Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Before You Rent That House!!! - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Before You Rent That House!!! (36092 Views)

Before You Build That House, Before You Spend That Money! / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. / Warning! Don't Pay That Rent Or Buy That House Without Us. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by rose54321: 1:32am On Jul 03, 2016
Thanks OP, this is not something I wouldn't have considered doing, but now see the importance.

Any other tips
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by funkyjms: 2:40am On Jul 03, 2016
Oooops:
This also applies to prepaid users. You may feel its prepaid meter... Some of those meters have accrued arrears. This is how it works. When a bill owes so much, and a prepaid meter is bought or given to the premises, The debts from the bill is factored into the prepaid meter and scheduled to be paid within a specific period of time.

HAH:
For example when my brother moved to his current house it has a prepaid meter, but when he went to buy credit he saw that there was outstanding 5000 naira to be paid upon further enquiry from nepa he was told that the house never had a prepaid meter but on instalation of the prepaid meter the outstanding debt of over 100k was transfered to the prepaid meter but to be paid installmentally he was told every month he will be paying 1000 naira that means it will take about 100 months to clear the debt,

If my brother tenders 5000 for airtime purchase every month only 4000 naira worth of credit will be given to him as they deduct their outstanding 1000 naira. This is what the op is asking us to be aware of when paying for rent.

In the case of my brother the landlord agreed that any outstanding paid will be deducted from his next rent.

How to know outstanding debt?

HAH:
You will see it on the token from nepa, for example when you tender 5000 you will see l narrative like VAT 250. Unit 3750 and outstanding 1000. Whenever you see outstanding it means debt, from there you make further enquiry from the nepa staff he will tell you reason for outstanding, the balance remaining and duration of payment.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by gabbytabby: 4:59am On Jul 03, 2016
9ja tenants are a big headache that is why you need to evict even for non payment of bills.

landlord or agent needs to check bills from time to time and need to get rid of the bad eggs who will infect others.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by obinna2nv(m): 6:22am On Jul 03, 2016
Juxtified:

Ok, this is helpful. Haven't used a prepaid metre before but planning to get one. I actually met a bill of over 320k that I'm still slugging out with my landlady, who by the way has stopped picking calls.

But is there a way to know even before you pay the rent and move into the house?

You have to DEMAND to see the electricity bill(the very last month), for prepaid, you ask for the last recharge slip. If you have doubts, take the slip to the nearest disco office and ask the cashier for the debt profile of the meter, if its owing. Before you pay the rent. You don't plead or beg to see it, its your right to know, no matter how nice the place looks, no matter how sweet tongued the landlord or agent is. Unless its a brand new house, if they don't show you the bill, move on to the next search. You'll definitely get the house and peace of mind you're seeking for.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by egopersonified(f): 6:33am On Jul 03, 2016
This actually happened to me. The prepaid metre had a debt of 16k we had to pay before we could recharge it and another debt of 22k transferred from the old metre, of which we pay N500 every month, this will take us till next year to pay up.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Sike(m): 6:35am On Jul 03, 2016
Oooops:
This is especially for my brothers and sisters in the everyday hustle... Lagos as a case study!
After gathering money for months and you finally decide that you want to rent another apartment and upgrade your status, which is of course a very good thing! Please put this into consideration!
This is an advice from my few months experience staying in Lagos and meeting with clients... Now enough of much talk!

Please, When you get that dream house of yours, I know d compound is cool, the rooms are big, and the neighbour's daughter is very pretty! But NEVER FAIL TO ASK FOR THE NEPA BILL/PREPAID RECEIPT OF THE HOUSE.

This is my point... I've seen many people rent a house after which they receive their bills for the next month and see an arrears of hundred's of thousands... some even more than the money used in renting the house! Trust me... NEPA bills are attached to properties and not individuals hence a former tenant can accrue debts and move out of the apartment while u Innocently go and rent it. The agents/Landlord will not show u the bill... You have to insist on seeing it.. else the bills will be on you as the new tenant and you will be held liable by NEPA... Afterall na u dem meet there...

This also applies to prepaid users. You may feel its prepaid meter... Some of those meters have accrued arrears. This is how it works. When a bill owes so much, and a prepaid meter is bought or given to the premises, The debts from the bill is factored into the prepaid meter and scheduled to be paid within a specific period of time, E.G

Benson owes 200k before he got a prepaid meter, NEPA (d distribution companies) wants to assist Benson since he can't clear it once, They factor the money into his meter say for 20months... That means Benson will be paying 10k as debt every month aside his normal recharge for the month!
So Benson moves out and you move in to meet a prepaid meter which makes you happy, only to recharge and discover you have a debt of 10k which you are to pay every month for a long time!!!

This you should put into consideration cos I have seen so many people in debt not incurred by them.

Have a lovely weekend
I happened to be the 100th user to like your post. Award.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by 2packer(m): 6:42am On Jul 03, 2016
The blame is not just on the previous tenant only. Sometimes after the tenants move out without outstanding arrear but phcn keep producing bill for such houses even when they know that no one is staying there. If it's five months before a new tenant enters the apartment then automatically you will find five months bill outstanding. Long story short PHCN is dubious, these rubbish will only stop when citizens start suing them and the judiciary waking up to their responsibilities as well

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by xerxes456(m): 7:39am On Jul 03, 2016
I will not pay for what I didn't consume... PHCN can come and disconnect till they are ready to do the right thing or sue me n c if they will win the case... Gennys and inverter full market... non it's high time bills are tied to the very consumer not buildings, IN FACT WE HAVE WHOLE LOT OF STRUCTURING TO DO IN THIS COUNTRY... #WENEEDANATION

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:03am On Jul 03, 2016
codemaniacs:
You're wrong about prepaid meters.. It uses card once the credit on the card has finished the light goes off...
Arrears on prepaid meters are deducted installmentally when you want to recharge your card (buy credit) depending on how much arrears on the meter.

If the debt on a prepaid meter is N120,000 for example, you might be asked to pay N8,000 every month to clear the debt. What that means is that you will use about N13,000 every month to recharge.

That is N8,000 for debt and N5000 to buy about 200 units of credit (recharge). If your money is not up to that N13,000 you will not be able to recharge which means you will be in darkness.

The way prepaid meters accrue debts is when the meter is installed for someone that was on estimate bills or analog meter and he had not been paying his bills.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:11am On Jul 03, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
How the person manage to owe them like that? You too start to owe your own.
You can owe electric bill only if you are on estimate billing or you are using analog meter. There's no way you can owe if you are on prepaid meter.You either buy credit (recharge) and have light or you don't buy credit and be in darkness.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:17am On Jul 03, 2016
greggng:
Estimated billings can make one sick that's why people find it hard to pay
You are quite right. I know a block of 6 flats where about 4 flats are owing more than N300,000 each because of estimate billing. There's virtually no light and IKDC gives them a bill of N9,000 every month!

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:25am On Jul 03, 2016
Juxtified:

Ok, this is helpful. Haven't used a prepaid metre before but planning to get one. I actually met a bill of over 320k that I'm still slugging out with my landlady, who by the way has stopped picking calls.

But is there a way to know even before you pay the rent and move into the house?
Just like the OP said, ask for the last electric bill of the apartment you want to rent. Do not pay until you see the bill.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:29am On Jul 03, 2016
xerxes456:
I will not pay for what I didn't consume... PHCN can come and disconnect till they are ready to do the right thing or sue me n c if they will win the case... Gennys and inverter full market... non it's high time bills are tied to the very consumer not buildings, IN FACT WE HAVE WHOLE LOT OF STRUCTURING TO DO IN THIS COUNTRY... #WENEEDANATION
You mean restructuring.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Juxtified(m): 8:29am On Jul 03, 2016
murmee:
Just like the OP said, ask for the last electric bill of the apartment you want to rent. Do not pay until you see the bill.
Thanks!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Brethren001(m): 8:29am On Jul 03, 2016
Well on point. Tnx 4 d info
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Juxtified(m): 8:31am On Jul 03, 2016
obinna2nv:

You have to DEMAND to see the electricity bill(the very last month), for prepaid, you ask for the last recharge slip. If you have doubts, take the slip to the nearest disco office and ask the cashier for the debt profile of the meter, if its owing. Before you pay the rent. You don't plead or beg to see it, its your right to know, no matter how nice the place looks, no matter how sweet tongued the landlord or agent is. Unless its a brand new house, if they don't show you the bill, move on to the next search. You'll definitely get the house and peace of mind you're seeking for.
Thank you so much. Wish I knew this sooner.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 03, 2016
Here is my own contribution

Don't stay in a house where the landlord or landlady resides because they will not pay ANY bills, no receipt of ANY payment will be shown to you.

Don't look for house during dry season, especially in Lagos. I have been a victim twice, Mushin and Oworoshoki.

Don't rent an apartment where its a family house---- headache will be much.

Don't rent a house where they are many single mothers or women there you will regret it------ too much gossips

Ask for any outstanding bill before making any payments, in most cases they will not to inform you••••••open your eyes...agents are seating fat on our sweat.

Lastbullet: ask the agents all this questions before going to check the house

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by murmee: 8:38am On Jul 03, 2016
2packer:
The blame is not just on the previous tenant only. Sometimes after the tenants move out without outstanding arrear but phcn keep producing bill for such houses even when they know that no one is staying there. If it's five months before a new tenant enters the apartment then automatically you will find five months bill outstanding. Long story short PHCN is dubious, these rubbish will only stop when citizens start suing them and the judiciary waking up to their responsibilities as well
That is why a prepaid meter is better than estimated billing or analog meters.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Godson32(m): 8:54am On Jul 03, 2016
Thank u for the info cos right now I m looking for a standard room & parlour mini flat from ilason lekki to ajah to sangotedo. My budget is 300/350k,link me up if u have one. Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by olucomf: 9:00am On Jul 03, 2016
True talk..
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by uvalued(m): 9:15am On Jul 03, 2016
Oooops:
This is especially for my brothers and sisters in the everyday hustle... Lagos as a case study!
After gathering money for months and you finally decide that you want to rent another apartment and upgrade your status, which is of course a very good thing! Please put this into consideration!
This is an advice from my few months experience staying in Lagos and meeting with clients... Now enough of much talk!

Please, When you get that dream house of yours, I know d compound is cool, the rooms are big, and the neighbour's daughter is very pretty! But NEVER FAIL TO ASK FOR THE NEPA BILL/PREPAID RECEIPT OF THE HOUSE.

This is my point... I've seen many people rent a house after which they receive their bills for the next month and see an arrears of hundred's of thousands... some even more than the money used in renting the house! Trust me... NEPA bills are attached to properties and not individuals hence a former tenant can accrue debts and move out of the apartment while u Innocently go and rent it. The agents/Landlord will not show u the bill... You have to insist on seeing it.. else the bills will be on you as the new tenant and you will be held liable by NEPA... Afterall na u dem meet there...

This also applies to prepaid users. You may feel its prepaid meter... Some of those meters have accrued arrears. This is how it works. When a bill owes so much, and a prepaid meter is bought or given to the premises, The debts from the bill is factored into the prepaid meter and scheduled to be paid within a specific period of time, E.G

Benson owes 200k before he got a prepaid meter, NEPA (d distribution companies) wants to assist Benson since he can't clear it once, They factor the money into his meter say for 20months... That means Benson will be paying 10k as debt every month aside his normal recharge for the month!
So Benson moves out and you move in to meet a prepaid meter which makes you happy, only to recharge and discover you have a debt of 10k which you are to pay every month for a long time!!!

This you should put into consideration cos I have seen so many people in debt not incurred by them.

Have a lovely weekend
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by emsco(m): 9:40am On Jul 03, 2016
God bless you for OP for this write up
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by emsco(m): 9:40am On Jul 03, 2016
God bless you for OP for this write up
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by lollmaolol(m): 1:40pm On Jul 03, 2016
This is very true, I met huge NEPA bill when I came in to my new flat, instead of paying the huge debt I never owned, I simply paid my share for the month I used , now that NEPA stopped supplying constant electricity, I have stopped paying.

I expect the other tenants coming in to pay as they consume, it will be wicked thing to pay for what you never enjoyed in the first place.
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Dreyl(m): 2:22pm On Jul 03, 2016
Good
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by masties2(f): 8:09pm On Jul 03, 2016
I am in exactly the same crises. Moved into a house with accumulated bill of 80000. I do not intend to pay for what I did not use. I will only pay the current charges. The landlord should handle that.

1 Like

Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Baylam(m): 4:01am On Jul 04, 2016
Very true! Am a victim, the apartment I just rent owe 280k, I was billed 5k per month for 2bedroom apartment! I don learn! Na to shine your eyes!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by ugreat(m): 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2016
This is a fact. I moved into an apartment that d outstanding is 261k. Phcn spread it to be paid in 20months. When my previous recharge expired,I ll ve to clear the outstanding months of the 20months. Bad experience
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 4:25am On Jan 04, 2017
masties2:
I am in exactly the same crises. Moved into a house with accumulated bill of 80000. I do not intend to pay for what I did not use. I will only pay the current charges. The landlord should handle that.
modmatty! Longest time
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by masties2(f): 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2017
singlessubway:
modmatty! Longest time

I hail!
Re: Before You Rent That House!!! by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 13, 2017
masties2:

I hail!
how far now? We have not heard from you in years

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Architect Turns Old Cement Factory Into His Home / What Is The Difference Between Power Of Attorney And Deed Of Assignment??? / Building In Nigeria: Lessons Learned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.