Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,156 members, 7,818,501 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye (4237 Views)

I Am Igbo And I Support Operation Python Dance 100% / Lagos Declares June 12 As Public Holiday / I Support Wike And PDP In New York - Man (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by hansyllo(m): 11:22pm On Jun 12, 2016
A federal lawmaker, Senator Dino Melaye, has joined many other Nigerians in advocating the recognition of June 12 as Nigeria’s Democracy Day.

He was speaking on Channels Television’s political programme, Sunday Politics, as Nigerians marked the 23rd anniversary of the June 12, 1993 presidential election widely acclaimed to be the freest and fairest in the country’s history.

The poll is believed to have been won by business mogul and philanthropist, Chief Moshood Abiola but was annulled by the then military regime of General Ibrahim Babangida.

Chief Abiola later died in custody on July 7, 1998 following his arrest and detention by the regime of General Sani Abacha, for attempting to actualise his mandate.

Senator Melaye said, “Without gainsaying, one will say that it is mandatory, pertinent and obligatory and it is a bitter necessity that as a government and as a people, we do recognise the historical significance of June 12.

“I am one of the advocates of declaring that day as our Democracy Day because it has a lot of historical and revolutionary value.

“I will support that that day be declared our Democracy Day and we should continue to herald that, we should continue to agitate that and I’m sure someday sometime, reason and logic will come to play.”

Struggle For Emancipation

He said that the reason why June 12 is not yet recognised nationally is because most politicians or people in government do not understand the significance of the day.

Melaye said that not every Nigeria politician is a democrat, “Only democrats will understand the significance of June 12.

“But when those who do not even believe in the tenets and doctrines of democracy find themselves in position of authority, they may not actually recognise the struggle that brought about the June 12 victory.”

Speaking further on the significance of June 12 if recognised as Democracy Day, Senator Melaye explained, “Every struggle has the impetus to propel people to the next level. Today most public holidays in the United States of America are significant and have positive concomitant effects with some revolutionary struggle.

“The June 12 struggle for me was a struggle for emancipation, freedom and departure from the old order and giving it that historical resonance by recognising that date will have a resultant effect on Nigeria’s political evolution now and in the future.”

http://www.channelstv.com/2016/06/12/support-june-12-democracy-day-dino-melaye/

1 Like

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by lacasera14(m): 6:49am On Jun 13, 2016
I support too

so what's special about this FTC and making it to front page sef?
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by meccuno: 7:20am On Jun 13, 2016
Democracy day. Funny people

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by allisonluvsu(m): 7:54am On Jun 13, 2016
Issorite, after u acted as if u never supported N145 pump price but u supported it secretly if not, why have we not seen the protest u promised? Nigeria's problem is not dat Democracy date, Nigeria's problem atleast Pump price,unemployement,cost of living.. Irrelevant issues that won't better d common Nigerian man is what is being discussed. Gov't Killing us since 1980sAD and they come with different slogan after each 4yrs.No support for any party abeg.... Just speaking my mind Joor

4 Likes

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by hucienda: 7:55am On Jun 13, 2016
Usual empty rhetoric on Abiola till same date, the following year.

Obasanjo- a fellow yoruba was there, he didn't do anything.
Yar'Adua. Nothing.
Jonathan. Attempted immortalising him. Rejected by Abiola's people.
Buhari. Same same.

Anyway, Nigerians are already used to the eye-service empty rhetoric around the date. Till next year.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Hardaysheenar(m): 7:55am On Jun 13, 2016
So we sud start jumping abi?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by 5starmilitant: 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
Oga you're on your own.

1 Like

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by slap1(m): 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
What will it change?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by truthspeaks: 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
And how does dis put fud on my table or hlp d bad economy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Orestino(m): 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
Books my space.. *Grabs Chapman and Pizza*
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by adaksbullet: 7:56am On Jun 13, 2016
Who his akesd u too sorport june12 has democrasy date?angryangry who his no dodo mileye on our naija contry?undecided who his ur fadaa on our contry?undecided....mtcheeeeeeangry

1 Like

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:57am On Jun 13, 2016
NLanders! Today is my birthday

Pls show some love by clicking the LIKE button

3 Likes

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by ruffDiamond: 7:58am On Jun 13, 2016
undecided we know yr type go support Judas Iscariot for the right amount worthless and valueless politician mtchewww

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by mrvitalis(m): 7:58am On Jun 13, 2016
.. .... Abiola would have been the worst thing to happen to Nigeria,.... Don't ask me how

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Mayany(m): 8:01am On Jun 13, 2016
What the fuse about democracy day when we are yet to practice true democracy?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by engrajoo1(m): 8:04am On Jun 13, 2016
Dusappearung by inbetween mr dino u ar an elected senator y not move a motion for dat in one of d plenaries and let c d reaction of other so called democrats
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by ruffDiamond: 8:07am On Jun 13, 2016
Abiola was a thief and criminal says Fela tongue ole GBE ole GBA simple cheesy grin

I be confirmed Yoruba I don't support criminality, corrupt and fraudulent enrichment MKO STOLE NIGERIA MONEY THROUGH ITT cheesy YEAH u guess right ..international thief thief cheesy

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by emamos: 8:08am On Jun 13, 2016
adaksbullet:
Who his akesd u too sorport june12 has democrasy date?angryangry who his no dodo mileye on our naija contry?undecided who his ur fadaa on our contry?undecided....mtcheeeeeeangry
meaning pls?
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Dymaco(m): 8:11am On Jun 13, 2016
how will this make Nigeria better

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by lmm4real: 8:15am On Jun 13, 2016
1999 where was dino

1 Like

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Bodmas94(m): 8:45am On Jun 13, 2016
I also support the idea. It's a very good one. But I must say that I was very suprised at the kind of personality which Dino is. He is blunt, fearless, ambitious if not overambitious. But i like his daring aspirations. On that programme, he announced to the world that he has the intention of contending for president of the country in nearest future. I would say everyone has a right to that dream. However, what i don't seem to like is his total loyalty to the senate president as if he is his god. I guess that is one of the laws of power. On a final note, Dino did not leave the programme without cracking us up as usual! Imagine, he said the wardrobe allowance of a senator is #42,000. And i was like that outfit on him, was it bought in Kotangora in Lagos? This man with so many luxurious cars will never seem to amaze us. Keep it on Senator!
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Drsheddy(m): 9:09am On Jun 13, 2016
facelessangel:
Google

Loll ...
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by godunia(m): 9:33am On Jun 13, 2016
Drama king

Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Dojupyo(f): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2016
Why would we change the Democracy day
What's the significance of that day?

May 29th has been the Democracy day for years now...
Mey una park one side... Funny tribe

Even if the date is changed, what's the diff, we haven't really practiced the so called "Democracy"
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by Horus(m): 10:02am On Jun 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip5uf2j0vaI

[size=14pt]I Will Be President Of Nigeria -- Dino Melaye[/size]
Re: I Support June 12 As Democracy Day — Dino Melaye by MrNicer: 10:11am On Jun 13, 2016
The Public holiday when Nigeria get, e neva reach?

(1) (Reply)

Why Did The Independence Dove Refuse To Fly? (pics) / Biafra-Panic As Yakubu Gowon, Obasanjo,TY Danjuma, IBB,Others To Join Buhari ICC / Amaechi Spoke Fluent Igbo Concerning Railway Development To BBC WORLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.