Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,490 members, 7,816,156 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Before You Rent That House!!! - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Before You Rent That House!!! (36090 Views)

Before You Build That House, Before You Spend That Money! / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
Very true light and bill issue is very vital to check
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Shollarh(m): 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
Hian!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by donbenedict(m): 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
Now I know why we don't have light.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Ranchhoddas: 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2016
How the person manage to owe them like that? You too start to owe your own.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by SimpleTee: 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2016
Very good advice.
No one can be too careful on that point
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by HAH: 9:55pm On Jul 02, 2016
codemaniacs:
You're wrong about prepaid meters.. It uses card once the credit on the card has finished the light goes off...

You clearly did not understand what the op wrote, he is 100% right because I have seen many prepaid meter with fixed out standing bill being charged monthly on them

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by greggng: 9:56pm On Jul 02, 2016
Estimated billings can make one sick that's why people find it hard to pay
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by serecode: 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
TO LET: Neat 2 bedroom flat in ireakari isolo,for 400k.call 09098703460
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Aroh48(m): 10:02pm On Jul 02, 2016
What about scorpion house? Is there anythn like scorpion house? Some people have been saying that there is a kind of house you go in,and you will never achieve anythn good.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by seangy4konji: 10:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
That's a good one.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by codemaniacs: 10:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
HAH:

You clearly did not understand what the op wrote, he is 100% right because I have seen many prepaid meter with fixed out standing bill being charged monthly on them

Then its not a prepaid meter. The word "prepaid" means pay as you use and "fixed payments" means keep using even though its past its limit ...

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by 12inchDickson: 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2016
codemaniacs:
You're wrong about prepaid meters.. It uses card once the credit on the card has finished the light goes off...
maintenance fee will b charged from last recharge on the card... Even without use
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by spiralwedge(m): 10:39pm On Jul 02, 2016
Yes, Mr Oooops, you are correct.
I had an experience and has since learned.
A property in Lagos I moved to, many years back, had 6k arrears. I protested to the landlady and she didnt bulge one bit. PHCN cut and seized my wires two times. I didnt enjoy staying there for the first 2 months as I was hoping I could share the arrears with the landlady.
I eventually cleared it.
However, when i was moving out, I had 3 months left for my rent to expire. So, I locked up and owed additional one month when i left... making 4 months. From my estimation, the bill would have accrued to 15k by my rent's expiration.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 02, 2016
Had the same problem.. all i did was pay N10k with a bottle of Martell VSOP to the PHCN manager at my disco and N10k to my Marketer - WOOOOSHHH the bills disappeared promptly grin grin grin grin
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by spiralwedge(m): 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2016
codemaniacs:

The op is right. If u did not know, please learn now and stop arguing upandan.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Teddyg2(m): 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2016
codemaniacs:
U no saabi read
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by BrainnewsNg(f): 10:48pm On Jul 02, 2016
Oooops:
This is especially for my brothers and sisters in the everyday hustle... Lagos as a case study!
After gathering money for months and you finally decide that you want to rent another apartment and upgrade your status, which is of course a very good thing! Please put this into consideration!
This is an advice from my few months experience staying in Lagos and meeting with clients... Now enough of much talk!

Please, When you get that dream house of yours, I know d compound is cool, the rooms are big, and the neighbour's daughter is very pretty! But NEVER FAIL TO ASK FOR THE NEPA BILL/PREPAID RECEIPT OF THE HOUSE.

This is my point... I've seen many people rent a house after which they receive their bills for the next month and see an arrears of hundred's of thousands... some even more than the money used in renting the house! Trust me... NEPA bills are attached to properties and not individuals hence a former tenant can accrue debts and move out of the apartment while u Innocently go and rent it. The agents/Landlord will not show u the bill... You have to insist on seeing it.. else the bills will be on you as the new tenant and you will be held liable by NEPA... Afterall na u dem meet there...

This also applies to prepaid users. You may feel its prepaid meter... Some of those meters have accrued arrears. This is how it works. When a bill owes so much, and a prepaid meter is bought or given to the premises, The debts from the bill is factored into the prepaid meter and scheduled to be paid within a specific period of time, E.G

Benson owes 200k before he got a prepaid meter, NEPA (d distribution companies) wants to assist Benson since he can't clear it once, They factor the money into his meter say for 20months... That means Benson will be paying 10k as debt every month aside his normal recharge for the month!
So Benson moves out and you move in to meet a prepaid meter which makes you happy, only to recharge and discover you have a debt of 10k which you are to pay every month for a long time!!!

This you should put into consideration cos I have seen so many people in debt not incurred by them.

Have a lovely weekend

Thanks op
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by sixtus3606(m): 10:55pm On Jul 02, 2016
danowena:

Very nice advise but u need to tidy up the writing. Too many repetitions. I kept getting lost whilst reading.
I(eye),dey tells you grin
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Mintayo(m): 11:12pm On Jul 02, 2016
What's the point of paying for such bills,, when nepa or phcn hardly brought light. I will rather spend the money on fueling my gen. undecided
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by litaninja(m): 11:15pm On Jul 02, 2016
Refuse to pay. Invite them to come disconnect you. Use your gen for about a month or 2 (power supply is bad anyway). They'll come back to ask you to reconnect. They're private entities now, they need revenue.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Lexicon123: 11:19pm On Jul 02, 2016
But what should one do when the house has all the qualities he/she desires in a house, but for the accumulated bills? Should one abandon the house for that reason? Or is there a way of resolving such issue.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Chicagoesontop: 11:32pm On Jul 02, 2016
codemaniacs:

You don't know what you are talking about, please say the truth,have you seen a prepaid meter before? not to talk of using it ... mtcheeww you claim to know while you know nothing !
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by emeviks: 11:44pm On Jul 02, 2016
It would be better off if PHcN will introduce NET METERING system rather than this prepaid meters...
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by oluspicy: 11:46pm On Jul 02, 2016
This is quite educating. I remember when I was searching for an apartment in my area here in Ibeju Lekki (Sangoredo Town) After the landlady had agreed to let it out for a total of 150k, and av paid. But God used her to spoil the business. She asked me to pay extra 10k for the fee that was used in bringing light to the house. Dat was where I flared up rejecting the fee.(even av not known if huge bills is pending).

Sharply sharply, I collected all my cash and absconded.

The funny part of the story is that her daughter, who just gained admission to the university, was already thanking God in her mother's inner room, not until we turned down the deal( I'm sure she was in tears when we left)

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Juxtified(m): 12:00am On Jul 03, 2016
HAH:

So how does one check if there are any outstanding bills attached to a prepaid metre?
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by skywalker001(m): 12:06am On Jul 03, 2016
Layooluwa:
Chai!!! Op, why you come expose us like this na?? sad.

#Just joking
Op, nice one.cheesy
Layooluwa ava ?
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Bachelor5(m): 12:06am On Jul 03, 2016
Right now i dont hv light in my own houz because of this mistake i made. I entered the houz last month and now phcn came and cut it saying we are owning 185'000. I was like HOW!!!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by HAH: 12:09am On Jul 03, 2016
codemaniacs:

Then its not a prepaid meter. The word "prepaid" means pay as you use and "fixed payments" means keep using even though its past its limit ...

Oga you are completely got it wrong, for example when my brother moved to his current house it has a prepaid meter, but when he went to buy credit he saw that there was outstanding 5000 naira to be paid upon further enquiry from nepa he was told that the house never had a prepaid meter but on instalation of the prepaid meter the outstanding debt of over 100k was transfered to the prepaid meter but to be paid installmentally he was told every month he will be paying 1000 naira that means it will take about 100 months to clear the debt,

If my brother tenders 5000 for airtime purchase every month only 4000 naira worth of credit will be given to him as they deduct their outstanding 1000 naira. This is what the op is asking us to be aware of when paying for rent.

In the case of my brother the landlord agreed that any outstanding paid will be deducted from his next rent.

Hope I explain better. Cheers,
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by HAH: 12:17am On Jul 03, 2016
Juxtified:

So how does one check if there are any outstanding bills attached to a prepaid metre?

You will see it on the token from nepa, for example when you tender 5000 you will see l narrative like VAT 250. Unit 3750 and outstanding 1000. Whenever you see outstanding it means debt, from there you make further enquiry from the nepa staff he will tell you reason for outstanding, the balance remaining and duration of payment.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Juxtified(m): 12:30am On Jul 03, 2016
HAH:

You will see it on the token from nepa, for example when you tender 5000 you will see l narrative like VAT 250. Unit 3750 and outstanding 1000. Whenever you see outstanding it means debt, from there you make further enquiry from the nepa staff he will tell you reason for outstanding, the balance remaining and duration of payment.
Ok, this is helpful. Haven't used a prepaid metre before but planning to get one. I actually met a bill of over 320k that I'm still slugging out with my landlady, who by the way has stopped picking calls.

But is there a way to know even before you pay the rent and move into the house?
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by FemiFaniKayode: 1:22am On Jul 03, 2016
Nessy10:

Barao banza
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by FemiFaniKayode: 1:29am On Jul 03, 2016
serecode:
TO LET: Neat 2 bedroom flat in ireakari isolo,for 400k.call 09098703460

Where for Ire Akari?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Architect Turns Old Cement Factory Into His Home / What Is The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And Deed Of Assignment??? / Building In Nigeria: Lessons Learned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.