of staff, we also make such complains if we have things to do together, for Lagos state most Ministry's are quite efficient to a level as compared to other states, the notion of getting daily tips isn't all true,it might b in some MDA's but definitely not all...Lagos keeps growing and progressing because the Civil Servants are putting in their best to the uplifting of the state.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by AlexanderDGreat: 7:45am On Jun 13, 2016
The pay is poor,,the employees do.not demand results from their workforce. The resultant effect is what u now see.
ayosco2008:
So I had my IT placement at ministry of energy in kwara state and all I can say is that I was so amazed at the attitude of the guys working at the ministry..

On my first day of resuming to work I was dere as early as 8am to my greatest surprise all offices were still closed.. I had to wait till around 10 before I could see the first worker coming in.. I later got to find out that was the normal time they come to work.. The interesting part is most of them come to work and all they do is talk and when is 2pm u see dem going home already... I kept asking myself that is this how lovely it is to work for the government?? But I got to find out that this guys add nothing to the value of the state and these same people will complain if their salary is delayed without adding any value to their place of work!!

Fast forward two years from that time I'm now a Corp member posted to Lagos and having my ppa at ministry of works in alausa ikeja.. Well the working condition here is a bit interesting. At least they come early to work... But one thing is still common to this civil servants.. "" Their attitude towards work"" We used 3 weeks to complete a registration we could have done just in 2 days!!

This attitude shown towards work by civil servants are one of the main reason why Nigeria is still so backward and under developed(my opinion though)

What do you guys think??

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by RotimiD: 7:47am On Jun 13, 2016
what Nigeria workers
need is what Nigeria herself need. "change of direction and reorientation" towards all it takes to be a nation and a national.
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by kingviny: 8:01am On Jun 13, 2016
This is the crux of the decadence in the country. Governments render their services via its civil service. Even with the best of policies and adequate funding, an un-professional civil service will always bastardize such initiatives. This is the main reason why we are not enjoying anything in this country.

The lower cadre civil servants are even the worst culprit, they are very kantakerous and lackadaisical . A massive and total civil service reform is urgently needed if this country is serious about moving forward. Let's not give excuse about their pay being small as a lot of people would pray to be in their shoes. Its about their attitude to work and the internal supervision system in the civil service. Which country in the world pays its civil servants like workers in the oil and gas sector ? yet their civil servants work professionally and conscienciously ! at least I am sure of that for all developed countries.

For your information, the 70% recurrent expenditure of government budget (our national cake) is primarily the salaries and emoluments of our mediocre civil service system and the government functionaries. These people eat a large chunk of our national income without rendering a pro rata service in return! Even the remaining 30% capital funds which you and I are supposed to benefit from (infrastructure) is story for the gods, kick back collection by super civil servants to facilitate contract approval to incompetent contractors who naturally will do a tacky job because the men to supervise them have all been settled are the order of the day!

We now have a President who can make the reform happen, we all just have to push him on this via collective agitation. If we sit arms akimbo, the cycle of a constantly falling Nigeria will never be halted.

The good ones among them should be identified and retained while the bad ones should be FIRED! If their unions make noise then use divide and rule to silence them. The greatest enemies of Nigeria's progress are : the politicians , the civil sevants and even the so-called partisan labour union.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by theophorus(m): 8:05am On Jun 13, 2016
...I think someone should investigate this "Public Servants" and charge them to court where necessary...

#Investigativejournalism
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by teemy(m): 8:05am On Jun 13, 2016
Guess the government has its own faults as if civil servants were doing their jobs earnestly several political mismanouvers would be exposed. Imagine an unexperienced staff being promoted his/her betters just because he/she knows or is a tribesman to oga and those you could report ifractions to are not interested while you the whistleblower becomes a target. The belief is your work does not promote you but man-Know-man.

Gov Oshiomole wanted to screen teachers as he believed there should be minimum productivity from staff but the teachers' union sabotaged it. If this administration is serious then mystery men should be used and evaluate the level of service delivered in all ministries. This time it would be easy to fire the lazy ones as there would be proof and promote the effective ones while others would be on their toes to perform better. Servicom has since shouted.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Nobody: 8:16am On Jun 13, 2016
abulqaqa:
For all those that are shouting the pay is small or not regular. I think you guys dosnt experience the attitude of civil servants towards works in this country, both federal and state level. Is just too poor, always look for promotion, allowances but they will never change or promote the work. They are so lazy, competing among themselfs, and spend their time in pursuit of political offices. They are not innovative, they don't care to research and always blame FG.
u nailed it!

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by victme1(m): 8:44am On Jun 13, 2016
@ Op, look at the road cleaners in most state, i tell you by quarter to Six Thirty, you will see them Road cleaners busy with their daily work. They are so committed that i wonder how much they are being paid .

Now enter into some ministry office, Men! Check their corridors, it has not seen broom in months. Check the surroundings grass everywhere.

What work are those people doing? chatting and debating either football or politics or party for the women folks.

Question is that the road cleaners, are they paid higher than the ministry staffs? Cause the road cleaners are contractual in nature.

BY THE WAY! DO YOU NOTICE THAT MINISTRY STAFF WALK VERY SLOWLY you can never see them in a haste Walahi!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by manmidtexy(m): 8:54am On Jun 13, 2016
ayosco2008:
So I had my IT placement at ministry of energy in kwara state and all I can say is that I was so amazed at the attitude of the guys working at the ministry..

On my first day of resuming to work I was dere as early as 8am to my greatest surprise all offices were still closed.. I had to wait till around 10 before I could see the first worker coming in.. I later got to find out that was the normal time they come to work.. The interesting part is most of them come to work and all they do is talk and when is 2pm u see dem going home already... I kept asking myself that is this how lovely it is to work for the government?? But I got to find out that this guys add nothing to the value of the state and these same people will complain if their salary is delayed without adding any value to their place of work!!

Fast forward two years from that time I'm now a Corp member posted to Lagos and having my ppa at ministry of works in alausa ikeja.. Well the working condition here is a bit interesting. At least they come early to work... But one thing is still common to this civil servants.. "" Their attitude towards work"" We used 3 weeks to complete a registration we could have done just in 2 days!!

This attitude shown towards work by civil servants are one of the main reason why Nigeria is still so backward and under developed(my opinion though)

What do you guys think??

Same experience. You did a very good and patriotic observation and to spit it out as well.

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by eyinjuege: 8:57am On Jun 13, 2016
OP, if I may ask you, how did you get your job at the ministry you're presently working. Can you honestly swear it wasn't through someone who gave you a note to go meet someone in the ministry?
Most ministry workers enter through that route really, and since it's man know man method, they tend to do as they please.
If merit is used as in most sane countries, then things would be better.
My opinion though

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Nobody: 9:13am On Jun 13, 2016
SultanOfBrunei:
very lazy bunch.

I was at a local government for some stamp duties, the woman was chewing groundnut, told me to sit down, I realized there was another also waiting for her,
meanwhile she has to finish her groundnut before attending to us,
i was in a hurry so i stood again to explain that i was there just for one or two stamps, she said in quote "Oga wait now, there are people here before you"
speechless i was, but in my mind i was like -
WTF - if there were people here before me what are you still eating groundnuts for, get the fvck up and get to work!!

just like someone said, its a systematic syndrome here in nigeria. even in financial firms.
banks have to automate a machine-voice-messenger to tell you "welcome to ***Bank, or "thank you for banking with us"
because their human staff cant even smile at a customer let alone thanking you .... they frown face like say na you cause their life problems. cheesy

haha so much of a typical attitudes of most civil servants.Anyway civil service job na flexing job and especially those ones in federal parastatals.All they do is gossip,drink coke and chop rice with kpomo or maybe kwili kwili with groundnutcheesy.Well as for bank staffs yu dont expect dem to smile na when most of them are being overworked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Horllamideh(m): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2016
victme1:
@ Op, look at the road cleaners in most state, i tell you by quarter to Six Thirty, you will see them Road cleaners busy with their daily work. They are so committed that i wonder how much they are being paid .

Now enter into some ministry office, Men! Check their corridors, it has not seen broom in months. Check the surroundings grass everywhere.

What work are those people doing? chatting and debating either football or politics or party for the women folks.

Question is that the road cleaners, are they paid higher than the ministry staffs? Cause the road cleaners are contractual in nature.

BY THE WAY! DO YOU NOTICE THAT MINISTRY STAFF WALK VERY SLOWLY you can never see them in a haste Walahi!
They rejected me at one ministry at IMO state Secretariat for NYSC because they can't offer accommodation and transport fare (something I am aware of before) and more importantly the fact that I won't be coming to work everyday....I waited for the same woman for over four hours gisting with workers in her ministry discussing how okorocha is planning a mass layoff for them, no generator in the ministry.....their computer are all dusty cos they are useless. 80% of ministry workers are not needed I swear, all they do everyday is by tomato, vegetables and ata rodo.
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by vickylala239: 9:30am On Jun 13, 2016
ayosco2008:

What do you guys think??

How much are they paid.....What are you thinking my guy.....

When minimum wage is 18k......imagine Wat 18k can do to a married man.....

Do u xpect dem to depend on d peanut govt pay them?.....that's WHY Mst of them are corrupt....

They culd Nt Evn increase minimum wage to 45k,while senators r going home with 5M a month....Evn with very xpensive cars....

Personally if civil servant go to work my 1pm I Dnt blame them...

What do u think make engineers cover their self with dirty grease oil and all that....it is the money....

What do u think Mke workers go to oil platform on the sea,which is extremely risk....is the money...

WHY do our senators kill and anything to kill,Jst to get into Senate house....is money....

Pay civil servant well and u will see them waiting for you by 6am....Evn praying for day to break....

Wen u enter the premises how many cars did u see park their,Hw mny clean cars did you....Xcept for client who came to do wrk.....

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by vickylala239: 9:34am On Jun 13, 2016
victme1:

WHY shuld Dey hurry wen Dey are being paid 10naria.....do u knw What Dey are thinking....they are thinking Hw much will remain of their salary after offsetting d debt...

Hw can someone work and can't save...I Hv been in contact with Mst of them....if they open up to u....u will b shock

2 Likes

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by Odogwuskido(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2016
SultanOfBrunei:
very lazy bunch.

I was at a local government for some stamp duties, the woman was chewing groundnut, told me to sit down, I realized there was another also waiting for her,
meanwhile she has to finish her groundnut before attending to us,
i was in a hurry so i stood again to explain that i was there just for one or two stamps, she said in quote "Oga wait now, there are people here before you"
speechless i was, but in my mind i was like -
WTF - if there were people here before me what are you still eating groundnuts for, get the fvck up and get to work!!

just like someone said, its a systematic syndrome here in nigeria. even in financial firms.
banks have to automate a machine-voice-messenger to tell you "welcome to ***Bank, or "thank you for banking with us"
because their human staff cant even smile at a customer let alone thanking you .... they frown face like say na you cause their life problems. cheesy

So so on point! In the case of banks' staffs and the way they squeezed their faces in paying you your own money is kinda strange though

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ashatoda: 9:51am On Jun 13, 2016
veight:
Wat do expect......wen majority of dem civil servants are running thier trade or biz somewhere else......

They'll go in d morning and open shop.....leave the boy boy to sell market and den come back around 2 to do inventory.
after they retire what do you think they amount to? Nothing! Cos you cant shortchange a process without paying back later
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by iswallker(m): 10:20am On Jun 13, 2016
you havent seen anything yet... sad
i work with government...
i got 3 queries for saying a contractor had not fulfilled the terms of his contract, and therefore was not due for payment..
apparently my boss had a different opinion; he claimed the contract was 100% complete...

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by nsamchizzy: 12:14pm On Jun 13, 2016
There attitude to work is very bad though, especially al these non academic staff in fed.uni's. They will try to frustrate u like if u resemble their wicked uncle in the village.

But sometimes it's lack of motivation while some are paid peanuts as salary.

Even in private firms which I work with...sometimes u feel so lazy going to work because of delay in salary which u ve already spent ahead of payment in debt.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by tosinjay(m): 12:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
ayosco2008:

What do you guys think??

Op i think same and worse, when i hear civil servants complaining about salaries i say to myself they are not worth it. They do virtually nothing and make big deal off of nothing much, a job that can be handled merely by giving in 2hrs of concentration will be handled in 2 weeks and they'll be making it seem like they've worked the whole world's job at the end.

I believe federal civil servants are the worse sets

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 12:48pm On Jun 13, 2016
eyinjuege:
OP, if I may ask you, how did you get your job at the ministry you're presently working. Can you honestly swear it wasn't through someone who gave you a note to go meet someone in the ministry?
Most ministry workers enter through that route really, and since it's man know man method, they tend to do as they please.
If merit is used as in most sane countries, then things would be better.
My opinion though

You r very wrong sir/ma.. I'm a serving Corp member.. I was posted to ministry of works. To say the fact, guys here at Lagos State ministry are trying. That's why Lagos is moving forward.. But they still have some staff here that all dey r good at is to boss up in staff buses.. And when u go to some local governments it's even worse.

I see some peeps here talking about the pay.. For them to take up the job, it's an agreement that they will carry out their duties with all commitment.. So it's expected of them to give it their all no matter the pay.

The reasons of these behaviours from staffs are many.. I just hope I can get to an administrative position one day and make a change.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2016
tosinjay:

Op i think same and worse, when i hear civil servants complaining about salaries i say to myself they are not worth it. They do virtually nothing and make big deal off of nothing much, a job that can be handled merely by giving in 2hrs of concentration will be handled in 2 weeks and they'll be making it seem like they've worked the whole world's job at the end.

I believe federal civil servants are the worse sets

You are very right Bro.. They make a 2hrs job seem like a 1 month job. It's just so crazy. Our general attitude need to change in this country
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 12:59pm On Jun 13, 2016
vickylala239:

WHY shuld Dey hurry wen Dey are being paid 10naria.....do u knw What Dey are thinking....they are thinking Hw much will remain of their salary after offsetting d debt...

Hw can someone work and can't save...I Hv been in contact with Mst of them....if they open up to u....u will b shock

My dear. I don't think the problem is d pay.. The fact is that in any job u do, u are paid according to what u can deliver.. When u r fully skilled up.. You gonna dictate your pay..

This so called civil servants Will serve for 20 years and won't even pick up the smallest of skills.. And u expect them to be paid big. That's not possible..

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by tosinjay(m): 1:03pm On Jun 13, 2016
ayosco2008:

You are very right Bro.. They make a 2hrs job seem like a 1 month job. It's just so crazy. Our general attitude need to change in this country
I cannot say it all. Because i have over 5yrs experience of working at NPA, Apapa.

What makes most civil servants work more when you see them, just be curious. They tend to perform their duty mostly when there's bribe or extra gains in that job and you see them lobbying for the seat.

1 Like

Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 1:11pm On Jun 13, 2016
Horllamideh:

They rejected me at one ministry at IMO state Secretariat for NYSC because they can't offer accommodation and transport fare (something I am aware of before) and more importantly the fact that I won't be coming to work everyday....I waited for the same woman for over four hours gisting with workers in her ministry discussing how okorocha is planning a mass layoff for them, no generator in the ministry.....their computer are all dusty cos they are useless. 80% of ministry workers are not needed I swear, all they do everyday is by tomato, vegetables and ata rodo.

You said it all
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2016
donbrowser:
The reasons to their lackadical attitudes is not far-fetched
1. It could be due to lack of motivation and deprivation of incentives which could have boosted their morales to work.
2. Round peg in square hole: when a chemist is working as a secretary, you can't expect less.
3. Many of them are old, i have been to that Alausa before and you will imagine a woman using 20 minutes to type a paragraph simply because she reduces her DOB every year.
4. Some of them are suffering from psychological belief of "you can't kill yourself for government work".
If the government can motivate the workers and they refuse to change their attitudes, they should be reminded that many graduates are praying for them to get sacked!!!

**To the poster above me, who told you they don't get paid, Alausa is the best place to work in Nigeria after Aso Rock.
1. Job Security
2. Daily Tipping
What they earn daily from "tipping" and gifts everyday is far more than their salary.

I know of a "bros" in my area that goes to work in Alausa only on selected days that "tipping" is sure.**
Good morning NL.

I agree with all you sir
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ichito(m): 1:32pm On Jun 13, 2016
Do U believe that mama ngozi wey dey fry akara na civil servant....she no fit go work unless she finish the asking of akara.
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by ayosco2008(m): 1:41pm On Jun 13, 2016
quote author=Flexherbal post=46523262]Don't they have supervisors?[/quote]

Sure dey do. Supervisor sef no dey come work
Re: Civil Servants And Their Attitude To Work!!!! by DaMotivator(m): 2:53pm On Jun 13, 2016
well i work in a federal Agency, and i can only speak for myself...am efficient and up and doing....i think its systemic issue sha...d system does not encourage competitiveness, so we should start from the top cleaning d system...so the workers can be up and doing...my two cent sha....make i return to work sha...make i nor cum be like people wey i dey criticize...lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where Can You Work As An International Relations Graduate? / A Teaching Job In Benin Or A Microfinance Bank Job In Lagos? / Should I Further My Education Or Learn A Skill To Help My Family?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.