Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,502 members, 7,816,194 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? (18655 Views)

Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! / Hilarious Laws Which You Were Probably Not Taught In School!!! / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:53am On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
Funny enough the whites love it, sounds smoother to me
Thats the thing. We wanna speak like the white, behave like them, dress like them, forgetting our own unique ways.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2016
Donbrig:
I've been wondering how a language like pidgin English that is widely spoken all over Nigeria is yet to be officially taught as a subject in our learning institutions. I think it is high time we take pidgin English to a very high level and polish it a bit. Even our politicians use it often during campaigns and some other African countries also speak pidgin English. Sometimes, I wonder how the western world would have packaged and polish pidgin English if it were to be their language.

How do you teach English and then teach another one that is a perverted form of it? Won't that be working at a cross purpose? You want your student to understand, speak and write a good English yet you encourage him to speak a perverted version of it. You will never achieve your aim. Their is nothing to teach in pidgin English; its construction follows no format, its just a colloquial language spoken by many who can't comprehend good English. Many will automatically pick it on the street. Energy that would be channelled into teaching it should rather be poured into ensuring students master their English Language.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by olutop(m): 8:55am On Jul 08, 2016
Xtopher123:
You no need go school of Pidgin make you learn am, as na almost everybody dey speak for country e dey easy to learn, imagine sey you dey teach onyibo man how to speak him onyibo language

Last Last nobi everybody gangan the Ajebo thm go wan make people catch the dey speak am na so that come no want make people dey learn am for school

You don't need a School of Pidgin English to learn it.. Being the most used Language in the country it's so easy to Learn, Imagine teaching an English man English..

Lastly not all especially the elites want to be caught speaking it, therefore they deem it not fit to be taught in schools

Are you telling me there are no English professors in Britain, what is Soyinka teaching abroad and lastly, even in Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba land dey still teach students dz languages and we do take it in SSCE.....My point is in nt enough jst 2 speak, some standards need to be set in Every language

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by olutop(m): 8:58am On Jul 08, 2016
tete7000:

How do you teach English and then teach another one that is a perverted form of it? Won't that be working at a cross purpose? You want your student to understand, speak and write a good English yet you encourage him to speak a perverted version of it. You will never achieve your aim. Their is nothing to teach in pidgin English; its construction follows no format, its just a colloquial language spoken by many who can't comprehend good English. Many will automatically pick it on the street. Energy that would be channelled into teaching it should rather be poured into ensuring students master their English Language.

American and British English are not the same yet Americans teach there students both the british english and the American English....neva underestimate wat ur brain kn do, even if we av a million 4m of English ur brain will still pick it if yu are willing to use ur brain

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Pavore9: 8:58am On Jul 08, 2016
asuustrike2009:

Why is India and China different inspite of their mulpilicity

Many languages that serves as official language of a Country has its own "pidgin version". Let us take us Swahili in Kenya as an example, Swahili is taught in schools but sheng which is the pidgin is not and people still flow with it.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by guyXander(m): 9:06am On Jul 08, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
1.Because it is not ''proper English''

2.Because it has no ''standard form''.

You're wrong. There are rules in pidgin. Just like every other language. If you don't know, ask. I am a bonafide Warri boy so I know what I'm saying.

You can't saying anything and expect it to be pidgin. If that's what you think.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Toofan007: 9:06am On Jul 08, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Have you ever thought of the effect it will have on students if they were taught Maths in pidgin? As in breaking all those vocabularies into pidgin?

We could call it Nigerian English, if youve not seen foreigners trying to learn pidgin i have seen, even here on NL.
Why not use the local languages then? Think of the effect teaching an Ibo man maths in his local language will have. After all , pidgin english is still English, right?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by LuveU2(f): 9:11am On Jul 08, 2016
tete7000:

But english is not our language.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tchalae: 9:24am On Jul 08, 2016
We've refused to standardise what is ours.. .The Americans standardised thier own English and made it work for them.. .pidgin English can be standardised and used as a very effective means of communication and learning, separating the slangs from the basic language....thers even Zimbabwean English so Nigerian linguists need to do more
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 08, 2016
ThePeacemaker:
Coz we were colonized by "BRITAIN" and not "PIDGIANS"....................... Oya translate this pidgin to Enqlish "2'0' clock don nak tey tey"...........
It clocked 2 o clock long ago.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Vince77(m): 9:25am On Jul 08, 2016
Pavore9:
I see no reason why it should be taught rather focus should be on our younger ones learning and speaking our local languages because many are heading to extinction.

Igbo especially
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by missstella(f): 9:26am On Jul 08, 2016
VictorRomanov:

Hehehehehe....okay ooo. I go try another person!
Okbye
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by oblak00(m): 9:29am On Jul 08, 2016
That pidgin for sharp oo. Imagine if I ask my teacher say 'sir abeg how we go take run that exam na?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Pavore9: 9:40am On Jul 08, 2016
Vince77:

Igbo especially

I have an audio recording of a BBC radio documentary titled Forgetting Igbo. Igbo language is really sliding! l was born and raised in Lagos but l never lost my igbo identity because growing up my parents made sure it was part of our upbringing. We were free to communicate with our friends outside the house in English, Yoruba and pidgin but once you enter the house it is igbo! I think in Igbo.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by UuzbaGuuzba: 9:44am On Jul 08, 2016
lexiconkabir:
I never knew people hated pidgin this much....

Pidgin is associated with bad things like,
Poverty or
I don't care attitude.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Vince77(m): 9:54am On Jul 08, 2016
Pavore9:

I have an audio recording of a BBC radio documentary titled Forgetting Igbo. Igbo language is really sliding! l was born and raised in Lagos but l never lost my igbo identity because growing up my parents made sure it was part of our upbringing. We were free to communicate with our friends outside the house in English, Yoruba and pidgin but once you enter the house it is igbo! I think in Igbo.

Wow. Nice way to go.

I need to follow ur steps.

I can speak it but not very deeply. I need to start thinking in igbo. Its gonna help me alot when im speaking out.

Im from IgboUkwu in Anambra.
What abt u?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 9:54am On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
Thats the thing. We wanna speak like the white, behave like them, dress like them, forgetting our own unique ways.
and they treat us like trash, I cry for Africa....BTW how are you today?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by prisiluv(f): 10:03am On Jul 08, 2016
Well,i feel its because it does'nt have a standard dictionary...you cant teach a language without proper reference-dictionary..although,I was informed,that its offered as one of the final year courses in Linguistics and african languages,in uniben...and for now,i jst realy think thats how far it can go! Even tho it has potentials of becoming a lingua-franca
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 10:05am On Jul 08, 2016
olutop:

American and British English are not the same yet Americans teach there students both the british english and the American English....neva underestimate wat ur brain kn do, even if we av a million 4m of English ur brain will still pick it if yu are willing to use ur brain

But Americans don't teach British English pari-passu with the American English. Also when you talk of both not being the same, it is not that American English is on the same level with pidgin English, the difference in American and British English is mostly in spellings, syntax and probably pronunciation of few words. If you can comprehend one of the two, you have probably comprehended the second and if you need to take exam in either it won't be a major hurdle transversing from one to another.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by RiloKiley: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2016
Because pidgin English is an informal language. It doesn't have rules and boundaries. It is fluid and can change at anytime. Warri pidgin for instance changes with the weather. You can hardly decipher what they are saying yet it's the same pidgin English.

E.g I am angry.
Pidgin english: I dey vex.
Warri pidgin: I go change am for u now now o.

See?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 10:10am On Jul 08, 2016
LuveU2:
But english is not our language.

The main reason why if it must be taught at all, then it must be taught very well. You don't take what belongs to another and corrupt, pollute or pervert it. What worth doing, worth doing well.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by benELOHIM7(m): 10:16am On Jul 08, 2016
My brother is has computed over 20000 pidgin, he intends to publish a pidgin english dictionary
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by benELOHIM7(m): 10:16am On Jul 08, 2016
My brother has computed over 20000 pidgin, he intends to publish a pidgin english dictionary

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by 9rad(m): 10:22am On Jul 08, 2016
undecided

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by solepager(m): 10:26am On Jul 08, 2016
ThePeacemaker:
Coz we were colonized by "BRITAIN" and not "PIDGIANS"....................... Oya translate this pidgin to Enqlish "2'0' clock don nak tey tey"...........

It's past 2pm awhile ago/already
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by solepager(m): 10:26am On Jul 08, 2016
ThePeacemaker:

It's past 2pm awhile ago/already tongue
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
and they treat us like trash, I cry for Africa....BTW how are you today?
I'm great, you?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 10:27am On Jul 08, 2016
greatiyk4u:
Dr (Mrs) Joy Uguru of GSP department of University of Nigeria suggested that in one of books.......
Was the book written in pidgin?...if not.... she suggests one thing but does the other.@topic....Pidgin is based in English....non Nigerian...non native.... a broken down form of English. ... should we teach the diluted form?...or the pure form? Most of the mechanics are kazeems... roadside untrained mechanics... should we then teach their methods of repair in the technical schools?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Brymose(m): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2016
brunofarad:
Pidgin is in built in every REAL NIGERIAN

So why would they start teaching you again

Are you double olodo ? grin
lmao how can someone be double olodo?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by LuveU2(f): 10:50am On Jul 08, 2016
tete7000:

The main reason why if it must be taught at all, then it must be taught very well. You don't take what belongs to another and corrupt, pollute or pervert it. What worth doing, worth doing well.
But they took everything we had away from us. They robbed us of our writing system, our culture and our self worth.
Why are you so quick to defend their language that is still existing?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by 360command: 10:58am On Jul 08, 2016
Nonsense! You are not the only one who has its own pidgin English. why don't you concentrate on making our native language official. pidgin English is in the heart of men, anybody can flow in pidgin as long as you dey Nigeria. even Cameroon get their own vernacular, cote d'ivoire has theirs. I don't see the need of making it official in schools.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 11:12am On Jul 08, 2016
LuveU2:
But they took everything we had away from us. They robbed us of our writing system, our culture and our self worth.
Why are you so quick to defend their language that is still existing?

I live in the present not in the past. I take advantage of what I currently posses and see how I can move forward with it. I believe everything that has happened as a purpose and I seek those purposes to use to advance my cause. What will dwelling on the past or what could have but is not do to me or you? It only builds up resentment, hate and anger. No one needs those ones.

Learning English doesn't stop anyone from learning his/her local language or valuing their culture. infact the more languages one can speak, the better for anyone. I am a Yoruba, I speak and write my language as well as I do the same with English language. If I can learn German, Spanish, Russian, etc, I will take the advantage. My ability to use any language enhances my worth, it doesnt diminish my person.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.