Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? (1099 Views)

Friends Mourn As 26-year-old Lady Dies Months After Her Wedding. Photos / How Long Do You Use Towel Before Discarding It? / What Is The One Thing You Regret Not Asking Your Spouse Before Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by MrDojo(m): 5:30pm On Jun 28, 2016
Good day everyone...

I don't know if this topic should be in the family or romance section please bear with me

There is this question that has recently divided members of my "squad" and lead to hot debates among my friends and I, and that is; the appropriate mourning period to mourn for a spouse, before the widow(er) can move on?!

Please I'll like members of the house to chip in with one or two contributions, Since more of the members here are more matured and experienced...thank you

Mods ( lalasticlala and dominique ) I don't know if you can move this to the front-page...?
Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by Ladycloud(f): 5:53pm On Jun 28, 2016
Individual differences

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by voiceoftruthNG: 6:01pm On Jun 28, 2016
So many factors actually contribute, and d individual involved also
Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 28, 2016
Some people mourn for a year, some 4years and some continue to mourn forever. Everyone involved would definitely move on at one point or the another, but the memory forever lingers.

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 28, 2016
No definite number ascribed to it but your mind clock.
This is how it works.

When your brain trashes the memory, It only gets deleted from the conscious short term brain memory

but

it never gets deleted from the mind which serves as long term memory and embedded in the subconsciousness. You will remember it till death. Now when the mind clock is ready, Then you would have a new experience to counteror repress old experience (defense mechanism), Yes, falling in love is another way to suppress it but not erase it because its impossible.

The mind is also as power as making you completely thrashing out the long term memory of the dead, depending on the type of relationship you had with them when alive.

Lastly, Change of environment (nature/nurture) is very important, The environment shapes you and gives you a new perception of life. So that also helps in forging ahead with life easily.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by byvan03: 6:42pm On Jun 28, 2016
1 year minimum.

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by Lucky4real28(m): 3:54am On Jun 29, 2016
In my opinion, I think you can totally forget about your ex lover if you have dated more persons you did more with...trust me, when you date someone and the relationship seem to be so fun, you hardly think about your past because you have no reason to do that and when you don't a long time, it fades off...am not saying you totally forget like you have amnesia, but you just don't have it there like when you haven't been involved in more fun things.
aaronson:
No definite number ascribed to it but your mind clock.
This is how it works.

When your brain trashes the memory, It only gets deleted from the conscious short term brain memory

but

it never gets deleted from the mind which serves as long term memory and embedded in the subconsciousness. You will remember it till death. Now when the mind clock is ready, Then you would have a new experience to counteror repress old experience (defense mechanism), Yes, falling in love is another way to suppress it but not erase it because its impossible.

The mind is also as power as making you completely thrashing out the long term memory of the dead, depending on the type of relationship you had with them when alive.

Lastly, Change of environment (nature/nurture) is very important, The environment shapes you and gives you a new perception of life. So that also helps in forging ahead with life easily.

1 Like

Re: How Long Do You Mourn A Spouse Before Moving On? by Nobody: 5:10am On Jun 29, 2016
Lucky4real28:
In my opinion, I think you can totally forget about your ex lover if you have dated more persons you did more with...trust me, when you date someone and the relationship seem to be so fun, you hardly think about your past because you have no reason to do that and when you don't a long time, it fades off...am not saying you totally forget like you have amnesia, but you just don't have it there like when you haven't been involved in more fun things.
Exactly bro, you nailed it, That's what I call the heart mind problem or psychology of Deja vu

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Think My Life And Thoughts Are Complicated / Woman Divorces Her Husband For Not Paying Her Bride Price After 6 Years Of Marri / When A Woman Decides That It's Only The Children She'll Care For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.