Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' (27591 Views)

Obituary Of The 23-year-old UNIZIK Student Who Died From Malaria / Nigerian Guy Who Almost Died Of Drug Overdose Shares His Moving Story / You Are Not Doctors! Nigerian Man Who Nearly Died From Error Blasts Pharmacists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by okooloyun1(m): 11:04pm On Jul 10, 2016
Toluwani111:

Can you snap anything with the camera please or upload a photo you snapped with the phone ?
I'm a not a photo freak so d camera is not my prob I bought it coz d batt last longer. The back camera is 5mp and it's good while d front camera is 2mp which is nt really clear.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Period007(m): 12:10am On Jul 11, 2016
sainty2k3:
to all the pharmacist here, who in defense of there colleague claiming that Azithromycin is better than ciprofloxacin ; do u guys know anything about antibiotics stewardship at all.
the drug reaction is certainly an idiosyncratic reaction that would have occurred with any drug,even cipro . But no pharmacist have the right to change a doctors prescription without informing the physician
DAT professional photographer was self medicating
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by koboko69: 12:36am On Jul 11, 2016
frenchwine:
I read the first thread but refused to comment in order not to appear biased. Now that he has shed more light on the matter I think I should say something :
> What the boy went through was a hypersensitivity reaction to Azithromycin which prompted the severe form of asthma attack called Status Asthmaticus. Note that even Ciprofloxacin can trigger such an attack.
>The pharmacist is wrong by switching his meds without the consent of his doctor who should know him better however, even a doctor could prescribe Azithromycin (what the pharmacist gave him) because that drug is better for the condition he complained of. Reason being that he has not had a previous episode of hypersensitivity to Azithromycin, he wouldn't be able to offer such history, so even a doctor can make such 'mistake'.
> The only error of the pharmacist is taking up the responsibility of prescription which shouldn't have been done, otherwise, the boy should hold his chill and thank his stars that this happened in a place like Lagos where there are facilities to manage status asthmaticus.
>Lastly, his parents should call him to order, he is constituting a nuisance on social media.
Though I'm a doctor, buh I'm showing some love to the pharmacists cos any doctor could make same 'mistake '.

U are a useless doctor for sounding this way. He should thank his stars? Like seriously? This is the problem with Nigeria and Africa. When there is a known life threatening reaction to a particular drug, u still go ahead and prescribe it without carrying out necessary reactivity tests on the patient? In a case where this can not be easily determined or tested, do u just prescribe on assumptions? So a pharmacist changed a prescription without knowing the patient's medical history and all u can say is a dr can make same misrake or it was a mistake. A mistake that could send him to the great beyond. If it was in a developed country, do u know how much this particular guy could have made from the "mistake'. This in what is called involuntary man slaughter, your eyes will clear when they charge the pharmacist with that should the guy have died. what do u mean by mistake. i hope u remembered Jackson's personal physician. Cos rubbish go on unchecked here does not give u the right to say nonsense!
I dare u to make this kind of foolish comments in the public, not under the cover of internet and see if u won't be sanctioned or medical license withdrawn. Nonsense!
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by koboko69: 12:40am On Jul 11, 2016
sweet4:
Never intended to post a comment but can't hold myself any longer. I would have done the same. Am a pharmacist and I don't see anything wrong in changing the prescription from Ciprofloxacin to Azithromycin.But I would have the patient complete history and consent to do so plus I will call his doctor if there was a proper prescription .Do you know the ratio of pharmacist to patient that we have in Nigeria?More often you see these patients walk into a pharmacy in a hurry to pick a drug and tell you to forget about counselling. In civilised environment it should be reported to the phaemacovigilance department for proper documentation.How do you think FDA in the USA or NAFDAC in Nigeria come about banning some drugs or restricting their usage?This guy need to be flogged for tarnishing the image of this great profession.Above all thing he needs to acquire wisdom as I can see that he lacks it.#Asmenofhonour#
Contradicting ur self. How is this the same? Africa and Nigeria is on a long thing.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 3:20am On Jul 11, 2016
drered:

Don't be silly by insinuating that all pharmacists do is to dispense drugs doctors prescribe.

Go look at how it's done in developed countries since you think they can play doctor! Smh!
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 3:28am On Jul 11, 2016
saintdennis:

Nah...you're unapologetically ignorant... continue exhibiting it.

If I take coartem cos I know it works for me and upon request a pharmacist tells me he's got a better one, he is supposed to lecture me on the drug administration and side effects.

In naija they only tell u administration (dosage) and tell u bye-bye.

Your ignorance stems from an "ITK" mentality it ain't your fault sha. It's the black man's curse

Lol...funny your comment above is a clear example of ITK. I will leave you to continue to wallow in your ignorance
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by lepasharon(f): 4:47am On Jul 11, 2016
princey83:

madams....pharmacist do prescribe. They even give injections; atleast in Canada. Except canada is no longer a developed country

What do they prescribe?
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by ilovetheline: 4:56am On Jul 11, 2016
lepasharon:

What do they prescribe?
hey sharon
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 11, 2016
TCD:

Just look at what this one is saying. So if a doctor requests a throat swab or sputum MCS and the culture and sensitivity comes out with sensitive to ciprofloxacin and resistant to others and it is prescribed, the patient comes to you and with your quackery you will refuse to dispense the drug? you see how ridiculous you sound?

A pharmacist has no right to change any medication for a patient without recourse to the the prescribing physician. you are not privy to the patients history, physical examination findings, laboratory and radiological results as well patients socio economic situation all of which influences drug choice.

And for your information Mr Pharm Doctor, Ciprofloxacin can be used to treat both upper respiratory tract infections like sinusitis and lower respiratory tract infections including nosocomial pneumonia.
you're just right on this but I thought he walked in without a prescription. I do know that it's wrong to alternate a prescription without discussing with the dr. since there wasn't an order what the pxcists did was right only that the patient reacted to the drug. anyone can react to drugs
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by EHoudini: 6:52am On Jul 11, 2016
Such ungrateful pipo shld normally die. Get a live, be grateful, move on. Stop bitching. I don tire
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 11, 2016
koboko69:

U are a useless doctor for sounding this way. He should thank his stars? Like seriously? This is the problem with Nigeria and Africa. When there is a known life threatening reaction to a particular drug, u still go ahead and prescribe it without carrying out necessary reactivity tests on the patient? In a case where this can not be easily determined or tested, do u just prescribe on assumptions? So a pharmacist changed a prescription without knowing the patient's medical history and all u can say is a dr can make same misrake or it was a mistake. A mistake that could send him to the great beyond. If it was in a developed country, do u know how much this particular guy could have made from the "mistake'. This in what is called involuntary man slaughter, your eyes will clear when they charge the pharmacist with that should the guy have died. what do u mean by mistake. i hope u remembered Jackson's personal physician. Cos rubbish go on unchecked here does not give u the right to say nonsense!
I dare u to make this kind of foolish comments in the public, not under the cover of internet and see if u won't be sanctioned or medical license withdrawn. Nonsense!
you are too full of yourself! when do you do reactivity test on people if not until they've reacted to a particular medication them self? and what's the known reactivity to azithromycin as a drug or do you think that drug will still be out there if it's know to be harmful to people? mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without an order. The dude reacted to the drug and that was it. It's neither the fault of the pharmacist nor the drug. you write as if there's no responsibility on the pharmacist and like she can't be sued for error.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by drered(m): 8:05am On Jul 11, 2016
doe:

Go look at how it's done in developed countries since you think they can play doctor! Smh!
On the contrary it is you that should go look at how it is done so you start appreciating sanity, team effort and collective team input. Agitate for better facilities and how government can avail M. D'S opportunities to expand their knowledge via foreign residencies and not this unnecessary squabble yall gladly engage in
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by datigbogirl: 11:57am On Jul 11, 2016
frenchwine:
I read the first thread but refused to comment in order not to appear biased. Now that he has shed more light on the matter I think I should say something :
> What the boy went through was a hypersensitivity reaction to Azithromycin which prompted the severe form of asthma attack called Status Asthmaticus. Note that even Ciprofloxacin can trigger such an attack.
>The pharmacist is wrong by switching his meds without the consent of his doctor who should know him better however, even a doctor could prescribe Azithromycin (what the pharmacist gave him) because that drug is better for the condition he complained of. Reason being that he has not had a previous episode of hypersensitivity to Azithromycin, he wouldn't be able to offer such history, so even a doctor can make such 'mistake'.
> The only error of the pharmacist is taking up the responsibility of prescription which shouldn't have been done, otherwise, the boy should hold his chill and thank his stars that this happened in a place like Lagos where there are facilities to manage status asthmaticus.
>Lastly, his parents should call him to order, he is constituting a nuisance on social media.
Though I'm a doctor, buh I'm showing some love to the pharmacists cos any doctor could make same 'mistake '.

Now that the dude appears to be hypersensitive to a Macrolide don't you think he'll most likely be allergic to Penicillins such as Ampicillin, Amoxicillin and it's derivatives? because Macrolides are given in place of allergy to Penicillin's but here is someone being allergic to a Macrolide as well... To be honest I've never heard of Macrolide Hypersensitivity as is usually the drug of choice in case of Penicillin hypersensitivity.

Just wanna learn..
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by doe: 12:02pm On Jul 11, 2016
drered:

On the contrary it is you that should go look at how it is done so you start appreciating sanity, team effort and collective team input. Agitate for better facilities and how government can avail M. D'S opportunities to expand their knowledge via foreign residencies and not this unnecessary squabble yall gladly engage in

You are all over the place with this. Am out of here. Do have a splendid day.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jul 11, 2016
datigbogirl:

Now that the dude appears to be hypersensitive to a Macrolide don't you think he'll most likely be allergic to Penicillins such as Ampicillin, Amoxicillin and it's derivatives? because Macrolides are given in place of allergy to Penicillin's but here is someone being allergic to a Macrolide as well... To be honest I've never heard of Macrolide Hypersensitivity as is usually the drug of choice in case of Penicillin hypersensitivity.

Just wanna learn..

Truly, macrolide hypersensitivity aren't widely documented as they're rare. Perhaps it's the use in asthmatic patients (whose mast cells are already primed anyway) which brings about the hypersensitivity reaction. I have never used it for an asthmatic patient so I don't know if it's a general thing or its just peculiar to him.
On the other hand, since he now has a known hypersensitivity to the macrolides, there is a chance he could cross react to the penicillins. However I have always known that penicillins(or their derivatives) are relatively contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to cephalosporins and perhaps imipenem.
In a patient like this (and other asthmatics), I think it's ideal for them to receive a test dose of whatever medication they would be given, before they're placed on it. In that way, we would play safe on both ends........
I am also learning......
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 11, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

you are too full of yourself! when do you do reactivity test on people if not until they've reacted to a particular medication them self? and what's the known reactivity to azithromycin as a drug or do you think that drug will still be out there if it's know to be harmful to people? mind you, he walked into the pharmacy without an order. The dude reacted to the drug and that was it. It's neither the fault of the pharmacist nor the drug. you write as if there's no responsibility on the pharmacist and like she can't be sued for error.
You really have time for the dude. True, they need an education buh who is gonna educate a judgemental person? Surely not me.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by datigbogirl: 2:56pm On Jul 11, 2016
frenchwine:

Truly, macrolide hypersensitivity aren't widely documented as they're rare. Perhaps it's the use in asthmatic patients (whose mast cells are already primed anyway) which brings about the hypersensitivity reaction. I have never used it for an asthmatic patient so I don't know if it's a general thing or its just peculiar to him.
On the other hand, since he now has a known hypersensitivity to the macrolides, there is a chance he could cross react to the penicillins. However I have always known that penicillins(or their derivatives) are relatively contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to cephalosporins and perhaps imipenem.
In a patient like this (and other asthmatics), I think it's ideal for them to receive a test dose of whatever medication they would be given, before they're placed on it. In that way, we would play safe on both ends........
I am also learning......

Thanx for the subtle correction of my oversight on Penicillins.... Ampicillin, Amoxicillin etc is it's derivatives while Benzathine, Aqueous and Procaine Penicillin is d main forms of Penicillin.

I still find it difficult to believe there's actually a Macrolide hypersensitivity tho... Cos if that's the case then the Doctor may have been coincidentally right in giving the px Ciprofloxacin seeing he'll most likely be reactive to Penicillins and Cephalosporins as well.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2016
datigbogirl:

Thanx for the subtle correction of my oversight on Penicillins.... Ampicillin, Amoxicillin etc is it's derivatives while Benzathine, Aqueous and Procaine Penicillin is d main forms of Penicillin.

I still find it difficult to believe there's actually a Macrolide hypersensitivity tho... Cos if that's the case then the Doctor may have been coincidentally right in giving the px Ciprofloxacin seeing he'll most likely be reactive to Penicillins and Cephalosporins as well.
Yeah, likely. It's actually unusual for quinolones to be given as a first line treatment of respiratory infections. So yes, the prescribing physicians (which I believe are his parents)would have known about his possible allergy to Penicillins and macrolides.

1 Like

Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by nelszx: 8:44pm On Jul 11, 2016
drered:

Don't be silly by insinuating that all pharmacists do is to dispense drugs doctors prescribe.

Don't mind dem dey think everyone in a pharmaceutical store is a pharmacist and everyone in a Medical laboratory is a Medical laboratory scientist
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by sweet4(f): 8:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
Kindly check the word contradict then rephrase your statement angry angry
koboko69:

Contradicting ur self. How is this the same? Africa and Nigeria is on a long thing.
Re: UPDATE :There s no ERROR on the man who almost Died From A 'prescription Error' by Augusttusrobben(m): 6:57pm On Feb 07, 2017
Happy Birthday . Love To Hear From You.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Experience Pain When Urinating / Okonjo Iweala: Nigeria Might Get COVID-19 Vaccines From January 2021 / UNIZIK Graduate Dies During Childbirth At Lagos Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.