Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,476 members, 7,816,123 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? (18654 Views)

Dear Nigerians, Pidgin English Has Basic Rules Too! / Hilarious Laws Which You Were Probably Not Taught In School!!! / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Donbrig: 9:22am On Jul 09, 2016
@LizGray and deltateam, why cant you guys find another platform to discuss your frivolous topics instead of derailing this thread. When will common sense be common for crying out loud. Both of you are about to be suspended from Nairaland forum for breaking some of the rules.
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by nigerianvenom(m): 9:38am On Jul 10, 2016
Stanleywaxy:
angry Let's try and be serious for once , wth would you allow your kid to learn pidgin in school .
Most kids can't even speak their mother tongue and you're asking why pidgin isn't taught in schools ...
Nah , I wouldn't let my kidbe part of it .
It's ridiculous .

But do u speak it? If yes, why?
Are u aware that the American English was once pidgin English?
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by nigerianvenom(m): 9:40am On Jul 10, 2016
VictorRomanov:

I don't think u know what u re saying. I could give u magazines and books written in standard pigin English. You forget that the English u so much pride in today had to go through many transformations over many centuries to appear standardised. Even at that it is still evolving.

We are the one to standardise it. It won't standardise itself

God bless u for this epic response. The American English was once pidgin
Re: Why Is Pidgin English Not Taught Officially In Nigeria? by Sinistami(m): 9:36pm On Jun 06, 2018
Lucario007:

This article annoys me slightly as someone who read English.
Anyone who spent a moderate amount of time studying English in the university or borrowing a course from English would easily be able to explain it to you. Back then, we inquired the same question to our lecturers, "why isn't pidgin the official language of Nigeria?"

First, in order to get some facts right, let me tell you now that "pidgin" or "broken" or "vernacular" is NOT a "language". (As a matter of fact, calling it so in an English lecture room back then was the fastest way to annoy our lecturer.)

If i recall correctly, in the stages of language formation, there are:
Pidgins
Creoles
Languages

Now Pidgin is a regional and social variety derived from the proper British English in which it's main use was as a language of commerce and limited communication. In other words, ALL forms of pidgin exists because it was REQUIRED for colonial masters to communicate with their slaves (I.e. us), and as such they invented a bastardized form of the language which was aptly utilized for that purpose.
It was only after the colonial rule that certain countries still utilized the pidgin, most usually due to their lack of proficiency in the proper British English.

Nigerian Pidgin borrows words heavily from other varieties, lacks unique phonological, orthographical, lexical and syntactical cohesiveness, and it is a primitive form of language which only exists today due to its ease of accessibility to Nigerians as a neutral ground of communication between all the different tribes. The Nigerian Pidgin cannot become a language because there are several different varieties of it as spoken according to their users, with each tribe impacting their own signature on the way they use it.

Before the Nigerian pidgin can be considered worthy enough to stand on its own as a language, it needs to undergo several steps and then evolve to become a creole and then undergo even MORE steps before we can even think of calling it a language.

But so far, the chances of that happening are very, very slim.

So in short: bros, abeg fashi that pidgin jawe and go learn beta thing, cause as i dey see am ba, na d correct English sweet pass for mouth. grin

Stop talking Shit Pidgin is already a Creole as we speak in the Nigerdelta South of Naija. and what language doesn't have lots of Varieties. and to me English is a language with a lot of Varieties and regional dialects. The Standard is Consciously Chosen by the People to write and speak in Formal setting. English is even theorized to be a pidgin. If Pidgin is a bastardization of English then English is a bastardization of Latin French German and lots more. French Spanish and Portuguese are all bastardizations of Latin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria / Why Foreign Universities Require Personal Statements Or Statement Of Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.