Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu (22886 Views)

The Only Senator That Did'nt Vote Vote For Immunity For Nass Members / Senators Vote YES for Immunity for NASS members / Check Out The Man Who Has Acquired Immunity Against Kidnapping (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by TheFreeOne: 7:43am On Jul 02, 2016
Olusola Fabiyi and Ogbonnaya Ikokwu

Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, has alleged that Mr. Uche Ogah is desperate to become the governor to get immunity against twelve impending criminal charges against him in some courts in Lagos State.

Ikpeazu said this while reacting to the issuance of Certificate of Return by the Independent National Electoral Commission to Ogah.

He said, “We are baffled by the urgency and the desperation to bounce into the government and when put side by side with the various criminal charges which border on different kinds of things which are subsisting in various courts in Lagos State against this same person, it becomes a little bit clearer why the desperation in the first place; (it’s) probably just to get a veil of immunity just to run away from the certainty of the court’s decision for or against him as it were. “What is on trial is our democracy; it is not about me as a person, but it is about the will of the people of Abia State. And why it is very difficult for the Abia people to accept it is that everyone knows that I have been working for the government in this environment.

“My last duty post was (in) the Abia State Environmental Protection agency and for anybody to say that I have problems with my tax, it will be strange to our people because they know I was working for the government and the government was paying me.

“The Board of Internal Revenue, whose duty it is to assess and levy tax has come out with the document and said it was issued by them and if there is any question to be asked, the BIR is the one to answer the question.

“I want to assure the people that this illegality will not stand but I will test it through the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

“I want to dissuade the rumours that are making the round that some people are sponsoring this injustice against our state because we understand the current position of the government at the federal level against corruption and it cannot support somebody battling to wear the veil of immunity just because the person wants to run away from the certainty of justice.” The governor expressed surprise at the turn of events after he had filed an appeal to the judgement obtained by Ogah against him before an Abuja Federal High Court, which had annulled his election based on tax receipts.

He said, “Even if it was a death sentence that was passed on me, I don’t think I deserved to be executed without my right of appeal and that right is undeniable and fundamental.”

He described the court judgement as a temporary set-back and a plan to ambush the mandate which the people freely gave him in April 2015.

Ikpeazu said there was a court order restraining the state chief judge or any other legal officer in the country from swearing in Ogah, adding that he was still the governor.

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party caucus in the Abia State House Assembly, led by Mr. Martin Azubuike and other PDP faithful in the state, has assured Ikpeazu of their support during a solidarity visit.

However, efforts to speak with Ogah were unsuccessful as he could not be reached for comments as of the time of filing this report. In a related development, INEC has confirmed that it was served with a copy of the appeal filed by the Ikpeazu to challenge his removal from office by an Abuja court.

The appeal was sequel to the victory secured in court by Ogah, which ordered the commission to issue him with a Certificate of Return immediately.

Justice Okon Abang had on Monday found Ikpeazu guilty of not presenting correct tax certificates along with his forms submitted to the electoral body.

The judge held that Ikpeazu, who was declared the winner of the PDP governorship primary in the state, ought to have been disqualified by the party.

However, many lawyers have queried the rationale behind the issuance of the certificate to Ogah, when the governor had appealed the ruling.

The commission, however, said the appeal filed by the governor did not contain a stay of execution of the high court judgement.

The Deputy Director of Publicity and Voter Education of INEC, Mr. Nick Dazang, said the commission didn’t do anything wrong by issuing the certificate.

He said, “Yes, he did (the governor served us with the notice of appeal). However, it (the appeal) did not contain a motion or order of stay of execution.

“In this circumstance and given INEC’s resolve to obey all subsisting court orders, it had no recourse as a responsible regulatory body/commission than to issue the Certificate of Return to Mr. Ogah. Recall that the High Court had earlier ordered INEC to comply forthwith.”

http://punchng.com/ogah-desperate-immunity-12-criminal-charges-ikpeazu/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by prince4pro(m): 8:04am On Jul 02, 2016
The foolishness of ikpeazu baffles me

42 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by kahal29: 8:10am On Jul 02, 2016
prince4pro:

Am telling you

24 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by TheFreeOne: 8:13am On Jul 02, 2016
The woman whose signature was forged by ogah & co. is my 'client'. She personally told me about it and the case is in court.

Ikpeazu may not be far from the truth cos like I opined on another thread there seems to be a 'deal' behind the scene hence the rush by INECs almost immediate presentation of certificate of return to Ogah.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by able20(m): 8:26am On Jul 02, 2016
prince4pro:
I
Today only the foolish guys remain governors, and senators

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by BlackSeptember: 8:29am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:
[s]The woman whose signature was forged by ogah & co. is my 'client'. She personally told me about it and the case is in court.

Ikpeazu may not be far from the truth cos like I opined on another thread there seems to be a 'deal' behind the scene hence the rush by INECs almost immediate presentation of certificate of return to Og[/s]ah.
Lies. The woman has been paid before she started making claims again. Masters Energy is not a firm that engage in dishonest practice.

Ogah is the governor of Abia state

24 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by TheFreeOne: 8:42am On Jul 02, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Lies. The woman has been paid before she started making claims again. Masters Energy is not a firm that engage in dishonest practice.

Kindly explain what you mean by paid? Are you insinuating the crime never happened?

Either ogah become governor or not is not my problem but a case as weighty as that shouldn't be swept under the carpet.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 02, 2016
prince4pro:
come and swear in ogah na.

13 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Nobody: 8:47am On Jul 02, 2016
BlackSeptember:

come and swear in ogah na.
Ipkeazu remains the governor till supreme court decide this yeye case

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by BlackSeptember: 8:50am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:

Kindly explain what you mean by paid? Are you insinuating the crime never happened?

Either ogah become governor or not is not my problem but a case as weighty as that shouldn't be swept under the carpet.
It was a biz deal and the woman has been paid.

Nothing will stop the shine of Uche Ogah

8 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by TheFreeOne: 9:09am On Jul 02, 2016
BlackSeptember:
It was a biz deal and the woman has been paid.

Nothing will stop the shine of Uche Ogah

So to you biz deal warrants forging signatures

Are you aware too that it partly had to do with subsidy fraud

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by BlackSeptember: 9:42am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:

So to you biz deal warrants forging signatures

Are you aware too that it partly had to do with subsidy fraud
Lies from the pit of hell. You can't bring Uche ogah down

U are just a small fly with a big lie

Subsidy ko Rubsidy ni

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by TheFreeOne: 10:34am On Jul 02, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Lies from the pit of hell. You can't bring Uche ogah down

U are just a small fly with a big lie

Subsidy ko Rubsidy ni

This is not about bringing ogah down.

My point is Ikpeazu maybe right in his assertion and all legal routes should be exploited to avoid having another legal imbroglio few months/years down the line.

If ogah eventually wins his court cases as mentioned by ikpeazu and the present governorship debacle then good for him.
But don't be surprised if a new twist brings in APC / Otti as the new governor cos in our present political atmosphere anything can happen.

Abians shouldn't be taken for fools by politicians.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by crazygod(m): 10:37am On Jul 02, 2016
But really, that federal high court judge dey smoke shisha when he made that wicked uncalled for judgement.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by seguno2: 10:37am On Jul 02, 2016
Makes sense.
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by miqos02(m): 10:40am On Jul 02, 2016
we hear
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by dollaflow(m): 10:40am On Jul 02, 2016
hmmm
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Sunofgod(m): 10:42am On Jul 02, 2016
Civil war....in Abia,
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by labamo07(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2016
I don't understand why criminals are always looking for immunity to protect them against criminal charges. The judiciary system is fuvked................

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by kushma(m): 10:43am On Jul 02, 2016
That's true jaree ikpeazu our governor till 2023

4 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by kahal29: 10:47am On Jul 02, 2016
Conspiracy theories up and down..... First it was that Ogah was going to join APC when they saw that it was not selling they suspended him.... Now they have changed gear to looking for immunity to prevent prosecution. Mmmmmh

8 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by miqos02(m): 10:47am On Jul 02, 2016
Theodore orji was in prison when he won election in 2007

3 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Icecomrade: 10:48am On Jul 02, 2016

The kind of positions people put on critical issues shows clearly how much our conscience can be sold out because of selfishness.

Why is Ogah in a haste nah?

If he believes he has case that would give him governorship seat, all he needs is patients.

Recovering money lost in the election cannot be achieved with 6months of litigation.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Nasa28(m): 10:48am On Jul 02, 2016
Wat is IKPEAZU saying sef

So hr can't tell us whether the charges against him is true or false, rather he is busy talking rubbish
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by nzemila(m): 10:55am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:
Olusola Fabiyi and Ogbonnaya Ikokwu

Abia State Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, has alleged that Mr. Uche Ogah is desperate to become the governor to get immunity against twelve impending criminal charges against him in some courts in Lagos State.

Ikpeazu said this while reacting to the issuance of Certificate of Return by the Independent National Electoral Commission to Ogah.

He said, “We are baffled by the urgency and the desperation to bounce into the government and when put side by side with the various criminal charges which border on different kinds of things which are subsisting in various courts in Lagos State against this same person, it becomes a little bit clearer why the desperation in the first place; (it’s) probably just to get a veil of immunity just to run away from the certainty of the court’s decision for or against him as it were. “What is on trial is our democracy; it is not about me as a person, but it is about the will of the people of Abia State. And why it is very difficult for the Abia people to accept it is that everyone knows that I have been working for the government in this environment.

“My last duty post was (in) the Abia State Environmental Protection agency and for anybody to say that I have problems with my tax, it will be strange to our people because they know I was working for the government and the government was paying me.

“The Board of Internal Revenue, whose duty it is to assess and levy tax has come out with the document and said it was issued by them and if there is any question to be asked, the BIR is the one to answer the question.

“I want to assure the people that this illegality will not stand but I will test it through the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.

“I want to dissuade the rumours that are making the round that some people are sponsoring this injustice against our state because we understand the current position of the government at the federal level against corruption and it cannot support somebody battling to wear the veil of immunity just because the person wants to run away from the certainty of justice.” The governor expressed surprise at the turn of events after he had filed an appeal to the judgement obtained by Ogah against him before an Abuja Federal High Court, which had annulled his election based on tax receipts.

He said, “Even if it was a death sentence that was passed on me, I don’t think I deserved to be executed without my right of appeal and that right is undeniable and fundamental.”

He described the court judgement as a temporary set-back and a plan to ambush the mandate which the people freely gave him in April 2015.

Ikpeazu said there was a court order restraining the state chief judge or any other legal officer in the country from swearing in Ogah, adding that he was still the governor.

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party caucus in the Abia State House Assembly, led by Mr. Martin Azubuike and other PDP faithful in the state, has assured Ikpeazu of their support during a solidarity visit.

However, efforts to speak with Ogah were unsuccessful as he could not be reached for comments as of the time of filing this report. In a related development, INEC has confirmed that it was served with a copy of the appeal filed by the Ikpeazu to challenge his removal from office by an Abuja court.

The appeal was sequel to the victory secured in court by Ogah, which ordered the commission to issue him with a Certificate of Return immediately.

Justice Okon Abang had on Monday found Ikpeazu guilty of not presenting correct tax certificates along with his forms submitted to the electoral body.

The judge held that Ikpeazu, who was declared the winner of the PDP governorship primary in the state, ought to have been disqualified by the party.

However, many lawyers have queried the rationale behind the issuance of the certificate to Ogah, when the governor had appealed the ruling.

The commission, however, said the appeal filed by the governor did not contain a stay of execution of the high court judgement.

The Deputy Director of Publicity and Voter Education of INEC, Mr. Nick Dazang, said the commission didn’t do anything wrong by issuing the certificate.

He said, “Yes, he did (the governor served us with the notice of appeal). However, it (the appeal) did not contain a motion or order of stay of execution.

“In this circumstance and given INEC’s resolve to obey all subsisting court orders, it had no recourse as a responsible regulatory body/commission than to issue the Certificate of Return to Mr. Ogah. Recall that the High Court had earlier ordered INEC to comply forthwith.”

http://punchng.com/ogah-desperate-immunity-12-criminal-charges-ikpeazu/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

which people gave u mandate? all the same

2 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Nobody: 10:55am On Jul 02, 2016
Nigerian politics : A TOY for the bored.

1 Like

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by dayoungmoney1: 10:55am On Jul 02, 2016
I TIRE FOR NAIJA BRAND OF POLITRICKS tongue

1 Like

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Otapipia: 10:56am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:
The woman whose signature was forged by ogah & co. is my 'client'. She personally told me about it and the case is in court.

Ikpeazu may not be far from the truth cos like I opined on another thread there seems to be a 'deal' behind the scene hence the rush by INECs almost immediate presentation of certificate of return to Ogah.
Are you a lawyer for real? How can you query the urgency with which INEC issued the certificate of return having regard to the clear and unambiguous language the court order was couched. The court used the word "forthwith" which means immediate effect. An appeal without more cannot operate as a stay, that is an elementary principle of law, just don't allow sentiments to becloud your alleged legal sense of reasoning.

6 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by safarigirl(f): 10:58am On Jul 02, 2016
Ikpeazu should stop embarrassing himself. Was the judgment by Okon-Qbang not because he also has a criminal charge he was even found guilty of? Does he think he's better than Ogah simply because he stole his way to power?

I cannot believe someone who jointly disenfranchised the people with kangaroo polling numbers has the effrontery to accuse others of having criminal charges simply because those who we entrusted to protect our votes failed.

In a sane country such a person ought to have resigned and handed himself over to the authorities instead of granting silly interviews so that a bunch of visionless youths can mindlessly support him and the other criminal.

Criminals should stop pointing fingers at each other

2 Likes

Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by SageTravels: 11:03am On Jul 02, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Otapipia: 11:03am On Jul 02, 2016
TheFreeOne:

If you feel the case is weighty, why raise the issue here, when you know that a court of competent jurisdiction is handling it? If you're truly a lawyer, please concentrate more on the nitty gritties of practice and quit discussing law publicly.
Re: Ogah Desperate For Immunity Against 12 Criminal Charges –ikpeazu by Dynamitehimself(m): 11:04am On Jul 02, 2016
And now the war continues

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aviation Unions To Shut Down All Airports In Nigeria On Tuesday / Amaechi Spent N82million To Host Prof Soyinka To A Dinner - Rivers State / The 'Terrorists' Of IPOB By Femi Fani-Kayode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.