Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,158 members, 7,835,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival (655 Views)

Massive Protest In Egor LGA, Edo State Over 17 Months Unpaid Salaries (photos) / SERAP Drags 11 Governors To ICC Over Unpaid Salaries / Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by iceblingkid(m): 8:33am On Jun 23, 2016
Some workers in public and civil service in Bayelsa State have turned to begging to survive the hard economic realities in the state.
It was observed that some workers, in a bid to cope with the harsh economic condition foisted on them by unpaid salaries, had devised different means to beg in order to fulfil their financial obligations.
We learnt that the civil and public servants being owed about eleven months’ salaries by the Governor Seriake Dickson-led administration could no longer meet their personal and family obligations.
Many of them were said to be unable to pay their bills, children’s school fees and service their accommodation expenses.
Due to their inability to pay transportation fares, most of them could no longer attend to go to their work places and church activities while persons who managed to go end up begging for fares to go back home.
Some of them said they were dying of hunger, adding that they no longer went to work because of the lack of money for transport and feeding.
They recalled that Dickson had promised to promptly pay salaries of workers, but wondered why the governor, who was no longer executing projects, could not pay workers.
One of them, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of victimisation, said he stopped going to work because the government had not paid him since September 2015.
The source, who is a manager in the government owned Izon Ibe Community Bank, confessed, “I work in the state-owned micro-finance bank, but since September, I have not been paid. I can’t go to work because I need to look for something to do to feed my family. It has been very tough. Surviving in Bayelsa State has become so difficult.
“I wonder why an oil-producing state like Bayelsa cannot pay salaries. We learnt that states like Ebonyi and Taraba, with one of the least allocations, still pay salaries. But here, we are working in an oil-producing state without salaries.”
Not only that the state owned university has been on strike for 2 months now over the unpaid six months salary of lecturers.
Re: 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by ikbnice(m): 8:54am On Jun 23, 2016
so pathetic!
Re: 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by ybalogs(m): 9:01am On Jun 23, 2016
11 months?? That's so so not cool. What happens to the Scripture that says you shouldn't allow the sweat of a worker to dry before paying him/her.
Something has got to be done and fast.
Re: 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by bosschinalu(m): 9:05am On Jun 23, 2016
IF YOU THINK THIS STORY IS TRUE..

Re: 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by nuelyoyo(m): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2016
Too Bad.
Re: 11 Months Unpaid Salaries: Bayelsa Workers Turn To Begging For Survival by otokx(m): 7:43pm On Jun 23, 2016
They choose PDP so let them enjoy change the change.

(1) (Reply)

Woman Shows Off Injuries She Sustained During Election In Edo State / A List Of All The Angry People In The World / Buhari Seeks NASS Approval For NNPC, CBN, Others’ Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.