Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) (53221 Views)

Ogenyi Onazi & Raheem Lawal Step Out For Ahmed Musa's Traditional Wedding (Pics) / BBNaija: Ogenyi Onazi Talks About Efe & His Supporters / Ogenyi Onazi Survives Accident In Oyo State Ahead Of Saturday Wedding (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:03pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

It is a wonder. Na today I hear this one. Soon Osun, Oya and even Esu will be Edo. I have heard claims that Olokun is now an Edo god. Story for another day. Olokun has ported and is no longer Yoruba.

This is why we need our own country and history books. Imagine everyone claiming Yoruba culture and words because it's so attractive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by russello: 11:04pm On Jun 16, 2016
dejavski:

Is omosuyi omotuyi,... an edo name?
Because we bear these names in my town here in ilaje ondo state

Yes to the highlighted. The Edos answers that name (the one with S). Take note of the S and T in those two names.
Some other time the S could be substituted with R.

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 11:04pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

Ogunsuyi is a Yoruba name. Her parents may live in Benin.
That is false. I know of people bearing that name and are indigenes of edo state.

5 Likes

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:06pm On Jun 16, 2016
PRISTINEMUSCLES:

That is false. I know of people bearing that name and are indigenes of edo state.

So Edos started adding Yoruba gods to their names abi una wan claim Ogun too? It wouldn't surprise me sha because it aint today Edos started adopting Yoruba names like one Modupe like that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:07pm On Jun 16, 2016
aim5:

The only "marriage attire" that was rocked here was the agbada. Other than that, Edo people don't copy your damn marriage attire. Many Edo groups, such as the Benin/Edo and Esan have their own distinctive traditional marriage attire. How the hell are you going to say that Edo people copy your marriage attire when Edo bridal attire(Eto Okuku) is known nationwide....
I see a lot of Edo brides these days with Aso Oke, complete with Ipele and Gele. Who dash una that one Is it not wrapper and bead that is Edo attire?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

I see a lot of Edo brides these days with [b] Aso Oke, complete with Ipele and Gele. [/b]Who dash una that one Is it not wrapper and bead that is Edo attire?

I mentioned that on one thread, dem talk am say Edos have been dressing like that since 1800s. I couldn't hold my laugh grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

So Edos started adding Yoruba gods to their names abi una wan claim Ogun too? It wouldn't surprise me sha because it aint today Edos started adopting Yoruba names like one Modupe like that.
They can't explain that one because it's a bone that will hook them in their throat. Ogunsuyi is by all accounts an original Yoruba name. Let them ask those people well where their ancestors came from.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by phoenix45(m): 11:09pm On Jun 16, 2016
anyi biara igba nkwu nwanyi! oliver de coque
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:11pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

I mentioned that on one thread, dem talk am say Edos have been dressing like that since 1800s. I couldn't hold my laugh grin grin grin
I have seen it a lot. Even the fila has been taken over. You can't even tell the difference between an Edo wedding and Yoruba wedding these days. Then they claim and fight that they have nothing to do with Yoruba. So we must resist this encroachment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jun 16, 2016
shogz89:
see who is calling me delusional, adesuyi, olasuyi, obasuyi are Yoruba names now you can call me delusional for that. undecided you better google that names before running to nairaland

Adesuyi and Olasuyi are Yoruba, yes. But Obasuyi is used by Benins.

1 Like

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:12pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

They can't explain that one because it's a bone that will hook them in their throat. Ogunsuyi is by all accounts an original Yoruba name. Let them ask those people well where their ancestors came from.

I'm begining to think this generation of Edos don't know their culture or dem be Ibo touts claiming anything to appear anti-Yoruba grin Misery wants company.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

I have seen it a lot. Even the fila has been taken over. You can't even tell the difference between an Edo wedding and Yoruba wedding these days. Then they claim and fight that they have nothing to do with Yoruba. So we must resist this encroachment.

Do you remember how Mercy Johnson and her husband dress in tradition? Like Yoruba trad attire.
My brother, everybody wan claim Yoruba. grin
Let them encroach, at the same time, neglecting their own culture.
Who sabi Obi of Onitsha or Edo king outside their compound? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

I don't fight with Ibo termites about Yoruba-Edo stuff. Pele, go find one aboki who go claim your apku. Lol why are your bursting your flat.head over this matter?

Anytime you mention Yoruba-Edo link, the average Edo curses the hell out of you, yet you continue attaching yourself to them. You see why they call you shameless lot. Cant you Yorubas understand that oral history is always distorted through transmission? And its most likely the connection you think you have with them is incorrect? Them swear for una to claim Edo people?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by russello: 11:16pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

What does it mean in Edo? And when did Edos start worshiping Yoruba gods?

Oba suyi = Oba is worthy of honour
Ovia suyi = Ovia is worthy of honour
Osa suyi = Osa (God) is worthy of honour
Ogun suyi = Ogun is worthy of honour

Notice the bold are either deity or a respected/valuable figures

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:16pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

I'm begining to think this generation of Edos don't know their culture or dem be Ibo touts claiming anything to appear anti-Yoruba grin Misery wants company.
The Akoko's tend to bear a lot of Yoruba names. They are Yoruba's caught on the Edo boundary and they kept their names. Their dialect is also quite not much different from the Yoruba's close to them too. They beat Dupe, Bunmi. I have also heard Ola and Ebun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 11:16pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:

What does it mean in Edo? And when did Edos start worshiping Yoruba gods?

Lol. This one as ignorant as most of the others

When did yorubas start worshiping Israeli or jewish God?

Just say you don't know what the name means, but it is characteristic of you people to always make everything about you.

9 Likes

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:17pm On Jun 16, 2016
russello:

[b]Oba[/b]suyi = Oba is worthy of honour
[b]Ovia[/b]suyi = Ovia is worthy of honour
[b]Osa[/b]suyi = Osa (God) is worthy of honour
[b]Ogun[/b]suyi = Ogun is worthy of honour

Thank God you have the name for God in Edo. You just shot yourself in the foot. Why didn't you give the meaning for Ogunsuyi?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2016
russello:

Oba suyi = Oba is worthy of honour
Ovia suyi = Ovia is worthy of honour
Osa suyi = Osa (God) is worthy of honour
Ogun suyi = Ogun is worthy of honour

Is Ogun a Yoruba or Edo god?
No one is talking about Osas, Ovia and the other rubbish you're using as evidence.
Type Ogunsuyi on Google and see how many Yoruba names pop up.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jun 16, 2016
aim5:

Adesuyi and Olasuyi are Yoruba, yes. But Obasuyi is used by Benins.
What does Olasuyi means?
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:20pm On Jun 16, 2016
Etinosajay:

Lol. This one as ignorant as most of the others

When did yorubas start worshiping Israeli or jewish God?

Just say you don't know what the name means, but it is characteristic of you people to always make everything about you.

You're trying to make a point, but you missed. Ogunsuyi is an old Yoruba name, unlike Oluwatosin etc.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Etinosajay(m): 11:20pm On Jun 16, 2016
This is not the first time we see yoruba folks hijack a thread that has no relation with their culture.

We know how seriously you people seek relevance, such that you may go extinct if no one talks about you in a day.

It is an attitude I personally have become familiar with.

A thread about ibos, hausas, Edos, Niger deltans, suddenly starts to turn to a yoruba thread because you people can't tend to stay without courting controversies

Enjoy it

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by laikas: 11:20pm On Jun 16, 2016
Karm16:
They keep marrying Yoruba women but keep making babymamas out of Ibo women. embarassed
wot do u mean?
Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:21pm On Jun 16, 2016
mbatuku2:

What does Olasuyi means?

aim5, don't reply this Ibo termite for your own good.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 16, 2016
baby124:

I see a lot of Edo brides these days with Aso Oke, complete with Ipele and Gele. Who dash una that one Is it not wrapper and bead that is Edo attire?

Yes, most wear Gele nowadays. But you'll always see them rock their Edo attire in their traditional weddings.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by ogwucheveekee(f): 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2016
If na igbo boy now em mama would say nooooooo!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:22pm On Jun 16, 2016
Etinosajay:
This is not the first time we see yoruba folks hijack a thread that has no relation with their culture.

We know how seriously you people seek relevance, such that you may go extinct if no one talks about you in a day.

It is an attitude I personally have become familiar with.

A thread about ibos, hausas, Edos, Niger deltans, suddenly starts to turn to a yoruba thread because you people can't tend to stay without courting controversies

Enjoy it

If you don't know your culture, go and ask your father. Ogunsuyi is a Yoruba name.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2016
mbatuku2:

What does Olasuyi means?

I don't know and I don't care to know what it means. I only agreed that Olasuyi is Yoruba. But names like Obasuyi are questionable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by Karm16: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2016
aim5:

Yes, most wear Gele nowadays. But you'll always see them rock their Edo attire in their traditional weddings.

Nowadays, many of them rock Yoruba attire you'd think they're Yoruba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogenyi Onazi's Traditional Marriage In Benin City (Photos) by baby124: 11:23pm On Jun 16, 2016
aim5:

Gele, Ipele, Oja are Yoruba attires. Edo's now wear that as their first or second clothes during their traditional wedding. I have seen this many many times. Even in Aso Oke material like the bride is wearing. She is wearing Gele and Ipele in Aso Okr. Not red wrapper and red beads.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Crowd At Eko Atlantic Viewing Centre To Watch Nigeria Vs Iceland Match / Leon Balogun: "A Witch Led Me To Play For Nigeria" / Members Of 1994 Eagles Receive Houses In Abuja (Photos).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.