Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,456 members, 7,770,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:06 AM

Honest Illusions - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Honest Illusions (11244 Views)

Please I Need Honest Criticism On This Story(anya) / My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie / It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honest Illusions by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 30, 2016
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Copyright c 2014 by K. C

All rights reserved, including the right of reproduction in whole or in part in any form

Also published on www.graftedbranches.

P.s:Feedback, contribution and suggestions are highly welcome
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 9:55pm On Jun 30, 2016
Episode 1

Oprah turned and tossed that night, restless in body as different things that sounded like mosquitoes buzzed from ear to ear and jumpy in mind as possible bad scenarios flitted in and out of her imagination. Several questions with no answers buzzed around her head.
What if things didn't go as planned? What if this turned out to be a bad idea? The questions kept popping up. Endless possibilities, so many questions with no answers in sight.

At so many points on this dark, starless night, she tried to lull her mind and body to sleep by playing the most soothing songs on her phone but her agitated mind would not be calm. She blamed it all on her big Lagos trip coming up in the morrow. But she knew deep down, it was not true. This was not the first time she was going to Lagos.

She looked again at their chat history. Still the same sweet and kind words from the guy who assured her that she had captured his heart. For the past two weeks, his messages had left her grinning from ear to ear and sometimes erupting in loud fits of laughter which made everyone around question her sanity. Her best friend had made it a point of duty to tease her endlessly.

The cause of her frayed nerves was this. It was him. Chris - a guy she met on social media and chatted with everyday and night for the past fourteen days.

Fourteen days?

It felt like forever.

They exchanged numbers, house addresses etc from the first day. Oprah and her sister, Ruth, stayed with their father in Port Harcourt and she had newly gotten admission into the prestigious University of Port Harcourt where Chris was a student. His parents stayed in Lagos and he was there for the duration of the holidays which was two months long.

Only now, two weeks later, she was embarking on a trip to Lagos to not only stay with her mother but to meet this stranger she was already falling in love with.
Would she regret it? Would it all be a mistake? She was not certain, she was only certain of one thing - time would tell.

She tossed and turned countless times during the night and the last thing she remembered before she drifted off to sleep was the way she felt her heart skip when she saw his pictures the first time. Truly, she had the hots for this guy.

Lagos, five days later...

Oprah lay on her bed staring at the ceiling. She could feel butterflies fluttering all over her stomach. She had been feeling so good that she hadn't even had an argument with Ruth in days! She sat up in her black jeans pant and blue top. Hugging her knees, her thoughts went back to Chris. Was she falling in love? She was so relaxed and happy anytime she was with him. Chris hadn't asked her to be his girlfriend, but she knew he was going to, very soon and she was dying to say 'yes'. Chris was considerate and was always looking for ways to make her feel good. She smiled as she remembered him carrying her off the floor and spinning her round the room in his arms while she shrieked and laughed at his antics. He had also recited a poem about being willing to do anything to make her happy.

"Oprah, your boyfriend is on the phone." Ruth, her elder sister shouted from the living room, interrupting her reverie. Ruth was three years older than her and had just bagged a degree in Petroleum Engineering from the University of Port Harcourt. She accompanied Oprah to their mother's for the period of awaiting her NYSC posting. Oprah jumped up and ran down the stairs.
Ruth rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath,

"Lover birds" and Oprah giggled. She had been teasing her for the last three days.

"Hi Chris, what's up?"
"Hello baby. I just wanted to hear your sweet voice."
Oprah gushed. "You're not serious."
"What are you doing this evening?" Chris asked.
"Nothing. Why?"
"Would you go to a party with me?"
"Where?"
"Dolphin Estate. One of my friends back at school is having a birthday bash. Its going to be fun."
Oprah hesitated. "I have to ask my mom."
"We should be back by 8:00pm."
Oprah didn't think her mom would mind.
"Cool. Can Ruth come too?" She asked.
Three is a crowd, he mumbled to himself.
"Of course, if she wants to."
"Okay, when will you be here to pick us up?"
"At 4:00pm. We have to beat the traffic."
Oprah looked at the wall clock. "That's in thirty minutes!"
No use, Chris had dropped the phone

(To be contd)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 01, 2016
Episode 2

Ilupeju street, Dolphin Estate, Ikoyi was far from quiet, thanks to the noisy party going on in number twenty-six on the normally quiet neighborhood. The sitting room of a beautiful three bedroom detached house was the heart of the party.

In all, there were about fifty boys and girls. Most of the girls were dressed in tight fitting clothes that revealed virtually everything while most of the boys were in jeans and custom-made T-shirts that had the celebrant's smiling face.

It was just getting dark outside, but the sitting room was well lit with multicoloured bulbs. Oprah looked around her. The smells and fumes coming from burning cigarettes and weed, which was in abundant supply, were almost unbearable. She was sitting alone in a corner waiting for Chris who had gone to get some drinks. They had only danced twice. The dancing floor was over crowded. Oprah could see bodies swaying to Wizkid's latest release. She tried to listen to the lyrics of the songs without much success. The rhythm was great anyhow.

Oprah felt a gentle tap on her shoulder and turned around. Standing beside her was a tall, muscular boy, wearing one of the custom-made T-shirts that was so tight it was a wonder it contained his rippling muscles.

"Hey, baby, wanna dance?"

He had a nice smile too. Chris was nowhere in sight and the music was great.
"Sure."

They moved on to the crowded floor and the muscular boy got some space quickly. No one would want to bump into him accidentally. Soon, Oprah realized he was not a bad dancer. Infact he was good. He moved well for his size and she tried to keep up.

Chris arrived with the drinks and wondered where Oprah had gone. He soon sighted her with King Kong. He knew he would have to wait patiently for the song to end. The song ended, but it was followed by a slow dancing number. Before you could say Robin Thicke, King Kong had his arms around Oprah!

Oprah was stupefied. Weren't you supposed to ask before doing something like that? She thought. The young man had his eyes closed, oblivious of everything else. Oprah was most uncomfortable. She was not the only uncomfortable one.

Chris was boiling with anger. He thought of shoving King Kong's possessive arms around Oprah somewhere that wasn't on her anatomy but the size of King Kong's biceps convinced him otherwise.

Chris was tapping on King Kong's arm before he realized he had moved at all.

"Excuse me, I'd like to have my girl back if you don't mind."

King Kong opened his eyes and stared at Chris. Here goes nothing, Chris braced himself.

Surprisingly, King Kong smiled and let go of Oprah.
"Sorry. Didn't know she was taken."

With that he walked off.

Oprah was relieved. "Thanks," she said to Chris.

Chris didn't say anything. He handed her the canned malt drink, took her free hand and headed towards the gate. He seemed angry.

They got to where cars were parked, but Chris continued walking holding her in tow. Oprah was almost running to keep up with him. Suddenly Chris turned to face her.
"What was that about?" He demanded.
Oprah was surprised.
"What do you mean?" She asked.
"All that cuddling up with that fellow?"Chris was almost shouting.
"I was just having some fun, that's all. There is no law against that, is there?"Oprah replied.
She was becoming angry and Chris noticed. He didn't know what had taken hold of him when Oprah was dancing back there. When King Kong had held Oprah on her bum, Chris had trouble restraining himself. He had felt like giving him a good beating. He was now embarrassed. He and Oprah weren't even dating!
"I am sorry. I don't know what came over me."
Oprah sighed.
"Its alright," she replied, but Chris could still see the dying embers of anger in her eyes. Just how pathetic could he get?
He looked away and back. "Oprah, I don't know how to say this but I think I'm falling in love with you. I--I just couldn't help myself when I ___"
"Will you always get like that with me anytime I'm with another guy?"
"Yes, I mean no, of course not," he leaned close to the parked SUV at his side and drew her close to him. "The thing is I've never felt this way before with anyone. I don't want to make a fool of myself. Do you feel anything for me, Oprah?"
Oprah sighed. "I don't know. I like you, but___"
"Is there someone else?"
"No."
"I want you to be mine, Oprah. Just the two of us. You know what I'm saying."
Oprah smiled softly. "You know what I'm saying?" She mimicked.
Chris smiled too. "Well, is that a 'yes'?"
"What do you think?" She asked holding the smile in place.
Chris didn't bother giving a reply. He reached out for her and gave her a long kiss.

(To be contd)

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 01, 2016
Episode 3

Elsewhere, at about the same time her younger sister was getting into a relationship, Ruth was getting into trouble. She had left the party earlier with her friend Boye and two boys, Efe and Kene.

Efe was Boye's boyfriend and Kene was Efe's friend. It was obvious that Kene was interested in dating her. She didn't mind that. What bothered her was that Kene seemed to think he was 'Mr World.' He was handsome alright, and she wasn't bad looking herself. Maybe girls were falling over themselves to date him.

Big deal! Boys were falling over themselves to date her too! undecided

Boye, Efe and Ruth were students at the University of Port Harcourt, while Kene was at Convenant University. Earlier on, at the party, Ruth had told Oprah and Chris that Efe would bring her home. Chris had been delighted. It was obvious he wanted sometime alone with Oprah. Ruth had gone off with the other three and here they were at Efe's house.

They were in Efe's bedroom where Efe and Boye were examining some white powdery substance which Efe referred to as cocaine! Ruth was scared. She had known Efe back at school where they'd stayed in the same Pritaso Block B, Aluu but she could never have guessed that he was into cocaine. His father was into some business and was apparently wealthy. Efe drove his own car at school!

"Don't be a spoil sport, Boye, come on, give it a try," Efe's eyes were glazed. He looked funny and he slurred as he spoke. From the way Boye was giggling, Ruth suspected she wasn't a stranger to what was going on. She was however reluctant and hesitant. Perhaps Ruth's presence was deterring her.

Kene was lying on the bed staring at the ceiling. A silly smile playing on his lips.

"I want to go home," Ruth announced. She had had enough.

No one paid any attention to her. It was getting dark and Efe's family house was quite some distance from civilization. His parents went to the UK to welcome his elder sister's newborn son to the world. Efe and his sister were the only children their parents had so the four of them were the only ones in the house.

Ruth eyed Boye who was dancing to some music Efe had put on. It was Sia and David Guetta's 'Titanium'

Suddenly, Kene got up from the bed and started rummaging Efe's wardrobe. Soon, he moved back, clutching a syringe. He took out a plastic wire and tied it tightly round one arm until his veins were protruding. With the same silly smile on his face, he injected himself and fell on the bed again, staring at the ceiling.

Ruth watched with disbelief.

Efe got up from the bed and smiled sheepishly at Ruth. "You don't know what you are missing." He went to a table near his bed and picked up a piece of paper neatly rolled. The powdery stuff he had referred to as cocaine earlier on was on the table. He bent over the stuff and sniffed it into his nostrils through the neatly rolled paper.

To Ruth's surprise, Boye stopped dancing and followed suit. Ruth was dumbfounded. In a minute, they were kissing passionately on the floor. Ruth decided to leave. She would take her chances and walk in the dark. Efe and Boye didn't seem like they were leaving until morning, and Kene.

What was wrong with Kene? shocked shocked shocked

Kene was on the bed convulsing. There was foam coming out of his mouth. Ruth rushed to Efe and pulled him away from Boye.

"Efe, something is wrong with Kene. Look at him, you've got to do something."

Efe took one look at Kene and collapsed on the floor laughing wildly. Ruth was confused. What was funny? Kene was still convulsing on the bed.

Instinctively, Ruth knew something had gone wrong. She tried to open the door and found it locked. The key was at the door. She opened the door and ran outside the room, screaming hysterically all the way out of the house.

(To be contd)

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 7:13am On Jul 01, 2016
Thanks ozila

Episode 4

Ruth and Oprah sat quietly in their mother's bedroom. Oprah looked at her mother. The honorable Justice Georgia Bankole Williams was visibly upset. She was tall, fair, beautiful and of mixed parentage. Her thin pointed nose, fair complexion and hazel eyes clearly pointed towards her mother's Caucasian roots while her jet black kinky hair and height was clearly inherited from her Yoruba, Nigerian father. There was no doubt where her daughters got their beauty from.

A woman of good taste, she was today unmindful of her well furnished bedroom, the result of several additions by her to the furniture supplied by the judiciary. As she paced up and down her large bedroom, she bore the countenance of a judge about to sentence a notorious criminal to a long jail term.

Several thoughts raced through her mind. She loved her daughters and until now, they had never given her any cause for concern. Perhaps their father's absence was the cause of this problem. Ever since their divorce, he stayed in Port Harcourt where the kids only visited during the long holidays. But even if he was present, what much could he do? If Sigmund was still the same man she had married, she was certain he didn't pay so much attention to the children's upbringing except it was monetary.

Her mind went over the last couple of hours. She had been in her study, writing a judgement on a complicated murder case, when she heard the front door open and close. She had assumed her daughters were back from the party. It was not until two hours later when she received a phone call from the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) that she realized Ruth had not returned home with Oprah.

A doctor friend had called her from the hospital to inform her that Ruth was with her at the hospital. She was fine, he had assured. She was brought in with three other youths. One of them had taken an overdose of heroine. Unfortunately, there was nothing the doctors could do. The boy died before they got to the hospital.

Justice Williams was relieved that Ruth was fine, but she couldn't understand what she was doing keeping company with drug addicts. She had told her what had happened amidst sobs. All she could do was thank God that she wasn't assaulted or even raped. She turned to Ruth.

"What were you doing there?" She snapped for the umpteenth time.

Ruth was in tears.

Her mother looked away quickly. She couldn't bear to see her children cry. Anger went out of her like air from a punctured balloon. She sat on the bed beside both girls who were now sobbing quietly.

"I'm sorry for shouting. This has never happened before. Didn't you know they were into drugs?"

Ruth shook her head. She couldn't remember the last time she had seen her mother this angry. She turned to Oprah.

"Why didn't you tell me that Ruth didn't come home with you?"

In-between sobs, Oprah explained that she hadn't wanted to disturb her and she didn't know Ruth was going to stay out that long. Justice Williams rose from the bed.

"You must watch the company you keep. I can tell you that 85% of convicts in jail today are there because of their friends. I'm surprised that you didn't know that Boye was into drugs."

She knew Boye's parents, they were ardent members of her church!

"Its alright girls. I was just worried about you. Please choose your friends carefully. Friendship is not by force. It is by choice."

"Yes ma," they chorused sullenly.

"Anyways, in the meantime, all rights and privileges to parties, dates and outings are hereby revoked. You're both grounded for one month." She said dismissing them.

Both girls looked too dispirited to argue so they just nodded as they stood up to go. Ruth looked even more morose of the two and Justice Williams was convinced she had learned her lesson.

(To be contd)

Please na, encourage me with your feedbacks/comments, lemme know I'm not writing to myself, thanks kiss kiss

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by ozila(m): 2:32pm On Jul 01, 2016
ride on Cc. ritababe Cherrybrown yinks89, she need ur support.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by YINKS89(m): 4:26am On Jul 02, 2016
ozila:
I don land.
Re: Honest Illusions by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:05am On Jul 02, 2016
Following.
Re: Honest Illusions by Laveda(f): 9:51am On Jul 02, 2016
Nice one babe

Following smiley

Cc: kimberlyie
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 02, 2016
Laveda:
Nice one babe
Following smiley

Thanks dear smiley
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 10:46am On Jul 02, 2016
Welcome Jeffreyjamez and Yinks89

Episode 5

Choba, Port Harcourt, a few weeks later...

Everyone in the PS main auditorium looked lively and excited. The rigors of registration had not dampened the excitement of being newly admitted undergraduates at the unique University of Port Harcourt.

The lecturer for the class had not arrived and most of the students were chatting and moving around the lecture hall. Oprah looked around. The girls in the Faculty of Humanities appeared to be the best dressed on campus. Many of those in the lecture hall looked like they had just stepped out of fashion magazines.

The lecturer, a young looking Professor finally arrived and gave an introductory lecture on Linguistics, Language and Media (LCS100). By the time Oprah realized that he had no intention of dictating his lecture notes, the lecture was over. How was she supposed to make notes? Oprah looked around wondering if she was the only one in such predicament. Nobody appeared to be complaining.

The lecture over, Oprah made her way out of the hall quickly. She didn't have another lecture until three hours later. Chris would be waiting at Choba campus where he had most of his lectures to have lunch.

She was a few meters away from the Faculty of Humanities and about to cross to the other side of the road when a black Mercedes convertible skidded to a halt, a few feet from her. A guy leaned out of the driver's seat and called her name. Oprah was surprised, as she didn't know him.

"I'm sorry, I don't know you." Oprah responded.

"Yea, you've only met me once at a party. I'm Efe, Ruth's friend," came the cheery reply. "May I give you a ride?"

Efe the cocaine fellow? Oprah hesitated. Would he offer her some coke in the car? She didn't think so.

"I'm going to Choba campus."

"Hop in."

She got into the car and Efe sped off like a rocket.

"Care for some coke?" He asked.

Oprah was taken aback. "What?" shocked

"Care for some Coke?" Efe repeated. He held out a can of Coca-cola.

Oprah heaved a sigh of relief and declined his offer.

"Something wrong?"

I thought you meant cocaine. I know what happened in your house, you drug addict. angry

"Nothing is wrong. I'm just grateful for the ride. It would have been an uncomfortable wait for the shuttle bus to fill up."

"Anytime, baby. What are you doing this evening?"

Getting as far away from you as possible undecided

"I've got loads of notes to write. Why?"

"There's this neat party going down later tonight."

"Sorry. I definitely can't make it. Maybe some other time."

"Don't get too serious, girl. You won't have any fun burying yourself in books. You gotta get out and be cool."

Oprah laughed. Ruth had definitely come off cool from her experience at his place. These days she was always secluded in her room reading the bible, according to their mother. Oprah promised to think about it.

They had gotten to Choba at the Student Affairs Centre where Chris was supposed to meet her up. She got down and thanked him as he sped off. Phew! Good riddance she thought as she waved at him.

(To be contd.)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Honest Illusions by KimBerlyie: 11:42am On Jul 02, 2016
Laveda:
Nice one babe

Following smiley

Thank you abokki kiss

You re doing a good job op wink

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by Laveda(f): 12:47pm On Jul 02, 2016
KimBerlyie:

Thank you abokki kiss

You re doing a good job op wink

Bae iz me you're calling abøki? cry

Get me popcorn. tongue
Re: Honest Illusions by KimBerlyie: 1:22pm On Jul 02, 2016
Laveda:

Bae iz me you're calling abøki? cry

Get me popcorn. tongue

Lol, popcorn is now expensive ooh, this one is just 5k. Pay for us kiss

Re: Honest Illusions by Laveda(f): 1:31pm On Jul 02, 2016
KimBerlyie:

Lol, popcorn is now expensive ooh, this one is just 5k. Pay for us kiss
undecided 5k for just popcorn? shocked grin
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2016
Thank you Kimberlyie and welcome smiley

Episode 6

Oprah could see Chris underneath the almond tree directly opposite the Student Affairs Centre. He was frowning. What could be bothering him?

"Who was that guy?"

The tone of Chris's voice bothered Oprah. Was he angry about something?

"I don't get, what guy?"

"What do you mean, what guy? Don't act dumb with me!"

Oprah realized he was referring to Efe.

"Oh, you mean Efe, Ruth's friend," she responded finally.

"I don't care if he's Ruth's friend or not. If he wants to see Ruth, he can go to Lagos where she's serving. I don't want to see him near you again. Okay?"

Oprah was quiet. This was not her sweet, considerate and loving Chris. He didn't even mind that they were out in the open.

"Did you hear me?"Chris bellowed.

"Yes. I heard you," Oprah replied quietly, not wanting to cause a scene.

Chris smiled. He was in control. "Come on baby, let's go get something to eat."

He took her by the hand and led her towards the restaurant.

Throughout the meal Oprah hardly spoke. She was getting worried about Chris. A lot had changed about him and if she didn't know any better she would swear he wasn't the same guy she had agreed to go out with. A lot had happened in their one month old relationship that sometimes she wondered if they hadn't gone too fast.

She noticed that he felt insecure. He questioned her endlessly about any guy he saw near her. It was as if he believed that she was looking around to start dating someone else now she was in school. And she couldn't understand why, since they were supposed to be in love. She pushed her plate aside. She had hardly eaten anything.

"Is everything alright?"Chris asked.

"As fine as they can be," she replied coldly. "What was all that about?"

He frowned and swallowed, "all what about?"

Oprah let out a hollow laugh, "so we are role-playing now huh? Okay let me refresh your memory in case you've forgotten. What was all that posturing and show of machismo about?"

Posturing and show of machismo He opened his mouth to speak but something about her tone made him swallow back his words. Now wasn't the time or place

In a gentle motion that bellied how he really felt, he placed his hand over hers and surprisingly she didn't pull away.

"Baby you know how it is with all these Uniport boys and girls they see as 'Jambitoes'. They will do all they can to bed as many of them as possible."

"And I've told you countless times, they can't get me, I have you for crying out loud and heaven knows you're a handful" she said pouting.

Chris tried his best to look contrite, "I know baby, I just can't help myself sometimes. You're so lovely and pretty, I can't bear to have another man touch you. I'll die sweetie, I just cant__"

Oprah's heart melted and her features brightened considerably. "Its okay baby, I understand".

He caressed her hand softly as he held her gaze. "I love you baby, never forget that".

"I love you too honey" she said and smiled, holding on to his hand till he finished his lunch.

(To be contd)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by OMA4U(m): 3:16pm On Jul 02, 2016
wow! It's interesting....

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:55pm On Jul 02, 2016
signs of trouble, but love no go let her Dee road now.. Lol
Re: Honest Illusions by Airborne02(m): 5:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
Sombori pls get op a pizza for me dis story kinda wow. Nice one OP @Suigeneris93.. . Kip d gud work.. Awaiting more update pls kip us in touch

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by cherrybrown(f): 5:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
ozila:
Am here
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
Airborne02:
Sombori pls get op a pizza for me dis story kinda wow. Nice one OP @Suigeneris93.. . Kip d gud work.. Awaiting more update pls kip us in touch

Thanks boss smiley I really appreciate. I will keep in touch wink
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 02, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
signs of trouble, but love no go let her Dee road now.. Lol

How do you know tongue
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2016
Welcome cherrybrown

Thanks OMA4U smiley

Episode 7

Evergreen Lodge, Aluu. 8pm...

It was the last day of the Campus Wide Evangelism Programme organized by the Redeemed Christian Fellowship (RCF). Most of the students that had so far attended were RCFites. Despite the publicity campaigns,other students on the campus didn't pay much attention to the programme. Students often spoke about RCFites as being strict and conservative so they stayed away.

From his room in Evergreen Lodge, Chris could hear the songs from the fellowship site. He was standing by his room window directly opposite the entrance of the fellowship, more focused on his lodge's gate.

It was 8:00pm and Oprah still hadn't arrived. He was becoming angry. She had said her lectures would end at 6:00pm. Even if she was going to be late, it shouldn't be more than thirty minutes. She was already two hours late.

It wasn't that they had a date, he just didn't enjoy having to wait for her for two hours. Maybe she had decided to stop over at her room. He stared out into the dark night, he couldn't see very far. He had no reason to be angry. If Oprah was late, there would be a good reason for it but he couldn't explain why he was angry.

He went back to his bed and sat down. It was Friday and Steve, his roommate had gone to town. Maybe Oprah's lateness was a blessing in disguise afterall. He could talk her into sleeping over, since she had taken her time coming over and the rest as they say, would be history. He smiled smugly as he took out a magazine and started flipping through.

(To be contd)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jul 02, 2016
Episode 8

Evergreen Lodge, Aluu. 10pm...

Oprah stood by the window staring at the dark night outside. Chris' reaction had confused her. He did not appear to have taken her serious at all. She turned back to look at Chris who appeared to be reading a magazine.

Chris was however deep in thought. Oprah born again He didn't know what to think. He really could not stand those RCFites. Would she start to dress like them? He shuddered only considering it, God forbid!

He believed that God was his father and that was just fine with him. He was an usher at Our Saviour's Chapel, the interdenominational church on campus. For an undergrad to be an usher was quite an achievement. Most undergrads did not even go to church at all. After Saturday night parties, it was usually impossible for anyone to make it to church. He had been like that too, until, quite remarkably, he decided to give up on Saturday night parties. Friday nights were enough. Since he had a steady girl, he really did not feel like he was missing out on anything. He honestly could not stand the taste of beer. He had never indulged in smoking. So, what more did he have to do right?

He got up and went over to Oprah. He had to be careful, he reasoned. It was best to take things easy, for now. Maybe it was just a passing fancy. He did not want any arguments tonight. He had been waiting all evening for her.

When Chris pulled her closer, Oprah knew what was coming. She prayed silently that he would understand and not insist. She prayed wrong.

Chris wanted her. He started by kissing his way down gently from her earlobe to her neck as he was sure this would ignite the desire in her and in no time she would be moaning in his arms. She tried her best, politely, to turn him down, but he was adamant. He was getting a hard-on from her gentle resistance.

"Don't you love me anymore?" Oprah asked as his hands found their way underneath her cotton top to her boobs.

"Don't be ridiculous. What is this about? Are you seeing someone else?" Oprah gently pushed him away.

"You know that's not true," she was becoming confused.

"Maybe this sudden doubt of my love is just to get rid of me."

"I'm just tired, besides I don't feel very well." She moved away from the window and stood by the bed. She could tell by his expression that he did not believe her. Perhaps she should come out with the truth. She was going to have to face it one day.

"What's really going on?" Chris asked moving nearer.

She sighed, here goes nothing. "I can't do it anymore. I believe having premarital sex with you is a sin."

Chris was quiet. She looked at him. He looked stunned. He kept staring at the floor and then he suddenly turned, opened the door of the room and walked out.

"Chris! Chris!" Oprah called after him.

He did not answer her. Confused, she sat on the bed sobbing. Perhaps she should not have turned down his advances. Maybe she should have waited for him to understand more about being born again. She did not know what to do next

(To be contd)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
Episode 9

Oprah didn't believe Chris had walked out on her for the first time in their 3 months old relationship, but what had she expected really? She didn't know what she expected from him but his reaction had shocked her.

When she listened to the male student preacher a few minutes ago, it had all seemed really easy. But standing alone in the centre of the room with Chris off to only God knows where, was not quite the turn of events she had expected.

For the past few weeks, she had been wondering if having sex with Chris was right. Chris didn't seem to see it as a big deal but she would have been happier if they didn't have to indulge in the act altogether. But then again, Chris was not just any random guy, he was her boyfriend and had promised to marry her. Her friends often shared stories of how guys in relationships often ended up cheating if their girlfriend refused to cooperate and she was scared. She didn't want Chris to cheat on her, she would die if he did. So she had given in and they had had sex quite a number of times.

It wasn't as if she didn't know premarital sex was a sin before she had heard the preacher. Her mother had drummed it into her and her sister's ears since forever and it ranked top ten on the minister's preaching back home but in her maiden foray into the world of relationships with her relationship with Chris, all she could say was, it was easier said than done.

However, the student preacher's words had resonated within her and struck a chord in her spirit. For one, he had a certain aura around him that Oprah couldn't place, he radiated so much peace and calm that Oprah couldn't help envying him. He was not bad looking either and Oprah knew had he not become a preacher, he would be a serial heart breaker. She had first been drawn to his good looks and dapper dressing until she heard him speak. She could only describe the experience as memorable.

RCF - Aluu, a few hours before...

His clear, loud voice reverberated through the half-completed auditorium. His diction was perfect and he sounded confident like he knew what he was talking about.

"My friends, listen to me. Until you discover God's purpose for creating you, you cannot experience true peace and joy in your life."

It was as if a light bulb came on in Oprah's head and suddenly it didn't matter if she had to be in Chris' room at that moment and he would send out an APB if she didn't show soon. All of her worries fell away and the only thing she could hear was the young preacher's voice.

"Beware, sin will rob you of God's purpose for your life. God is your father, he created you for a purpose. He loves you and wants the best for you, but you will never experience God's best until you say 'no' to sin and give your life to him. He loves you more than you can ever imagine. That was why he sent Jesus to die for your sins. Why don't you say 'yes' to Jesus and begin to walk in his purpose for creating you so you can discover true peace and joy."

There was silence everywhere.

"Ask yourself," he continued, "Are you truly happy? Do you have true peace and joy? Or do you have peace and joy that is here today and gone tomorrow?" He threw an open invitation. "If you want to give your life to Christ, please stand up now. If you want to become a true child of God, I want to pray with you."

People began to stand up everywhere as the choir began to sing softly.

Oprah's heart was beating fast, she wanted to stand up too. The young preacher had spoken the truth. Since God had created her for a purpose, Oprah wanted to discover that purpose.

She stood up.

Oprah looked at her watch, it was almost 10pm and Chris wasn't back home. She was worried, what if something had happened to him? What if he had been mobbed by the infamous Aluu boys?

Oh God! Oh God! then it would all be her fault, if only she had not been so stubborn and firm in her newly found spiritual conviction. If only she had given it time, given him time to begin to come to terms with it. It had seemed so sudden and cruel. She really should have waited embarassed

(To be contd)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Honest Illusions by Airborne02(m): 8:50pm On Jul 02, 2016
Suigeneris93:

Thanks boss smiley I really appreciate. I will keep in touch wink
u welcome .... BOSS KE shocked shocked shocked.. Any way thanks .. u look cute .. nice art picx kiss kiss
Re: Honest Illusions by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
Suigeneris93:

How do you know tongue

Because I know! grin
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

Because I know! grin

As the oracle that you are grin grin

I believe you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
Airborne02:
u welcome .... BOSS KE shocked shocked shocked.. Any way thanks .. u look cute .. mice art picx kiss kiss

Lol! Thanks! I'll be sure to inform my friend wink

1 Like

Re: Honest Illusions by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
Suigeneris93:

As the oracle that you are grin grin

I believe you cheesy

Lol.. .nice story you got here
Re: Honest Illusions by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jul 02, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

Lol.. .nice story you got here

Thanks dear smiley
Re: Honest Illusions by Laveda(f): 10:46pm On Jul 02, 2016
Oprah Oprah, this is gonna be a tough journey for her with Chris around cry embarassed

Sha she shouldn't get pregnant. lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Best Military Organized Crime Inclined Story You Have Read On Nairaland / The Seer...in Your Mind! / Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.