Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,067 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? (5911 Views)

Can We Really Do Without Lagos? / Don’t Destroy NIA, Nigeria Can’t Survive Without It – Horsefall, Pioneer DG NIA / Reply To Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by josephni12: 5:56am On Jul 12, 2016
Nigerians not just Igbo's depends in Lagos ( to some extent) for economic survival because of the structure of lagos.
lagos is termed as center of excellence (who no go won excel) there for many tribes move to Lagos to excel so also may tribes move to abuja to unite.
even many Yoruba's in sw who are not originally lagos indigenes come in their mass to Lagos.
what structures in Lagos attracts many Nigerians and mostly Igbo's
1) Embassies and consulate offices. Most consulate offices and embassies are located either in Lagos or abuja. Therefore Igbo's by their very nature who travel outside the country a lot would either go to Lagos or abuja to get visa . Therefore in Ten Nigerians coming to Lagos to get a visa,four or three will be Igbo's. but if there are embassies in Enugu I don't need to get my visa in Lagos or abuja
2) international airports before now, if Nigerians where coming back home ( having a large Igbo diaspora) they would either go through Lagos or abuja, but now with Enugu airports receiving direct flights, I as an Igbo man (and many others in diaspora) who would want to visit home to Xmas will fly straight to Enugu then to my village
3) seaport. Although there are several seaports in Nigeria, Lagos is a major seaport in Nigeria before PH, critics would want to jump on me, why don't they import from pH and stop blaming yorubas. Igbo's for sure has majority of importers and exporters and also many shipping companies but why they keep importing from Lagos other than pH is because Lagos seaport has more depth or daught of like 13 m which is the deepest of all presently in the country which can contain larger ships and cargos than of ph, this is why shipping companies would always prefer Lagos port for more profit. ( why did the government construct ibaka deep-sea Port which has 16m depth more than Lagos )
therefore if I am an Igbo trader, with an ibaka, Lagos, pH seaport I will prefer the one of ibaka since it is near my market in Aba and onitsha .
Igbo's are well known travelers, business oriented, importers and exporters, traders than any other ethnic groups, Lagos being favorable to all these due government structures will attract Igbo's more than other tribes. the Lagos government should be happy with this as they make much money from tasking shipping companies, importers, exporters, airlines etc if not for the aforementioned igbos population in Lagos will almost be the same in Lagos , kano, Jos , etc

1 Like

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 6:17am On Jul 12, 2016
I tink u shld rephrase dis to 'can Lagos survive without igbos'

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by StOla: 6:49am On Jul 12, 2016
If you remember the cries from the SE when Fashola relocated destitutes to Anambra, having already done same to other regions without similar reaction, then your question was already answered then.

When you take candy from a kid, you should expect tears.

Take Lagos away from Igbos that claim Lagos need them, expect all manner of wailing and begging.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by psucc(m): 6:55am On Jul 12, 2016
Op you have thrown up a very good topic. there few lines that will help to shed more light:
1. The successive government had refused to developed or equipped or even allow other ports in other parts of the country to operate, thereby leaving the ports in Lagos the only options.

2. It's indisputable that over 60% of the importation business in the country is owned by the Igbo.

3. If 1&2 holds true, then Igbo can do without Lagos provided government govt will not tied the fortune of the whole country to one part.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jul 12, 2016
watch how the sub Jews will claim Lagos and yorubaland can't do without them.
when you ask what keeps them from achieving biabia,they will tell you yorubas are holding them.
after fashola deported them and deji ordered a season of merciless flogging in akure,they became sore depressed.
Yoruba(Lagos) land is their yondon

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by blackpanda: 7:07am On Jul 12, 2016
No they cant

Taking away lagos from Igbos is like taking away oxygen. because igbos are very industrious and hardworking. Its only a few that cause problems for the others

4 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by TANTUMERGO007(m): 7:12am On Jul 12, 2016
StOla:
If you remember the cries from the SE when Fashola relocated destitutes to Anambra, having already done same to other regions without similar reaction, then your question was already answered then.

Take Lagos away from Igbos that claim Lagos need them, expect all manner of wailing and begging.
DIRTY PEOPLE UNA THEY MAKE MOUTH

6 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by bewla(m): 7:17am On Jul 12, 2016
we need each order
Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by attackgat: 7:26am On Jul 12, 2016
StOla:

How can you be deporting someone and be shouting 'one Nigeria' at the same time? That act of hypocrisy is what infuriated most Igbos such as myself. Yorubas have since turned that deportation saga into a sign that Igbos can't do without Lagos. I have no doubt in my mind that if all Igbos Lagos left, the place would be dead within a year because like it or lump it, Yorubas don't have the level of 'commercial grit' Igbos have.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by otubobo: 7:28am On Jul 12, 2016
people don't import from pH...because the government have made one port an oil export zone mstchewww

1 Like

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by 33xtr33r: 7:30am On Jul 12, 2016
StOla:

"For Lagos State, more than 70% of the manufacturing concerns and major industries in the State are owned by the Igbos. If the Igbos were to stop paying tax in Lagos State, the IGR of Lagos State will reduce by over 60%. In contrast, Sir, go to the South East and look at the manufacturing concerns in Onitsha, Aba and Nnewi. Please don't forget those were areas ravaged by civil war a mere forty something years ago. The Igbos have certainly made tremendous progress but the Yoruba nation has regressed. I wish to state that this letter is not meant to whip up primordial considerations or ethnic sentiments but just to put things in proper perspective."
Maj. Gen Adebayo Adeyinka (rtd.)
https://www.nairaland.com/3173893/open-letter-asiwaju-bola-ahmed-tinubu

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 12, 2016
Suddenly everyone tries to make it seem the Igbos are their best friends.

Syddenly, so much articles praising the igbos here and there and why they should remain.

Somethang x fishy, seriously.....

what happened to insults mehn...its preferable

You all sayin and imply nice nice thangs now to them SE to make them feel good superficially.

They see via Caul masking una faces and hearts

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by nicedas(m): 7:41am On Jul 12, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
thank the ibos for bringing unemployment to the citizens of lagos state? You need brain training.

1 Like

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 12, 2016
nicedas:
thank the ibos for bringing unemployment to the citizens of lagos state? You need brain training.
oga we r mature na, e neva reach to dey insult me.I jst said my opinion.
wel insultin u bck wld b immaturity on my path

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by FlyoruB: 7:53am On Jul 12, 2016
Obviously Lagos with its 20million+ population represents their single largest market in Africa where they enjoy the freedom to trade and do business without hindrance. Igbos generally take the ethnicities that accept them into their markets as foolz and inferior for being dumb enough to allow them in to 'dominate and control' their turf. For this simple reason I doubt any sane independent nation won't enact protectionist policies against their encroachment, the Kenyans and Ghanaians have been smart enough to do just, but Yorubas obviously can't overtly do same thanks to timidity, cowardice, and 'One Nigeria' factor. Same can't be said for places like Rivers where even their own igboid kinsmen refuse to sell them land in parts of the state. Of course they can and will definitely survive without Lagos in the own independent country, only that their market access would be significantly smaller.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by DaBullIT(m): 7:54am On Jul 12, 2016
Maybe , as a matter of fact , i think not

One way or another , 88% Ibo have to hustle from / through or in Lagos or other Yoruba cities to make it in life, This fact is well established

Those saying manufacturing , businesses , whatever in Lagos belongs to Ibo , While you might be right , You should know that Lagos out of respect may have chosen not to compete with these manufacturing / businesses , if Ibos were to be evicted today , those companies wouldn't be vacant

finally , If there isn't something special, some sort of blessing and stability , economic growth and security in Lagos, I bet Nna boys wont cross 7 seas to come and establish anything in our beloved brown roof republic

So , With all of these said , i am quite certain Ibo can not survive without lagos

and just as a reminder , several companies , establishments are also owned by Yoruba in better places like Abuja ,

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Abagworo(m): 8:09am On Jul 12, 2016
Igbos don't depend one bit on Lagos but are rather part and parcel of what keeps Lagos afloat just like every other Nigerian. Igbos are everywhere in Nigeria including the remotest rural areas as traders and professionals helping to grow their host communities as well as make a fortune in the process.

6 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 12, 2016
attackgat:

How can you be deporting someone and be shouting 'one Nigeria' at the same time? That act of hypocrisy is what infuriated most Igbos such as myself. Yorubas have since turned that deportation saga into a sign that Igbos can't do without Lagos. I have no doubt in my mind that if all Igbos Lagos left, the place would be dead within a year because like it or lump it, Yorubas don't have the level of 'commercial grit' Igbos have.
you this young boy,if Igbo's with all their 'commercial grit' can't develop Onitsha and aba where they have higher population than Lagos to become Dubai, don't you think something is fundamentally wrong with them.

11 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 12, 2016
33xtr33r:

"For Lagos State, more than 70% of the manufacturing concerns and major industries in the State are owned by the Igbos.
You people need to stop fooling yourselves. If igbos own 70% of investments in Lagos, where will you place the Yorubas who own the land, the Hausas like dangote, other Nigerians and most especially the multinationals? Do you think owning 2 by 2 shops equates to controlling the investments of a state?

I believe you typed that junk from Aba. Pls, reason.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by IkpuMmadu: 8:15am On Jul 12, 2016
Hagm0nd:
you this young boy,if Igbo's with all their 'commercial grit' can't develop Onitsha and aba where they have higher population than Lagos to become Dubai, don't you think something is fundamentally wrong with them.

Every Yoruba man is a lagosian
Maybe Na cocoa money dem use build 3rd mainland bridge
Tomorrow
Gwari will claim that they developed Abuja

Can't Yoruba be proud of their cities like Ibadan and Oshogbo

Lagos was developed with oil money and we will repatriate all the money we make in Lagos back to east

Compete or get out

Darwin's theory

Survival if fittest ..this isn't ghana must go times

You are stuck

6 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by IkpuMmadu: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2016
Uf you want to know effects of Igbo in Lagos
Wait till Christmas
It's s simple as that

Who cares about the anonga peeps seff

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by PAINGAIN: 8:16am On Jul 12, 2016
StOla:

we complained then not because igbos were brought back home but because if this was one nigeria, why should anybody be deported from one part of the country to another? Back to the topic..... igbos can survive and live well even if you drop us in the middle of the ocean or desert. We will still triumph. Remove igbos from lagos and the igr of lagos will drop to 50billion naira.

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by ConqueredWest: 8:17am On Jul 12, 2016
Give Igbos inland river ports and see what will befall Lagos

1 Like

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by PAINGAIN: 8:18am On Jul 12, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
u don talk am finish. Igbos are the heart and soul of lagos. Remove the igbos and lagos will be dead.

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by IkpuMmadu: 8:23am On Jul 12, 2016
FlyoruB:
Obviously Lagos with its 20million+ population represents their single largest market in Africa where they enjoy the freedom to trade and do business without hindrance. Igbos generally take the ethnicities that accept them into their markets as foolz and inferior for being dumb enough to allow them in to 'dominate and control' their turf. For this simple reason I doubt any sane independent nation won't enact protectionist policies against their encroachment, the Kenyans and Ghanaians have been smart enough to do just, but Yorubas obviously can't overtly do same thanks to timidity, cowardice, and 'One Nigeria' factor. Same can't be said for places like Rivers where even their own igboid kinsmen refuse to sell them land in parts of the state. Of course they can and will definitely survive without Lagos in the own independent country, only that their market access would be significantly smaller.

The other idiot said that out of respect that Yoruba didn't want to compete..... that's crazy
Ok they agreed they have respect for Igbo

Then you said that the Igbo dominate

Are you not ashamed

Your father's have a ten year window to take over from 1967 to 1980 when igbo was suffering from post war challenges with just £20

You guys should be totally ashamed of yourself
How can you even compete with strangers
Keep up with the Omo Nile

Even education you guys are not even going to schools again

Shame
Shame
Shame

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 12, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Every Yoruba man is a lagosian
Maybe Na cocoa money dem use build 3rd mainland bridge
Tomorrow
Gwari will claim that they developed Abuja

Can't Yoruba be proud of their cities like Ibadan and Oshogbo

Lagos was developed with oil money and we will repatriate all the money we make in Lagos back to east

Compete or get out

Darwin's theory

Survival if fittest ..this isn't ghana must go times

You are stuck
see this pained man
what part of Lagos was developed with oil money the port your economic survival depends on.
who built niger bridge,if you so hate the 3mb blow it up
we are proud of our cities because majority of ibos will fight mind body and soul to trade and live in ibadan ,osogbo,akure etc than to stay back in alaibo and don't deny the fact we have clips showing how your ezendigbo are flogged all over the sw.
when the time comes una eyes go clear,remember the pogrom that how you provoked it.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by IkpuMmadu: 8:30am On Jul 12, 2016
Hagm0nd:
see this pained man
what part of Lagos was developed with oil money the port your economic survival depends on.
who built niger bridge,if you so hate the 3mb blow it up
we are proud of our cities because majority of ibos will fight mind body and soul to trade and live in ibadan ,osogbo,akure etc than to stay back in alaibo and don't deny the fact we have clips showing how your ezendigbo are flogged all over the sw.
when the time comes una eyes go clear,remember the pogrom that how you provoked it.

Yoruba man will always deny it....well I give up

So Lagos was never capital and don't they get proceeds from oil revenue as a seat of federal government...tomorrow gwari will say that Abuja wasn't developed with oil money

Well who takes Yoruba serious these days

If you are that good city builder

Pls develop Ibadan to Enugu or even Onitsha standard

Shame on you lazy butts

5 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by alade112(m): 8:36am On Jul 12, 2016
nnamdiokere45:
Before the invasion of u guys to lagos Didnt lagos survive The number of igbos in kano is more than that of Igbos in Ebonyi Why cant you reciprocate what you did in lagos to kano If you take lagos to that level, All SE state should have suppress lagos by now

4 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 12, 2016
IkpuMmadu:

Yoruba man will always deny it....well I give up

So Lagos was never capital and don't they get proceeds from oil revenue as a seat of federal government...tomorrow gwari will say that Abuja wasn't developed with oil money

Well who takes Yoruba serious these days

If you are that good city builder

Pls develop Ibadan to Enugu or even Onitsha standard

Shame on you lazy butts
IBO man why are you bitter.
Lagos was a federal capital and the revenue received was payment for our land,abuja belongs to gwari if you like better move your building out before another pogrom starts,
The port your people give as excuse why they are in Lagos was it built by oil revenue or by federal capital allocation.
comparing Enugu and Onitsha to Ibadan is the highest of foolishness.
drug peddling is not hard work,you dig.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by youngeagle(m): 8:45am On Jul 12, 2016
Just rephrase that topic,Igbos are born survivors,put them in the most remote village in kafanchan they will conquer and dominate,so ur Topic should be can lagos survive without the Igbos.

3 Likes

Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by kcnwaigbo: 8:48am On Jul 12, 2016
What stupid headline!! Over 90% of igbos live outside lagos so kini bug deal!!
Re: Can Igbos Survive Without Lagos? by IkpuMmadu: 8:49am On Jul 12, 2016
Hagm0nd:
IBO man why are you bitter.
Lagos was a federal capital and the revenue received was payment for our land,abuja belongs to gwari if you like better move your building out before another pogrom starts,
The port your people give as excuse why they are in Lagos was it built by oil revenue or by federal capital allocation.
comparing Enugu and Onitsha to Ibadan is the highest of foolishness.
drug peddling is not hard work,you dig.

Atleast the Ibadan peeps can turn to hardwork instead of soka forest

If you have guts go peddle drugs

Na person wey no get money for hug stout talk say stout bitter

Dude go and sit down

Yoruba are known to be lazy

In Lagos
The mile 12 market
I'ddo market
Alaba rago
Idi Araba

Are strongly Hausa markets

You know the markets igbo control
From trade fair to alaba international to idumota

Tell me one market that Yoruba control only to loaf around as iya Loja and Omo Nile

Dude make una go sit down

Na person wey no know una dey take una serious

Even entertainment ,education ,commerce you guys are not where to be found

Oga bounce

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why The Sudden Change In Nairaland ? I Hope You All Noticed This? / Lekki Massacre:st Nicholas Hospital Reacts / Fayose Destroying Rufai Right Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.