Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,237 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:23 AM

Why Relationships Fail And How To Make It Last Longer - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Relationships Fail And How To Make It Last Longer (356 Views)

Why Relationships Don't Last Long In This Era / Reasons why Relationships Are Important / 10 Reasons Why Relationships Fail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Relationships Fail And How To Make It Last Longer by hyman9ja(m): 1:01pm On Jun 23, 2016
“Happiness mainly comes from our own attitude, rather than from external factors.” ~Dalai Lama

If you get married today, there is a 60% chance that your relationship won’t last. Is finding true love really that hard or is there something else going on?

A research group from the Heriot-Watt University found that many people have a “warped sense of the perfect relationship” and “unrealistic expectations from their romantic partner.” They concluded that they got these unrealistic expectations from Hollywood love stories.

These movies have us longing for a Cinderella or Prince Charming who will sweep us off our feet and make us happier than we have ever been. But can we really expect our partners to make us happy? Is that even fair to them?

When I figured out this wasn’t the right approach to a relationship, I had already been in two failed ones. “Failed” may not be the right word, because I don’t regret them and I’m still friends with both of my exes, but these relationships were based on needs, from both partners.

After the second relationship, I was single for a long time, and that’s when I started working on myself.

When I started to see some changes in myself and in my life, I felt the desire to have a girlfriend again. I mentioned this to my mentor, and he said, “It’s not the girlfriend you want; it’s what you think she can give you.”

This was a real eye opener for me.

I realized that this desire was my ego telling me there was something missing in my life and that I needed to find someone else to fill this gap for me. I didn’t have a person in mind yet, but I was already being unfair to her by expecting so much of her. I was demanding love.

Demanding Love Vs. Sharing Love

If you expect your partner to make you happy, you are demanding love. If you were happy when you were single, you’re more likely to be happy in your relationship. And when you’re happy, you can focus on “sharing your love” instead of “demanding happiness.”

Do you see how this can make a world of difference in your relationship? When you go from “needing” love, affection, and support to fill a hole in yourself, to “sharing” love and happiness from a place of fullness, your relationship (and life!) will blossom into something truly amazing and lasting.

The Love Illusion

Not expecting anything from your partner doesn’t mean you can’t rely on them for support. It just means you don’t depend on them to ease the discomfort of being with yourself.

Even if it seems like they do that for a while, the absence of discomfort will be an illusion. It’s like taking aspirin. You may not feel the headache anymore, but what caused the headache is still there.

If you don’t like to spend time with yourself, you most likely don’t really love yourself. And if you don’t love yourself first, you cannot sincerely love someone else—or let yourself be loved by someone else.

Follow Link for FULL ARTICLE i promise you will enjoy it >>> http://lovefac3..com.ng/2016/06/why-relationships-fail-and-how-to-make.html#more

Related Article >>> http://lovefac3..com.ng/2016/06/when-love-is-not-enough-4-tips-for.html

More Here >>> http://lovefac3..com.ng/

We would love to hear from you...We wish you experience a happy and loving relationship as you find that person that compliments you and you compliment them too. Please don’t forget to follow us on the following channels. Thanks and remain blessed.

Follow us and Like Our Page

Facebook.com/LoveFactory
Twitter: @lovefac3

Whatsapp +234806684350

Re: Why Relationships Fail And How To Make It Last Longer by AnodaIT(m): 1:11pm On Jun 23, 2016
Buzz me when you start writing on

Why Money Finishes And How To Make It Last Longer

(1) (Reply)

Just Asking Tho / Beware Pls... / Must Read: My Life As A Yahoo Boy ( Part 1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.