Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? (18658 Views)

Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! / Hilarious Laws Which You Were Probably Not Taught In School!!! / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Kowor(f): 11:24am On Jul 08, 2016
It have tayed when it clocked 2'0clock. Lol
ThePeacemaker:
Coz we were colonized by "BRITAIN" and not "PIDGIANS"....................... Oya translate this pidgin to Enqlish "2'0' clock don nak tey tey"...........
grin
ThePeacemaker:
Coz we were colonized by "BRITAIN" and not "PIDGIANS"....................... Oya translate this pidgin to Enqlish "2'0' clock don nak tey tey"...........

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Ubee20: 11:29am On Jul 08, 2016
That pidgin English is a widely used language does not make it an official language...take note; pidgin English is not our language. It has its source from different languages(both local and international). The early traders had no common language with the Portuguese whom they traded with,so the need for a common language arose...that's how pidgin started in Nigeria. For it to be made official is something scholars are still arguing about.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by winj: 11:30am On Jul 08, 2016
Start by teaching Nigerians to speak the standard English first!

Why don't you listen to Nigerians, their presidents and official representatives and see how the English language is being bastardized by people whose official language is supposed to be English!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by LuveU2(f): 11:36am On Jul 08, 2016
tete7000:

I live in the present not in the past. I take advantage of what I currently posses and see how I can move forward with it. I believe everything that has happened as a purpose and I seek those purposes to use to advance my cause. What will dwelling on the past or what could have but is not do to me or you? It only builds up resentment, hate and anger. No one needs those ones.

Learning English doesn't stop anyone from learning his/her local language or valuing their culture. infact the more languages one can speak, the better for anyone. I am a Yoruba, I speak and write my language as well as I do the same with English language. If I can learn German, Spanish, Russian, etc, I will take the advantage. My ability to use any language enhances my worth, it doesnt diminish my person.

Have you taken advantage of learning other indigenous languages here in Nigeria?

Positive anger yields positive results. If you are not angered by the fact that we were robbed, i am and what would our anger do? it would force us to think for ourselves and become our own innovators

You speak mildly of the past as if it has no effect on us now. If other countries who were colonised can bring back their writing system and make their indigenous languages official why are we ashamedof ours?

Why are blacks not respected in the world, is it not because of the past and the present, which was shapened by the past
History matters a lot.

You are not smarter or intelligent when you copy others, you are smarter when you create and nurture your own. Thats the only way to earn respect in this world

Today English, a foreign language is our official language. A shame on us
If only we realise the power of Language.
Making English our official language has automatically made us see white as superior, and in short anything close to white and our local heritage as inferior. There is power in speaking a language. It can change your perspective and affect your psych. You may not know but it is real.

I am not against learning English but it shouldnt be our official language.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:42am On Jul 08, 2016
Donbrig:
I've been wondering how a language like pidgin English that is widely spoken all over Nigeria is yet to be officially taught as a subject in our learning institutions. I think it is high time we take pidgin English to a very high level and polish it a bit. Even our politicians use it often during campaigns and some other African countries also speak pidgin English. Sometimes, I wonder how the western world would have packaged and polish pidgin English if it were to be their language.

Good question!. And here is the answer;

Western education was designed to make Africans feel inferior, to villify anything African, to keep us in intellectual and mental slavery, to extol western ideals, to worship white people. That's why.

We have been so brainwashed that we need white people themselves to tell us that Pidgin English and our native languages should be our language of instruction in schools.

Yes, we're still in slavery!. If we were colonized by people who spoke Pidgin, we would've also been learning Pidgin in school!!. If we were colonized by people who spoke Russian, we would've also been studying Russian in school. Western education have brainwashed us beyond repair and we simply no longer have the power to know what would be good for us. That's why you see people here on this thread shamelessly defending English language at the expense our our own Pidgin English. That's exactly what we were schooled to do just like a puppy- dog.

English language was created by illiterates who couldn't speak French, Spanish or German. That's why it's such an illogical language.

It originated same way our Pidgin English is today. It was only in 1362 that English became an official language in England.

This's why we need to standardize our own Pidgin English and make it our official language in Nigeria, because that's exactly what the British did in 1362.

We're still slaves doing what the colonial masters trained us to do via brainwashing education. When our eyes open to knowledge we'll rewind to our native languages and Pidgin English as language of instruction in schools and society.

Slavery lasted 400 years.

Colonialism lasted 50-90 years.

Nobody knows how long intellectual and mental slavery would last.

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, it's under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ThePeacemaker(m): 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
Kowor:
It have tayed when it clocked 2'0clock. Lol grin
F9............Lol

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by elisra(m): 12:03pm On Jul 08, 2016
I agree with the op,because even Americans customized their own English almost different from the British.
Am even of the opinion that the ministry of education should assemble a team of professional linguists in various nigerian languages so that they would translate science textbooks to local languages.
Can you imagine the progress we are a people will make if our children are taught that silicon is nothing but sand,potassium aluminate is just alum,iron 2 and iron 3 are simply red clay soil.
Africa will simply take back her heritage(technology)

1 Like

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 12:08pm On Jul 08, 2016
weblord1900:
what do you want them to teach you again in pidgin English ..nawao

Ironically, that's the more reason we need to study it in school and use it as language of instruction.

English people also study English in school.

French people study French in school.

Germans study German in school.

Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Persian, e.t.c, e.t.c.

Don't you think we're too dumb to have to study someone else's language at the expense of ours?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nina4u(f): 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
Dis na di taim ooo .. grin grin I JUS WISH SAY ALL THIS OYIBO PEOPLE SABI PIDGIN ENGLISH..COS THIS LANGA NA D KOKO..hahahahaha I con think say E go be beta idea to open thread wey effry body go dey speak pidgin English.......How una see am ehhnn? Pipo, make una try to take make this thread dey in pidgin english.....I dey 9ja 4 outside sabi speak pidgin.....Una thank you well well ... grin
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by tete7000(m): 12:55pm On Jul 08, 2016
LuveU2:

Have you taken advantage of learning other indigenous languages here in Nigeria?

Positive anger yields positive results. If you are not angered by the fact that we were robbed, i am and what would our anger do? it would force us to think for ourselves and become our own innovators

You speak mildly of the past as if it has no effect on us now. If other countries who were colonised can bring back their writing system and make their indigenous languages official why are we ashamedof ours?

Why are blacks not respected in the world, is it not because of the past and the present, which was shapened by the past
History matters a lot.

You are not smarter or intelligent when you copy others, you are smarter when you create and nurture your own. Thats the only way to earn respect in this world

Today English, a foreign language is our official language. A shame on us
If only we realise the power of Language.
Making English our official language has automatically made us see white as superior, and in short anything close to white and our local heritage as inferior. There is power in speaking a language. It can change your perspective and affect your psych. You may not know but it is real.

I am not against learning English but it shouldnt be our official language.

You have some valid points but past has to be put in the right perspective. It should engender positive and not negative in us. I don't believe you change anything by being negative. I am an absolute positive person and give no room for negativity. Bitterness, anger and resentment as far as I know has created more problems than they ever solved.

Regarding the issue of language, I only gave those foreign languages as examples because the issue being discussed relates more to English Language which is a foreign language. However my argument for foreign languages stand the same way when it comes to our local languages - the more languages you can speak, the better a person you are. We all should not allow ethnic bigotry to becloud that reality. I sometimes really wish I can speak most of the Nigerian major languages and when opportunity arose, I often seized to at least learn the basic greeting in some of our languages, sadly though I am very poor when it comes to languages and as such I envy those I find communicating in more than one indigenous/foreign languages; it's a plus not minus for anybody.
On whether English should be our official language, that's a foregone and concluded matter. It's already a done deal and I don't understand how revisiting it can ever change anything. Do we at this stage of our national life begin to change our official language? A language in which many of our past has already been scripted. I don't personally see any sense in that and I believe it will bring more confusion that solve any problem. Secondly of all problem that bedevil us as a nation, is it really the English language that is of utmost priority? Lastly, in a multi ethnic nation like ours, I believe having a neutral language like English as official language really benefits us more than harm us. If we opt to adopt any of our local and indegenious language, it will actually divide us more than unite because those whose languages are not chosen will in our characteristic manner read tribal sentiment into it.
English language I don't believe make us feel inferior in any way since it doesnt deprive or strip us of learning and speaking our indigenous language. I will rather say mastering it really should prove to the owner of the language that we are actually a special brand of people who have the capacity to learn, speak, write and probably do better in language that is not our mother tongue. Wole. Soyinka is a Yoruba man that has mastered the English Language to the point that even the owner of the language recognised and honoured him for that feat; he is nominated to be a reviewer of one of the popular dictionary of English language. That you will agree with me cannot be said to have made Soyinka feel inferior. The same man speaks and write his Yoruba language with the same fluency. The real problem is when we don't embrace the positive side of our culture alongside the foreign culture we have embraced. Many of our people in a quest to sound sophisticated jettison their language and refuse to pass it on to their offsprings. Sadly, that doesn't mean the children end up mastering the adopted language. It is a problem of low self esteem and that is caused by poor education rather than by the medium through which the education is given.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by AndreSalvatore: 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2016
ThePeacemaker:
its been 2'0' clock ever since... Lol
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by bukster(f): 2:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
What is the benefit of pidgin? Can it be understood outside of Nigeria. Some regions in Nigeris cannot even understand when someone from a different area speaks pidgin to them. Pidgin does not have a structured grammatical layout and words can just be created from thin air. It has nothing to do with out indigenous language.

The only reason that countries like Jamaica may have Patois had their official language is because they do not have a native one. In the end, students still learn in standard English.

If we want to copy a countries system, it is better to copy India. India is more similar to Nigeria than Jamaica or America. India was also colonized by Britain, there are more indigenous languages spoken in India than in Nigeria. India's education system is considered to be fairly good and are known for being very intelligent worldwide. Indian schools teach in both the native languages and English. By the time the student graduates from Indian schools they can usually speam at least 2 languages fluently and sometimes even 3.

We should be asking for our native languages to be more intergratedbin schools. Many native languages are dying and if Nigeria is not careful we will end up like the likes of Jamaica, Liberia, Haiti. Not having any native language to call our own except for a bastardized form of English.
I am Yoruba and I would prefer to bw taught in Igbo or Hausa in schools than Pidgin.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Emeskhalifa(m): 2:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
eyinjuege:

Is Patois formally taught in Jamaican schools?

I'm asking a honest question o, no be say I dey pull ya legs
Okkk you've won!!!
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2016
AreaFada2:
Gbam! Most annoying when a girl who cannot even speak English dey form phonair. grin Very fake.

No country in the world ever achieved anything tangible with a non-native language as official language. UK, Germany, France., USA, Canada, South Korea, China, Italy. Just name it. All have native languages.

Even North Korea, with all their backwardness, would not make atomic weapon if they had adopted Efik, Yoruba or Vietnamese as official language.

It affects innovation, thought process & intelligence of most people generally using a borrowed language. grin cheesy
God bless you bro.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by madskills(m): 4:24pm On Jul 08, 2016
Haba op na so u come take inglis yarn d mata?na 4 pigin u 4 carry fire d mata next time....
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Have you ever thought of the effect it will have on students if they were taught Maths in pidgin? As in breaking all those vocabularies into pidgin?

We could call it Nigerian English, if youve not seen foreigners trying to learn pidgin i have seen, even here on NL.
[email] Like he clearly pointed out- "it has no standard form". Almost every state in Nigeria has a different translation for some English words in pidgin. [/email]
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by histemple: 9:33pm On Jul 08, 2016
weblord1900:
what do you want them to teach you again in pidgin English ..nawao

It is wrong to assume that everybody can speak Pidgin well. Again, you must understand that Pidgin English and pure Pidgin.

E.g. Wetin you dey talk (pidgin English) while (Wetin una dey yan) pure pidgin.

I just feel we need to develop the language and make it our own first language.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 10:04pm On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
I'm great, you?
perfect, been offline, work was tedious cause of the holidays, hope yours was productive?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
perfect, been offline, work was tedious cause of the holidays, hope yours was productive?
It was. Sorry for your tiresome day.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 10:54pm On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
It was. Sorry for your tiresome day.
Its ok, I have the whole weekend to maself, whats your schedule for the weekend?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
Its ok, I have the whole weekend to maself, whats your schedule for the weekend?
Nothing yet.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 11:05pm On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
Nothing yet.
Can I inbox you, I think we are derailing someone's thread grin
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
Can I inbox you, I think we are derailing someone's thread grin
Lol. My mail's not working though.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 11:37pm On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
Lol. My mail's not working though.
Would have loved to text you in private
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
Would have loved to text you in private
Too bad.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 11:50pm On Jul 08, 2016
LizGray:
Too bad.
Do you do whatsapp?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 08, 2016
ehix89:
Do you do whatsapp?
Lets just leave our chats here smiley smiley
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 12:02am On Jul 09, 2016
LizGray:
Lets just leave our chats here smiley smiley
Its all good, wouldn't push it, respect your decision absolutely.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 09, 2016
ehix89:
Its all good, wouldn't push it, respect your decision absolutely.
Cool.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by ehix89(m): 12:14am On Jul 09, 2016
LizGray:
Cool.
sure you don't mind following me?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by deltateam: 4:09am On Jul 09, 2016
flyca:
A thought of reading a Chemistry book in pidgin just flashed in my head now. Funny cheesy

Lol.
If sulphur come combine with tetraoxosulphate(vi) na im be say dem go form sulphur(iv) oxide.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Unn Pre-science/remedial/pre-degree Form/diploma Form Out For Sale / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose / Ozofor Ikenna Henry: UNIZIK Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.