Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,821 members, 7,828,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? (852 Views)

Access Bank Revealed "The Nigerian Avengers Hulk", Twitter Users Reacts / Funke Akindele To Star In Avengers: Infinity War / Federal Polytechnic Bida, Niger State Lecturer Caught Raping A Minor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by ontruth(m): 2:46am On Jul 03, 2016
IN THE early hours of June 16th a pipeline belonging to Nigeria’s state-owned oil company exploded. This was the latest in a string of attacks claimed by the Niger Delta Avengers, a new group taking out pipelines and oil platforms in the southern, oil-pumping part of the country. Since it started wreaking havoc in January production has plummeted to its lowest levels in two decades. Nigeria now churns out about 1.9m barrels of black stuff per day, about a third less than the government budgeted for this year. The militants seem sophisticated—one of their attacks took out a 250,000-b/d Shell export terminal—and they threaten “untold terror” ahead for the oil sector. But who are the Niger Delta Avengers?

The Avengers are not the first militant group to rise up in the Niger Delta. Oil was discovered in its swamps in the late 1950s and remains Nigeria's biggest export today. Yet much of the revenue has been squandered, leaving the Delta polluted and poor. At the last count (in 2010) more than half of its people lived on less than a dollar a day. In the early 2000s, young men rose up in a violent campaign for greater control of the region’s resources. Their Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) crippled crude production and drove international oil companies offshore. But they were bought off with an amnesty in 2009 and the attacks started to peter out.

Today’s militants probably number just a few hundred men. Among their fast-swelling ranks are many fighters from the former days. They are irritated that the cash-strapped government of Muhammadu Buhari, which came into power last year, has slashed the amnesty budget by two-thirds. Mr Buhari, a northerner, wants to phase out the payments entirely. The Avengers say they must continue; they think his anti-corruption campaign targets allies of his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, who hails from the Delta. And they want 60% of oil blocks returned to their people. Less is known about their leadership. Political sponsorship has been suggested but remains unproven. An old kingpin known as “Tompolo” has been fingered as their leader. The new government axed his lucrative pipeline-security contract and he is currently dodging arrest. Tompolo and the Avengers deny any link.

The militants say they do not want to spill blood. But they are heavily armed and in communication with angsty independence campaigners in the south-eastern region which calls itself Biafra. Smaller groups are popping up all over the Delta. Nigeria is already fighting one war, against Boko Haram jihadists in the north-east. It cannot afford another in the south. At its peak, oil accounted for 75% of government revenue—in the first quarter of this year that figure had fallen to just over 50%. As things stand, the attacks might cost Nigeria 40% of this year’s crude earnings. Local banks, which are exposed to indigenous producers, are clocking up bad debts. Power plants, which rely on gas to fuel their turbines, are turning on fewer lights than normal (which is a feat). The best hope will be a negotiated solution. Yet even that would not solve the fundamental problem: unless Nigeria pulls more of the Delta out of poverty, a new group will soon spring up.
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:06am On Jul 03, 2016
Awwwwn this is so romantic!undecided
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by mikolo80: 3:13am On Jul 03, 2016
Babe misguided goons that have us by the proverbial balls. Tryna get their own share of the national cake
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jul 03, 2016
makydebbie:
its so romantic.undecided..i'm touched..baby mii how is you?
I'm fine boo

You?

Goomoreen
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:28am On Jul 03, 2016
makydebbie:
mooreen oo...just some diary stuff...n i'm outta here
hmmm.. cool!

I never left here tho
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:43am On Jul 03, 2016
makydebbie:
thanks boo...wink
welcome smiley
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by SmartMugu: 3:54am On Jul 03, 2016
AirSultan:
Awwwwn this is so romantic!undecided

What's romantic? The bombings? Did you mean to post that in a different thread?
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:54am On Jul 03, 2016
makydebbie:
*yawns*...make i sleep small...bye dearsmiley
Aii, sleep well honsmiley

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 3:55am On Jul 03, 2016
SmartMugu:

What's romantic? The bombings? Did you mean to post that in a different thread?
I think you would want to direct that question to the op.

Look at the section she posted this in..

I was only being sarcastic egbonundecided
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by SmartMugu: 3:59am On Jul 03, 2016
AirSultan:
I think you would want to direct that question to the op.

Look at the section she posted this in..

I was only being sarcastic egbonundecided
I knew it was just a joke...
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Nobody: 4:01am On Jul 03, 2016
SmartMugu:
I knew it was just a joke...
Aii bruh.. morning.
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 5:07am On Jul 03, 2016
That long post is crap!

Simple definition: Niger Delta avengers is the next group made up of fools who are letting their senses get exploited.

Peace out.
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by Dahjhi: 5:26am On Jul 03, 2016
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
That long post is crap!
Simple definition: Niger Delta avengers is the next group made up of fools who are letting their senses get exploited.
Peace out.
What if there are senses in what they are fighting for? That region is still suffering and that's where the nations wealth is coming from. You heard their amnesty program was slashed right? Its high time Mr buhari sit tight and device a tactical means.
Re: Who Are The Niger Delta Avengers? by bitchcrafts: 5:30am On Jul 03, 2016
They can't have me believe they're fighting for the poor masses by this measure, personal interests sponsored by some now hungry/deprived invisible suckers who are politicians seems more like it. Okay, they talk about poverty which is a good representation of how partial the govt might have been with the allocation of resources, but the poverty in Maiduguri alone is more than that in any other state in the south. If the govt of the day really means business, they should just wipe them clean like the nuisance/dirt that they are. No compromise, no negotiations! If this democracy will continue holding progression back, let the military take over for things to go swifter... Just saying tho

(1) (Reply)

She Got Served For Trying To Insult Poor Boyfriends Girls Do Make / Wow See Pre-wedding Photos Of Unizik Arc. Dept. Lecturer Trending Social Media /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.