Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts (5226 Views)

Buhari Does Not Deserve My Vote In 2019 - J. J. Omojuwa / EFCC Boss Ibraham Magu Visits Police Headquarter - Photos / 8 Suspicious Reasons Jonathan Does Not Believe Dasuki Stole $2.2bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by osinbanjoisaliar: 4:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
“The criteria are simple; we
are looking for a leader who
came to power democratically
and transparently, then
moved his country forward,
made important key decisions
which helped its people and
then bowed out gracefully at
the end of his or her
period.”
BY THE CABLE
JUN 17, 2016
Former President Goodluck
Jonathan missed out on the
2015 edition of the Mo
Ibrahim prize for leadership
despite his historic
concession of the 2015
presidential election.
After winning the Martin
Luther King human rights
award, Jonathan was being
tipped for the $5 million
leadership prize, which is
meant for a “former African
Executive Head of State or
Government,” who “was
democratically elected,
served his or her
constitutionally mandated
term, demonstrating
exceptional leadership and
left office in the last three
years”.
Mo Ibrahim, however,
disagrees that Jonathan
delivered on this feat,
saying “excellence means
excellence”.
“There’s an issue about
excellent leadership and
that’s not an African
phenomenon; look at Europe,
look at Asia, over nine years
couldn’t have picked out five
exceptional leaders in
Europe, in Asia.”
When asked by BBC if no
African leader deserves to
win every year, Ibrahim
said: “Yes, exactly, it’s not
because we are Africans, we
have to accept substandard;
excellence means
excellence.”
“It’s a prize for excellence,
it’s not an entitlement or a
pension – we really seek
excellence.
“The criteria are simple; we
are looking for a leader who
came to power democratically
and transparently, then
moved his country forward,
made important key decisions
which helped its people and
then bowed out gracefully at
the end of his or her
period.”
When asked why the prize
does not consider leaders
within an African
government, like Nigeria’s
Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, who
was Jonathan’s minister of
finance, Ibrahim said the
prize cannot shift its focus.
“We cannot just keep
shifting our focus here.
There’s no doubt the
president is really the focal
point for decision-making.
“The responsibility of
moving the country forward
or backwards really lies with
the president, not ministers.”
Ibrahim insisted that the
prize is meant for unsung
heroes in Africa, who do not
really care about the $5
million prize money, and the
$200,000 prize for life
thereafter.
http://saharareporters.com/2016/06/17/why-jonathan-okonjo-iweala-didnt-win-5m-mo-ibrahim-leadership-prize

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by teekay213(m): 4:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
ehn!you can win your own award.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by wowmenow: 4:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
Mo Ibrahim is broke he has no money to give for this year award

If Jonathan don't merit it nobody in the world merit it

Mo Ibrahim majority of Nigerians want Jonathan back

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by modath(f): 4:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
Then moved his country forward, made important key decisions which helped its people and then bowed out gracefully at the end of his or her period.”

EoD!!! The IB only scored 1 out of 3.... leaving without being Gbagbolized.

The only people he helped were party cronies & sympathizers & his own way of moving his country forward (lasting legacy he left) was increasing the nos of people who acquired PJs through corrupt practices & outright criminal enterprises..

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by chivic(m): 4:42pm On Jun 17, 2016
well it makes sense for him not to deserve your award. But a lot will argue that he met with your outlined qualificatin for the award.It will be good you add to the criteria and include that the person must not be traced to heavy corruption.if not it will be seen as though you are bias

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Pavarottii(m): 4:45pm On Jun 17, 2016
Who be this guy wey just dey worry person upandan with this em award. What has he himself achieved in life that he is even doling out award. Goodluck is even more important than this guy.
Abeg make person tell me the great stride wey em Don pull to move Nigeria forward first b4 he starts giving awards. Abi dem tell am say GEJ be like person wey hungry dey catch?

This guy gas collect one slap! ASAP!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by ganisucks(f): 4:47pm On Jun 17, 2016
As i said in another thread, the award is only for lying progressives and corrupt communist thieves. Jonathan was not even interested.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by JBismarck(m): 4:48pm On Jun 17, 2016
Don't stress yourself explaining things, we know he doesn't deserve it.

16 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by dustmalik: 4:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
JBismarck:
Don't stress yourself explaining things, we know he doesn't deserve it.
Agreed

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by jpphilips(m): 4:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
Some hooligans want a leader who could not defeat Boko haram, recover Chibok girls, could not raise a reasonable foreign reserve, shared ECR, fantastically corrupt to win a prestigious award for excellence abi?

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Pstlyecouture: 4:55pm On Jun 17, 2016
but pls who is Mo Abraham

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by ijustdey: 5:08pm On Jun 17, 2016
When asked by BBC if no African leader deserves to win every year, Ibrahim said: “Yes, exactly, it’s not because we are Africans, we have to accept substandard; excellence means excellence.”

WORD!!!!!!!

am sure the wailers won't like to be told the truth........but this elder statesman have spoken the undiluted truth

13 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by chumakk: 5:11pm On Jun 17, 2016
You have the award and you can decide to give it to anyone

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by 4stylz: 5:15pm On Jun 17, 2016
Just tell us you can't use the present exchange rate to give away 5million dollars ; the guy might even be broke

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by LessNoise: 5:19pm On Jun 17, 2016
TO ALL THE GEJ MY HERO MILITANTS

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by adediranta(m): 5:27pm On Jun 17, 2016
cheeiiyya
Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by SuperS1Panther: 5:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
Awarding it to the IB would have been a disgrace to every true meaning of the word ''EXCELLENCE''.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by ogtavia(m): 6:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
I am nt a wailer neither am I against jonathan...but thank God he didnt win...the award would have lost credibility and hype...thank God Mo Ibrahim didnt go with sentiments..true leadership isnt a function of sentiments...

11 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by dollarsplenty(m): 6:38pm On Jun 17, 2016
;DBut why nao? Obasanjo hands are in this. Baba maka why ? grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by omenka(m): 6:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
dollarsplenty:
;DBut why nao? Obasanjo hands are in this. Baba maka why ? grin
Rotflmao @pics. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by jameseva: 6:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
please who has GEJ's contact? I want to organise an award for him somewhere in europe! 'The best living ex-president in the world' Even Bill Clinton no reach am!! I get plenty oyinbo + african friends wey go dey clap for am non-stop while giving his speech on video camera even if he speaks bayelsan!! Me self gats collect my own award money abeg, one of my guys for yankee don buy range rover unto say him follow organise one of those awards and i dey here since dey Jonze!!

This is a really urgent call!! Thank You!!!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by WHOcarex: 7:17pm On Jun 17, 2016
Really?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Horus(m): 7:23pm On Jun 17, 2016

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Oche211(m): 7:25pm On Jun 17, 2016
wowmenow:
Mo Ibrahim is broke he has no money to give for this year award

If Jonathan don't merit it nobody in the world merit it

Mo Ibrahim majority of Nigerians want Jonathan back
excellence means excellence.
What did jonathan do except for the fact that he accepted defeat. Was he nt defeated in the first place?
The corruption under him was monumental. U don't expect Mo Ibrahim foundation to lower it's standard because jonathan must win the award. This isn't the first year that no African leader will win the prize.

14 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by LesbianBoy(m): 7:29pm On Jun 17, 2016
To hell with mo ibrahim, his award, buhari and before I forget APC supporters especially the ones here on nairaland cool

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by wowmenow: 7:32pm On Jun 17, 2016
Oche211:

excellence means excellence.
What did jonathan do except for the fact that he accepted defeat. Was he nt defeated in the first place?
The corruption under him was monumental. U don't expect Mo Ibrahim foundation to lower it's standard because jonathan must win the award. This isn't the first year that no African leader will win the prize.

its only you and fake media houses that knows Jonathan is corrupt no court have found him guilty

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by blackpanda: 7:34pm On Jun 17, 2016
How can he win when he is the epitome of corruption?? How can he win when he made zero improovement in the life of nigerians despite huge resources at his disposal

Jonathan is a thief! And thieves dont get awards. Period.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Nkemtreasure: 7:35pm On Jun 17, 2016
Op, it's not only GEJ. He's left office for over a year now and some of us can't get over him. Probably we should ask the NUC to add him as a course for Nigerian universities to study. Hia, elections are indeed over and I no get light

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by OlujobaSamuel: 7:50pm On Jun 17, 2016
some people sef, most don't even know about him before now, some even think he is a Nigerian, shake my head for some of una.
this might help una ignorance;

Born
1946 (age 69–70)
Sudan
Residence
Monte Carlo, Monaco/ Mayfair, London, United Kingdom
Citizenship
United Kingdom
Alma mater
Alexandria University, University of Bradford,
University of Birmingham
Occupation
Businessman, engineer
Net worth
US$1.1 billion
Dr Mohamed "Mo" Ibrahim (Arabic : born
1946) is a Sudanese-British mobile communications
entrepreneur and billionaire. He worked for several
other telecommunications companies before founding
Celtel, which when sold had over 24 million mobile
phone subscribers in 14 African countries. After selling
Celtel in 2005 for $3.4 billion, he set up the Mo
Ibrahim Foundation to encourage better governance in
Africa, as well as creating the Mo Ibrahim Index, to
evaluate nations' performance. He is also a member of
the Africa Regional Advisory Board of London Business
School.
In 2007 he initiated the Mo Ibrahim Prize for
Achievement in African Leadership , which awards a $5
million initial payment, and a $200,000 annual
payment for life to African heads of state who deliver
security, health, education and economic development
to their constituents and democratically transfer power
to their successors. Dr Ibrahim has pledged to give at
least half of his wealth to charity by joining The Giving
Pledge .
According to the Forbes 2011 Billionaire List, Mo
Ibrahim is worth $1.8 billion, making him the 692nd
richest person in the world. Mo Ibrahim was also
selected for the TIME "Top 100" list in 2008.
Early life and education
Birmingham University
Born in Sudan, of Nubian descent, Ibrahim earned a
Bachelor of Science from Alexandria University in
Electrical Engineering. He started working in England
and earned a master's degree from the University of
Bradford in Electronics and Electrical Engineering, and
a PhD from the University of Birmingham in Mobile
Communications.
In 2007 Ibrahim was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in
Economics by the University of London's School of
Oriental and African Studies, and in 2011 an
Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree from the University of
Pennsylvania.
A respected international philanthropist, Mo Ibrahim is
credited with "transforming a continent" and is
thought to be the "most powerful black man in
Britain".
Telecommunications
Ibrahim was employed by British Telecom for a time,
and later worked as the technical director for Cellnet, a
subsidiary of British Telecom.
During the early 1980s Ibrahim taught undergraduate
telecommunication courses at Thames Polytechnic
later to become University of Greenwich.
In 1989 he founded MSI , a consultancy and software
company, which in 2000 was bought by the Marconi
Company. MSI had 800 employees, who owned
approximately 30% of the stock at the point of its
sale; Ibrahim says he gave employees stock as a form
of bonus.
In 1998, MSI spun off MSI-Cellular Investments, later
renamed Celtel , as a mobile phone operator in Africa.
Since 2010, Ibrahim has lent his support to the
Broadband Commission for Digital Development , a UN
initiative which aims to spread the full benefits of
broadband services to unconnected peoples.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by fairheven: 7:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
my thinking is that this guy doesn't have such money to doll out.. so the more reason for flimsy excuses.

by the way he should be commenting about individuals..the board or panel should be doing so, it makes it seem he has got personal issues with some people
Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 17, 2016
I don't think it's appropriate for Mo Ibrahim to comment on why an individual didn't win his award. Is the recipient no longer being selected by a board? The board who thought Jonathan unfit for such award should have been the one to give reasons for overlooking him. Jonathan's inability to clinch the award doesn't detract from his achievements. He cannot scoop every available award. Jonathan had his failings like every other leader before him, but no one can say he left no notable mark.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Does Not Deserve My Award- Mo Ibraham Blasts by vedaxcool(m): 7:55pm On Jun 17, 2016
Only madmen award a failure a total failure for excelling in stealing

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Will Beat You Up And Impregnate You – Dino Melaye Threatens Tinubu’s Wife / List Of Massacres Under PDP / Voters Apathy In South South And South East Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.