Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,005 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Is Programming A Talent? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Programming A Talent? (6749 Views)

How Lucrative Is Programming / Is Programming A Passion Or for the Money In Nigeria? / Why Is Programming Difficult? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Programming A Talent? by BigStar1(m): 10:35am On Sep 01, 2009
Is programming really a talent?

Let's discuss.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by Cactus(m): 11:45am On Sep 01, 2009
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=talent

Talent
Noun
* S: (n) endowment, gift, talent, natural endowment (natural abilities or qualities)
* S: (n) talent (a person who possesses unusual innate ability in some field or activity)

Computer programming is an acquired skill. Different people have different level of proficiency.
Computer programming is not a talent. It is not something that comes natural. However, an individual having some specific qualities would find computer programming easier than others. Critical thinking, problem solving, logical reasoning skills among other skill-set.

Those make understanding how a programming language work easier. With continuous practice and dedication, an individual can attain a very high level of proficiency.

It is an acquired skill not a talent.

2 Likes

Re: Is Programming A Talent? by candylips(m): 3:55pm On Sep 01, 2009
Big Star:

Is programming really a talent?

Let's discuss.

No its a skill that can be learnt and mastered just like any other life skills like riding a bicycle or driving a car . u get me smiley
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by Afam(m): 4:39pm On Sep 01, 2009
Cactus:

Critical thinking, problem solving, logical reasoning skills among other skill-set.

Exactly! But the problem is that you will always find yourself on the other side of arguments because the world out there really isn't logical so you will have a hard time coming across people as someone that is not just arrogant or trying to be right all the time because the codes you play around with don't tolerate mistakes and certainly does not have time for sentiments.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by s4: 5:41pm On Sep 01, 2009
Programming is a skill aquired, notured, and developed. It is never a talent.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by BigStar1(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2009
Good points
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by quadrillio(m): 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2009
@bigstar, I believe u are clear now

Programming is not a talent, but a skill u acquire and develop.

Thanks everyone, very educating
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by kennbox(m): 11:57am On Sep 10, 2009
Well, I think it's a "learnable" Talent smiley
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by candylips(m): 11:58am On Sep 10, 2009
kennbox:

Well, I think it's a "learnable" TalentĀ  smiley

u can't learn talent. u can only learn a skillĀ  wink
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by OlaMichael(m): 12:02pm On Sep 10, 2009
I echo Cactus' sentiment.

Certain abilities innate to the person may make it easier for that individual to lean towards programming. However, programming is a learnt skill, not a natural talent.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by Guly(m): 4:50pm On Sep 10, 2009
NOTE:
programming is not a talent because talents are in born while skills are usually acquired so programming depends on the intrests in someone the more you ingage in it the more flexible and good you become in that language. smiley
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by logica(m): 9:36pm On Sep 10, 2009
I always tell people, if u can form a plan (written on paper), follow it through one step after the other, then u can program. Just like a woman writing her chores for the day, and plans the whole thing. Unfortunately actual programming requires creativity (which is a talent), amongst other required personal traits (attention to detail, resilience/perseverance are others). So overall, you require particular list of traits (talent if you will), to be able to program.

The modern day programmer has to have a voracious appetite for learning as well (and not just in regard to technological material, but general knowledge just like lawyers are expected to have - domain knowledge of the business of various clients he works with).
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by prodam(m): 2:52pm On Sep 14, 2009
na skill, a talent just needs an enabling environment but as we all know that if u want 2 know programming them u will also need
2 learn and practise
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by johnpeter2: 12:59pm On Sep 16, 2009
i think programing is skill which sharp with your experiences
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pass drug test | medical records software | Sex harassment lawyers California | pass marijuana drug test
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by prodam(m): 10:20am On Sep 17, 2009
hello nairalanders, php is a very nice prog. lang for web designing coz u can do a lot more of html and others
i need more e-books coz am a beginner pls help me out
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by veetubes: 3:38pm On Sep 17, 2009
Programming is whatever you make of it, a gift, a talent. but remember no body is born a programmer , we all learn it, so it is an aquired skilled
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by kodewrita(m): 8:11pm On Sep 21, 2009
They have said it all.
You pick it up.
At the end of the day, you will bring your own personal character to the process. If you are a thorough person normally, it will show in your code and in your learning processes. If you are someone who procrastinates, you will have lots of unfinished projects and you stand a risk of killing whatever flame is inside of you. It can be easy though there are difficult parts (but when you conquer those difficulties you feel real smart. Its like a rush. In my own case, if its code with a mathematical base, it makes me feel like a genius. sometimes).

Its fun, its lucrative, its a mind-builder. its also a great way of viewing the world. Dive in and enjoy urself.

1 Like

Re: Is Programming A Talent? by aquastar(m): 6:10pm On Sep 23, 2009
You learn programming but having certain skills like a very logical mind, creativity and ability to think "outside the box "(pardon the cliche) make life easier and more enjoyable for a programmer, my two cents
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by BigStar1(m): 10:33am On Sep 24, 2009
All rights.
You've said it all, but do you know why i ask this question?

Obviously NO

but now, i will tell you

a week before i posted this topic
i posted a topic "Is Music is the only talent in nigeria?"
most of the response were more or less yes
But being a musician, some were born with it, but some started by mimitating great ones out there and try to think of there on jargons later.
So, how would you relate this to programming?.
because, we read(they imimitate), we code crazily(they practice jargons), we become expert(they become popular).
Let's compare and contrast
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by candylips(m): 11:21am On Sep 24, 2009
hahah compare and contrast
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by ryte: 5:57am On Sep 29, 2009
@ veetubes
Programming is whatever you make of it, a gift, a talent. but remember no body is born a programmer , we all learn it, so it is an aquired skilled

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@aquastar
You learn programming but having certain skills like a very logical mind, creativity and ability to think "outside the box "(pardon the cliche) make life easier and more enjoyable for a programmer, my two cents

this ability also acquired.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by cdeveloper(m): 2:24pm On Oct 08, 2009
Programming is madness a form of trying to control an object ,sorry i am already spitting the language of the field. It's something that scares people who are not into it and it is something that holds on to people who are into it like 'Aradite' once you are into it you can not walk away from it. When you sleep, you think it, when you walk the street you think it, when you are discussing with friends you are still thinking it even when you are eating. I have found that it is a form of mental activity that takes you to places in your imaginative world you could not naturally get to.

Back in school in the field of Computer Science you are taught what the call the basic of programming and you think that is the end of it. It was unexciting but when you start off on your own exploring the driving forces behind a computer system, you get to find out that programmers are more like small gods with the power to think through the entire event that would happen throughout the life time of a program. You give your program some form of human ability and people marvel at how the stuff is responding to them. Has someone ever tried out a command on a Nix box several times, what was the response you get?

1 Like

Re: Is Programming A Talent? by BigStar1(m): 12:44pm On Oct 09, 2009
Good contribution
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by lightwalk(m): 6:50am On Oct 11, 2009
Please someone should look up the definition of talents. What's all this shocked
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2012
cdeveloper: Programming is madness a form of trying to control an object ,sorry i am already spitting the language of the field. It's something that scares people who are not into it and it is something that holds on to people who are into it like 'Aradite' once you are into it you can not walk away from it. When you sleep, you think it, when you walk the street you think it, when you are discussing with friends you are still thinking it even when you are eating. I have found that it is a form of mental activity that takes you to places in your imaginative world you could not naturally get to.

Back in school in the field of Computer Science you are taught what the call the basic of programming and you think that is the end of it. It was unexciting but when you start off on your own exploring the driving forces behind a computer system, you get to find out that programmers are more like small gods with the power [b]to think through the entire event that would happen throughout the life time of a program. [/b]You give your program some form of human ability and people marvel at how the stuff is responding to them. Has someone ever tried out a command on a Nix box several times, what was the response you get?

it's addictive
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by megaplaza(m): 6:46am On Sep 09, 2012
is there anybody born a dancer?? An arrist? Even when it seems they were born that way, they must have learnt it from an early age. What y'all gonna say about a 7yrs old that writes programs even 5yrs old. I believe programming is more of art than science. Hence, it can be learnt, it can be enhanced. Besides most of these skills u consider as talent have been in existence for long and we feel those that exhibit it a very tender age didn't learn it. Even messi learnt how to play football. Abi he no attend Barca Football Academy.

1 Like

Re: Is Programming A Talent? by eazyd(m): 5:04pm On Sep 09, 2012
funny bt interesting topic grin
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by okeyxyz(m): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2012
Cactus: http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=talent

Talent
Noun
* S: (n) endowment, gift, talent, natural endowment (natural abilities or qualities)
* S: (n) talent (a person who possesses unusual innate ability in some field or activity)

Computer programming is an acquired skill. Different people have different level of proficiency.
Computer programming is not a talent. It is not something that comes natural. However, an individual having some specific qualities would find computer programming easier than others. Critical thinking, problem solving, logical reasoning skills among other skill-set.

Those make understanding how a programming language work easier. With continuous practice and dedication, an individual can attain a very high level of proficiency.

It is an acquired skill not a talent.

+10
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by Kslib(m): 4:41pm On Sep 10, 2012
Well,it is an acquired skill,but there's a natural ability that makes some programmers stand out. There must be someone out there who understood the concept of programming with little time.. There is a natural talent that makes some programmers special..I am not a programmer ohh!!!
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by moderatorr: 8:40am On Sep 11, 2012
Programming Just like Music is a talent.
You have it inbuilt, then you develop it to mastery.
Then that genius in you comes out again building beautiful, problem-solving, futuristic applications.

Bill Gates just like Rihanna is talented.

If programming it not your talent, try graphic design. Don't force your self.
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by cursorsystem(m): 2:31pm On Sep 19, 2012
Yes, programming is a talent that can be developed and redefined by constant reading and researching for codes online or offline
Re: Is Programming A Talent? by sigmainfo(m): 8:02am On Nov 01, 2012
Its a talent, skill, innovation, learning, implementing, allocating and more.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What PHP Cms/framework Do You Use And Why? / Algorithm For Solving Systems Of Linear Equations / How To Design School Result Sheet Automated System With Microsoft Excel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.