Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:26 PM

Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter (27621 Views)

"I'm Never Buying Expensive Clothes For My Kids Again" - Seun Kuti / Seun Kuti: "Yahoo Boys Are Still Mugus To The Whites" / Femi And Seun Kuti Perform In New York Together (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by chimauga(m): 8:51pm On Jun 14, 2016
I wonder of june12 just come and go like that, no yellow bar state celebrated the usual M.K.O JUNE12 event, cos they are in power, yellow fevers
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Ibime(m): 9:18pm On Jun 14, 2016
Abiola was a thief.

Cunny man die, cunny man bury am.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jun 14, 2016
NovusHomo:

F-U-C-C Fela! God knows how many women he infected with the Aids virus.
Receive sense my broda

1 Like

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by NovusHomo(m): 9:25pm On Jun 14, 2016
omonnakoda:
OK I will see Ebenezer Obey tomorrow at the beer parlour I will ask him

No, try his church; omo ti o da. grin
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by tuk2ato(m): 9:28pm On Jun 14, 2016
Guy please how can i get his full album, the man understood Nigeria so well! MKO was a friend of the military and financed some coups, until the military turned on him, Karma is a biatccch!
frubben:
Fela my man. Fela is one man that was always saying the plain truth in all facet of life. I still have his full album on my phone
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Surfboard(m): 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2016
elisra:
making kaduna chukwuma nzeogwu a true Nigerian.
Okotie Eboh,Zik,Awo,Armadu Bello and Akintola are all criminals.
That line in our anthem were we say the labors of our heroes past makes me ask"what heroes"?
Unless if they are referring to the five majors.

Lol, these civilians you called played important patriotic roles at one point or the other. They took some wrong decisions at the time, no doubt, but they were still good men.

As for the '5 majors', even though their intentions were good, the fact that they didn't succeed would mean what they did will always have a criminal undertone, depending on which side of the fence you are. To some they're heroes, to others, villains.

P.S: they were more than 5 though.

1 Like

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by elisra(m): 9:59pm On Jun 14, 2016
Surfboard:

Lol, these civilians you called played important patriotic roles at one point or the other. They took some wrong decisions at the time, no doubt, but they were still good men.

As for the '5 majors', even though their intentions were good, the fact that they didn't succeed would mean what they did will always have a criminal undertone, depending on which side of the fence you are. To some they're heroes, to others, villains.

P.S: they were more than 5 though.
ur so-called patriots are ethnic champions at best.
If there is a patriot there,its zik but they laid this faulty foundation we are grappling with now.
When u think of zik's financial crime with ACB African continental bank and u remember okotie eboh's inflated contracts and flamboyant lifestyle and armadu bello was busy grooming vipers like murtalas ibbs abachas yar aduas to perpetuate his born to rule agenda,u will just forget about these generational mistakes called unfounded fathers.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by tylerbraid(m): 10:29pm On Jun 14, 2016
Caveatemptor:
The real story is that Fela was on Decca label owned by Abiola. There was an argument over record sales and royalties, so Fela and his 27 queens and all his band boys headed for Decca records and illegally occupied the place for days until they were ejected by the police. Fela then hired some night soilsmen called agbepoo to go and dump buckets of poo poo(shit) in front of Abiolas house over night such that the occupants could not exit the house in the morning.
Seun should get his facts right please.
oh wow... You must have been part of the fela family & a much more senior sibling to seun to discredit his account of the "true & actual" story.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by mohbobo: 10:59pm On Jun 14, 2016
bigtt76:
Most likely Chief Tabansi. He owned a record label which also had Majek Father back in the days. He usually short-handed his artists grin
Fridayvictor:

Receive sense my broda
yu actually blif d legend fela died of AIDS, have yu ever asked urself ao many of d wives had died of d disease
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Nobody: 12:19am On Jun 15, 2016
Caveatemptor:
The real story is that Fela was on Decca label owned by Abiola. There was an argument over record sales and royalties, so Fela and his 27 queens and all his band boys headed for Decca records and illegally occupied the place for days until they were ejected by the police. Fela then hired some night soilsmen called agbepoo to go and dump buckets of poo poo(shit) in front of Abiolas house over night such that the occupants could not exit the house in the morning.
seems you know the father more than the son. Definitely someone out there knows your father more than u do am I right?
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by sunshine1974(m): 1:52am On Jun 15, 2016
Caveatemptor:
so u now know more than the son of the man himself? Smh
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by sunshine1974(m): 1:57am On Jun 15, 2016
Fela lived more accomplished life than MKO, fela was never corrupt but MKO was....MKO was even helping the military launder cash abroad, he was just like the military, his hands were not clean, that was why it was easy for dem to deal with him d way they did.......no doubt he won the election overwhelmingly but I believe he got served in his own coin
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by izzieman: 3:25am On Jun 15, 2016
I.T.T. -
(International Telephone and Telegraph) An American Tele-communications Company
Has many contracts to modernize P&T (Post and Telecommunications) including N.E.T Nigerian External Communications all of which became Nitel

Abiola
Murtala Muhammed was Federal Communications Commissioner (Equivalent of today's Minister), Abiola and Murtala are friends
Accounts Officer in I.T.T., Got wind of affair the African Regional Manager was having with Nigerian Lady, Got compromising pictures and blackmailed the man to appoint him MD for Nigeria or pictures will go to wife in US.
Abiola becomes head of I.T.T Nigeria and VP Africa and Middle East
1975 July Murtala Muhammed becomes Military Head of State in (What we call President today),
I.T.T. gets contract to lay copper wire for Telecom all across the country
Gets killed 6 months later in Feb 1976
Obasanjo becomes Military Head of State,
Obasanjo starts programme to return Nigeria to Civil rule
Abiola joins National Party of Nigeria NPN with people like Shagari
Abiola starts Newspaper group Concord Group
1978 - Soldiers threw down Fela's mother from a second Floor
window. She died a few months later. No autopsies, so it was not known if that was the cause of death.
1979 Obasanjo hands over power to Civilian government of Shehu Shagari
Abiola and I.T.T never delivered on the contract to wire up the country
1983 Abiola wants to contest to be President but lost out in Party to incumbent Shagari. He is not too happy
1983 December, Group of Army officers overthrow Civilian regime, with Abiola's financial support, Buhari becomes Military Head of State (Most of the Officers in the Supreme Military Council are close to Abiola - (Babangida, Abacha, Idiagbon)
1984 Abiola's son got in a spat with some soldiers and in a Public statement, he call those in government, "My boys" - soldiers no happy. He was refused entry to Dodan Barracks - The seat of Power at that time.
1986 - Abiola helped bankroll another Military takeover in Uganda that brought in Museveni.
1993 - Abiola wins election and one of his "boys" annulled it and another overthrew the interim government.
1993 - Abacha takes over power
In the campaign to have Abiola given his mandate, Obasanjo said " Abiola is not the Messiah Nigeria needs"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by qoura123(m): 3:31am On Jun 15, 2016
DCONE1:
Seun should stop living under his fathers limelight he shouLd discover him self and grow his carrier...another thing that Baffles me is that fela openly insult all our religion ,infected women with aid,lived a lifestyle of drug abuse and still our youths worship him as their hero SMH this generation is lost
who then should we worship? you!!!? smh
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by naptu2: 4:03am On Jun 15, 2016
grin Some people are asking how can Caveatemptor know more about what happened than Seun. They don't realise that some people here were alive when these things happened and witnessed them. The "shit incident" happened in 1978 or '79, while the "murder incident" happened in 1993. Seun was born in 1983. What does he know about something that happened in '79?

Imagine if Babangida's daughter (that was born in 1989) says that her father became president in 1987. We that witnessed the coup will (of course) know that she's not saying the truth, because we all know that her father became president on August 27, 1985.

A funny guy here actually said that Abiola was never chairman of Decca! grin

Anyway, we'll read Fela's own account of the shit incident and what led to the ITT song.

1 Like

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by naptu2: 4:24am On Jun 15, 2016
We have read an account of the "shit story" from one of Fela's boys and we've also read an account of the "murder story" from the New York Times. Now let's read Fela's own account of the "shit story" (you'll see that it tallies with his boy's account). This is just after soldiers had burnt down his house (Kalakuta Republic) in 1978.

[size=14pt]I Nearly Beat Up Abiola (MKO) For Sam Amuka Office. He Begin Dey Beg – Fela Anikulapo-Kuti (ITT Story) Part One[/size]

“Whaaaaaaaaam! Here I was, in one blow, out in the streets with all my people: about eighty of us! My case in court? It was thrown out, man. They didn’t even hear it. They withdrew all of the bullshit charges against me.

Eventually the courts also threw out my multi-million naira compensation claim. Oh, the corruption of those courts! Those people are such bastards, man. Where to seek justice? Jobless. Homeless. Still in a cast, my body all bandaged. So I told everybody, “OK, motherfuckers, we must all get back to work!” We had to try to get the Shrine moving again ‘cause we didn’t have shit.

All of my equipment, my belongings, they’d all gone up in flames with the house. Not a fuckin’ thing was left. Me, my girls, and the rest of my people slept in my brother Beko’s garage for a while. We still kept our dignity, though, man. We started the Shrine back. I began playing again, with one arm and a leg in a cast. That’s when I composed “Sorrow, Tears and Blood”. We were penniless, man. Then I thought to myself: “Don’t I have money coming to me from Decca or EMI?” We’re now in June-July. … Now, what was this whole thing with Decca? It’s a long story, man.

You see, Decca is a motherfucker, man. Wow! Decca signed with me when I was popular. When they burned my house, Chief  MKO Abiola of ITT took over Decca and drove out Mr Booth, the white man who was managing Decca. The white man wanted me, so they drove him away to London. Then Decca started giving me horrors.

First I must tell you that, before my house was burnt down, Mr Booth had told me I was popular and that Decca wanted to sign me. But that he was afraid ‘cause people were saying I was a hooligan and things like that. They were telling him that I wouldn’t deliver. So he was afraid. When he talked to me though he said he liked me and that he wasn’t afraid of me. But really, underneath he was afraid. So in the contract he put a clause that whoever –Decca, me, or anyone –bleeped the contract up, they would have to pay 250,000 naira. That was what he put in the contract. You see what I mean?”

Penniless as I was, I decided to go to Decca. That first day I took along all my women and our mattresses to the Director’s office. I didn’t take over Decca office right away.

http://www.maziabeidris.com/i-nearly-beat-up-abiola-mko-for-sam-amuka-office-he-begin-beg-fela-anikulapo-kuti-itt-story-part-one/

[size=14pt]The (ITT Story) Part Two : “Abiola (MKO) Ke? I Didn’t Even Know The Motherfucker Existed!”- Fela Anikulapo-Kuti[/size]

In the first part of the series, Abami narrates in his own carefree way, the situation that led up to his rather humorous encounter with the equally legendary, Chief MKO Abiola, who was then Chairman of Decca Records, Fela’s recording company at the time. 

The story continues from the Alhaji, Pastor, St. Augustine’s mouth………

“Remember, I didn’t have a house ‘cause they’d burnt my house down, right, so I don’t have a place to stay. So we went prepared.

Now MKO Abiola had just put this guy there as Director of Decca. His name is Mr Ogeus, a Dutchman, from Holland. So I meet this Mr Ogeus to tell him to give me my 250,000 Naira for breach of contract, man! “Mr Ogeus,” I said, “if you don’t pay me, I will stay here with you until you do. We don’t have a place to stay, so I brought my mattresses. I’m not going to court. Just give me my money.”

Ogeus went to the police. You see that! I come peacefully and he goes to get the police! The police came. They asked him: “You want to force them out?” “No,” he said. “But I think I should discuss things with Fela.” “OK,” I said. “I agree, we should discuss it.” So we agreed to meet at the police office the following morning. I said, “I agree.” So I left with my wives and mattresses.

We met at the police station the next day and we discussed. The police agreed that their lawyer should investigate the contract, and that they would give their opinion after the investigation. You understand? The police kept the contract for two weeks and the lawyer gave his opinion: breach of contract. So the police promised to bring MKO Abiola to the police station to discuss it.

The first time, he didn’t come. Second time, he came. That was the first day I ever met MKO Abiola. I didn’t even know the man existed. So he comes to the police station and swears on his mother’s life, that he never did anything to me wrongly and that he promises to settle the matter. So we left. One week … two weeks … one month … nothing! OK. Good. So me and my women, we took our mattresses and went to Decca again, for a second time. “Now, where is my money?” I asked Ogeus. “OK, if that is what you want, I’m leaving the office for you,” he answered.

Now, he had a very big sitting-room and thick carpets everywhere, so we laid our mattresses down. Ogeus, the white man, left the office and went to the police station. When he got to the police though, they wouldn’t move ‘cause they’d already been to investigate the matter. So I was”there in Decca office with my women for seven weeks.

It was the Inspector-General of Police himself who got me out. You know how Yusufu got me out? Here I am one night, sleeping at Decca, when police come. Not to arrest me-o! But to take me to see the Inspector General. Yusufu had sent for me in the middle of the night to’ go to his house, man. When I got there, he said: “Fela, you have to leave now.” “Why?” I asked. “Sir, they have to pay me-o. Or else you send your police to batter me if you like.” “Fela, you know I can’t do that.” “Fine. Then, they’ll have to pay.” That’s when he said to me: “Fela, you know they’ve taken me to court now.” I understood then what was happening.

You see, while I was living at Decca office, those motherfuckers had taken me to court. The lawyers, they lie. And the magistrate issued a bench order on me for … “illegal occupation”. Of course, the court didn’t hear my side of the case at all. But the police who knew my side of the story and everything about the matter refused to execute the bench warrant. In court, they said that every time they would go to the premises of Decca to get me out, they couldn’t find me! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! So Decca sued the police in court for not executing the bench warrant. That’s why M.D. Yusufu said to me: “If I go to court, they’ll embarrass me.” “Yes,” I said. “I know that.” After a moment of silence, I said: “OK. Fine. Give me one more week. Let me enjoy one more week, Sir, ‘cause you know I don’t have house any more. At Decca they have big sitting-room and offices with carpet everywhere.”

Yusufu shook his head, with a bit of a smile in his eyes. “OK, stay there one more week.” That’s how I finally left Decca, you know. But people don’t know that Fela had  done his underground work legally, and everything. They think I’m a hooligan who just went into Decca and sat down. But, man, I was the winner, you see. Let me tell you the reason why I always get victorious over people. People think I’m mad, but I don’t do things rashly. People think I do things rashly because at the point when I’m gonna do action, those who do not know what’s been happening will think I am being rash…….”

Culled from ‘Fela : This Bitch Of A Life'
By Carlos Moore (1982).

http://www.maziabeidris.com/?p=1218

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by anyicash(m): 4:31am On Jun 15, 2016
modelmike7:
Interesting read!
But from the begining of the story Seun said IT'S A SUPER STORY...so don't expect me to believe super stories.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Nobody: 4:44am On Jun 15, 2016
We have always known that MKO is worse than IBB and abacha put together. He is the definition of the real evil genius and God gave him the ultimate punishment he meted out to moses and he never saw the promise land. MKO is the pioneer of corruption and self centeredness which has dragged Nigeria backwards by almost 500 years. I believe he is burning in hell right about now.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Nobody: 4:51am On Jun 15, 2016
GeneralShepherd:
Abiola was a criminal who in consortium with the evil genius - IBB - established all the ills that pervade our country to this day. He (Abiola) was the first person to bribe a military man, he also introduced contract inflation and single handedly set Nitel up for failure.

The reason Nigerians celebrate this charlatan marvels me. I will rather celebrate 1000 Felas than 0.5 Abiola! I spit on his grave

God bless you. Abiola was a useless self centered and corrupt basterd. He introduced looting and drug peddling in Nigeria and thank God he was never president because the dead selfish bastard would have sold Nigeria for his personal gain. I spit on your grave bastard MKO.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Nobody: 4:57am On Jun 15, 2016
passionate88:
So abiola na thief too? Na im all these zombies dey shout for diezani come go leave abiola the international thief

My brother you no know? MKO Abiola is the true definitionn of evil. He is worse than dezeani, IBB, abacha, put together. The pioneer looter of our common wealth.

1 Like

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by ladenz(m): 6:57am On Jun 15, 2016
henrydadon:
kiss
They are both true legend of their time

And do I also need to state the fact that they are both

Yorubas

May their continue to rest in peace

And both from Abeokuta for that matter
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by OKorowanta: 7:31am On Jun 15, 2016
Seun wud av also told us about Fela's newspaper headlining case were he was accused of torturing a band member to death in the 90s.
Them judge dat mata for court tire.
Save for Beko and some influential Nigerians,Fela wud av been in jail.
I'm Fela's biggest fan.
Somebody dat created his own genre,
But he get he own for body too.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Caveatemptor(m): 8:11am On Jun 15, 2016
oodua1stson:
Seun account of the story is correct. Yours is wrong and crap.

My Dad told me about this story way b4 now and most of the evils done by abiola the scum

Tell your dad l said his version is wrong.
As people have pointed out The armed robbery case is a totally different story to the poo story. I was in secondary school when these issues happened so I know what I am talking about.
These stories were splashed on the pages of the Punch in those days.
Some one was even mixing the case of the coffin for head of state beatings with the armed robbery case.
I was a regular visitor to the Old African shrine at Pepple street as an undergraduate at Unilag. So you are talking to a true Fela fan. I watched the great man perform as a student and listened to his regular yabis on the yabis night.
I may not be Felas son but I am a historian of Felas life. I stand by my first post.
This is the truth coming from a Fela fan.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by smtx(m): 8:16am On Jun 15, 2016
oodua1stson:
Seun account of the story is correct. Yours is wrong and crap.

My Dad told me about this story way b4 now and most of the evils done by abiola the scum

Don't mind him jare! He wan tell us more about another person papa. The fact remains that Abiola was also EVIL.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Caveatemptor(m): 8:21am On Jun 15, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
u dy argue wit him pikin?

Yes,I am because he is mixing up two different stories.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by smtx(m): 8:27am On Jun 15, 2016
Caveatemptor:

Tell your dad l said his version is wrong.
As people have pointed out The armed robbery case is a totally different story to the poo story. I was in secondary school when these issues happened so I know what I am talking about.
These stories were splashed on the pages of the Punch in those days.
Some one was even mixing the case of the coffin for head of state beatings with the armed robbery case.
I was a regular visitor to the Old African shrine at Pepple street as an undergraduate at Unilag. So you are talking to a true Fela fan. I watched the great man perform as a student and listened to his regular yabis on the yabis night.
I may not be Felas son but I am a historian of Felas life. I stand by my first post.
This is the truth coming from a Fela fan.

Your audacity na case study o! Cos you are a regular visitor at d shrine makes you a better Fela historian than anybody? Even Seun and Femi know no Fela reach you? Na wa o! For Nairaland nothing wey u no go read. I believe Seun, and oodua1stson dad's version. Your story can drown a FISH!
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by mamawin(f): 8:37am On Jun 15, 2016
oodua1stson:
Like I said 2 days ago.

Mko abiola was a scum, the worst of it to say the truth.

There's nothing worth celebrating in his stoopid life.

He deserved everything that happened to him
can you tell us more about our 'hero' because you seem to know a lot
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Caveatemptor(m): 8:39am On Jun 15, 2016
smtx:

Your audacity na case study o! Cos you are a regular visitor at d shrine makes you a better Fela historian than anybody? Even Seun and Femi know no Fela reach you? Na wa o! For Nairaland nothing wey u no go read. I believe Seun, and oodua1stson dad's version. Your story can drown a FISH!

My friend I will advise you to read up on issues and educate yourself.
It was amusing reading some one saying that MKO Abiola was never the chairman of Decca records. Start your research from there.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by naptu2: 8:49am On Jun 15, 2016
smtx:

Caveatemptor is right.

Have you read Fela's own account of what happened? Can anybody else know what happened better than Fela? I know what happened. I was alive when these things happened. I don't need anyone else to tell me what happened, but I'll advise you to buy Fela's book "This B.i.tch Of A Life' (in which he was interviewed by Carlos Moore) and read Fela's own account of what happened.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Caveatemptor(m): 8:49am On Jun 15, 2016
naptu2:

I remember this case very well, and even if I had forgotten I would have been reminded yesterday when Femi Falana spoke about it when he appeared before the Lagos State House of Assembly. It's not that Seun is wrong, but he has mixed up two incidents (1) the shit incident that occurred in the 1970s and (2) the murder incident that occurred in 1993.

Thank you sir. You are correct.
Re: Seun Kuti Recounts Fela And Abiola's Encounter by Caveatemptor(m): 8:57am On Jun 15, 2016
naptu2:

Have you read Fela's own account of what happened? Can anybody else know what happened better than Fela? I know what happened. I was alive when these things happened. I don't need anyone else to tell me what happened, but I'll advise you to buy Fela's book "This B.i.tch Of A Life' (in which he was interviewed by Carlos Moore) and read Fela's own account of what happened.

The problem is that people refuse to read up issues and argue blindly. Some of us grew up witnessing these things and have retentive memories. While I agree that Seun is the son,he probably was not born when these issues occurred and who ever told him the stories mixed them up because Fela was involved in a lot of controversial issues during his life time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lovely Pictures Of Singer Victoria Kimani / Odunlade Adekola, Yinka Quadri, Mr Latin Celebrates Eniola Ajao Birthday / 40,000 Fans Attend Concert By Olamide In Togo (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.