Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,015 members, 7,810,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months (7256 Views)

The Man Maina And Those Liable For His Return To Service / FG Spends N5bn On Presidential Fleet In 15 Months / Lagos State Generates N101Billion In 4Months (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by osinbanjoisaliar: 3:02am On Jul 07, 2016
The Federal Government spent a total of N446.44bn to service the nation’s domestic and external debts between January and April this year, figures obtained from the Federal Ministry of Finance have revealed.

The figures are contained in the Consolidated Income and Disbursement Account of the Federal Government for the first four months of this year prepared by the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.

The N446.44bn, when compared to the N317.87bn spent for the same purpose in the first four months of 2015, according to the document, represents an increase of N128.57bn or 40.4 per cent.

The report, which was exclusively obtained by our correspondent on Wednesday in Abuja, stated that the Federal Government spent the sum of N425.91bn on domestic debt, while the balance of N20.53bn was used to service the foreign component of the country’s total debt.

A month-by-month breakdown of the amount spent on debt servicing showed that the sum of N11.04bn, made up of N5.77bn for domestic and N5.27bn foreign, was spent in January; while February had N234.66bn (N229.58bn for domestic and N5.08bn for foreign).

In the month of March, the document put the amount spent on debt servicing at N119.09bn made up of N114bn for domestic debt and for N5.08bn foreign debt; while the sum of N81.63bn was spent in April, with N76.54bn and N5.08bn allocated for domestic and foreign debt servicing, respectively.

In the 2016 budget, the Federal Government had proposed to spend N1.475tn to service the nation’s debt.

According to the budget, a total sum of N1.30tn is expected to be spent servicing the domestic component of the nation’s debt, while N53.48bn is for foreign debts.

In addition, a total sum of N113.44bn was budgeted as a sinking fund to enable the government to retire maturing loan obligations.

The 2016 budget has a fiscal deficit of N2.22tn, representing 2.16 per cent of Nigeria’s Gross Domestic Product.

The deficit, according to the government, will be financed from borrowings of N1.84tn made up of domestic borrowing of N984bn and foreign borrowing of N900bn.

This, according to the budget document, is expected to increase the country’s overall debt profile to 14 per cent of the GDP.

The Debt Management Office had said refinancing 30 per cent (N2.56tn) of Nigeria’s total domestic debt of N8.4tn in the next one year posed a high risk to the economy.

It explained that the main risks to the existing public debt portfolio were the high refinancing risk, given that more than 30 per cent of the domestic debt would mature within one year; and the high interest rate risk arising from the high proportion of domestic debt due for re-fixing within the coming year, and therefore, exposed to changes in interest rates.

In the country’s debt management strategy document for 2016-2019, the DMO stated, “The direct exposure to exchange rate risk is limited due to the low share of debt denominated in foreign currencies and low interest rates at concessional terms that apply to most of the external debts.

“Regarding domestic debt, the large amount of short-term securities in the portfolio implies a relatively higher exposure to an interest rate increase and additional high refinancing risk.”

Commenting on Nigeria’s debt strategy, the Head, Banking and Finance Department, Nasarawa State University, Keffi, Uche Uwaleke, said the country was likely to have limited access to concessional funding, which currently constitutes a larger proportion of its external debt owing to its middle- income status.

Uwaleke, an Associate Professor of Finance, added that the new foreign exchange policy of the Central Bank of Nigeria, which has left the naira at the mercy of market forces, would trigger external vulnerabilities.

“The fact that the public debt portfolio is characterised by a relatively high share of domestic debt falling due within the next one year implies a relatively higher exposure to an interest rate risk since maturing debt will have to be refinanced at market rates, which could be higher than interest rates on existing debt,” he said.

http://punchng.com/fg-spends-n446bn-service-debt-four-months/

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Nobody: 3:08am On Jul 07, 2016
Okay ooo. Hope they have not forgotten their indebtedness to Nigerian workers. Federal workers have not been paid promotion, transfer and other areas since Buhari came to power.

6 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Standing5(m): 3:11am On Jul 07, 2016
Buhari's admin debt or previous admin's debt? If we talk, they call us names. God help us.

3 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by chriskosherbal(m): 3:12am On Jul 07, 2016
Ok
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Vendoor(f): 4:06am On Jul 07, 2016
Borrowing is sweet.... cheesy paying back is sad... embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by nnachukz(m): 4:22am On Jul 07, 2016
An additional whopping N128.57b was spent in the first quarter of this year as compared to last year. Excluding the effect of change in the price of a dollar, this could mean somebody is borrowing more or playing a fast one on us by converting the money to yam for himself and his boys. This is possible because we haven't seen any effect of additional kobo to the economy.

18 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by oduastates: 4:37am On Jul 07, 2016
Obj got us out of those debts to free up money for development and limit the input of the IMF.
Mr transformer got us back into it.
According to Mr clueless transformer , " The economy is in the hands of the experts ". In this case, a former managerial clerk at the world bank.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Proffdada: 8:02am On Jul 07, 2016
One looter can settle this debt sad

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by mopolch(m): 8:03am On Jul 07, 2016
All na wash!

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by dumininu01(m): 8:05am On Jul 07, 2016
Ok

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Leviseed: 8:06am On Jul 07, 2016
Ok and u still want to borrow more undecided
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by JonSnow(m): 8:06am On Jul 07, 2016
Dullard government grin

All those that voted and campaigned vigorously for buhari's change - the likes of beremx, obiagelli and the rest of the zombies, I have one question for you guys,

how market? grin grin

12 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by DWJOBScom(m): 8:08am On Jul 07, 2016
i hope APC pledged Nigerians will accept they have been scammed

and the last fact is that they need help
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Bleepyou: 8:13am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:
Dullard government grin

All those that voted and campaigned vigorously for buhari's change - the likes of beremx, obiagelli and the rest of the zombies, I have one question for you guys,

how market? grin grin

Oga wailer how market too?
Abi you no dey Nigeria
So na only APC supporters dey feel d heat
We wey dey neutral nko
NONSENSE

3 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by obailala(m): 8:14am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:
Dullard government grin

how market? grin grin
Buhari even though he plans to take loans hasnt taken any yet. He is currently only paying back the debt which your lord and savior incurred. Apparently the money used to fund projects like the abuja to kaduna rail which is the only project you lads have been celebrating as your saviours achievement after the trillions squandered in the boom years, buhari is presently paying the bill even in the recession; but I'm sure not every brain is smart enough to understand this.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by babdap: 8:16am On Jul 07, 2016
I should also be servciced cos somw of are been owed my than 7 months salaries.
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by LEJJ(m): 8:22am On Jul 07, 2016
kk
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by ndcide(m): 8:23am On Jul 07, 2016
Yet some people condemned Fayose for speaking out against the Chinese loan.

We all knew that Fayose's outcry expanded the discussion about the loan but for some people, due to party or Buhari reasons, acted foolishly.

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by jericco1(m): 8:29am On Jul 07, 2016
9ja and debts
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by lionshare: 8:29am On Jul 07, 2016
Wow...whats going on? Please dont blame this on GEJ.
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by eisenbruck: 8:30am On Jul 07, 2016
who owing d debt
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by JonSnow(m): 8:39am On Jul 07, 2016
Bleepyou:

Oga wailer how market too?
Abi you no dey Nigeria
So na only APC supporters dey feel d heat
We wey dey neutral nko
NONSENSE

Mr neutral, I ain't feeling no heat. I earn in dollars cool
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by davibid: 8:42am On Jul 07, 2016
bla bla bla ... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

can someone tell APC that we are already tired of their antics

smileyGEJ where are u, we are missing u

3 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by tundexijim(m): 8:54am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:
Dullard government grin

how market? grin grin

For ur mind now na Buhari owe the debt.. When he completes a project na gej start am but when it's debt na pmb start am..

3 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by NaijaMutant(f): 8:55am On Jul 07, 2016
ok
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by phemmyutd(m): 9:02am On Jul 07, 2016
ndcide:
Yet some people condemned Fayose for speaking out against the Chinese loan.

We all knew that Fayose's outcry expanded the discussion about the loan but for some people, due to party or Buhari reasons, acted foolishly.

But your Fayose did not tell us that your Jonathan was the one that put us indebt and no tangible thing he used then loan for apart from converting it to yam that your Lords and Saviour goats ate

1 Like

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Nobody: 9:06am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:
Dullard government grin
how market? grin grin

davibid:
bla bla bla ... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
can someone tell APC that we are already tired of their antics
smileyGEJ where are u, we are missing u

There are unquenchable fountains of hypocrisy in your bodies. When your Lord and HERO, GEJ was busy borrowing to pay salaries during his administration even at 120 dollars per barrel, where were you? You never saw anything wrong with the mindless borrowing, of course, you thought he'd be there till 2019. My problem isn't the borrowing per se, but I'm sure they were used for electoral purposes.

I'm even surprised that Ngozi Iweala as a financial expert was busy saying there's nothing wrong in borrowing despite knowing it's implications.

http://sundiatapost.com/2015/05/11/nigerias-economy-wont-collapse-says-okonjo-iweala/#/jobs?ref=Sundiata&page=1&count=20&use_ng=1

http://papertalk.ng/nigerias-economy-under-threat-as-debts-hit-n11tr/

http://saharareporters.com/2016/05/27/time-ngozi-okonjo-iweala-and-jonathan-vomit-emmanuel-uchenna-ugwu

8 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by Bleepyou: 9:08am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:

Mr neutral, I ain't feeling no heat. I earn in dollars cool

Na that one you for talk na
Oya show me the way
Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by fortune1968: 9:15am On Jul 07, 2016
Jonathan debts

2 Likes

Re: FG Spends N446Billion To Service Debts In 4months by captleonerd(m): 9:16am On Jul 07, 2016
JonSnow:
Dullard government grin

how market? grin grin
who incurred the debts that are being serviced?

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ekiti: PDP Confident Of Victory At The Court Of Appeal / Sagay Reveals Those Questioning Buhari Govt’s Anti-corruption War / Nigeria Police Attacks Eastern Security Network In Imo, Abandons Their Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.