Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,685 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc - Foreign Affairs (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc (987934 Views)

President Zuma Had Telephonic Discussions With President Trump / Photos: Heavy U.S Military Equipments Arrives Germany Against Russian. / @elbinawi Tweets On International Qudsday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:21am On Aug 31, 2016
MikeCZA:
The Porcupine Mk.2.

Intended for use against light to heavy vehicles. An interesting capability of these IED is that it was designed to disintegrate vehicles during the explosion and cause heavy shrapnel peppering other nearby vehicles and dismounted infantry.

You didn't know about the Porcupine don't you? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

To find out about it on the internet your googling skills gotta be on level 1 Trillion. grin

The Porcupine Mk.2 IED ?
first time i am hearing about it grin grin grin

my conclusions are different , if you look carefully , it seems the IED was designed to behave more like a LINEAR SHAPED CHARGE , it literally split the vehicle into two , however the explosive effect / multiple secondary particulating jet was so powerful that it over killed the target by breaking into pieces the two split parts.

as you will know Linear Shaped Charges are explosives enclosed in a seamless metal sheath designed to cut metal or other solid materials. They are fabricated in continuous lengths shaped in the form on an inverted "V". When detonated, the V-shaped metal liner with explosive core produces a jet that will create a uniform linear cutting action. The high velocity jet impacts the target with pressures exceeding the target's yield strength and literally pushes the target material to either side of the path of the jet. The cutting action can be accentuated by controlling the Linear Shaped Charge dimensions and configuration, explosive type and load, liner thickness and continuity.

it is not so hard to manufacture if you know how to do it and have the tools.
if the apex angle of the liner is between 80-100 degree the linear jet formation will be optimal to produce the desired effect. the linear shaped charge detonates on impact, liquefying metal, which melts even a tanks armor. the jet is a high temperature plasma about 20,000 degree. the jet reaches a density several times that of steel, and the armor becomes plastic and yields whilst the jet torch assists by melting and burning the armor metal.if multiple liners was used then i am 90 % sure the effects will be same as seen in the video due to multiple secondary particulating jet dispersing radially at long standoff distances.

some expert demolition guy must have designed it. this is just my conclusion grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 31, 2016
MikeCZA:
Someone is about to lose teeth. grin grin grin

lol teeth only ?

grin grin grin
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2016
Two Water Jet Propelled Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC) of the Indian Navy

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 31, 2016
nemesis2u:

Indian shipbuilding capability is quite advanced. They are on the same level as China. Lovely looking boats.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

Indian shipbuilding capability is quite advanced. They are on the same level as China. Lovely looking boats.

Indian ship builders will be blushing at ur praise. grin

from where i see Indians are still 5-10 years behind in ship building infra structure , but recently private ship builders have jumped in a big way into naval manufacturing so except the gap to be closed faster.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 31, 2016
nemesis2u:

Indian ship builders will be blushing at ur praise. grin

from where i see Indians are still 5-10 years behind in ship building infra structure , but recently private ship builders have jumped in a big way into naval manufacturing so except the gap to be closed faster.

I'm referring to surface vessels only. Yes, i maintain Indian naval shipbuilders have come of age. Yeah, the Indian navy still imports from Russia..... But, they( you guys) have come of age.

INS Kolkata is one of my favorite ships. GAO and PiPavav are delivering on pretty nice OPVs, Corvettes and Frigates.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 31, 2016
nemesis2u:

What are the specs of the vessels.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:17pm On Aug 31, 2016
Saryu class OPV, its stats are that of a frigate but classified as a OPV. in times of war it can be fitted with armament befitting a light frigate.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

What are the specs of the vessels.

These vessels are designed as a cost-effective platform for patrol, anti-piracy and rescue operations in India's Exclusive Economic Zone.

The vessels feature improved habitability with fully air-conditioned modular accommodation, on board reverse osmosis plant for desalination, and a sewage treatment plant.

Displacement:325 tons
Length:48.9 m (160 ft)
Depth:4 m (13 ft)
Propulsion:3 water jet propulsion engines producing 11,238 hp (8,380 kW)
Speed:35 kn (65 km/h; 40 mph)+
Range:2,000 mi (1,700 nmi; 3,200 km) at 12–14 knots (22–26 km/h; 14–16 mph)
Crew:4 officers and 45 sailors
Sensors and processing systems:
Furuno navigation radar
LINK II tactical datalink and satellite communication (SATCOM) to Rukmani
Surface search radars
Sonar

Armament:
1 × CRN-91 30mm autocannon
(The CRN-91 Naval gun is gyro stabilized and is directed by electro-optic fire control system (FCS) of Bharat Electronic LTD make for day and night use, mounted on an cupola. It can also be remotely operated.The CRN-91 Naval gun is not a sophisticated weapon but its operational cost is very low.)
Igla SA-18 SAM
2 × 12.7mm HMGs
ASW capability
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 3:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
Iranian speed boats armed with multi barrel rocket launchers

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2016
Syrian missile boat (speed boat ? ) Tir II (Zolfaghar) armed with Chinese anti ship missile C802 ( not sure it can be other too )

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 31, 2016
ambassador mk3 class missile boat

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 31, 2016
hayabusa class patrol vessel

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:16pm On Aug 31, 2016
Swedish CB90-class fast assault craft

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 31, 2016
nemesis2u:
Iranian speed boats armed with multi barrel rocket launchers

More like Kawazaki boats. The Iranians deploying swarm tactics against heavy Frigates and Destroyers could work. With a low silhouette, they would be harder to hit and very easy to replace when destroyed.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 31, 2016
nemesis2u:

7mm HMGs ASW capability
Very decent platform.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 31, 2016
Indian Navy's heavily armed 1,350t Project 25A Kora Class Guided Missile Corvettes. Kora Class is also known as a pocket destroyer because of the 16 x 3M-24E anti-ship missiles.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 4:37pm On Aug 31, 2016
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 4:45pm On Aug 31, 2016
Saw this analysis of the Saudi ambush.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-KAG-9uD5I08/V748QtRzMYI/AAAAAAABUJo/RxT1bEHjlQQmwMWftkWeypHUUPQEOFXUgCLcB/s640/1.jpg[/img]
Lead vehicle hits a rut in the road and loses its axle. Trail vehicle following too closely for the speed being traveled rear ends it. Apparently the crash causes the two back tires on the right side of the vehicle to deflate. This should not have been a mobility kill. I'm sure the driver of the LAV probably sustained serious injuries in the crash.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-TAde_kiJCV8/V748QkfeBsI/AAAAAAABUJg/uJvUCWcjBuYlJF8vDVaezX8QfGKLK-jBgCLcB/s640/2.jpg[/img]
The third vehicle in this tragic comedy zooms around the first two. This was the chance to assist his comrades but he was having none of that and simply unassed the area at high speed. I guess the thought was better "you than me".

[img]http://2.bp..com/-S1o2LWBVWaw/V748Qm7bUVI/AAAAAAABUJk/xOYrdCZFpzsezC9C5Pxm35XJFbeNbebKgCLcB/s640/3.jpg[/img]
The survivors of the crash realizes they're in deep doo-doo. I can't even imagine the conversations going on inside the vehicles at this time. The radio communication back to whatever HQ is probably laced with profanity. I'm sure prayers were said.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-BQwaunO6n88/V748Q4jZg4I/AAAAAAABUJs/IJOQeZdEKfY8QcHoGkulplN09BGhP9BpQCLcB/s640/4.jpg[/img]
Didn't notice it the first time I saw the vid but the turret attempts to orient toward the enemy. I never saw it fire and the fact that the rear hatch is open means that at least one person in the vehicle has made a decision to leave on foot. The fate of one guy trying to hoof it out is shown on vid. He sprints for what looks like a half mile to me (world record fashion) and is finally clipped in the ankle and sent to Allah.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-YNERbucMeZU/V748Q7eAZ2I/AAAAAAABUJw/8-RFocnngxMnZ8IAqHU2SKToaqP5WFuZwCLcB/s640/5.jpg[/img]
The death of the 8x8 IFV. I never saw rocket fire and it appears that they killed it with small arms. I have to repeat. Not counting personal weapons, but with the 90mm on the LAV, plus the 50 cal on the Hummer, the ambushed force had FAR MORE FIREPOWER than the enemy. They quite simply had no idea where to fire.

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2016
Henry240:

More like Kawazaki boats. The Iranians deploying swarm tactics against heavy Frigates and Destroyers could work. With a low silhouette, they would be harder to hit and very easy to replace when destroyed.

to gauge the effectiveness of a weapon system always think of its kill chain.it will revel the vulnerability of the concerned system.

not too accurate but just to give u a idea of the kill chain associated with the above Iranian boats ( my hypothesis )
for a successful kill the speed boat/boats has to...

1.Locate the target (how is the speed boats gonna locate the target since it carries no sensors. it will require external help from airborne or much capable platform which will be detected and destroyed easily).

2.discriminate between targets/prioritize the targets and acquire initial targeting data (again not possible with external help , any emissions/comms will give away their location and make them vulnerable to counter fire) .

3.acquire target lock with optimal fire control solution (again will require external real time data ie off the ship help eg sea skimming mode or vertical dive mode etc etc depending of the target)

4.target and engage ie arrive at the optimal position for best desired fire for effect (swarming tactics to converge at the various vantage points require coordination via comms etc , disruption of these will/may result in mission failure)

if any of the nodes of the kill chain are disrupted it will spell doom for the kamikaze speed boats.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 31, 2016
Russian Buyan M Corvette Project 21631 very powerful arsenal for a corvette , has other variants too ,3 ships of the class launched cruise missiles at targets in Syria. The missiles flew nearly 1,500 kilometres (930 mi) over Iran and Iraq and struck targets in Raqqa and Aleppo provinces.

buyan-class corvette designated Project 21630 has 2 other variants
Project 21631 "Buyan-M" , Project 21632 "Tornado"

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:47pm On Aug 31, 2016
cochin shipyard limited Aadesh-class fast patrol vessels for coast guard

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 5:58pm On Aug 31, 2016
ICGS Samarth OPV for coast guard ,provision exists for arming during war

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:40pm On Aug 31, 2016
1.The Varunastra is an Indian heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo, developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO for the Indian Navy.The ship launched variant of Varunastra torpedo was formally inducted in the Indian navy on 26 June 2016. With some minor modifications the submarine variant of the torpedo is to be test fired shortly.

This torpedo is powered by an electric propulsion system with multiple 250 KWs Silver Oxide Zinc (AgOZn) batteries. It can achieve speeds in excess of 40 kn (74 km/h; 46 mph), weighs around 1.25 tons and can carry 250 kg (550 lb) of conventional warhead. This torpedo has more than 95 per cent indigenous content. Varunastra has conformal array transducer which enables it look at wider angles than most common torpedoes. It is also has advanced autonomous guidance algorithms with low drift navigational aids, insensitive warhead which can operate in various combat scenarios. It is the only torpedoes in the world to have a GPS-based locating aid.

The exercise variant of Varunastra has integrated instrumentation system for recording all the dynamic parameters of the weapon, redundancy in recovery aids in case of emergency shut down or malfunction.

Operational range 40 km (25 mi)
Maximum depth 400 metres
Speed 40 knots (74 km/h; 46 mph)
Guidance system wire-guided, active-passive acoustic homing
Warhead weight 250 kg

2.The Advanced Light Torpedo (TAL) Shyena is the first indigenous advanced lightweight anti-submarine torpedo of India, developed by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory of the DRDO for the Indian Navy.

shyena is a processor based torpedo which incorporates solid-state electronics, digital technology and has been equipped with an integrated Active/Passive sensor package for homing. It is designed to be capable of launching from both a helicopter or from a triple-tube launcher on surface vessels. Its key design feature are maneuverability and ability to transition from warm to cold medium to ensure a hunt and kill.

Shyena is electrically propelled, and can target submarines with a speed of 33 knots with endurance of six minutes in both shallow and deep waters. It can operate at depths of a few hundred meters and has self-homing, i.e. it can home in on targets by passive/active homing and explode on impact. Once launched, it can perform pre-programmed search patterns for available targets. The torpedo weighs around 220 kg.it is in operational service.

3.The NSTL-developed Shakti thermal torpedo runs on monopropellant fuel, which can burn without oxygen and so is useful in underwater operations. Under development since 1996, the NSTL took nearly seven years to develop the engine and fuel for Shakti. The monopropellant fuel can generate 400kW of power and enable the Shakti to move at faster speeds (almost double that of an electric torpedo) and at depths of up to 600 metres. Technical trials of the Shakti are still underway in shallow waters, and user-trials won’t commence till 2016 at best.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 31, 2016
just some posters on anti submarine system and anti torpedo decoy system grin

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 31, 2016
Iraqi airforce and army aviation platforms, not all are included, like the mi-28 night hunter.

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by chinese8107: 8:57am On Sep 01, 2016
China amphtious plane/ground effect boat

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 3:04am On Sep 02, 2016
First Electric Plane in China. Proudly manufactured and designed by my school cheesy cheesy

Oga henry see those UAV models don't you think Nigeria should have a nice design for her UAV?

1 Like

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by bidexiii: 7:51am On Sep 02, 2016
National Guard Apache helicopter is stuck in the mud after an emergency landing in the Baytown area overnight. https:///P0F42iY6p0

Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 8:46am On Sep 02, 2016
tdayof:
First Electric Plane in China. Proudly manufactured and designed by my school cheesy cheesy

Oga henry see those UAV models don't you think Nigeria should have a nice design for her UAV?

I'm very impressed, these are UAVs from your school?

Offcourse, we should have designs like that, i agree. We need to invest more in R&grin, the Gulma, Amebo and Ichoku are initial steps. I'm optimistic.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by tdayof(m): 8:56am On Sep 02, 2016
Henry240:

I'm very impressed, these are UAVs from your school?

Offcourse, we should have designs like that, i agree. We need to invest more in R&grin, the Gulma, Amebo and Ichoku are initial steps. I'm optimistic.
Yea they are from the school manufacturing plant. They are produced by students and lecturers. Most part were even produced by the school and it's communication equipment etc by telecommunication dept.

Yes Nigeria should really invest in R&grin. Any idea if Nigeria has a R&grin agency? I feel AFIT should be able to do better.
Re: Technical Discussions On International Military Equipments Doctrines Tactics Etc by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 02, 2016
tdayof:

Yea they are from the school manufacturing plant. They are produced by students and lecturers. Most part were even produced by the school and it's communication equipment etc by telecommunication dept.

Yes Nigeria should really invest in R&grin. Any idea if Nigeria has a R&grin agency? I feel AFIT should be able to do better.

We have many.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (667) (Reply)

American Politics Thread - 2024 Elections — Biden’s Presidency! / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . / Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.