Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,129 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? (34690 Views)

60% Of Married Women Don’t Love Their Husbands- Lady Says, See Response / Why Do Some Married Women Cheat? / Why Do Most Single Ladies Get Angry When Addressed As 'ma' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
shaybebaby:

No law as far as he is aware, most women keep their father's name and compound it with the spouses surname especially if there are children.
But most commonly, women retain their maiden names, his grandma still goes by her maiden name even though she has been married since she was 16. They do this for convenience and retaining the identity they were born with. Not something new as a consequence of feminism as your mate would like to imply.xx

Thanks a lot. Very interesting. Who would have thought?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by achimotan(m): 7:50pm On Jul 11, 2016
darkenedrebel:

But this has and is still practiced in some parts in Ghana. I cannot remember the names of the tribes now, but in those tribes in Ghana, the man takes up the woman's name. It's not necessarily a 'western ideology' as you put it.

There is no tribe that does that

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Ishilove: 8:06pm On Jul 11, 2016
oweniwe:

Well...

But 95% of women want it like that....

95% women want to change their father's name to husband ' s name and be called Mrs...

In short, that's what women want...!!.. cheesy
I belong to the 5% cheesy cheesy

If I had my way I will not change my name because it is brand cheesy
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Eyop: 8:10pm On Jul 11, 2016
Ishilove:

Unfortunately, no way cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 8:17pm On Jul 11, 2016
Acidosis:

Do you have a younger sister? smiley Can I boycott the price and still marry her? smiley

Meanwhile, changing to the husband's name is not for mere identification. In fact, that is the only thing that shows a woman is married aside the material ring which can be worn and purchased by anyone. Every other frivolous activities including the millions spent on a Saturday, jollof rice, aso ebi and wedding gown, are the actual mere.

I have more than one sef. It's not my business.

Your opinion.
It is for identification with the new family. As long as a marriage took place (even if it's in a sitting room) and both parties see themselves as one and a couple, who cares what name anyone bears?

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 8:20pm On Jul 11, 2016
joseph1832:
Exactly. Its the very thing that is wrong with this country.

You can say that again
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Ishilove: 8:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
Eyop:

Unfortunately, no way cheesy cheesy

It may shock when I hyphenate my maiden nama. Eg, Ishilove ++**a-Eyop cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Eyop: 8:43pm On Jul 11, 2016
Ishilove:

It may shock when I hyphenate my maiden name. Eg, Ishilove ++**a-Eyop cheesy cheesy

You sef kuku ma know say me no go gree you use your maiden name join Eyop. If you even provoke me sef,i go change ya Isxxxoma to Ibibio name come supplement am with your new 3rd nameangry angry
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Acidosis(m): 9:06pm On Jul 11, 2016
HaneefahRN:

I have more than one sef. It's not my business.

Your opinion.
It is for identification with the new family. As long as a marriage took place (even if it's in a sitting room) and both parties see themselves as one and a couple, who cares what name anyone bears?

It is not your business, but it is the responsibility of the family to receive the price. You have no say on that subject actually.

Again, names are very significant in this part of the world. It is one of those things feminism may not be able to erase anytime soon. Although I see them agitating for equality in names soon grin grin A time would come when women would be called Buhari, and Jonathan. We might soon begin to call our boys Aisha, Haneefah
grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by BloodyCrook: 9:11pm On Jul 11, 2016
Ishilove:

Every married woman should change her name to her husband's. Bearing your maiden name will not only confuse your lineage, it would become open grounds for invest in large, itinerant families.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by shaybebaby(f): 9:38pm On Jul 11, 2016
Mindfulness:

Thanks a lot. Very interesting. Who would have thought?
Somehow I don't think they give it as much thought as we do. You are welcome Hun. X

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by naptu2: 11:46pm On Jul 11, 2016
Ishilove:

It may shock when I hyphenate my maiden nama. Eg, Ishilove ++**a-Eyop cheesy cheesy

Your maiden nama?? shocked

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by ksat: 12:13am On Jul 12, 2016
achimotan:

There is no tribe that does that

Lol... damn ass ignorants say all manner ish bou Ghana
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:58am On Jul 12, 2016
Acidosis:

It is not your business, but it is the responsibility of the family to receive the price. You have no say on that subject actually.

I'm just concerned about all your cries.

Again, names are very significant in this part of the world. It is one of those things feminism may not be able to erase anytime soon. Although I see them agitating for equality in names soon grin grin A time would come when women would be called Buhari, and Jonathan. We might soon begin to call our boys Aisha, Haneefah
grin

Sorry, you didn't make sense. Or was that meant as a very dry joke?

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Ishilove: 8:28am On Jul 12, 2016
naptu2:

Your maiden nama?? shocked
Naptu2!! Rotfl! cheesy cheesy

It seems like I have taught you how to troll, and you sir, are a precocious student angry
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 8:33am On Jul 12, 2016
shaybebaby:

No law as far as he is aware, most women keep their father's name and compound it with the spouses surname especially if there are children.
But most commonly, women retain their maiden names, his grandma still goes by her maiden name even though she has been married since she was 16. They do this for convenience and retaining the identity they were born with. Not something new as a consequence of feminism as your mate would like to imply.xx
Hi shaybebaby, do you read Italian?
I'm asking cos the article stating my point is written in Italian, so maybe my translate app gave me a meaning that was lost in translation.

The Italian Civil Code (Article 143 bis) is what I need you to translate. You could ask your Italian spouse to do it for you.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Ishilove: 8:34am On Jul 12, 2016
BloodyCrook:
Every married woman should change her name to her husband's. Bearing your maiden name will not only confuse your lineage, it would become open grounds for invest in large, itinerant families.
I've been with that name all my life so letting go is like letting go of something very very dear to me.

I may consider attaching to my husband's name by hyphenation.

Well depending on what his name will be. If he has a name like 'Aigbolosimuan', or 'Akporobomerenrenren', (Ali baba's surname), then there will be a problem undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 8:36am On Jul 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

If I were drooling all over you, you would say 'yes ma, amen' even to feminism. grin grin grin

Anyway, it's a pity people are unable to have civil discussions here. The thread has changed into something else again. undecided
Lol, the thread didn't change into anything new that we aren't used to.

You don't have to read comments you have no interest in, just continue your own discussion unhindered cheesy
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 8:37am On Jul 12, 2016
larabae13:
hey crackhaus...I wish to solicit for ur support/vote for falconey for mr nairaland 2016, i'm sure u would be impressed with his threads wen u visit his profile for review. I look foward to a favorable reply from you dear. Thanks so much...sorry I intruded on ur post wink
Okay then, I recognize that handle.
Just mention me when they start the competition.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 8:46am On Jul 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You can go about it this way once you find a female you want to marry.

I believe that the fact that a man has no sons and one of his daughters decides to keep her father's name is understandable, too.
I also understand that some women feel very strong about their family's name and wouldn't want to give it up. They have been carrying this name for decades and for one reason or another love it. What's so bad about it?
I didn't address this bit yesterday cos I needed to go offline.

There's nothing bad about it all, but this excuse is something I keep hearing from majority of women who prefer to keep their fathers name.
So you all say the reason could be that she intends to keep her father's name maybe because there are no sons to do it.

The question I usually ask and which I hope you will give an answer to is,
What surname will the woman's kids bear?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 8:50am On Jul 12, 2016
BloodyCrook:
You are here again with your plans. Before anything let me point you to hard facts.

When Nigeria enacted the anti-gay laws, the BBC reported that Nigerians who didnt support gay was a whooping 89%, then it asked the question why would a country so overwhelmingly against homosexuality pass the law?

And the BBC answered that question all by itself: because the West is trying to arm twist African government into accepting it as part of fundamental human rights .

When Ghana sought to pass the antigay laws, David Cameron the disgraced UK prime Minister told Ghana in no uncertain terms that food grants, aids and benefits will be stopped!!! More than 70% of Ghana's budget is dependent on Western aid.

Darkenedrebel, I know your sole purpose is to get warm and comfortable with elderly women so you can scam and betray them like you did in Romance section and got busted. The shortest way to achieve this is to support and endorse questionable polices and conventions.

You claimed to be 19 years of age, but a close look at your activities shows you stalk and suck up to older females in their 30's.

You don't know anything beyond movie lines and Google abuse.

In 2014 gays in great Britain were just 2% of the population yet they are forcing Africans to institutionalise gay. That doesn't tell you anything of course.

You're only looking for a dollar from some lonely, love-beaten elderly woman here.

Cc Crackhaus
Francis18
Joseph1832
Iamord
Why did you bother?

Only a toddler will not know how the US tries to hoodwink other countries into accepting homosexuality.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Ishilove: 9:02am On Jul 12, 2016
Eyop:

You sef kuku ma know say me no go gree you use your maiden name join Eyop. If you even provoke me sef,i go change ya Isxxxoma to Ibibio name come supplement am with your new 3rd nameangry angry
See them. This is how you know men who will be unbending overlords in their matrimonial home. Mscheeew angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by shaybebaby(f): 9:07am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Hi shaybebaby, do you read Italian?
I'm asking cos the article stating my point is written in Italian, so maybe my translate app gave me a meaning that was lost in translation.

The Italian Civil Code (Article 413 bis) is what I need you to translate. You could ask your Italian spouse to do it for you.
Okay will do, you and mindfulness owe me several cups of coffee for this. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 9:11am On Jul 12, 2016
shaybebaby:

Lol. It's 143, not 413. I've edited it.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 12, 2016
shaybebaby:

No problem. wink kiss
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

I didn't address this bit yesterday cos I needed to go offline.

There's nothing bad about it all, but this excuse is something I keep hearing from majority of women who prefer to keep their fathers name.
So you all say the reason could be that she intends to keep her father's name maybe because there are no sons to do it.

The question I usually ask and which I hope you will give an answer to is,
What surname will the woman's kids bear?

The reasons why a woman wishes to do so are diverse and I wouldn't say they are excuses although I know that you will say that the reason that a father has no sons is an excuse as the family name will die off the moment the daughter who keeps his name dies because - in most countries - the kids keep their father's name.

What surname the kids will bear is also for the couple to decide. In the countries that you have mentioned (Italy, Greece) kids bear their father's name.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, the thread didn't change into anything new that we aren't used to.

You don't have to read comments you have no interest in, just continue your own discussion unhindered cheesy

You are right but I would love to see discussions on a different level.
The fact that people quickly become personal and verbally abusive is a sign of helplessness and weakness, in my opinion.
Whenever people run out of arguments or feel unable to pass their points across, they start insulting other people.

The Brexit debate has perfectly shown what a sophisticated culture of debating the British have. I was full of admiration and I rarely feel any admiration for the British. grin

Debating should be done like sports, according to rules and the principle of fairness.

Now since I am a very emotional being cheesy , I know that it is more difficult to keep one's cool on some days than on others but some people have made a habit of uncivil and disrespectful behavior just because their hide behind their screens.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 9:59am On Jul 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

The reasons why a woman wishes to do so are diverse and I wouldn't say they are excuses although I know that you will say that the reason that a father has no sons is an excuse as the family name will die off the moment the daughter who keeps his name dies because - in most countries - the kids keep their father's name.

What surname the kids will bear is also for the couple to decide. In the countries that you have mentioned (Italy, Greece) kids bear their father's name.
Lol..what I like about you when we argue - you already figured out where I was going.

The summary is that for whatever reason that can be thought of which could make a woman insist on retaining her father's name, it's almost certain that this name will live only as long as she is alive....because in most cases, the children from that marriage will bear their father's surname and not the hyphenated surname which has their maternal grandfather's name included in it.

So what is the point at the end of the day to keep the maiden name, when the woman's father's name will still end with the woman? cheesy
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by crackhaus: 10:02am On Jul 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

You are right but I would love to see discussions on a different level.
The fact that people quickly become personal and verbally abusive is a sign of helplessness and weakness, in my opinion.
Whenever people run out of arguments or feel unable to pass their points across, they start insulting other people.

The Brexit debate has perfectly shown what a sophisticated culture of debating the British have. I was full of admiration and I rarely feel any admiration for the British. grin

Debating should be done like sports, according to rules and the principle of fairness.

Now since I am a very emotional being cheesy , I know that it is more difficult to keep one's cool on some days than on others but some people have made a habit of uncivil and disrespectful behavior just because their hide behind their screens.
Yimu! See who is preaching..

Are you and most of your lady friends here not the Queens of snide remarks/comments? gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol..what I like about you when we argue - you already figured out where I was going.

The summary is that for whatever reason that can be thought of which could make a woman insist on retaining her father's name, it's almost certain that this name will live only as long as she is alive....because in most cases, the children from that marriage will bear their father's surname and not the hyphenated surname which has their maternal grandfather's name included in it.

So what is the point at the end of the day to keep the maiden name, when the woman's father's name will still end with the woman? cheesy

For as long as they are alive, the name is. I don't think they will bother once they part from this world but it is of value for as long as they are alive.

And since most Nigerians have more than two kids, one of them could as well take on the mother's name.
I don't find this solution convienent but some other people may.
Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

Yimu! See who is preaching..

Are you and most of your lady friends here not the Queens of snide remarks/comments? gringrin

I am not preaching. I am advertising for a healthy debate culture. When I see political debates on TV, I feel that this is what we need urgently. It would do a lot of good.

And I have mentioned that i am not innocent either but I am not responsible for other ladies on this forum.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Married Women Have To Be Addressed As Mrs? by shaybebaby(f): 11:19am On Jul 12, 2016
crackhaus:

That is not what you should read up on.

You said that even taking one's husband name could be a borrowed culture, because we can't know what was happening in the very old days.

And I said you can know what happened in the very distant history of Nigeria by reading to know what was and was not, generally speaking.
You are reaching a bit far and generalising because we all know that Nigeria encompasses many cultures, there are over 350 active languages and cultures. So moving away from colonisation and the amalgamation of these different tribes, how can you assert boldly that YOU know what was prior..for all tribes?
Might need to hit those books again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

About To Break Up With My Girlfriend Because Of Risk Of Travelling In Nigeria / Court Dissolves Marriage Of Woman Who Collects N500 From Husband Before Sex / My Husband Doesn't Want Me To Be Close To His Brothers. Is He Normal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.