Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... (1939 Views)

Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / 5 Beautiful Wives Of Our Governors / The Executive Alone Can’t Enjoy Immunity – Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Izonpikin: 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2016
This is a question I have always asked....

Please why do our useless god forsaken governors (all of them) enjoy immunity.....I put it to everyone that the day our governors are stripped off their immunity then can they be held accountable for their actions and inactions and at the same time work for the people.... angry

Imagine a nigerian society where true federalism is practiced and all governors of our 36 states made to work for the people without shielding themselves with immunity...!!!....

We all shout change and clamor for change yet we still think our inept governors should hold on to their immunity...

Imagine my state bayelsa where a very ugly looking governor won't and can't pay salaries but will turn around to curse the same people who voted his ugly assS to be governor... angry angry

Just imagine. ..!!!

I am so angry with our country and the template or structure on which this country runs. ..We can't make progress , I repeat we can't make progress until such changes are made to foster development...

How can our governors be stripped of their immunity...
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Abeymills(m): 8:46pm On Jun 09, 2016
N y do president enjoy immunity?
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Montaque(m): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2016
We as a country never practiced a home grown popular constIiitution. All we have had since 1960 is an imposed laws thought out by few mighty men.
We as young nigerians have lot of questions to ask as to our structural basis as a country.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by faaiz4ever(m): 9:27pm On Jun 09, 2016
I share the same view. Remove immunity and the governors will sit up. Please lalasticlala put this on FP and let more people share their views maybe this can get the required attention. Thanks
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Izonpikin: 9:42pm On Jun 09, 2016
Montaque:
We as a country never practiced a home grown popular constIiitution. All we have had since 1960 is an imposed laws thought out by few mighty men.
We as young nigerians have lot of questions to ask as to our structural basis as a country.
exactly...structurally nigeria is flawed...how can we make progress when we can't hold our governors accountable...just how..We can't. ..
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Izonpikin: 9:49pm On Jun 09, 2016
Abeymills:
N y do president enjoy immunity?
we can manage with the president covered by immunity as the commander in chief...but why should our filthy governors who do nothing enjoy immunity...?...just take a look at what out governors do to us and tell me if immunity shouldn't be taken off them.. angry

A governor is elected, steals money from the state coffers and all we have to do is wait until his tenure ends to even prObe him..

How can we move forward...Our Constitution needs serious restructuring...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 1:31am On Jun 10, 2016
Izonpikin:

Please why do our useless god forsaken governors (all of them) enjoy immunity.....I put it to everyone that the day our governors are stripped off their immunity then can they be held accountable for their actions and inactions and at the same time work for the people.... angry

Imagine a nigerian society where true federalism is practiced and all governors of our 36 states made to work for the people without shielding themselves with immunity...!!!....

We all shout change and clamor for change yet we still think our inept governors should hold on to their immunity...

Imagine my state bayelsa where a very ugly looking governor won't and can't pay salaries but will turn around to curse the same people who voted his ugly assS to be governor... angry angry

Just imagine. ..!!!

I am so angry with our country and the template or structure on which this country runs. ..We can't make progress , I repeat we can't make progress until such changes are made to foster development...

1. the constitution(rule book) says so
2.too many frivolous suits would be filed on daily basis thereby hampering any productive anything
3. still doesn't matter cos they will just bribe the lawyers and judges and witnesses and police(like wike is doing now)
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Izonpikin: 6:00am On Jun 10, 2016
mikolo80:

2.too many frivolous suits would be filed on daily basis thereby hampering any productive anything
3. still doesn't matter cos they will just bribe the lawyers and judges and witnesses and police(like wike is doing now)

For how long would they bribe their way through......changing our structure will be a start for the change we clamor for...if citizens put hands together to sue a foolish governor I wonder what court can save him...your scares is what might make nigeria stagnant...We need to think positive in achieving goals to move forward as a country...

Wike case is a case of fighting the opposition...I am speaking of the masses fighting against the government for accountability...nothing can save a governor from that...

As of now there's nothing we can do. ..We just have to sit down and watch a governor maltreatment us just because we can't even indict the governor...
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 2:15pm On Jun 10, 2016
Izonpikin:

For how long would they bribe their way through......changing our structure will be a start for the change we clamor for...if citizens put hands together to sue a foolish governor I wonder what court can save him...your scares is what might make nigeria stagnant...We need to think positive in achieving goals to move forward as a country...
for as long as they don't want to go to jail and people(lawyers,judges,police,witnesses) are hungry and have no scruples
Wike case is a case of fighting the opposition...I am speaking of the masses fighting against the government for accountability...nothing can save a governor from that...
people who will sell their vote for 3 cups of rice and useless flyovers cannot stop anybody from anything,thwere is hunger in the land
As of now there's nothing we can do. ..We just have to sit down and watch a governor maltreatment us just because we can't even indict the governor...
there is alot wwe can do but court is aa very very minor onee until economy is fixed and ppl are not hungry
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Emyogalanya: 2:39pm On Aug 04, 2016
Vip now
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Elruhamah: 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2016
They enjoy immunity because it enables them to get away with impunity.
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Emyogalanya: 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2016
That's how lugards country was programmed not for progress but exploitation. A country made with just one unhealthy reason : administrative convenience . To whose benefit : UK . Its not created for progress so whoever gets there does that for same purpose and all policies point to same thing. If only u can recall ahead bello speech r12 Oct 1960 then u will get the drift . Back to bayelsa take a look at the market road under bridge worn out roads yet frsc has the guts to arrest poor drivers for using worn out tires . Who then arrests the government for the worn out roads that actually kill the tires of the drivers? I'm rather than take away immunities let them devise a means where gov. Who don't work should be stopped from receiving tax etc . Without immunity legal suits can distract them like diction sylva case. God bless ss/se people
Izonpikin:

Just imagine. ..!!!

Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by davidif: 9:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
Emyogalanya:
That's how lugards country was programmed not for progress but exploitation. A country made with just one unhealthy reason : administrative convenience . To whose benefit : UK . Its not created for progress so whoever gets there does that for same purpose and all policies point to same thing. If only u can recall ahead bello speech r12 Oct 1960 then u will get the drift . Back to bayelsa take a look at the market road under bridge worn out roads yet frsc has the guts to arrest poor drivers for using worn out tires . Who then arrests the government for the worn out roads that actually kill the tires of the drivers? I'm rather than take away immunities let them devise a means where gov. Who don't work should be stopped from receiving tax etc . Without immunity legal suits can distract them like diction sylva case. God bless ss/se people

So you prefer the status quo? Na wa o. No one should be above the law. I would prefer the governor face lawsuits than to be free from accountability. That's what they call the rule of law and withour it, this country can't reach it's potential.

As far as i am concerned, the Governor should only be immune from civil lawsuits and not from criminal charges like corruption.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by davidif: 9:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
mikolo80:

1. You have to write a constitution that reflects your society.
2. The Governor needs to be accountable to his constituents and that means not being protected from criminal charges (not civil lawsuits).
3. The Attorney generals and state judges should be elected by the people just like the Governor is. This is how things work in a lot advanced democracies.
4. There should also be a provision in each states constitution that allows for a governor to be recalled (a mandate for a new election) If the people don't have confidence in him like they do in California.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by davidif: 9:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
Izonpikin:
we can manage with the president covered by immunity as the commander in chief...but why should our filthy governors who do nothing enjoy immunity...?...just take a look at what out governors do to us and tell me if immunity shouldn't be taken off them.. angry

A governor is elected, steals money from the state coffers and all we have to do is wait until his tenure ends to even prObe him..

How can we move forward...Our Constitution needs serious restructuring...

In addition to that need to stop allocation.
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Izonpikin: 9:53pm On Sep 25, 2016
davidif:

In addition to that need to stop allocation.
exactly..let the governors work hard to generate revenue and ensure growth of the state..create employment for the teeming youths.. angry
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 1:21am On Sep 26, 2016
davidif:

1. You have to write a constitution that reflects your society. who is the ''you '' that will rewrite the constitution
2. The Governor needs to be accountable to his constituents and that means not being protected from criminal charges (not civil lawsuits). who will hold these ones accountable
With these our mumu voters

3. The Attorney generals and state judges should be elected by the people just like the Governor is. This is how things work in a lot advanced democracies. you go'n to change the rules boss?
4. There should also be a provision in each states constitution that allows for a governor to be recalled (a mandate for a new election) If the people don't have confidence in him like they do in California.
it's called impeachment
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by davidif: 9:29pm On Sep 26, 2016
mikolo80:
it's called impeachment

Wow!!! talk about an unproductive debate. I just came up with suggestions and ideas that are better than the status quo and you shot all of them down without even suggesting a reasonable alternative? See waste of time. Abeg, if you don't have any good suggestions then why even bother to respond?
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 10:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
davidif:

Wow!!! talk about an unproductive debate. I just came up with suggestions and ideas that are better than the status quo and you shot all of them down without even suggesting a reasonable alternative? See waste of time. Abeg, if you don't have any good suggestions then why even bother to respond?
this is how people fail in life and blame others.
You made suggestions
I asked you win will bell the cat
You got annoyed
Politics is not your forte my friend.
Better quick to the Kardashians or premier league
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 10:16pm On Sep 27, 2016
davidif:

You made suggestions
You got annoyed
Better quick to the Kardashians or premier league if you cannot answer intelligentl
Who will implement all the pipe dreams you listed
Who I ask
You? That can not face the truth?
I laugh in Mongolian
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by davidif: 4:54am On Sep 28, 2016
mikolo80:
You made suggestions
You got annoyed
Better quick to the Kardashians or premier league

Wrong! I thought I was having a constructive debate with someone else about why the status quo was unacceptable. I rebutted his own arguements while suggesting a better alternative.

Its not as if i am just expecting naija legislators to adopt them, its just a debate and with any good debate the opposition has to offer a different suggestion in there counterargument. Just shooting down someone's argument is not good enough anyone can do that you have to take it a step further and offer your own.

So Mr. Man, the floor is now yours...
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by Blue3k(m): 5:57am On Sep 28, 2016
I think they have to much power in general. Everyone here makes it seem like the govenors make or break state. Which is strange for an office that only operates 2 4year terms max. Why doesn't legislative branch have more power instead of being yes men. They pass buffets and fail to pay workers, fail to oversea state departments like land and road management, etc.
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by mikolo80: 5:20pm On Sep 28, 2016
davidif:

Wrong! I thought I was having a constructive debate with someone else about why the status quo was unacceptable. I rebutted his own arguements while suggesting a better alternative.

Its not as if i am just expecting naija legislators to adopt them, its just a debate and with any good debate the opposition has to offer a different suggestion in there counterargument. Just shooting down someone's argument is not good enough anyone can do that you have to take it a step further and offer your own.

So Mr. Man, the floor is now yours...
o It was a debate
My bad
I thought we were trying to pinpoint the problems
But I guess we are only interested in symptoms
Sorry for wasting our time
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by slimfit1(m): 5:49pm On Sep 28, 2016
Because the rest of us are stupid now .
Re: Why Do Our Governors Enjoy Immunity??... by DerrickzB: 6:12pm On Sep 28, 2016
Direct the question to 1.The armed forces.. they wrote our Constitution .. 2. Past and present civilian government for having not reviewed the constitution because it solely fabors their damn asses... *pissed*

(1) (Reply)

Is Fani kayode now a born again Christian or Agent of division? / People Will Soon Be Charged To Court For What They Post On Social Media- El Rufa / Navy Purchase Of Aba Made - Another Punch In The Nose For Ipob

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.