Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,618 members, 7,823,704 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

A Lady's Last Name - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Lady's Last Name (5290 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Lady's Last Name by byvan03: 11:39am On Jul 02, 2016
Ladies spend too much time these days on unimportant issues. Why marry a man if taking his last name is a problem for you?I will drop any woman that brings up this ridiculous issue like hot coal, she is a potential trouble maker. I wish people spend half their time committing to their marriages than harping on the irrelevant.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Adaeze003(f): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2016
njokusboy:

The reason why women bear the mans name and not the other way is because the man takes all the giant strides in most marriages..... He woos the lady 99% of the time, proposes to her 99% of the time, pays her dowry 99% of the time ( in African marriages). Brings her to live in his house 90% of the time.... You see where am headed abi? No be follow follow, its just one of the unwritten rules of life.... Whoever pays the piper dictates the .......

These days, no one really cares about who plays the piper. Lol

Acidosis:

The so called unwritten rule is longstanding, so it shall continue to stand.
I have only one mission on Nairaland's family section: to depopulate the coven of feminists, and discombobulate their camps.
It is sad that those who preach feminism on this forum do not practise such in real life and in their homes, however, they derive pleasures in misleading the susceptible ones who only come here to read and learn.
If I can reduce their camps by 50%, even God will be happy with me.

You're fighting a lost battle sha but good luck still. wink
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 2:36pm On Jul 02, 2016
Acidosis:

The so called unwritten rule is longstanding, so it shall continue to stand.

I have only one mission on Nairaland's family section: to depopulate the coven of feminists, and discombobulate their camps.

It is sad that those who preach feminism on this forum do not practise such in real life and in their homes, however, they derive pleasures in misleading the susceptible ones who only come here to read and learn.

If I can reduce their camps by 50%, even God will be happy with me.

you won't succeed. see everyone has the freedom to live his/her own life,if I wanna keep my name after marriage no one can stop me. its none of anyone's business.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 2:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
[quote author=byvan03 post=47130582]Ladies spend too much time these days on unimportant issues. Why marry a man if taking his last name is a problem for you?I will drop any woman that brings up this ridiculous issue like hot coal, she is a potential trouble maker. I wish people spend half their time committing to their marriages than harping on the irrelevant.
[/quote

the lady will keep the guy's last name but will still retain her last name. i think the unimportant issue here is spending too much time on reasons why a lady shouldn't retain her last name after marriage. if she wants to keep it, she should..
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 2:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
njokusboy:

The reason why women bear the mans name and not the other way is because the man takes all the giant strides in most marriages..... He woos the lady 99% of the time, proposes to her 99% of the time, pays her dowry 99% of the time ( in African marriages). Brings her to live in his house 90% of the time.... You see where am headed abi? No be follow follow, its just one of the unwritten rules of life.... Whoever pays the piper dictates the .......

so cos a man does all that means his wife has lost all rights to her freedom particularly keeping her last name if she wants too. that's bad.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by byvan03: 3:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
[quote author=SWITANN post=47135683][/quote]

It's actually better she doesn't get married at all, that way she retains the name in its entirety.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 4:25pm On Jul 02, 2016
byvan03:

It's actually better she doesn't get married at all, that way she retains the name in its entirety.

HMMM. NA u sabi,have said mine own
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Ishilove: 4:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
SWITANN:
I for one don't see anything wrong in a lady wanting to keep her last name after marriage,the same reason a man would want to keep his father's name is the same reason why a woman wants to also. So she shouldn't be denied that chance. I would also like to keep my last name after marriage.
pls is it bad or good? COMMENT!!!
If her name is her brand then she should keep it. For example Chimamanda Adichie, Dakore Egbuson-Akande and Kate Henshaw-Nuttal before her divorce.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by bukatyne(f): 4:55pm On Jul 02, 2016
Adaeze003:
is it not funny that keeping your name is "follow-follow" syndrome but changing it isn't? grin

And then you're a proud person if you don't change but then part of the reason men complain against it is "they want you to be proud to bare their surname". grin

It is feminism if you don't change but not chauvinistic if you do? grin

All your reasons for wanting to keep your last name are fit for garbage but changing your name "because your mama did it" is sane? grin

Anyhow, such topics are important but at the end of the day, it's a decision you make with said hubby.

This is actually funny.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by byvan03: 5:00pm On Jul 02, 2016
SWITANN:

HMMM. NA u sabi,have said mine own

Sabi am well ooo
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2016
byvan03:

Sabi am well ooo

LOL...tho I want u to come join a team.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 5:17pm On Jul 02, 2016
Ishilove:

If her name is her brand then she should keep it. For example Chimamanda Adichie, Dakore Egbuson-Akande and Kate Henshaw-Nuttal before her divorce.

HMMM...ishilove pls email me.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by byvan03: 5:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
SWITANN:

LOL...tho I want u to come join a team.

What's the name of the team?
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
byvan03:

What's the name of the team?

team FYNESTBOI. plsssssss.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by byvan03: 6:05pm On Jul 02, 2016
SWITANN:

team FYNESTBOI. plsssssss.

Lol, I always prefer a ladies' thing.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 6:14pm On Jul 02, 2016
byvan03:

Lol, I always prefer a ladies' thing.

you can just make an exception....pls
Re: A Lady's Last Name by CNN80: 7:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
Your name is yours and yours alone. If you want to keep it or change it, it is your decision and your business. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

Don't bring such topics here unless you want trouble. It's as though as if you've not encountered the weird mindset of some people on this board.

In Islam, women aren't supposed to take their husband's name. It hasn't killed people in the North yet.

SWITANN:
I for one don't see anything wrong in a lady wanting to keep her last name after marriage,the same reason a man would want to keep his father's name is the same reason why a woman wants to also. So she shouldn't be denied that chance. I would also like to keep my last name after marriage.
pls is it bad or good? COMMENT!!!

1 Like

Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 7:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
CNN80:
Your name is yours and yours alone. If you want to keep it or change it, it is your decision and your business. There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides.

Don't bring such topics here unless you want trouble. It's as though as if you've not encountered the weird mindset of some people on this board.

In Islam, women aren't supposed to take their husband's name. It hasn't killed people in the North yet.

chillax now,we ain't fighting. I don't even understand the point you were trying to make.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 8:28pm On Jul 07, 2016
Acidosis:

"I am my own woman", so why insist on the father's name?

I will give you 10 reasons why a woman MUST drop her father's name, after you must have mentioned only ONE reason why a woman should retain her father's name aside PRIDE.

Just name 1, I will give you 10.

The truth is you all have absolutely no reason to retain the name aside Pride and of course, to prove the status of " Mrs Independent BUT married ". Why marry when you're independent? Why depend on daddy's name if you're truly independent?

acidosis pls I'll like to make a humble request from u. pls come join team FYNESTBOI. thank u.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 9:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
Ishilove:

ishilove pls I'll like you to come join my team, team FYNESTBOI. plsss
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 11:00pm On Jul 07, 2016
diva90:

Whatever! Every body must not buy into your opinion! When you marry a wife, if you do, hold a gun to her head and tell her not to try it. You might as well encourage her to completely cut away from her family since you have 'paid' her bride price. It's unfortunate that men like you fail to understand that marriage is not the end of a woman's life and does not completely cut her ties to her own family

diva pls i want u to come join team FYNESTBOI.
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 5:36am On Jul 10, 2016
SWITANN:

acidosis pls I'll like to make a humble request from u. pls come join team FYNESTBOI. thank u.

ermm, I've been told to stand with another candidate o. Let's see how it goes
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 9:36am On Jul 10, 2016
Acidosis:

ermm, I've been told to stand with another candidate o. Let's see how it goes

ok but the offer still stands. u r always welcome to team FYNESTBOI. thank u kiss
Re: A Lady's Last Name by Acidosis(m): 2:46pm On Jul 10, 2016
SWITANN:

ok but the offer still stands. u r always welcome to team FYNESTBOI. thank u kiss

Alright my fine sis. smiley
Re: A Lady's Last Name by taryour(f): 11:51pm On Jul 10, 2016
SWITANN:

so cos a man does all that means his wife has lost all rights to her freedom particularly keeping her last name if she wants too. that's bad.

Sorry are you from this planet EARTH
Re: A Lady's Last Name by SWITANN(f): 11:46am On Jul 11, 2016
taryour:

Sorry are you from this planet EARTH

mtcheew, just say what u want to say and stop asking baseless questions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Natural Method Of Inducing Labor In Pregnacy / My Neighbor Impregnated My Wife. Please Help!! / The Selfie That Broke The Internet! Spot The Fail.(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.