Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. (12473 Views)

Rivers Rerun: APC Leading PDP After Results In 11 Seats~The Cable / Three Times The FBI Arrested ‘Corrupt’ Judges In US Just Like The DSS-The Cable / Photos From The APC National Caucus Meeting Held On Tuesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 7:29pm On Jun 24, 2016
The world woke up on Friday to receive the news that the United Kingdom had voted to pull out of European Union (EU).

Apart from Greenland, one of Denmark’s overseas territories, which gained a greater degree of self-government after a referendum in 1982, no nation state has ever left the EU.

But a total of 33.6 million people across 41,000 polling stations participated in a referendum with results – 51.9 for BREXIT and 48.1 against it – sending waves of shock across the world.

In Nigeria, the agitation for the sovereignty of Biafra regained momentum, particularly on social media, after the UK voters made the historic decision.

The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) are the groups in the frontline of the campaign for a separate state, and the appeal of the federal government has not made them shift ground.

The violence recorded during protests organised by these groups has been a source of concern. The effect of the recent one which occurred less than a month ago is still being felt.

While commemorating the 50th anniversary of the declaration of Biafra, campaigners clashed with security agents in different parts of the south-east. Both sides have continued to trade blame for the incidents, which left tales of woe.

Many were killed, some hospitalised, property destroyed, and some are still in detention. What is the solution to this problem? Should Nigeria hold a referendum to put the agitation to the test? We would like to hear from you‎.

SHOULD THERE BE A REFERENDUM ON BIAFRA?

https://www.thecable.ng/poll-referendum-held-biafra

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yes, a referendum should be held if the Federal government still think the people of the southeast have a say in their own destiny.

Denying them a referendum is a good indication that they don't value the feeling and aspirations of more than 40 million people living in the south eastern part of Nigeria, which will fuel more agitations.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by bluaero(m): 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2016
The time has come for Nigerians to sit together and evaluate our journey so far. And also to decide if we "really" want to continue as a country. The hate and disunity is at an all time high!!! Thanks to Buhari's 97% & 5% theory undecided

50 Likes 9 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by madridguy(m): 7:34pm On Jun 24, 2016
Ok
Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by SeverusSnape(m): 7:34pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yes, There should be a referendum.

That's how civilized societies make their choice.

Unfortunately, Nigeria is not civilized yet.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:37pm On Jun 24, 2016
bluaero:
The time has come for Nigerians to sit together and evaluate our journey so far. And also to decide if we "really" want to continue as a country the hate and disunity is at an all time high!!! Thanks to Buhari undecided

The only option is to continue to pretend all is well, while the nation quickly descend into a failed state.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Bespiel: 7:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
Is it an entity yet?
Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by satelliteDISH(m): 7:39pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yes. Yes, yes, .....

yes
yes

yes
yes

yes

yes..... I DON'T WANT TO BE A 5% ANYMORE. I want to be 100% in the Land Of The Rising SUN.

71 Likes 8 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 7:40pm On Jun 24, 2016
No other option left.

Yes to referendum.

26 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by FemiFimile: 7:40pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nationhood is not by force. Yes!

That is one thing we have learnt fron UK and Europe that put together our countries in Africa.

40 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2016
Bespiel:

Is it an entity yet?

Is Nigeria an entity yet?

3 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
How I wish the over rated Biafra issue will be put to e referendum, people will be shocked that most Igbo would rather stay in as Nigeria. Definitely, my vote will not go Biafra. I would rather prefer our greedy politician to restructure their appetite to our public fund.

I have already develop tough skin, because I know some of my brothers will start to insulting themselves not me now.

9 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by SeverusSnape(m): 7:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
amaechi1:
How I wish the over rated Biafra issue will be put to e referendum, people will be shocked that most Igbo would rather stay in as Nigeria. Definitely, my vote will not go Biafra. I would rather prefer our greedy politician to restructure their appetite to our public fund.

I have already develop tough skin, because I know some of my brothers will start to insulting themselves not me now.
Your moniker can't deceive anyone here, You and I know you're not Igbo. Swear by Amadioha and Sango.

67 Likes 8 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:46pm On Jun 24, 2016
successmatters:

The only option is to continue to pretend all is well, while the nation quickly descend into a failed state.

To you it is a failed state not to me.

1 Like

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Fairytales: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
Let the Igbos get out of Nigeria, they wont be missed.

4 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:

Your moniker can't deceive anyone here, You and I know you're not Igbo. Swear by Amadioha and Sango.

I don't need to swear by anything. My state of origin Enugu from Nkanu east

3 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Fyno: 7:47pm On Jun 24, 2016
Yes
Yes yes yes

I have patiently waited for Nigeria to work

But its obvious it's not working and won't work

Let's make it 3 smaller countries

Like that it will be easier to manage

Everyone will be 100%

Is gona be fun

30 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by pacino26(m): 7:48pm On Jun 24, 2016
The average Igbo man wants it like last yr. But the Elite Tribe comprising politicians who hide under the guise of 'no allocation' will want this unholy union to continue. Either a referendum or regional governance resource autonomy grin grin

So I vote YES

34 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:48pm On Jun 24, 2016
amaechi1:

To you it is a failed state not to me.

Either way, it is obvious to everyone.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Breadmaker: 7:48pm On Jun 24, 2016
Buhari and Obasanjo would rather lose everything they have than watch Biafra go.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by PentiumPro(f): 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2016
The Biafrans must leave every inch of Yorubaland, referendum or no referendum, they've overstayed their welcome in our midst

6 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Bespiel: 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2016
successmatters:

Is Nigeria an entity yet?

Is Africa an entity yet grin tongue?
Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2016
FemiFimile:
Nationhood is not by force. Yes!

That is one thing we have learnt fron UK and Europe that put together our countries in Africa.
But the same UK (Scotland) voted to stay together. UK is pulling out economic tires not geographic tires.

2 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:49pm On Jun 24, 2016
amaechi1:

Just another misguided fellow

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by successmatters(m): 7:50pm On Jun 24, 2016
PentiumPro:
The Biafrans must leave every inch of Yorubaland, referendum or no referendum, they've overstayed their welcome in our midst

Go and pursue them

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by Progressive01(m): 7:51pm On Jun 24, 2016
Totally in support!!

What most of all want as opposed to the useless noise, blackmails and ultimatums being dished out per second by pro-biafrans.

What people don't understand is that this clamour for biafra and Nigeria's handling of it is like two persons spoiling for a fight. The party who's all too aware they'd get a real bloody nose would act all aggressive, pushing and lurching forward as they are being restrained by a "peacemaker". But soon as the peacemaker decides to give way so both parties could slug it out, you see the aggressor develop an instant cold feet because they know the outcome of the rumble would be devastating for them.

If Nigerian government shows the slightest resolve to organise a referendum, I'm very sure the calls for it would start dying down.

I really don't think these guys wanna leave, they are simply using it to blackmail the government.

I pray we find the will to organise it so we can put this stuff behind us once and for all. Enough of the crap already.

11 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:53pm On Jun 24, 2016
successmatters:

Either way, it is obvious to everyone.

Times may hard but not peculiar to Nigeria. Angola case is even getting out hand. Any country that is planned on mono economy, compounded by greedy and selfish politician is bound to hit the rock.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by PentiumPro(f): 7:53pm On Jun 24, 2016
successmatters:

Go and pursue them

We want you out!!
You want to go, we are 101% in support, you evacuation from Yorubaland is long overdue
Your Biafra blackmail has completely turned against you, an average Nigerian, not the politicians want you out already
We don't need to pursue you, your YES decision will pursue you out naturally

5 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by otokx(m): 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
Shey Biafra does not include Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom and Cross River?

1 Like

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by TheOnlyWiseMan: 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
amaechi1:

That your moniker is Amaechi does not make you an Igbo man. So Stop this divisive comments.
There is no way everybody will support biafra, what matters is majority votes.

mind you, not all British voted for LEAVE
Britain voted themselves out of Europe with just little over 51% majority.

36 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by amaechi1: 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
successmatters:

Just another misguided fellow

Misguided because I don't believe in what you believed. An intelligent agitator would put his reasons forward to convince the other person, than to rain insults.
Just last year scotland voted to remain in the UK.

5 Likes

Re: POLL: Should A Referendum Be Held On Biafra?. THE CABLE. by SeverusSnape(m): 7:56pm On Jun 24, 2016
amaechi1:

... *laughing* grin

We igbos, we Niger Delta grin

Even QuotaSystem and Omenka once claimed Niger Delta.

28 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Begging R-APC, Not An Act Of Cowardice — Oshiomhole / Buhari Will Win 2019 Election With A Wide Margin - Presidency / Court Sacks Taraba APC Governorship Candidate, Bwacha, Orders Fresh Primary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.