Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:45 AM

Honest Illusions - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Honest Illusions (11242 Views)

Please I Need Honest Criticism On This Story(anya) / My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Honest Illusions by ritababe(f): 7:57am On Jul 03, 2016
cherrybrown:
Am here
me too
Re: Honest Illusions by cherrybrown(f): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2016
ritababe:

me too
Ok dear,happy sunday
Re: Honest Illusions by ritababe(f): 10:51am On Jul 03, 2016
cherrybrown:
Ok dear,happy sunday
and happy new month
Re: Honest Illusions by cherrybrown(f): 11:01am On Jul 03, 2016
ritababe:

and happy new month
Thanks,same to you
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
Welcome Ritababe

Episode 10

Chris had made his way out of his lodge without thinking. He had felt something was wrong when Oprah hadn't turned up on time.

Why his Oprah, of all the girls on campus? Why now? If she had been involved in this born again thing when they met, he would not have touched her with a 50 feet pole. Just when he had begun to settle down, believing he found 'the one', everything seemed to be falling apart.

There was no way he could have any relationship with Oprah without being sexually expressive because goddamnit he could not keep his hands off her. And how else would she show him that she loved him? He was a man. It was a natural thing, a biological thing and if those hypocrites at RCF would say the truth, they could not do without sex either. If it was a sin then all his friends and every normal man were all sinners. Speaking about his friends, what would Tonye and Luke say? This would be a major falling hand on his part if he didn't handle issues with Oprah well.

It started drizzling as he walked down his street aimlessly. If he had agreed to meet Oprah outside her lecture hall, all these wouldn't have happened. He wasn't prepared to break up with her. But her decision to stop sleeping with him was as good as breaking them up. It was indeed a most confusing matter. He had to find a way out of this unbelievable situation. He looked at his wristwatch when he got to his lodge and was surprised to discover that he had been walking around for an hour. It was already 10:00pm.

Bleep! He left his phone in the room so he could not call his caretaker to open the gate. His best bet was to bang on the gate like a lunatic and rouse everyone in the lodge from sleep. He hated it but he had to do it anyways. After the third round of banging he heard his caretaker, Wene's voice.

"Who be dat?" He asked agitated.

"Oga Wene na me, Chris."

He sighed and after a few minutes, opened the gate. Chris could sense the tense atmosphere. Lately, the robbery attacks of student lodges in Aluu was on a steady increase giving every inhabitant of the place a cause for concern.

"Abeg no vex say I dey disturb. I no carry my phone commot," he explained to the caretaker.

"No lele, but next time try carry am o!"

"Sure, I go see you tomorrow morning when I dey commot."

This brightened Wene's features considerably, "Chris! Chris!! You be correct guy!"

The wan smile Chris plastered on his face for the benefit of his caretaker vanished as he got to the stairs leading to his room. He was a bit apprehensive. What if Oprah had left his room? It might not be a good idea to allow her a whole night to reflect over the events of the day. If she told any of her new fellow 'converts' or God forbid, any of those hypocritical RCFites what happened, he would certainly become history. He rushed back to the room and used his key to open the door hoping that she would still be there waiting for him.

To Chris' relief, Oprah was still in his room, sleeping. He could not believe his luck as he gently woke her up.

"Oprah, I'm so sorry, I don't know..."

Oprah would not let him continue. "Oh Chris!" She gasped and hugged him. "You're home safe. I'm so sorry, I should have been more understanding. I shouldn't have sounded that way, I should ha__"

She didn't know what she was saying. All she knew was that she could not bear the thought of breaking up with him as the tears she had tried to hold on to escaped her eyes.

He held her tightly and covered her face with kisses as she also clung to him tightly. He could taste the salty tears as they cascaded in trickles. His kisses became more intense and although Oprah tried to resist, she gave in and they had sex.

(To be contd.)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 04, 2016
Episode 11

It was 2:00 p.m on Monday and Oprah still had not got up from her bed. She missed her 10:00 a.m lecture and she still didn't have the inclination to get up from her bed where she had lain since 7:00 a.m.

She felt miserable as she reflected over the events of that weekend. She had thought her desire for sex would have disappeared since she was now a christian. But it hadn't felt like that two nights ago when she had moaned and writhed in pleasure as Chris' adept fingers and lips touched places in her body. Places she didn't know could elicit such pleasurable feelings in her and would leave her begging for more.

She cringed as memories of the time spent with Chris over the weekend played over and over in her head. The evangelist had explained that when you got saved you became a new creature, "old things pass away and all things become new." Apparently it didn't include her desire for sex

She had imagined that it would be easy to stop having sex with Chris. That had not happened instead she had yearned for it, she had begged him to continue. She knew she had sinned and felt very ashamed. It was as if she had betrayed someone's trust and there was no one to talk to. Nobody could possibly understand how she felt.

Her phone beeped with a message. She did not feel like looking at her phone let alone reading the message. She did not want any communication with the outside world, she felt so sad and guilty. She wanted to turn her phone face down on her bedside stool where it was but changed her mind and decided to read the message.

It was from RCF UNIPORT and it was an invitation to the new convert's class that evening. She had forgotten all about it and wondered if she was still a convert after all she had done with Chris. She wondered if she was even God's child after last weekend.

Despite her misgivings, as she stared at the message, something inside her seemed to be nudging her to attend the new convert's class. She really did not understand very much about being saved and the RCFites seemed to be the only ones who knew anything about it.

Of course she had not made it to church on Sunday morning, she was not sure but it was almost as if Chris did not want her near RCF even though it was just opposite his lodge. He did not go to church either. He said he just wanted them to be together all weekend.

Now she felt terrible. She had a conviction that God was not with her. She had heard that a Catholic could confess to a reverend father who would prescribe what they had to do to get their sins forgiven. She did not know whether confessing to the president of RCF would have the same effect. As there was no point staying in her room and feeling miserable, she decided to go for the new converts class later in the evening.

Sunnas Restaurant, Aluu...

Chris was having dinner with his two best friends, Tonye and Luke. They were his friends from the same department but everyone in their class knew both boys were bad news. It was even rumored that Tonye was a member of the deadliest cult on campus, the dreaded "V".

"Oh boy wida that your chick na, wetin you tell me say she dey yarn on Friday?" Tonye said after a thoughtful swallow of the palatable fufu and egusi soup before him.

"O mehn, no be small thing o!" Chris intoned licking off the remains of native soup on his fingers. " I no no wetin carry am go RCF on friday wey she come room that evening dey yarn kpaks. She say she don turn born again say our kpanshing na sin."

Both boys burst into raucous laughter that attracted some stares from the other customers seated in the small restaurant. Chris was feeling a little uncomfortable at the attention they were attracting.

Tonye placed a reassuring palm on his shoulders. "O boy no vex say we dey laugh but the thing just funny die."

"As in eh, all these Uniport girls no get chill. Instead make she say she don see another bobo, she wan use born again do excuse."

Chris was taken aback, "Another bobo how?"

"O boy no tell me say you believe that her story?" Tonye asked incredulous.

"I believe am o. Oprah no be like other girls, she dey different."

Tonye and Luke burst into laughter again, louder and more sarcastic this time.

"Story for the dogs! No be only different, my guy leave trash for LAWMA jare," Tonye replied. "That b*tch has found another guy and she wants to leave you for him. If una commot kpanshing from the relationship, wetin go remain?"

Chris jolted upright in his chair and seemed uneasy at Tonye's assertions.

"Don't tell me you believed that her stupid excuse that she's now born again? Everyone is born again on campus in case you haven't noticed. I attend church regularly every Sunday." Luke said.

Tonye smirked, "as in eh, every Sunday service was a hit back-to-back."

Chris was deep in thought and didn't join in on their jokes. Tonye and Luke seemed to have a point, maybe that was the real reason why Oprah was beginning to act funny. It was all beginning to make sense.

"O boy leave that babe, she don cast. No worry you go find another babe, dem full ground," Tonye was saying.

But Chris did not hear, he could not bring himself to hear what his friends were telling him. He loved Oprah, he didn't want any of the other girls. None of them compared to her in beauty and pedigree. She was the best thing to happen to him in a while and he would be damned to let her go.

Never. If he did not have her, no one else would have his Oprah. Nobody, he vowed silently.

(To be contd.)

Read episodes of new series 'Ije Awele' on ikcheez..com

2 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 05, 2016
Keep it up. . . .following

2 Likes

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:58am On Jul 06, 2016
Welcome darkenedrebel

Episode 12

For inexplicable reasons Oprah felt a bit better as she hurried towards the fellowship centre. The sun was lazily going down and she could see a few people whom she easily recognized as brothers and sisters by their dressing. No skirts above the knees and different types of headgear to cover their hair. The men had their shirts buttoned to the neck, some wore ties and dress shoes. Everyone had their Bibles with them and they were all heading to the fellowship site.

When she got closer, she could hear voices singing a popular song 'what can was away my sins?' Drum beats, piano and some hand claps accompanied the song. Oprah smiled dryly, it would be nice to have her sins washed away

There were about 30 people already there. Oprah moved inside quietly, wishing she was invisible. An usher led her to a seat and she placed her Bible on the chair and joined the singing. As she sang, she looked around her. She recognized a few faces, mostly female. Everyone looked happy, although she could sense a restraint in their dancing. Most of them, especially the ladies, appeared self-conscious. She wondered what Chris would say about her being there. He didn't like RCFites. Perhaps that was because he didn't know or understand them.

Oprah was so deep in thought she didn't notice that someone was saying hello to her. A smiling guy took Oprah's hands.

"I'm glad you could make it," his rich baritone sent a shiver up Oprah's spine as she looked into the face of the preacher of the other day.

The rest of his words were lost on her as she stared into his dark eyes. His rosy lips were moving but she didn't hear him through the rush of blood in her ears.if guys looked this good as preachers, then pastor wives were the luckiest women. She snapped out of her reverie and forced herself to focus on what he was saying.

"We didn't see you in church on Sunday morning. I'm sorry; I was supposed to have called you up to make sure you were fine."

"Thank you," Oprah replied. Such brotherly concern, I'm liking RCF already. cheesy "I wasn't quite myself on Sunday that was why I couldn't make it."

Liar, liar, pants on fire... undecided

He didn't probe any further.

"My name is Seye Akintunde," he introduced himself.

"Oprah Williams," she said.

"Nice to meet you Oprah, I'll see you later," he concluded smiling as he moved towards the back.

Oprah felt much better than when she came in after the service ended. Brother Seye had been the minister once again and she could only describe the experience as rapturous. She had wondered at some point during the service how a good looking guy like Seye could be so vibrant in the service of the Lord. Chris had painted most of the guys in RCF as lacking any sense of fashion or comeliness, he just had to meet Seye.

Speaking of which, she brought out her phone and checked out the call log. Chris had been calling her all through the service, she had not answered out of old habit. Now the call log showed he had given her 15 missed calls. What was with the frequency of the calls? she wondered idly.One would think it was an emergency.

She shrugged and picked up her bag and Bible, she would call him when she got home as it was already getting late. A dark night on the streets of Aluu left little to be desired. And she didn't want a repeat of Friday night.

She saw Seye speaking with a lady and there were three others waiting to speak with him. She moved closer to say thank you and goodbye. To her surprise, Seye turned towards her direction and asked her if she would not mind waiting for him, so they could walk back together.

As she waited, she watched Seye counsel several people. She could not hear what they were saying, but she could see the relief written all over those counseled by the time Seye was through with each one. In her heart, Oprah admired Seye. There was so much peace around him and everyone seemed to admire him. Even though he was very good looking, there seemed to be a glow all over him. He was always so relaxed and smiling.

Finally, Seye was through.

"How was the service?" He asked Oprah as they exited the church compound.

A lone figure by the gate drew Oprah's eyes and she swallowed uneasily. Chris stepped out of the shadows.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't my born again girlfriend."

(To be contd)

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 11:40am On Jul 07, 2016
Episode 13

"C-Chris" Oprah stuttered, confused.

He cast a malicious glance at the guy beside Oprah. He looked too handsome to be a genuine brother. Must be one of them hypocrites who acted pious in church but committed worse crimes outside church, Chris thought with disgust.

"Come on girlfriend, introduce me to your fellow brethren," his tone had the right amount of sacarsm and he watched with satisfaction as Oprah riveted her gaze on the ground in obvious embarrassment.

"Hello, I'm Seye Akintunde, you must be Christopher," he said in one of the most cultured English accents Chris had heard, he surely had to be faking it undecided

Chris sneered at him, "I prefer Chris. I'd really love to stay and chit-chat but I haven't got the time. I'm here for Oprah, bae, let's go home."

"Oh how marvelous, we happen to be on our way home too. You see, I stay in the same lodge with Oprah so I wanted us to walk home together. But now you're here, you're welcome to join us." Chris didn't like Seye's smug smile and confidence.

"You really shouldn't bother, Seyi or was it Seun?"

"Seye." Oprah said from beside him. "And like he said, we were on our way home. Your lodge is just across, I don't want you to go out of your way at this time of the night. Good night Chris."

Chris was furious but he watched helplessly as they both walked away. He glared once more at Seye's retreating figure. Something about him seemed odd and out of place. Were brethren this friendly in RCF? He doubted it. Something definitely smelt fishy about this.

"I don't know what to say," Oprah began after they had walked some distance away from Chris.

"Your boyfriend?"

Oprah nodded. "I didn't know he would be waiting outside church to cause such a scene."

"Was he the reason you could not make it to church on Sunday?"

Oprah nodded again. "Its crazy because Chris isn't always like this, today's just__"

"Its all right Oprah, it happens." Seye said and reassured her with a smile.

(To be contd)

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 07, 2016
Laveda:
Oprah Oprah, this is gonna be a tough journey for her with Chris around cry embarassed

Sha she shouldn't get pregnant. lipsrsealed

Lol, yeah

But pregnancy isn't the worst that could happen na
Re: Honest Illusions by iykekelvins(m): 6:40am On Jul 08, 2016
Following Back-2-Back
Nice story
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 08, 2016
Thanks Iykekelvins smiley

Episode 14

Later that night...

Oprah sat on her bed, reflecting on the talk she had with Seye as they walked back home to their lodge. He truly stayed in the same lodge and block as her, Pritaso Block B but Oprah did not know till today. However Seye did because he had seen her around a couple of times. Only a few minutes in Seye's company confirmed to Oprah that he was not faking his devotion to the things of God. Not that she had any doubts about it. She could not deny it had felt so good to talk to someone who didn't seem the least judgmental or arrogant. Maybe that was why all those brethren in church found him easy to talk to.

"How did you find the service?" He asked.

"I dunno, it was quite an interesting experience. It really felt like you were talking to me. How did you know?"

Seye chuckled, amused. "How did I know what?"

"Come on Seye, most of the things you said back there were really some of the things I'm experiencing at the moment. Hearing you talk about them made me feel like I am not alone."

"You're never alone Oprah, you have the Holy Spirit within you and he's your greatest friend and ally. No matter what issues you face, you just have to call on him and he would come to your rescue."

Oprah's phone buzzed beside her on the bed, effectively snapping her out of her reverie. She saw she had a ping from Chris.

"What's up bae? You home yet?"

After the embarrassment he caused her this evening she marveled at his audacity. She put off her phone without replying him. He definitely stepped way out of line this time undecided

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 08, 2016
Episode 15

"Who's Seye to you?" He demanded as he strode into the room immediately she opened the door.

Oprah groaned. "Chris please..."

"Please what? Who the hell is he and why was he acting all territorial about you last night?"

"That's ridiculous Chris because the last I remember, you were the one acting territorial! You're the one always acting territorial!"

His eyes narrowed to slits, "are you shouting at me Oprah?"

His voice was dangerously low and Oprah found herself backing down in the face of his fury. "He's just a church member."

"He's just a church member yet you found it cozy to walk home with him, no doubt laughing your heads off at the expense of your lunatic boyfriend."

"Chris please stop this, I'm preparing for school."

"Is he the reason you decided to stop sleeping with me too?" He asked unrelenting and when Oprah didn't reply, he got more furious. "Is he?!"

"No, of course not." Oprah was getting more confused by the minute, what was wrong with Chris? This was definitely not the guy she said 'yes' to at that party.

"So who was? Huh? And why didn't you reply my message last night?"

Oprah had had enough, she walked to her wardrobe to pick out her clothes without replying him. When he was tired of making a fool of himself, he would leave. Something was definitely wrong with him. But she miscalculated.

Chris was past the mood for niceties. He strode to her and pulled her back by her shoulders. "Don't ignore me while I'm talking to you..."

"Or you'll do what?" Oprah was furious now. "If you aren't tired, I am Chris, I am. I'm tired of your posturing and petty jealousy, I'm __"

Before she could continue his palm whipped out and struck her face. Oprah staggered under the force of the slap and sat on the bed. She was astounded.

"Y-you slapped me?"

Chris looked shell shocked. The scales suddenly seemed to have fallen out of his eyes. "I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to."

"Get out!" She said softly, "get out of my sight!"

He looked puzzled as he mumbled an apology to her and left. Oprah massaged her aching cheeks in slow circles. What the hell was wrong with Chris?

(To be contd)

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by ritababe(f): 12:16pm On Jul 08, 2016
lol furious Chris
Re: Honest Illusions by Edezz(m): 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2016
More updates pls...am following...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by daveson07: 6:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
I've been following since d day u started nd i've never been glued to a story as this

u got all my attention,pls dn't keep my hope up too much,,,keep it cumin i'm wit yah

u ar one hell of a writer Suigeneris93

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jul 08, 2016
daveson07:
I've been following since d day u started nd i've never been glued to a story as this

u got all my attention,pls dn't keep my hope up too much,,,keep it cumin i'm wit yah

u ar one hell of a writer Suigen eris93

Awwwwn! I really appreciate this

I sure will smiley

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 7:38am On Jul 09, 2016
Top of the morning everyone, I really apppreciate the likes, shares and comments, keep it coming people cheesy

Also you can visit www.ikcheez..com for more interesting stories by the author, don't forget to leave your comments too kiss kiss

Update in a bit cheesy
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 09, 2016
Episode 16

Convocation Arena, Abuja Campus, two days later...

"Oprah wait!" Chris exclaimed behind her as she walked away. When she didn't stop, he hurried after her and held her hand.

She whirled to face him angrily. "What is it Chris? Haven't you had enough?"

"Baby I'm sorry, I've been trying to apologize for what I did. I'm so sorry, I swear I don't know what came over me."

Oprah cast a furtive glance around at the audience they were beginning to get. "Can we not just do this here? There are people watching."

"I don't care about them Oprah, you're the one I care about. Please forgive me," he said and went down on his knees, still holding on to her hand. "I don't want to lose you baby."

What the hell

"Chris please get up, all of this isn't necessary," she didn't like the attention and side-eyes they were beginning to get from students walking through the crowded Arena. Some of her colleagues having lectures were outrightly staring at them. "Please let's go talk some place else, not here," she pleaded.

Chris was obstinate. "Not until you tell me you've forgiven me."

"Fine! I've forgiven you. Can you stand up now?"

Chris grinned, "Anything you say sweetie," he said and got on his feet. "Let's go grab some lunch at my place. I made some stew yesterday and everyone has made glowing comments about it. You've not had lunch, I'm sure you must be famished."

I'll pass undecided

"Er...the thing is, I have another class in 20 minutes. There'll be no way I'll be there on-time if we go to your place."

"Alright, Ofirima Mr Biggs then? Baby please don't reject my offer. I really want to make it up to you. I know my attitude the other day was downright annoying."

Oprah sighed, suddenly weary. "Okay, Ofirima Mr Biggs it is."

(To be contd.)

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 09, 2016
Episode 17

RCF, Aluu...

Oprah couldn't believe the change that had come over Chris. For the past two weeks, he had been nothing but a gentleman to the hilt. No arguments, no show of jealousy and the most important, no demand for sex. As if that wasn't enough, she had managed to convince him to come for Tuesday service with her and to her surprise, he had.

He was standing up for first timers recognition and Oprah felt her spirits soar. If they managed to move past this phase in their relationship, they could have their own happily ever after. God knows that was what she wanted because she loved Chris so much. No guy had ever made her feel like she meant the world to him like he did. Her friends usually talked about how their first relationships went sour after a couple of months but Oprah didn't want that to happen to her and Chris. They loved each other and planned to get married after school. Things just had to work out for them!

Seye had seen Oprah come into the fellowship site with Chris in tow and he had been slightly surprised. Oprah had told him all about their relationship and the fracas that had followed her announcement of giving her life to Christ. She was genuine about it, that he could tell but Chris was another matter.

For the past few days during their walks back home from church, she had gushed about the sudden change that seemed to have come over Chris. He was happy for her but something about Chris' manner didn't gel with the story. He didn't want to seem like a cynic so he had been pleasantly happy for Oprah but in his heart of hearts, he prayed that Chris had genuinely changed.

Chris was getting increasingly impatient but he tried his best not to show it. Oprah was still having a nice chat with her newfound 'friend', Seye, who she never seemed to stop talking about. He glanced at his wristwatch, they had kept him waiting for almost 20 minutes!

He watched them warily. Oprah had told him, her and Seye were nothing but good christian friends but Chris found it difficult to believe. Not with the way he always seemed to crop up in every conversation they had or the way she spent more time in Seye's company than his lately. His eyes narrowed as he regarded them, Seye seemed like every boyfriend's worst nightmare; handsome, suave and with the whole 'born again' vibe, he was bound to get any girl he wanted, her being in a relationship, notwithstanding. Chris knew Seye was bound to make a move on his girlfriend because she was quite a looker. No man, worth his salt, wouldn't want to be with her. But he wasn't going to give up Oprah without a fight. He would become the perfect boyfriend so she would find it difficult to leave him. He just couldn't stand the thought of Oprah in another man's arms, he couldn't.

(To be contd)

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by charlie42(m): 9:42pm On Jul 09, 2016
Amazing story. God bless your golden pen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by Edezz(m): 10:57am On Jul 12, 2016
Suigeneris93...come out come out wherever u are...am getting really addicted to this story...more updates pls... embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Honest Illusions by Nwiboko26(f): 7:20pm On Jul 12, 2016
With ur descriptions u r really familiar with d environs of uniport .ofrima,arena,ps hall,new lecture hall.cbn,etf nd mama abuja lol.keep it up dear.GOD bless ur handwork.

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 12, 2016
Edezz:
Suigen eris93...come out come out wherever u are...am getting really addicted to this story...more updates pls... embarassed

Awwwn! Thanks
I'm here now smiley
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jul 12, 2016
Nwiboko26:
With ur descriptions u r really familiar with d environs of uniport .ofrima,arena,ps hall,new lecture hall.cbn,etf nd mama abuja lol.keep it up dear.GOD bless ur handwork.

Thanks ma'am smiley

Uniport is actually my alma mata
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 12, 2016
Episode 18

Pritaso Block B, two weeks later...

Oprah was humming all the way home. She felt so happy and at peace with herself and couldn't remember feeling this way in a really long time. She unlocked her room door and after entering, put on the light. She jumped back immediately when she saw she wasn't alone.

"Chris!" She squeaked, "you startled me!" He had probably used the spare key she gave him to let himself in.

"Its 10pm, where have you been?" He asked calmly, rising from the bed. "I called and sent you messages for hours and nothing. You didn't pick any of my calls or reply my messages."

"Oh that," Oprah shrugged. "I was in a prayer meeting, went on a retreat. Couldn't pick your calls. I was planning to call when I got back home."

"What prayer meeting and with who? I don't remember seeing a service ongoing when I passed RCF this evening. Infact from what I remember, the gate was locked!" His voice was beginning to take on an edge Oprah didn't like.

"It was at the secretariat in Choba, Seye can attest to it."

At the mention of Seye, Chris seemed to go rigid. "You're a bloody liar!" He bellowed. "I saw Seye coming back from classes when I came looking for you and he's been in his room ever since!"

"Don't raise your voice at me or call me names, that Seye can attest to it doesn't mean he was in my company. If you'd asked him about it, he would have told you! Look I'm tired, can we not do this please?"

"What games are you playing Oprah?"

"What are you talking about? I'm not playing any games" she replied befuddled. Something about Chris' demeanor was sending shivers down her spine.

"So tell me where the bloody hell you've been all day!"

"On retreat like I told you!"

Oprah didn't see his arm shoot out until it was too late. He gave her a resounding slap that sent her staggering backwards. She was shocked to her bones.

"You slapped me? How dare you_"

"And I'll do it again if you don't tell me where the hell you've been for the past 6 hours! You liar!" Chris spat not bothering to hide his rage.

Oprah was angry but she managed to fight for control. She walked over to her door and wrenched it open.

"Get out of my room," she said calmly.

"What?!"

"I said get out of my room and give me back my keys. I don't ever want to see you again!"

She didn't see the almost maniacal glimmer in his eyes as he lunged for her, until it was too late. He shoved her hard to the floor and started slapping her. The last thing she could remember was the sting of the metal buckle on her exposed skin and the salty wetness that warmed her mouth before she slipped away into quiet.

(To be contd)

3 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by iykekelvins(m): 11:31pm On Jul 12, 2016
Finally, another update smiley
Chris no get chill sha
Re: Honest Illusions by daveson07: 10:52pm On Jul 13, 2016
Ur updates are deteriorating day by day,,u dn't need to give us too much suspense,it's nt a movie it's a story plss

bt i kinda feel like Oprah Behaviours are getting d best of her nd Chris is nt d type to hold it in
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 14, 2016
iykekelvins:
Finally, another update smiley

Chris no get chill sha

I'm telling you

Sorry for the delay dear
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:12am On Jul 14, 2016
daveson07:
Ur updates are deteriorating day by day,,u dn't need to give us too much suspense,it's nt a movie it's a story plss

Noted! Sorry about that dear. Two episodes coming up wink

bt i kinda feel like Oprah Behaviours are getting d best of her nd Chris is nt d type to hold it in

Yeah, too bad
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:14am On Jul 14, 2016
Episode 19

UPTH, two days later...

When she opened her eyes, she knew at once that she was not in her bed. The mattress was firmer than hers. She made to get up, but pain shot through her whole body. She collapsed back.

"Oh my baby, Oprah!" Her mother stood up and pressed her hand to her forehead, then her face to hers. "Thank God. Thank God you are awake."

Her face felt clammy with tears. She looked disheveled and disoriented, something Oprah had not seen in a long time. The honorable Justice Williams was always steadfast in her dressing with no hair out of place but now a few hairs escaped the messy bun on her head. It was shocking to see her like this.

"Where am I?" She asked.

"My baby, you're in a hospital, you've been out for two days after what that brute did to you."

She gasped as memories from that day came flooding back. "Chris." She mumbled.

Her mother's eyes turned to burning spheres at the mention of his name. "That brute! He's going to wish he was never born by the time I'm done with him." She whispered fiercely.

A doctor in white was in the room, at the foot of her bed. He was speaking slowly but precisely, yet she could not hear it all. Broken rib. Heal nicely. Head concussion. She was not sure if it was all a dream. She closed her eyes.

Seye's face was looking down at her when she opened her eyes. She was dreaming it, imagining it and yet she wished that it did not hurt so much to smile, so that she could.

"Oprah. Oprah. Are you awake?" Seye's voice was deeper, less melodious in her dreams.

"Ophie!" It was her sister, Ruth's voice. Her face appeared next to Seye's. She was attired in a corper's uniform, Oprah wanted to joke about her status as an otondo but she couldn't get the words out. She tried to smile, she felt woozy. Something was slipping out of her, slipping away, taking her strength and sanity, and she could not stop it.

(To be contd)

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 1:16am On Jul 14, 2016
Episode 20

She opened her eyes hours later. It was dark, and the light bulbs were off. In the glimmer of light from the hallway that streamed underneath the closed door, she could see her mother's figure on a chair at the foot of her bed.

"Honey, I will be here all night. Sleep. Rest," she said. She got up and sat on her bed. She caressed her hair. "I was so scared when they called and told me what had happened. I've prayed more than I thought I could these past few days. Now the doctor says you're going to be okay." She traced her hand down Oprah's cheeks that had looked swollen and puffy the day before. "Your father has been by your bedside every night these past three days. He has not slept a wink."

Oprah's smile was wan as she looked at her mother in the dim room. At least her and her father had gotten over their differences to attend to their child. She felt herself drifting away again.

Two days later...

Seye told her that evening that she would be discharged in two days. But she would not be going back to her room. She would be coming to school from her father's place on Sani Abacha, Old GRA. It was going to be quite a shuttle to school from Town but that had been the only compromise her mother was able to reach with her father who had wanted her sent abroad to continue her studies.

Seye had told her mother all that had transpired between Oprah and Chris. Chris was overwhelmingly protective and jealous that's why he had been livid that day. Justice Williams had wanted him to rot in prison for what he did to her daughter but he'd gotten off with a light sentence because of his parent's influence.

"I don't even know where to start," Oprah muttered after he was done. "It was so foolish of me to think he had changed and actually hope for a future of us together."

Seye took one of her hands in his, "it wasn't dear. Its just a part of the human nature to always look for some good in others."

"I guess. Sometimes I wish I could be like you Seye, wise, thoughtful and so at peace with yourself and everyone," Oprah sighed.

A soft smile played on Seye's lips as he stared deeply into her eyes, "I wasn't always like this, infact I was the direct opposite of this," he said gesticulating at himself, "several years ago."

"Oh wow, I find that quite hard to believe."

"Believe it dear, everyone has a past and Seye Akintunde's was really messy."

Well, you're in luck," she said smiling. "I'm in the mood for a nice bedtime story."

Seye's smile widened brightening his features as his fingers softly caressed her hands, "Alright then." He said softly.

The End.

Watch out for Seye's story in all new episodes of 'Guilty Pleasures' coming soon.

6 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Best Military Organized Crime Inclined Story You Have Read On Nairaland / The Seer...in Your Mind! / Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.