Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? (34005 Views)

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) / Graphic Photos: Lady Survives Fall Into An Abandoned Soakaway Beneath Her Feet / Bathroom Of Lady Who Moved Out Of A Guy's Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by kiekie1(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2019
faridasr:
[color=#990000][/color]

ideally you should have 2 compartments, a septic tank for solid waste and a soakaway for liquid waste. The soakaway is constructed with the sandcrete blocks turned to allow sippage of water to the soil(simply put the liquid waste is socked by the earth in the while solid waste is retained in septic tank to be evacuated when filled up).
pls dont listen to those saying you should discharge to drainages as they are meant for collection of surface water runoff like rain while bathroom water is foul water. the 2 are not the same.

Valid point but I keep wondering if this method is fully applicable to people living in waterlogged areas " lekki, Amuwo odofin" and so on ... When the soakaway built for specific kitchen / bathroom waste water gets filled up as usual in flooded areas,how do they bath, what's the way forward ??

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by kiekie1(m): 10:32pm On Feb 18, 2019
mufutau55:

Of course you have the right to your own opinion... if you are a professional in this field...

In a regular good solid soil... Septic Tank and Soakaway are built separately... the Soakaway will be built perforated so that the water waste can sink into the soil naturally... so it never get full. The Septic Tank must be well cement not to leak.. so that when it's full it will be evacuated.
Mostly the above system of Septic Tank and Soakaway is used.

Now if you are building in a waterlogged area where you have to build a "sunken soakaway and septic tank" together... both will be well built with concreted and cemented with a waterproof cement. Then there is a way the soakaway and the septic tank will be channeled together so that excess water from septic can flow into soakaway. With this kind of system, both will need to be evacuated routinely because both will get filled with water quickly and there will be no where for the water to go unless you have a good drainage channel in the area; which we don't have in most of Nigeria neighborhood. I am sure this second process is what you are describing.

Please join us in Properties Forum to learn.

Hajji M.

Yes spotted the water logged area as explained ! Not as easy as it seems ! It's not cheap and easily gets filled up in situations where we have a building with tenants filled up to the boys quarters ! It all depends on the area and residents in totality I must say . . I have seen closed estates around ago , okota axis where waste waters are generally channeled to the gutters as best practice ! Ladipo market area isn't an exception too under case study .. May God help us !!!

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Run Bathing(bathroom) Water Pipes To Your Soakaway? by kiekie1(m): 10:39pm On Feb 18, 2019
MabraO:

Irrelevant question
Cos waste water comprising palm oil don't just find its way into the gutters except u pour then in it..
All u mentioned are as a result of humans putting them there

He asked a relevant question if I must say ! We have houses around areas with central abbatoir canals like one around oko oba , Lagos area .. Secondly houses around Yaya abatan, ifako ijaiye areas in Lagos with gutters flowing into gulley's don't really care about all these I see most arguing about here ..

Note: Bottom line, it depends on your respective areas so you don't constitute public nuisance ... Cheers all

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic: The Sight And Beauty / Construction Of Six Flats Of 2-bedroom With Three Shops. / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.