Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:59 PM

What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? (10516 Views)

What Did Igbos Contribute To APC To Warrant Igbo Presidency In 2023? / What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH EAST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? / I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:00am On Jul 09, 2016
I've been pondering for month what exactly the south west contribute to Nigeria's economy

**we know the North contributes a lot in terms of feeding,leather production and so much more!

**we know the SE contribute a lot in terms of commerce (import and export) business and so much more

**we know the SS contribute about 80% or more to Nigeria's economy in term of crude oil and other mineral resources

Now the big question is what is the major thing the south west contributes to Nigeria's economy ??

I'm talking about THE MAJOR THING!

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:01am On Jul 09, 2016
... cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by madridguy(m): 11:04am On Jul 09, 2016
grin
Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:06am On Jul 09, 2016
The answer is 'NOTHING' grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by dimieprincess(f): 11:06am On Jul 09, 2016
They help in grooming "agberos" and housing "beggars" for instance, Lagos is a good case study in both situations

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Ofemmanu1: 11:07am On Jul 09, 2016
You will never know anything good about Yoruba cos youre a flat.head, and being a flat.head is grave.

I hope the sane yeebos are reading this?!
If we pounced on your sorry ass, you'd cry foul, marginallization and hatred.

How on earth would a sane human opens a thread on a glorious saturday morning to taunts SW?!
This thread is unacceptable, it shows plain st.upidity from a biabia flat.head.

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by checkolatunji: 11:07am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:
I've been pondering for month what exactly the south west contribute to Nigeria's economy

**we know the North contributes a lot in terms of feeding,leather production and so much more!

**we know the SE contribute a lot in terms of commerce (import and export) business and so much more

**we know the SS contribute about 80% or more to Nigeria's economy in term of crude oil and other mineral resources

Now the big question is what is the major thing the south west contributes to Nigeria's economy ??

Really!!!!! You mean you don't know? Then how come you know all this about others?

Doctor pls come around, someone's brain need to be checked ASAP

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Eshinwaju: 11:07am On Jul 09, 2016
You people and your obsession with Yoruba sha.... angry...if we respond now, you will be crying up and down shouting like little babies....how can you dis the SW when they alone control over 70% of Nigeria's gdp....how much more relevant can they be

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Ofemmanu1: 11:10am On Jul 09, 2016
dimieprincess:
They help in grooming "agberos" and housing "beggars" for instance, Lagos is a good case study in both situation
Your biabia ass must be jealous of the amount of s.hit that just came out of your mouth.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:11am On Jul 09, 2016
checkolatunji:

Really!!!!! You mean you don't know? Then how come you know all this about others?

Doctor pls come around, someone's brain need to be checked ASAP

pls o i dunno enlighten me
Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by totit: 11:12am On Jul 09, 2016
grin
Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by totit: 11:12am On Jul 09, 2016
This topic has been over flogged.

Op, I want to employ you to run asap, don't start what you can't finish lest SE will not only be embarrassed with facts but the reality of her little or no contribution to the nation gdp. grin

I don Wan U ooo grin

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:14am On Jul 09, 2016
totit:
This topic has been over flogged.

Op, I want to employ you to run asap, don't start what you can't finish lest SE will not only be embarrassed with facts but the reality of her little or no contribution to the nation gdp. grin

I don Wan U ooo grin

y aren't u guy answering the question face the question ahh!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by checkolatunji: 11:15am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

pls o i dunno enlighten me

No be you find all those you wrote yourself? Simple Google will do for your research

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by DaBullIT(m): 11:17am On Jul 09, 2016
Your imports and exports will not be without Lagos port , the center of excellence by all means

Just stating the obvious

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by totit: 11:17am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

y aren't u guy answering the question face the question ahh!

grin grin

I guess you are either naive or you know little or nothing of what's going on yet abi?

I don warned you sha grin

OK, let's see lipsrsealed before I deal with you with facts, what region are you from bro

SE?
Don't be shy Oya tell me!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Thewrath(m): 11:17am On Jul 09, 2016
Ewedu

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:19am On Jul 09, 2016
DaBullIT:
Your imports and exports will not be without Lagos port , the center of excellence by all means

Just stating the obvious

we have portharcourt Delta cross river I dunno wah u saying

pls still answer the question

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by xprezboy: 11:24am On Jul 09, 2016
the yorubas are the most productive in federal republic of the North.
the sea ports in lagos alone generates more money than the entire 19 states in the north.
The international airport in lagos generates more money than the entire south east states
The industries in lagos, ogun and oyo state generates 90% of excise duties of the entire federation
The federal inland revenue services earn 90%of its target from the west
cocoa was once the main stay of Nigeria economy b4 the descendants of othman Dan fodio relegated the sophisticated people of south west in the scheme of things.
I hope your question has been answered?

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by totit: 11:29am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

I don't want to embarrass you hence I will take it easy with you :

[b]The GDP of the entire nation of Nigeria, the largest economy by far in Africa, currently is about N130 trillion naira(about $594 billion US dollars)(Wikipedia, list of African countries by GDP(nominal)). The Southwest, one of the six geopolitical regions of Nigeria, has an estimated GDP of about N67 trillion naira( about $305 billion US dollars), more than half of the GDP of the nation.

By my estimates, the Southwest region was the third largest economy in the continent of Africa n 2014! This must be a shock or a pleasant surprise to many people!

But the governors in the region have not adopted a robust revenue generating strategy to tap into the resource base of the region. Taxation of the poor and lower middle-class people is a bad strategy which does not reflect a global best practice. The poor have a greater propensity to spend than the rich, so a taxation of the poor is counter-productive as it eliminates the boost to the economy that their spending provides.

Taxation of the rich, middle-class, and upper middle-class, but not the poor, is a global best strategy to raise revenues for the operation of government, the provisioning of infrastructures, robust security apparatus, and social security services that benefit everyone: the rich, the poor, and the disadvantaged in society. Fortunately, there are millions of rich people living in the Southwest: naira millionaires, multi-millionaires, billionaires, and trillionaires available to be taxed.

If the governors of the Southwest had adopted a comprehensive income taxation for revenue as their strategy in 2014, they could have raised N13 trillion naira from a progressive income tax range of 0% for the poor, to up to 30% for the rich: ten times more than the N1.3 trillion naira raised last year!

The combined budget-to-GDP ratio of the states in the Southwest in 2014 was abysmally low, about 2% compared to about 40% in many advanced nations of the world. For the sake of argument, a budget that is 40% of the GDP of the Southwest is approximately N25 trillion naira. This is about twice the budget realizable from using a progressive tax bracket of 0% to 30%.

If the enhanced income-tax-based revenues are spent appropriately, the Southwest will become a prosperous region with robust infrastructures, full employment, improved security, and a world-class social security service.

It is widely accepted (on nairaland) that many governors of the Southwest have reasonably performed well. If they had tapped the hidden resources of the region, their performance would have been elevated to outstanding and transformational! We wonder why policies that would have made a difference in the lives of the majority of the people, such as progressive income taxation, had not been vigorously pursued and implemented. Income taxation will also diminish godfatherism and empower the people while swelling the coffers of governments in the region.

With abundant revenues through income taxation, the Southwest will be in a position to stop accepting monthly oil revenue distributions from the center, but be able to partner with Abuja and other state governors in joint projects of mutual benefit that will drive the economic growth of the nation.

The question that must be asked of the governors of the Southwest is this, are they aware that the great book says, for whom much is given much is required?

So much has been given to the region by the grace of God. So much then is required of the Southwest governments. The governors in the Southwest have an obligation not only to take care of the welfare of their residents but to also drive the socio-economic growth of the nation.

In conclusion, to the people of the Southwest, the third largest economy in Africa, ask not what Abuja can do for you, but ask your governors to:

1. Tax the peoples' incomes, a global best practice, using a progressive tax rate from 0% to 30%.

2. Use the revenues from the income tax to fund government operations, build, monitor, and maintain physical, security, health, education, and research infrastructures, and to provide services and social security to the people. As he who pays the piper dictates the tune, politicians will be compelled by the income tax payers to shift their allegiance from godfathers to the people. This will end godfatherism as the dominant factor in politics in the Southwest.

3. Promote exports and the tourism industry.
4. Work cooperatively with the private industry, research and development centers, and the tertiary institutions in the region.

5. Promote regional integration through intra-regional partnerships and engage in mutually beneficial ventures with Abuja and other governors in other regions.

6. Stop accepting the monthly oil distributions from Abuja from 2016, as this is the root of corruption in Nigeria. To curb corruption in the Southwest and elsewhere in Nigeria requires pulling up the root of corruption in Nigeria by ending the shameful exploitation of the minorities in the oil producing states.[/b]

http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/172621/1/to-the-people-of-the-southwest-the-third-largest-e.html

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Ofemmanu1: 11:30am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

Mr brown loof answer the question and stop typing poo! angry
I neither have the time nor the crayons to explain it to you.
Perhaps, you go and ask your father.
Ignoramus flat.head monkey.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by dimieprincess(f): 11:32am On Jul 09, 2016
Ofemmanu1:

Your biabia ass must be jealous of the amount of s.hit that came out of your mouth.
ahahahahahahahahahahahah e pain ham oooooooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Ofemmanu1: 11:33am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:
The answer is 'NOTHING' grin
Yes "NOTHING" thats how it feels in your flat.head. If your brain is a dynamite, it woudn't be enough to blow up your nose.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iaamxavier(m): 11:34am On Jul 09, 2016
Thewrath:
Ewedu
Isnt it the watery soup? grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by Thewrath(m): 11:37am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

Isnt it the watery soup? grin
Yes na,you no see as buhari dey since he started eating that soup grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Major Thing The SOUTH WEST Contribute To Nigeria's Economy? by iamDiabolic(m): 11:41am On Jul 09, 2016
iaamxavier:

u talk abouhh companies? its only in Lagos the sw have compaines and hope u know the company are owned by people from different region esp the SE

going about to cocoa and other stuff it was back then they contributed to the economy buhh now? nothing u said u produce the highest igr? without the help of other region in Lagos where will u find the igr from at leaat no SW produces high igr" u talk abouhh SE import and export not contributing to Nigeria economy what do u think makes China Japan etc top country in the world do u think its from cocoa?

moving on to oyel the south west only have 2 states producing oil buhh the SE have four state produce oil now who's deceving who?

The question still remains what is the major thing the SW contributes?
haha there u go again)eeboes pulling stats from there ass,very dumb nd greedy set of people,that's why one tried to scam me yesterday I ended up scaming him.s/west produce more oil dan s/east u can always gooogle it u bloody lier.only abia nd imo produce oil in s/east do u think we are decieved by ur usual lieing nd propaganda.not any more son.who cares if the chinness nd labeanese own company in lagos,all the tax belong to lagos.if u by aux in usa(los angeles) nd they task u,won't the money u paid as tax become there or is it still urs.mr.man go nd sleep I was expecting ur usual rant.since u guys own lagos,why not go nd develop ur red-mud palm tree roof republic.lagos igr is more than all s/east combined nd don't worry if nigeria divide we would chase u all out of s/west

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sultan Says Nigeria In Hard Times, Urges Muslims To Pray / Kogi West: INEC Begins Distribution Of Materials Ahead Of Supplementary Election / COVID-19: FG Denies Plan To Borrow Pension Fund For Palliatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.