Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? - Events (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? (82257 Views)

Things Any Groom At A Yoruba Introduction Ceremony Will Remember / See What Was Shared As Souvenir At A Yoruba Party And Reactions / A White Man Marrying A Yoruba Lady (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by EZENDDIGBO(m): 8:30am On Jul 02, 2016
Fugazi:

Nice to see you recollecting stories from Iboland. Ibo men that'd go to malaysia to deal drugs just to spray money in weddings and spend it on ashewo Imo university girls nko? Abeg swerve.

Yes, Yorubas do Owambe and everyone enjoys and love it cool
your statement sounds frustrating hence the insults.

We re not contesting bro. Take care

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Fugazi: 8:32am On Jul 02, 2016
EZENDDIGBO:
your statement sounds frustrating hence the insults.

We re not contesting bro. Take care

You sound pained. Pele. Is that why you had to make up a story? lmao. grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by notoriousbabe: 9:42am On Jul 02, 2016
chachanga:
dem

Haba, why dem go wan dey toast their Auntie agemate nah? U pass dem level jarey!

E be like dere's a silent war against all the fun on this forum, walahi!

Nor worry, I hear say we go soon get LIKE & HATE Buttons to Promote or Vote MODS da furkk out of NL very soon. Seun don dey think am. Make e hurry up; e get like 2 wey I dey target how dem go return to Job Seeker Section!
I no wan talk the people wey go lose their job wen seun into duce dat button make the people no go chop rat poison before then,dem reach about 8 of dem. Na dem apart from Aminat508 VickyRotex and Prettythicksme be my number 1 enemies for nairaland. I dey even plan to ban the owner o nairaland too but no tell am o.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by notoriousbabe: 9:45am On Jul 02, 2016
Icon79:
The last time I went to a Yoruba party, it was at Festac side, I gbenshed 3 different girls before the night was over. And none of them even asked for my phone number, talk less of asking for money. gosh, they even thank me for the job grin
useless people flock with useless people

2 Likes

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by notoriousbabe: 9:47am On Jul 02, 2016
semitunde post=4711 0897:

Venue?
see thief,ole grin
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by notoriousbabe: 10:03am On Jul 02, 2016
bloodyBLOGGER:

Yorubas spray money too and I believe that trend was started by them.

What we can see so far is that the Yorubas spray money at parties and overfeed their guest, while the igbos spray money at parties but starve themselves all in the name of forming "I ate at home before coming, so am too big to eat here".

Is a party not supposed to be a feast of merriment? But you guys think it's just a gathering where you show money. That means banks are also party halls cos people go there to show money.
God bless you and your entire generation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by saintdennis(m): 10:04am On Jul 02, 2016
Oliviaxx:

Funny...by all means; do that....keep in mind that hatred consumes you from the inside. Goodnight

Smiles...most of the ladies i've been with are from edo, delta, and igbo states.

All my friends r southerners like me & we usually enjoy some banter about the ills of OUR tribes so serzly I DONT HATE ANYONE.
I only spoke my truth.
GoodMorning.
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Malawian(m): 12:01pm On Jul 02, 2016
Bagehot:

Yimu. The people I met at the igbo parties I went for finished their plates ooo - and when they could, they asked for more.

I only recently started going for Igbo parties sometimes last year (work people), and have come to form an impression about them. The only food available is always rice and it is served in miserable portions (with tiny pieces of meat) - on plastic plates! Alcohol is also served in plastic cups. Also, it seems like you need to know someone for you to get food and drinks. The M.Cs talk too much (and can be pretty rude to the celebrants - but no one seemed to notice), and the ceremonies generally seemed disorganized to me. Then the outfits people wore to the parties - some like they just rolled out of bed, others were downright atrocious. Its like even the families of the celebrants don't even make an effort to dress in proper attires. Less I forget, there were no proper arrangements for music at the parties I went for - poor sound quality, no live bands, and it seemed like the DJs are always confused.

I guess its just a cultural orientation anyway. A yoruba party is about pure hospitality. In every party I know of, asides from the celebrants, even their friends and other family members would also bring food, hence the reason you see multiple caterers at yoruba parties. Nobody would insult you that you can to eat - you are actually expected to show up to rejoice, and have a great time + its considered an embarassment if you run out of food before dark.

I suppose if we had the same orientation as Igbos that you wont get food to eat, we would also eat from home.
sorry, we dont sell our fathers land to host parties. also, i know and everybody knows for certain that it is only in yoruba parties that you need to know somebody there otherwise no food for you. they put it in coolers and give it to the different organizations in their canopy. god help you if you dont know anybody there.
Igbo parties comes with a lot of food and drinks, but more importantly, going there to eat and drink is not our purpose. we go there to support our people in what they are celebrating, that is why even though we may eat little there, we give the celebrant huge amount of money and gifts.

sorry mate, but you and u know that the day after a yoruba party, the gloom and uncertainty in the soul of the yoruba celebrants in not a kids matter. already, they will be thinking of "new estates" in their ogbomosho caves that they will sell next. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by VickyRotex(f): 12:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
notoriousbabe:
I no wan talk the people wey go lose their job wen seun into duce dat button make the people no go chop rat poison before then,dem reach about 8 of dem. Na dem apart from Aminat508 VickyRotex and Prettythicksme be my number 1 enemies for nairaland. I dey even plan to ban the owner o nairaland too but no tell am o.

angry angry angry
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by lilien001(f): 12:34pm On Jul 02, 2016
KnightRod:
Lol.. I'm Igbo, but I don't attend Igbo parties/functions anymore.. It ain't fun.. They do too much talking, the food is scarce, the meat is petty, and don't even let me talk about the drinks..

Igbo men have this hungry ego.. They always want to feel above their peers. My dad once changed 100k to dollars, just to spray his friend's daughter at her wedding.. Why?? Just because Others were spraying naira and he wanted to show them they don't call him 'Chief' for nothing

But some folks have not even taken as little as a bottle of coke at the wedding, and they were watching people spray dollars and naira on their empty stomachs.

But a yoruba party is always dah bomb!! You must eat to your satisfaction! Assorted food.. Assorted drinks.. Even ordinary naming ceremony.. They don't joke with the food.. They make sure it's available for everyone!!

Then the colourful attires.. Lol.. Really nice.
wow! Spraying 100k in a wedding? I'm booking your dad for my future wedding

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by notoriousbabe: 2:07pm On Jul 02, 2016
VickyRotex:

angry angry angry
Wetin? Tell your boyfriend to stop banning me
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by mikolo80: 1:18am On Jul 03, 2016
yungmill:
Difference is some came to give in abundance while some came to eat and take in abundance undecided
yeah the Yoruba give food in abundance while Ibo trying to recoup part of the bride price

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 04, 2016
Malawian:

sorry, we dont sell our fathers land to host parties. also, i know and everybody knows for certain that it is only in yoruba parties that you need to know somebody there otherwise no food for you. they put it in coolers and give it to the different organizations in their canopy. god help you if you dont know anybody there.
Igbo parties comes with a lot of food and drinks, but more importantly, going there to eat and drink is not our purpose. we go there to support our people in what they are celebrating, that is why even though we may eat little there, we give the celebrant huge amount of money and gifts.

sorry mate, but you and u know that the day after a yoruba party, the gloom and uncertainty in the soul of the yoruba celebrants in not a kids matter. already, they will be thinking of "new estates" in their ogbomosho caves that they will sell next. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue tongue tongue

Once again yimu. What a lot of you people fail to realize is that parties are a communal effort, so no one is selling his father's house. Like I said earlier, different family members contribute something - even family friends come with their own caterers, so at the end of the day, its highly unlikely the celebrant goes bankrupt. This is exactly why we have "äso-ebi" (loosely translated to "family cloth"wink to affirm our love and support of each other.

BTW, an igbo friend of mine recently got married in the east. Nigga has rich brothers, but not one brought a penny, so Baba had to skin himself, and take a couple of loans from his employer and elsewhere to throw party. The reception held in the same hotel I was lodged in, and can you believe that after waiting for eons for food, they still gave me a miserable plate of rice? I had to excuse myself to go and eat inside the hotel. Did I mention I was a grooms-man? The outfit the "rich" brothers turned up in, true to God, if it an been a yoruba event, some-one would have called them aside to ask if they were quarreling with their brother. Miserable fellows were standing in a corner of the hall looking gloomy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Ngozi123(f): 8:07am On Jul 04, 2016
KnightRod:
Lol.. I'm Igbo, but I don't attend Igbo parties/functions anymore.. It ain't fun.. They do too much talking, the food is scarce, the meat is petty, and don't even let me talk about the drinks..

Igbo men have this hungry ego.. They always want to feel above their peers. My dad once changed 100k to dollars, just to spray his friend's daughter at her wedding.. Why?? Just because Others were spraying naira and he wanted to show them they don't call him 'Chief' for nothing

But some folks have not even taken as little as a bottle of coke at the wedding, and they were watching people spray dollars and naira on their empty stomachs.

But a yoruba party is always dah bomb!! You must eat to your satisfaction! Assorted food.. Assorted drinks.. Even ordinary naming ceremony.. They don't joke with the food.. They make sure it's available for everyone!!

Then the colourful attires.. Lol.. Really nice.

So in other words, Yoruba parties are better for the guests whereas Igbo parties are better for the celebrants. wink

1 Like

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Ngozi123(f): 8:16am On Jul 04, 2016
tysontim:
For those that says that this is not Igbo wedding, check this thread were the picture is taken from and see the truth. You'll also see many pictures

https://www.nairaland.com/3114398/money-sprayed-couple-traditional-wedding

Exactly, if you want to find out whether it's an Igbo or Yoruba event you will always have to look at the attire of the women not the men. The bride in that picture is dressed in traditional Igbo attire.

1 Like

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by sibepoc(m): 12:14am On Jul 10, 2016
teejaypee:

you too like food! grin

So you no like food abi
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by yetseyi(f): 1:38pm On Jul 14, 2016
Hilarious thread

From the comments here I now understand why my friends came back from a yoruba party and were chai see big big meat. Another one was like you Yorubas spend on food that the food was enough. I didn't really understand their exclamation on being treated well now I do.

Its an offence for your guest to be poorly treated, how will I invite a guest and they won't eat good food and yes the meat must be big.

Its better to invite few people and food goes round than calling the whole town and no food. In fact some Yoruba's make allowance for the mogbomoya crew (uninvited guests).

When planning an event you hear things like you are inviting 50people prepare for 100guests.

Guests must eat well its very conpulsory loool.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by SAMBARRY: 5:02pm On Aug 29, 2016
cococandy:
I've never been to a Yoruba party but I heard they are the bomb. Well everyone can't be lying.
Although I've to try it first before making my comparison.

So who's getting married? Abeg do invite me. Party rice dey hungry me. embarassed
In fact don't marry. Just rename your child, or your dog. Anything ejoor. Just invite me.

Sambarry, tearoses, bebe2, anybody, somebody pls embarassed
chaii I'm just seeing this. My dear no vez grin

I have one on Saturday you're invited grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by SAMBARRY: 5:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
cococandy:
I've never been to a Yoruba party but I heard they are the bomb. Well everyone can't be lying.
Although I've to try it first before making my comparison.

So who's getting married? Abeg do invite me. Party rice dey hungry me. embarassed
In fact don't marry. Just rename your child, or your dog. Anything ejoor. Just invite me.

Sambarry, tearoses, bebe2, anybody, somebody pls embarassed

Sebi Na party jollof you want. Oya go and bring spoon wink

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by bebe2(f): 6:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
SAMBARRY:

On my way grin
@cococandy

1 Like

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by cococandy(f): 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2016
bebe2:

On my way grin
@cococandy
gorgeous kiss
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by cococandy(f): 11:19pm On Aug 30, 2016
SAMBARRY:

yum yum yum. That rice is calling my name. Cocoooooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by bukatyne(f): 9:25am On Aug 31, 2016
Funny thread!

Yoruba parties are absolutely on point!

The food, drinks and live band.

Omo Yoruba le miii ooooooooooooooooo.. Swagger!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by ladiguy(m): 8:38am On Sep 18, 2016
Justice already done but I need to drop mine.

The Yorubas started money spraying before all other tribes in nigeria.

The Yorubas are the king of paryting or celebration in nigeria (check OWANBE in your dictionary).

The Yoruba has evolved years before the Ibos .The Ibos are just playing a catching up game and need to boost self ego that's why they are into many things yorubas have long been into.

They dress like us,party like us .
In a way we are enlightining them .Thanks for the ealr western civilisation .The wealthy igbo elites who resides in the west and developed a new orientation transfer it to their folks in the east .

Yoruba rule .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by lepasharon(f): 4:25am On Dec 24, 2016
I missed this thread grin
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by Afam4eva(m): 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2016
Una just wan use every turn dey insult Igbo people. Lol

The fact that Igbos are a majority group does not mean you have to put them into every comparison with yorubas or hausas. There are things that Igbos are not just good at likewise Yorubas and hausas. For instance, we don't have a party culture or atleast not as much as Yorubas. We just throw parties because it has become a fad but we don't put as much energy adn enthusiasm as much as Yorubas. As far as party is concerned in Nigeria, Yorubas win hand down. No contest. It's their culture.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by ladiguy(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
Afam4eva:
Una just wan use every turn dey insult Igbo people. Lol

The fact that Igbos are a majority group does not mean you have to put them into every comparison with yorubas or hausas. There are things that Igbos are not just good at likewise Yorubas and hausas. For instance, we don't have a party culture or atleast not as much as Yorubas. We just throw parties because it has become a fad but we don't put as much energy adn enthusiasm as much as Yorubas. As far as party is concerned in Nigeria, Yorubas win hand down. No contest. It's their culture.

you dey on point .
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by 1Sharon(f): 3:48pm On Dec 28, 2018
Throwback to this thread cheesy
Re: Is This The Difference Between An Igbo Party And A Yoruba Party? by HitlerGaddafi: 11:37am On Apr 26, 2021
omoharry:
I have attended several Igbo parties and that of the Yoruba..To be honest..Abeg i prefer the yoruba party..food, meat and drinks are readily available..food is usually not sufficient in Igbo party like that becos they must have invested that money on other things to show of at the party such as expensive wines and alcohols.so you will drink enough sha.but food is usally not in abudance.as for meat..just know that you are eating your rice with either a small meat or a largh chunk that looks like meat but is filled up with bones....abeg i prefer the yoruba owambe..i always come back happy and satisfied whenever i embark on any owambe than the other one..i am not a yoruba person so i know what i am talking about..
So true

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Why The Delta Bride Ran From The Wedding Reception - Close Friend / Helen Ukpabio Buries Her Father With A Pawpaw Shaped Coffin In Akwa Ibom(photos) / Lady's Cleave-Baring Outfit To Ehi Ogbebor's Wedding Trends Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.